PDA

View Full Version : Panniculitis

robinh
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Has anyone every heard of this one? Don't know if this is what he has, but I'm trying to find out more info before I go to the vet on Saturday with Max. He's breaking out again.

Logan
02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Robin, I did what you have probably already done, which was to do a search by name. You do have to say "Panniculitis in dogs" to get good results, but there is TONS of information on the internet. I had never even heard of this before! :o

Good luck in your research and at the vet's on Saturday. I hope you can get some answers for Max and yourself! Sorry to not be more help.

Logan

Sudilar
02-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Good luck on Saturday. Be sure to let us know what you find out.

robinh
02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Vet doesn't think it's panniculitis, but he wants us to take Max back to the ISU Veterinary Clinic in Ames. He's going to make an appointment to see Dr. Noxom (dermatology) as soon as we can get in. Our vet says it doesn't look like any of the other cases he's seen.

We did have blood tests run on Max to see if his thyroid is getting worse. And to check for Cushing's disease. So at this point we don't know a lot more than we did before.

Max was so good today. He let them take blood without flinching. He let the vet pick him up not once, but twice. Keep in mind Max doesn't like anybody but family. The only thing was he just about went to sleep on the way home - he was so tired.

Sudilar
02-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Good boy, Max!!!
What type of symptoms does Max have?
Can it be immune related? There are many immune system problems that affect the skin and cause eruptions.

robinh
02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
The main problems he has are dry skin and eruptions. The eruptions come up, when they pop they ooze a clear liquid and then crust over. When the crusts come off, he has these bare spots.

I've thought of immune systems problems, but haven't been able to pin down what it is. Changing his food has really helped his other problems, but this one is so baffling.

Hoping the vet in Ames can help some.

Sudilar
02-22-2004, 08:55 PM
At this site there are some pictures of types of canine pemphigus. Killian has Pemphigus vulgaris. The picture of the ear crusts are one of the symptoms (of many) that appeared at the time of his major eruption.
Canine Pemphigus (http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Field/5413/pemphigus.htm)

Logan
02-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Robin, I'm sorry you didn't get more answers, but I'm glad he's referring you on to a more specialized practice. Keep us posted and give Max a big hug from me for being such a good patient!!! :)

robinh
02-24-2004, 07:50 AM
We have an appointment at the veterinary college next week. Can't wait to see what they say. We won't see Dr. Noxon (he's out till the end of March) but we will see one of his colleagues so I'm happy.

Will let you know how it goes.