PDA

View Full Version : bark control product

guster girl
02-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have any opinions about the use of a product like this? It claims to be safe, but, just an unpleasant sound. I don't know if I'll ever need to use it, but, I was just surfing online and wondered about it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10817&Ne=40000&R=723&N=2001+113539

Kfamr
02-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Personally, I think any "bark control" things are idiotic.
A dog's bark is like a child's laughter, or cry, to me.

ChiRen
02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
I really don't like it...or the idea of it.
My grandma uses one for her dog. If there is no reason other than the owner of the dog not wanting to hear it, I think it is completely unnecessary.
My grandma has one for her dog that she uses when she has company over because he has a tendency to get extremely noisy when new people come in. She lives in an apartment, and if her dog causes too much noise, people get calls. :rolleyes: I especially dislike it because her dog definitely acts differently when he gets the collar put on. He immediately gets quiet and shy, which is really weird for him because he's normally an in-your-face outgoing dog.
Silencing your dog just seems absurd to me. It's like silencing a child.
So I really don't like it.
But hey, it's up to the owner.

lizbud
02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ChiRen
[B

But hey, it's up to the owner. [/B]

Yes, unfortunately that's true. :( I just wish the "owners"
had to wear one just once & see how they liked it. :(

ChiRen
02-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I couldn't agree more lizbud. :(

guster girl
02-17-2004, 08:33 PM
it's why I asked. :) I had never heard one way or the other if they were good or not. I'm just more concerned about my neighbors complaining and not being able to keep the puppy if they push the issue. It hasn't become a problem yet, but, i thought I'd ask about it anyway.

what about something like this? For calming effects....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8907&Ne=40000&R=6276&Nao=9&N=2001+113510

wolfsoul
02-17-2004, 09:46 PM
I agree with this product -- not because it stops barking, but because it's a humane way to do it. There are so many products out there that are so much more cruel than this. One of the most common things I see nowadays are dogs with their vocal cords removed. I bet if their owners heard of this product they would have thought twice. I think it's great that they're finding more humane ways to do things, whether or not the potential result seems "stupid."

Edit: The plug-in looks cool. I might get myself one of those one day. :) A piece of clothing of your's to smell might calm the pup down too. :)

catnapper
02-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Nicki likes to bark - a lot. But we've nver ever thought of silencing her. My neighbors all have dogs and all their dogs bark too... so if anybody wanted to get feisty, theywouldn't have much room to complain!:D Thank goodness I live on a doggy filled street!

If we lived somewhere that didn't like the barking... hmmm... I think we'd spend more time with her trying to cut back on her barking.

Twisterdog
02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
In my experience, ultrasonic and/or audible devices such as this one do not work. The first few times the dog hears it, he may be startled enough to stop barking and listen. But, as soon as they get used to it, they ignore it.

binka_nugget
02-17-2004, 11:45 PM
I agree with Jordan, that this sure beats some of the alternatives but I guess that would only apply if the product worked.

Kaedyn is such a talker. Not that I mind but I'm starting to think that the neighbors do. I like to stay outside with the boys and take photos, train, let them play... but the moment one of our neighbors goes outside to their yard, Kaedyn goes bizerk. When Kaedyn barks, Kai barks (which isn't normal for him. He's usually really relaxed with barking at other people). I've thought about getting the bark collar (only for him to wear when we're outside) that sprays when the dog barks but the price is absurd and I'd rather spend some good 'ol quality time training him before spending my money on a spray collar.

CathyBogart
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Personally, I think any "bark control" things are idiotic.
A dog's bark is like a child's laughter, or cry, to me.

I MUCH prefer the sound of a dog's bark. Less shrill, less piercing, and less frequent!

I got a good review on the citronella collars from a customer on Saturday. She said they work well, and her dog smells better now. *chuckles*