PDA

View Full Version : Nail Clipping.....

tutebugs
02-19-2004, 09:30 PM
How often do I need to clip Chipper's nails? We got him a month ago tomorrow and his nails were newly clipped...when should I clip them..and how often after that?? And..how do I clip them? I have some clippers that have a stopper on the one side, will those work? Or do I need a special dog one? I'm wondering if I should just take him in to have his nails clipped.....

Shelteez2
02-19-2004, 09:34 PM
It all depends on how fast your dogs nails grow. I prefer to clip my dog's nails every couple weeks. That way they stay nice and short.

I think the best thing to do is take him somewhere to get it done and have them show you how to do it. You'll probably learn how better through a visual demonstration than through written instructions on the net.

Good luck!

binka_nugget
02-19-2004, 09:37 PM
I clip my dogs' two front paws every week. The back paws are rarely cut as they seem to stay short on their own. I'm obsessive with nails but generally, people cut them every 2-4 weeks.

To clip them, you clip the white part of the nail (unless your dog has black nails). The pink part is the quick and it's something you definately don't want to cut. It will cause some pain and make the experience much worse for the dog. Just be sure to clip slowly with little bits at a time so you don't accidentally cut the quick.

I use dog nail clippers but some people also dremel their dog's nails.

It's probably best to have a groomer, vet or a dog experienced person to show you first just until you understand how to do it.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-19-2004, 10:12 PM
what kind of dog is it? The chihuahua in the picture? On my chihuahua I actually use cat clippers. On black nails just cut off the triangle part at the tip. I would also advise having someone show you.