PDA

View Full Version : Nutro animal testing --- the reply I got

wolfsoul
02-18-2004, 07:25 PM
There was some speculation a while back about Nutro doing animal testing. I emailed Nutro, and this is the reply I got:

Dear Jordan,

Thank you for your concern regarding the welfare of not only your pet, but also your concern for all animals.

I trust you will be comforted in knowing that in our commitment to the welfare of our pet community we promote the advocacy against the inhumane treatment of any and all animals and would prefer to entertain any question to this regard in person.

I welcome your call to our Consumer Services Department at (800) 833-5330, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., PST.
Sincerely,

Ariadna Banuelos
Customer Service Department
Nutro Products, Inc.
Toll Free: 800.833.5330
Phone: 626.968.0532 ext. 805
Fax: 626.581.7463

It's comforting to know that they promote the advocacy against animal abuse, but I guess I can never truly know if they're telling the truth about whether or not they do testing.

guster girl
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Wow, I'd not heard that they did animal testing. That would be horrible. Where did you hear that? I used to only feed Nutro, but, several vets I've spoken to, including the one I've been going to for years, told me it's way too rich, and, it's one of the foods that they are completely against. I was really surprised to hear that. But, I feed homemade stuff now, anyway. But, their response was pretty vague and definitely side stepping. Hmmm... Are you going to try the number they gave you?

wolfsoul
02-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Too rich? I find it too bland lol.

There were a couple threads here about Nutro testing. I'm too lazy to dig them up hehe. After reading about it, I looked up several sites that said that Nutro does do testing. :confused:

What I DO notice about the reply I got was that they didn't say they don't do testing. It was like they purposely twisted their words around...IT makes me wonder...urgh.

catnapper
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I hate to say this, but no matter the outcome of the debate, I have to stick with Nutro. I've tried EVERYTHING on the market and its the only one Nicki is not allergic to! And its only the lamb and rice; I can't switch flavor or formulas. It took me two years of brand testing and its the only one she's responed to. I can't stand to think of animals suffering, but when it comes to my Nicki vs. an animal I do not know personally, my Nicki wins out.

Shelteez2
02-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Sorry but no company is just going to come right out and say "Why yes we do test on animals. Now please go out and tell everyone you know" You will not get a straight answer.

I used to feed Nutro, but Clipse would get empty stomach syndrome on it and vommit bile. So I switched foods.

K9soul
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Their answer SOUNDS nice but also looks kind of evasive too. What would constitute animal testing exactly though? I mean, if they had dogs that they "tested" their foods on to see how healthy they were and if they thrived well on certain types of food, that would be different from some of the horror stories of "animal testing" that I've seen.

I am not asking to see horrible details of cruelty involved with animal testing but am merely questioning, is it considered "animal testing" if they test which food seems to promote less allergies or better coat quality etc. by feeding different groups of dogs different dog food varieties?

guster girl
02-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I hate to say this, but no matter the outcome of the debate, I have to stick with Nutro. I've tried EVERYTHING on the market and its the only one Nicki is not allergic to! And its only the lamb and rice; I can't switch flavor or formulas. It took me two years of brand testing and its the only one she's responed to. I can't stand to think of animals suffering, but when it comes to my Nicki vs. an animal I do not know personally, my Nicki wins out.

Have you ever tried feeding her unprocessed food before? Like a homemade diet? Just wondering. And, I agree though, if that was the only thing my pet wasn't allergic to, I'd be buying it too. I've never had a pet with food allergies, and, now, I feed both my kitten and puppy homemade food. What kind of dog is Nicki?