PDA

View Full Version : Question about DSL and multiple computers

micki76
02-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I have a desktop and a laptop and I've just recently ordered DSL. I forgot to ask the Verizon person how it works with 2 computers that aren't networked together.

Do I need to do anything special? Do I need two DSL modems or is that what the filters are for?

:confused:

Bryan!! Help!!

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 01:20 PM
We have 4 computers and all have DSL connection. We have one DSL modem, and have a wireless network so every computer can use the DSL indivdually. You will need to make a network if you want to have all of the computers connected. Wireless is great..........sometimes I take the laptop out in the backyard and browse PT from there. No wires, out in the fresh breeze, on on fast DSL at the same time. :)

micki76
02-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Uh, and I do that, how?

Logan
02-17-2004, 01:25 PM
We have a cable modem and a "hub", much less technology "savvy" as a wireless network, but we do operate 3 computers off of the same modem. I suggest you talk to your provider about the the specifics. :)

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
You need to get an access point and put it in the center of the house. Then you need to get a wireless card or adapter for all of your computers. They get the signal from the access point. I believe you also need a hub, which connects to the DSL modem, which connects to the access point, but my brother does all the networking so I don't know EXACTLY how to set it up from scratch.

micki76
02-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Ok, this is going to turn into a lot more than I expected. :confused:

Gonna have to call the computer guy and I hate that. :mad:

CatDad
02-17-2004, 01:55 PM
This sounds difficult at first, but it really isn't.

Talk to your computer guy and if you need help with what he told you please send me a PM. I will see if I can help you with it.:)

micki76
02-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks Byan! :) I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Micki, wireless is actually quite simple and you should try it yourself before calling the computer guy.

What operating system are you running? If it's Windows 2000 or XP, the whole thing should be a piece of cake - plug and play. The hardest part will be putting the wireless card in the desktop - and that's actually a piece of cake too.

If you're thinking of going wireless, let me know and I'll give you more tips on what you need. However, you don't need to go wireless. I love it, and would recommend it, but it can be done with wires too.

Ok, with wires we'll deal with the desktop first. I'm assuming the DSL will come in through a line that is near your computer. You'll need a DSL modem which will plug into the phone line. Then you'll need a hub. A hub is just a small box that connects everything and routes everything where it should go. The DSL modem will plug into the wall and then into the hub. The line that goes from the modem to the hub, and then from the hub to each computer has to be a CAT 5 cable (I believe CAT 6 will work also). You can get these at any computer store or office store. Run the CAT 5 cable from the hub to the network card in your computer (hopefully you already have one of those). Read the directions on how to install the hub before you turn everything on though, because some of them want you to run the CD to install the software before you install the hardware. Once you run the software for the hub, you should be ready to go! You will have to set up a little network to connect to the hub, but the hub software should walk you through that.

Then, to do the laptop, I would really recommend wireless. Running CAT 5 cables to other rooms and such can get kind of expensive, both in cable costs and installation costs. So to get the laptop wireless, you set everything up just like above, except you use a wireless hub. Then you get a wireless card for your computer which will plug into the PMCIA slot. If you're running XP, once you plug the card in the computer, just wait a moment or two and the card will automatically detect the wireless network you set up by runnng the hub software on the desktop. Once it detects it, you should be good to go! The only thing is you might have to tell it to ignore the WEP. I don't remember the exact steps to do that right off the top of my head, but it's not hard and if and when you get to that point, let me know.

It's really not a hard thing, and if you're even remotely computer savvy you should be able to do it. I might be leery of mentioning the two computers to the DSL guy because they might charge you more to have two computers hooked up when they really shouldn't. You could ask him about it and if he gives you any grief just tell him never mind, you won't hook them both in and leave it at that.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions. :)

micki76
02-17-2004, 02:18 PM
:eek: That sounds complicated to me! :p

I forgot to mention that when I bought the laptop, it came with wireless capabilities. Does that make a difference? I can’t remember what it was called, but I paid extra for it.

