PDA

View Full Version : Eating and food problem!

DogLover9501
02-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Okay well, as I posted already, Jasper's vet scraped some skin off of him while he was there to get neutered, and they think hes alergic to meats, because he broke out when my mom fed him chicken, turkey and steak :mad: I dont feed him that kind of stuff anyway.

But those are in his food, so the vet told us to go on Pedigree Lamb and Rice(since he was already on pedigree) but I wanted to switch him to Innova(sp?) or Wellness, or something like that.

On the way back from the vet, picking Jasper up, we went into the grocery store(not a huge selection of food) to get Lamb and Rice food, and I didnt see any pedigree Lamb and Rice, all I seen in Lamb and Rice was Purina...I think.

I got it, as a "for now" thing, which is bad because to get to a pet store or wal-mart anywhere, its 35-45 minutes, and we dont go out there much, and my mom isn't going to want to go out there everytime he needs new food, but I dont want him on purina, plus he wont eat it.

And I also dont want to feed him purina until I can get out to get some pedigree or if I find the other stuff I was going to put him on, because thats bad for his system.

Argh, Im so worried about being a bad fur-mom :( Any suggestions?

wolfie
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Well, if your vet said that it'd be okay to feed him lamb and rice dog food, then any kind of lamb and rice brand would be okay for him I think. :)

There were a couple threads a week or so ago about different dog foods. I learned that the kind with meat as the first ingredient are the best - and at my supermarket that's only Iams or Purina One. So if your mom won't go to a petstore to get Jasper's food, then those would be my reccomendations. :)

But I think that some lamb and rice brands might have other kinds of meat in there too - so if he's really sensitive you may have no chioice but to get a special brand from the pet store.

binka_nugget
02-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Wellness has a fish and sweet potatoe formula. The ingredients look great too! Here are the ingredients for this formula:

"White Fish, Ground Barley, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with Rosemary, Vitamin C & E), Flax Seed, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid."

They also have a lamb formula as well..

"Lamb, Lamb Meal, White Fish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Ground Millet, Amaranth, Flax Seed, Canola Oil (preserved with Rosemary, Vitamin C & E), Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Chicory Extract, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid."

I'd have to disagree that any lamb and rice would be good because aside from the lamb and rice, different brands would have different ingredients...some much worse than others.

You could try having him try out a bag of food and if he likes it, maybe you can convince your parents to stock up on it so you wouldn't have to drive out there as often. Some companies also ship straight to your door as well.

Desert Arabian
02-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I highly suggest that you try Natural Balance: Duck and Potato Formula. Natural Balance is an awesome dog food, it's what I feed to my rats in their diet mix, and I will be feeding my dog when I get one...Natural Balance Zoological mix is used by zoos all over the place, including Sea World, it's a very good company.

Natural Balance: Duck and Potato Formula (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/PandD.html)

micki76
02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Wellness has a fish and sweet potatoe formula. The ingredients look great too! Here are the ingredients for this formula:

"White Fish, Ground Barley, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with Rosemary, Vitamin C & E), Flax Seed, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid."

This is what we feed all three. Chester has horrible food allergies. Fish and venison are the only two protein sources that he's not allergic to. We were feeding him Nature's Recipe Venison & Rice, but found out that they suddenly added chicken fat to it. :(

My kids LOVE the Wellness Fish & Potato! :D

DogLover9501
02-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Okay thanks everyone!!

I am probably going to try the Welness Fish and Sweet Potatoe, as hes been eating the lamb and rice and we haven't seen a difference in his scratching, still making himself sore.

I really hope something works, I dont want him to go on alergy pills forever :(