PDA

View Full Version : Cat chews phone cords

Felicia's Mom
02-18-2004, 07:51 PM
No, not one of mine. He belongs to a friend from work. This cat has chewed through three telephone cords.

I have never had this problem, so I wasn't much help when asked about it today.

I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas.

catnapper
02-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Does the cat chew through the one connecting the phone to the wall, or the cord connecting the handset to the phone? If its the curly cord from the hanset, your friend should break down and buy a new cordless phone. They're not too expensive anymore. Otherwise, your friend should have someone move the phone jack up higher on the wall and mount the phone to the wall - no exposed cord.

Hope that helps:)

Felicia's Mom
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks Catnapper, I will tell Barb that tomorrow.

Delf
02-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Put a lemon juice to cord. Cat should not like that one.

Maresche
02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I've rubbed a mix of apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper onto cords to keep kitties from chewing. The smell alone is usually enough, but one taste definitely is.

Tonya
02-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Phones are low voltage, but when they ring, they go up to 96 volts. I don't know if that is enough to injure a cat...but I do know that when I am working on a phone line and it rings, my muscles are sore for a few days and it is painful.

I'd try just hiding the temptation. A cordless phone attached to the wall would do it. Otherwise, the apple cider vinegar.

catmandu
02-19-2004, 09:12 AM
The Cats are getting curious , not about the phone Cord , but about the tubing that is runnuing from my Draining Machine to my Foot to get the last of the infections. John , and Elizabeth are trying to chew on it, I dont want them to ingest any infectious liqiud.So I shoo them off , but Cats are CURIOUS!!!!

RICHARD
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
cellular????:confused:

Kirsten
02-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I would recommend to spray the cords with Bitter Apple spray. Luna did these things when she was younger, and a friend sent me that spray which is only available in the United States as far as I know. It's a non-toxic spray with a very bitter taste, and cats and dogs hate the taste. Worked great with Luna!

Kirsten

catnapper
02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
I would recommend to spray the cords with Bitter Apple spray. Luna did these things when she was younger, and a friend sent me that spray which is only available in the United States as far as I know. It's a non-toxic spray with a very bitter taste, and cats and dogs hate the taste. Worked great with Luna!

Kirsten
I sprayed that stuff when Nicki was a pup (sorry, I know she's a dog in a cat forum;) ) and my nutty mutt actually LIKED the stuff!:eek: :rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
02-19-2004, 07:59 PM
I can't help but laugh at this thread! It brings back soooo many memorys of our cat "Cecil" who marched off the street back in 1979, and took over the apartment. He was a character from day one, a 5 month old orange and white kitten that would keep us up at night chasing the lights cars made going down the street. Wallpapering...he was so good at helping us strp it off the walls, and then when the new went up, tried to take that down too. Phone cords were Cecil's passion! Every week (or so it seemed) Cecil would chew through another phone cord, and in the good old days we could bring them back, and get a new one! My (now hubby) would walk into the phone co. with another tattered remains of the cord, and the employees would ask "the cat again"? And hand him a new one. Cecil lived to the ripe age of 18 and I miss his antics and purrsonality to this day. :(

K9soul
02-19-2004, 08:04 PM
I babysitted an orange tabby for a month a few years back one time and one day caught him chewing on the telephone cords as well. I used some bitter apple spray and that seemed to do the trick :).