See, I’m not really computer savvy. :(

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 02:24 PM
If your laptop already has a bulit-in wireless card, then you shouldn't need to buy a card for it. It depends what you mean by it having wireless built in though. That might mean it comes with a slot for a wireless card, or it could mean it has an internal wireless system, in which case it should be all set when you get an access point and router. I recommend wireless for the desktops too, because we used to have wires, and the house looked bad with blue wires going everywhere. :p

Its not as complicated as it sounds. Its pretty easy. You'll figure it out. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Micki, that makes it even easier! Do all the steps I mentioned for hooking the DSL to your desktop and make sure to get a wireless hub. Once you get your desktop up and running and working fine (following the instructions to install the hub), all you should have to do is turn your laptop on. It should automatically detect the network for you.

Really, it's easy. Trust me. ;) :D

micki76
02-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok, good. Should I assume that the people at Best Buy or Circuit City will know what I mean and what I need?

Should I take the laptop with me?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes, the people at Best Buy should know and they will probably have better pricing than Circuit City (in my experience anyway). Taking your laptop can't hurt. Let us know what they tell you and what you end up with.

micki76
02-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone's help! :D

*chants*
I can do it
I can do it
I can do it!

amoore
02-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Good luck micki! I am so happy for you! :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
I am planning on setting my DSL up for multiple users before the summer so I can work outside (or at least on the porch!)

Debbie, I am counting on you to be my technical advisor!

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by micki76

*chants*
I can do it
I can do it
I can do it!

Yes you can! :D

My brother had to do it for so many of our friends because they couldn't figure it out and called him for help. He just goes to their house, sets it up, and in the end, they are stunned at how simple it is and wonder why they couldn't figure it out. :p Once you get it, its as easy as apple pie. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Debbie, I am counting on you to be my technical advisor!

No problem! Actually it'd be my pleasure to help because I need to "get out in the field" and learn this stuff for the future DJH Consulting. ;) :D Actually it's going to be called rvgeeks.com but that's a whole other story. :D

Sara, the only problem with you is you have an Apple, right? I'm not sure if you can get an Apple and a Mac through the same hub, but I'll check it out. My brother has an Apple...oh, never mind, you can do it because I just remembered that when I go home I get on the internet through my brother's Apple network. Let me know when you want to go ahead! :D

And it really is wonderful to be able to take the computer out in the backyard with you. :D

And Micki, you can do it, it's not hard at all! :D

micki76
02-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Ok. I have all the stuff and have installed the network card in the desktop.

Now, do I need to install the DSL modem & other stuff before I install the wireless router, thingy?

The instructions for the router thingy asks for what kind of internet confirguration type I have and I have no idea. It says that the ISP installer (didn't have one, my Verizon DSL is self install) should have left that info for me at installation.

There's really no info for the DSL, such as a booklet like I got with the wireless router thingy, just an installation CD that has instructions.
:confused:

Karen
02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
What kidn of computer/operating system are you using?

micki76
02-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Karen
What kidn of computer/operating system are you using?

98 on the desktop and XP on the laptop. Do they have to be the same?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 09:10 PM
No, they don't need to be the same. Terry had 98 on his desktop and I have XP on my laptop. To make sure the DSL is working, you might want to just plug all of that in first and make sure you can get online. If it asks you, you want to "automatically detect settings." You will also have to go into you internet properties - right click on the big E on your desktop and click properties. Go to the "connections" tab and check the circle that says "never dial a connection."

Then I don't know what sort of software the DSL people left, but you should be able to just double click on the big E and it should connect you.

I'll be on for a little bit yet, so let me know what step you're at and I'll try and walk you through it.

slleipnir
02-17-2004, 09:16 PM
GL with it hehe. We have 4 computers running DSL from one server computer. We took an older computer and dedicated it to be the server..just so it doesn't slow our computers down that we use. It is connected to a hub which links to all of ours.

