PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with .........

Socks
02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
My dog does not like to play with my little sister or my little brother. When eveer they get close to him he looks like he is going to bite them. He does not do it though. It just scares them. I dont know if it is that they ae little and are mean to him. Because he would not ever ever hurt any person. I hope someone can help me!!:(

Karen
02-20-2004, 08:35 AM
How old are they? How do they try to play with him?

You need to work on this. Keep your dog on the leash and with you. Make him sit, praise him for that, then let the kids come to you. They need to not act afraid.

When they approach, make sure he stays sitting. Praise him for this. Then they can pet him. It; a first step.

Has your dog been to any obedience training? How old is he/she?

binka_nugget
02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
How old is your dog? I think it'd be much easier with a pup but it's still possible to work with an adult as well.

Like Karen said, I suggest having him on a leash. Have him sit, praise him like crazy. Then allow one sibling at a time to slowly approach him and talk to him in a soothing manner. It's very important that you don't tighten the leash or act nervous. Dogs will sense when you are uptight and act on those feelings they're getting from you. Keep him sitting and praise. You can even try having your siblings asking him to sit and praising him. Just try having your siblings relatively close to him at random times around the house. He should get use to them and once he acts comfortable being close to them, they could approach him.

Socks
02-23-2004, 07:40 AM
My little sister is 6 years old and my brother is 4 years old. So they dont get along that much. Whenever they come to the room the dog runs off.:(

rizzy
02-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I have much to say, except to maybe introduce them, slowly with the dog on a leash and sitting down. I agree with everyone else, oh and GOOD LUCK!:)