PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear about quirks!

catnapper
02-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I was thinking about dog's and their habits. What quirks or habits do your dogs have that you think is cute, but others might not appreciate?

Nicki loves to howl along with passing ambulances (which happens quite a lot since we live right down the street from a hospital) No matter what time, she Hooooooooooowwwlllls! It started as a puppy when my brother taught her, and really became habit when we moved next to the hospital. I roll my eyes and laugh. Half the time, we say, "Nicki, what's that? Do I hear an ambulance?" and she'll start howling! We sleep with the door open to the second floor balcony in warm weather and she'll lay out there on those nights... and yep, at 2:00 in the morning, we hear Hoooowwwwwllll!

One afternoon, my neighbor stopped me and asked if it was Nicki that howls at night. I was thinking, "oh boy here it comes!" But the neighbor laughed and told me that she and her husband think its the cutest thing!:D Thank goodness our other neighbors are businesses that are closed for the night.

cali
02-17-2004, 11:11 PM
I dont know about quirks that other people might not like but m dogs have plenty of quirks! lol

shadow: when she is outside and she wants in she will wait for an invitation, howver if she does not want in and you know it, she gets all upset if you dont invite her in when you know perfectly well she wont come in anyway!

Blair: uhh well see he has this thing where I think he is just a tad conceited! every single day since he discovered he could see himself in the fireplace, he will go to the fireplace, place his front paws on the hearth and start at himself for a good 5 minuts, every day never fails!

misty: she jumps, she insists on jumping 6 feet in the air to greet people, now I know nobody likes this so everytime she is about to I stick my knee up so if she jumps she will pretty much get winded on my knee it just hits her in the tummy, or when I have time I just spin around, she no longer tackles me, but other people get slobbered if cought off gaurd!

happy: hmmmm she has this thing where she will bring you anything and everything to play fetch, she will bring anything from a 2mm bead to an 8 foot tree limb!

perky: she is a priss. lol she wants all for herself so she will run around barking getting the dogs all riled up, she will then run to the door act like she wants out so we open the door, she steps back and the dogs all riled up running and barking like idiots go flying out the door, meanwhile perky prances off happliy toy in mouth!

Ripley: he licks, and I dont mean a little kiss now and then I mean he trapes your arms on either side of you, pins you down and drowns your face licking you nose and mouth at the same time, and all you can do is turn your head to stop him!

anna_66
02-18-2004, 04:54 AM
Well, Angus just has to rub his head all over any coat jacket or anything else that is hung on the kitchen chairs. He just loves it. Mark wakes up to a hairy coat every morning. So why not move them? Because my boy loves doing it so much:p

Roxey has one particular quirk I personally don't care for. She will only eat food out of a food ball. This is fine, but she will leave it laying around and if either of the dogs get near it, she will jump up, run over to it and growl at them:rolleyes: If she wants it that bad, why doesn't she keep it with her!

And Huney, she'll go outside knowing full well that she doesn't want to be out, then she'll scratch the back door repeatedly until I let her in!

Pam
02-18-2004, 06:13 AM
Ripley "barks goodbye" at my son. I have no idea why he does this and it is only when my son leaves the house, no one else. We just smile and do this - :rolleyes: :D

Bella still has those times when she piddles from excitement - at the groomer's, at the vet's and Monday night at the start of obedience school. :o

Christiansmommy
02-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Quirks??? HUH! Dale is full of them :)

He barks and runs from empty milk jugs...like they have 3 heads or something!

He does not care for my son's toys that make noise.

When you call him to come in from outside; he will stare at you until you walk away from the door, then he will come running in! (We are going to obedience school now, so we will work on this one).

He barks at the mail lady (i am sure this is a quirk she doesnt like ;))

I am sure i could think of more...he makes me laugh! For sure!

This breed becomes very aware when something is out of place...not just Dale, but a Swissie, in particular. If you place a trash can or any other obect in the middle of the yard, and it wasn't there yesterday, or ever before, they will stand there and bark at...as if saying, "Where the heck did you come from? And why are you here?" It is funny to watch! :) He did this once when i had left a dust pan and broom in the middle of the hallway...he just stopped in his tracks and barked and barked like it was an intruder!

catnapper
02-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Nicki also has this "thing" about getting her nose wet. If she goes out and its raining, even a slight drizzle, she will come in and rub her nose between the sofa cushions to dry it off! Since we have a white couch, I typically like to use my shirt or a dish towel on her nose before she runs into the livingroom!

Lilith Cherry
02-18-2004, 08:01 AM
My big baby Sam "sings along" with the church bells; as we live right across the road from the church we get seranaded often!

Lilith

BitsyNaceyDog
02-18-2004, 08:20 AM
My min pin, Charlie, sucks on his blankie. It is sooo cute.