Dont mind me, I'm just mindlessly wondering about the forums..

micki76
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
He he he! Thanks Debbie! I've got the DSL going and it's F A S T! :D Now for the wireless thingymajiggy. :D :D :D I was going to PM you, but I didn't see you online. You must be invisible like me! :)

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by micki76
He he he! Thanks Debbie! I've got the DSL going and it's F A S T! :D Now for the wireless thingymajiggy. :D :D :D I was going to PM you, but I didn't see you online. You must be invisible like me! :)

Isn't DSL the BEST? :p

Once you get used to it, there's no going back. On occasion, when I have to use dial up over at friends/relatives', I get so frustrated, I get off the computer. :o

Good luck on the networking! I know you can do it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Yep, once you go DSL you'll never go back! :D

So now you're ready for the wireless. Read the instructions for the router, does it say to install the software first or to plug it in first?

Do whatever the instructions say and make sure the connections are like I mentioned earlier - phone line to DSL modem, modem to router and router to computer (if you're wiring that part which I assume you are?).

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Or, you might just want to enjoy the DSL and surf really fast for awhile and tackle the wireless tomorrow. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Well, Micki, it's time for me to go to bed. I've got a big day tomorrow, so I hope I'm not abandoning you. If you're working on the wireless and can't get it going, just hook the DSL back in and enjoy that and I'll be back tomorrow to help with the wireless. :)

micki76
02-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh Debbie, as you sleep your new student is now browsing the net on her laptop using her NEW wireless network!

Whooooo Hooooooo! I don't know if it's right, but it's on! :p

Thank you so much for all your advice and help!!! I may have a question or two for you later on, about my settings if you don't mind. :o

Thank you!

CatDad
02-17-2004, 11:29 PM
You got it working.:D

I sent you a PM about the SSID on the router. Once you get used to it, there are a few other things you will want to consider.

However for now, go and have fun.:D

micki76
02-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
You got it working.:D

I sent you a PM about the SSID on the router. Once you get used to it, there are a few other things you will want to consider.

However for now, go and have fun.:D

Yep, I did it! Thank you! I did get your PM, and I did rename it. :)

What other things are there to consider? Hmm...

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Micki.........I sent you a PM. Another thing you need to take care of. Securing the network so others can't access it. ;)

CatDad
02-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Micki.........I sent you a PM. Another thing you need to take care of. Securing the network so others can't access it. ;)
That is it. You need to look at making sure that the wireless access is secure.

micki76
02-17-2004, 11:50 PM
That is it. You need to look at making sure that the wireless access is secure.

Any idea how to do that guys? :D I think maybe it was in the router settings, but I'm not sure. :confused:

popcornbird
02-18-2004, 12:06 AM
All I know is that you set the security settings from your computer. I'm not sure exactly *how* to do it. When I last asked my brother how he does it, he responded with a *I have my ways........... ;)*

He likes to tease me. :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Yipee!!! I knew you could do it! :D

The one thing I didn't do when we installed ours was secure it. That's where the WEP comes in and I didn't understand that part of it at all, so I just told it to connect without that. This means that anyone coming within range of my wireless network will be able to access it. I don't think they can actually access my computer because I don't have that shared, but they can access the wireless network. The one having it disabled is good for is that if I have someone come over with their own laptop, they don't have to know any sort of access code to get online - in otherwords, it makes it easier for others to gain access. A good thing for friends and a not so good thing for bad people.

Bryan, if you know how to set the WEP, please let me know also.

Go to this website (http://grc.com/default.htm) and scroll down until you see "Shields Up!" and click on that. This is a test to see how secure you are from others accessing your computer through the internet. Usually the router will have a firewall already installed in it, so you shouldn't need to activate a firewall on either your laptop or desktop.

You might want to read everything once you click on Shields Up! but some of it gets kind of technical. Don't worry if you don't understand it, just click on "Proceed" then click on the various headings - file sharing, ports, etc. Once it does the tests, it will explain the results and tell you if you have any vulnerabilities. You shouldn't have any because most router firewalls are pretty good these days.

I'm glad you took the chance and did it yourself and more importantly I'm glad you got it to work all by yourself! I knew you could. :D Let me know if you have any more questions, and hopefully Bryan will fill us in on the WEP thing. :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Debbie....I got rid of the Apple. It made me crazy.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Debbie....I got rid of the Apple. It made me crazy.

Oh goody, that makes it sooo much easier. ;) :D

The one bad thing about these classes I'm taking is the focus only on Microsoft based products. They make vague references now an then to other operating systems like Unix, Linus and Apple, but they really don't give you any information about them.

And actually, if you have all Windows now, you could do it yourself too - just like Micki! ;) :D

micki76
02-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
And actually, if you have all Windows now, you could do it yourself too - just like Micki! ;) :D

Yep. I was amazed at how easy it really was. And I'd like to think I'm not a moron, but I'm not a computer expert at all (except in my home, hubby's not even allowed on my laptop, he's NOT savvy at all ;) ).

You could do it yourself, I'm sure. Of course, I couldn't have done it without all the great help from Debbie & Bryan!

CatDad
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to say a little on WEP. Don't let the acronyms scare you. All WEP does is scamble the signal between the card and the router. So, like Debbie said, no one can pick it up from the street and read it.

The problem comes in when setting it up. All routers are not created with the same setup, and I can't really give you any help off the top of my head. I would need the make model of your router, and I could read up on it the help if you would like. I believe that it has to be setup on the router and enabled on the card. Beyond that I would need specifics on the hardware.

I can be even more vague about that if you would like.:p:D

Debbie I saw earlier in the thread where you talked about hooking up a mac(apple) and a PC to the same hub. I know that Sara said that she got rid of hers, but I though that I would answer your question. The computer type does not really matter when hooking them into a router or hub to connect to the net. What matters is the protocal that they are speaking. As long as it it IP then all is well. Getting the different computer types to share resources is another matter, but can be done. It just takes a little more setup.

Let me know if you would like help with the WEP setup.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Let me know if you would like help with the WEP setup.

I would like help.

Well.....you said we should let you know if we want help. ;) :D

We've got the Linksys Wireless G router and cards (not A & G). The thing that was really confusing is the security code - WEP - has to be some 16 bit something or other. I tried just typing numbers in and it didn't work. For us it's really not a big deal to have it secure because not too many people are out on the street by us, but for those who live in apartments and such I can see where it would be more crucial. So, if this isn't too much of a problem, any help you can give would be appreciated, but don't put yourself out too much for it. I could always just call Linksys or check out their website...... :)

micki76
02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
I would like help.

Well.....you said we should let you know if we want help. ;) :D

We've got the Linksys Wireless G router and cards (not A & G). The thing that was really confusing is the security code - WEP - has to be some 16 bit something or other. I tried just typing numbers in and it didn't work. For us it's really not a big deal to have it secure because not too many people are out on the street by us, but for those who live in apartments and such I can see where it would be more crucial. So, if this isn't too much of a problem, any help you can give would be appreciated, but don't put yourself out too much for it. I could always just call Linksys or check out their website...... :)

I have the same equipment. :) I'm not too worrie either. I live in a vey small subdivision on the outskirts of a very small town, but it would still be a good thing to do.

popcornbird
02-18-2004, 01:23 PM
We were worried with our's because when we first got wireless, we discovered that several of our neighbors have wireless as well and we could access their accounts. :o Not that we did..........its just that our computer asked us which servers to connect to, and it gave a whole list that WASN'T our's. We figured our neighbors could do the same thing, so we secured our's immediately. :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Not that we did..........its just that our computer asked us which servers to connect to, and it gave a whole list that WASN'T our's. We figured our neighbors could do the same thing, so we secured our's immediately. :p

I wish some of our neighbors would have had it so we wouldn't have had to dish out all the money to get it. ;) :D

Just kidding of course. ;)

CatDad
02-18-2004, 01:51 PM
For PCB it does sound like it was essential to get your network locked down, that is actually pretty scary. I am constantly amamzed by the number of people who leave security settings at default.

Debbie and Micki we should lock down yours, but it is not as major an issue. I will need to look it up and make sure what I am telling you. I would do it today, but I have spent way too much time on PT today and really need to get something done at work.:)

Anyway, when I get home I will do a little research and we can take it from there. I can't tell you any real time because it alll depends on what time the unchain me from the desk.:eek::) So you may or may not hear from me tonight.

Debbie, don't worry about asking me, I enjoy it looking at this stuff. Yes you could just call, but were would be the fun in that.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much Bryan. :D No hurry since we've been unsecure for at least 6 months already. :rolleyes: :o :)

popcornbird
02-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I wish some of our neighbors would have had it so we wouldn't have had to dish out all the money to get it. ;) :D

Just kidding of course. ;)

LOL!!!

Bryan, we were amazed at how many people in our neighborhood had their networks insecure. Not a wise idea when much of the neighborhood is wireless. ANYONE can access your account. I know we had at least 10 networks on the list that our computer was asking to connect to, that did not belong to us. Obviously belonged to neighbors who weren't smart enough to secure their networks. :p We secured our's before we even started using the network.

CatDad
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
OK, I have an answer for you. If the manuals are to be believed it looks pretty, easy.

Now, there are two ways to do this on the router side. One is if you have both a linksys router and network cards and one if you only have the linksys router.

Debbie I am not sure what you have, but micki unless you have a linksys adapter in the laptop I think you are going to have to do this the longer of the 2 ways.

OK. we will start with the router. I am giong to be shamless and copy some of the instruction directly from the manuals.:)

1. On the Setup tab of the Router’s web-based utility, click the Enable radio button next to WEP. Then click the Edit WEP Settings button.

2. This should bring you to a screen that will allow you to configure the encryption.

3. First pick your encryption level. 64 or 128 bit. obviouly the high number is a stronger encryption. However, if you have to manually enter keys(explain this in a minute) the 64bit only requires 10 digits and the 128bit requires 26. So it is up to you.

4. Here is where the you get to take the easy or slightly less easy. This next entry is pass phrase. You can use this if you have a linksys card. Just enter a pass phrase and you are done with the router and can move to the card. Note - Case counts, so I would suggest all upper or lower case for the passphrase.
If on the other hand you do not have a linksys card you get to type in 4 keys in the next 4 slots.

Keys are hexadecimal characters, that is a base 16 number system (I will stop that explination here, if you want to know more I can go into great detail). What you need to know is that valid hexadecimal numbers are 0 - 9 and then A - F. So a valid 64bit key could be:
2A4D3B9DEC
If you chose 128bit you will need 26 characters like that.

Got all of that, good. You are now done with the router.
Warning - I could not find this in the manual. So I do not know that if you can still connect none secure once you have enabled WEP. It would only make sense that you should be able to, but be forewarned this may be a possible hazard.

OK, Now that you have all of that onto the card.

Now you first need to get the settings page up for the card.

Ok, I just found one gotcha. If you used something called Wireless Zero Configuration the documentation has a note for you

Note: Wireless Zero Configuration does not support the use of a
passphrase. Enter the exact WEP key used by your access point.

If you are running XP the easiest way to get to the card configuration is to:
1. Right click on the 'My Network Places' icon.
2. Click on properties.
3. Right hand click on the wireless connection.
4. Then click on configure for your card.

You may also have software from linksys that will allow you to access the card configuration in some other way. The manual say to double click the network icon in the systray next to the time. I think that there way is easier.:)

One the configuration screen that comes up you should have two fields that allow you to enter either a pass pharse or the digital key.

That should be it.

Now, this is all according to the linksys manual so I hope that it is all correct.

Please let me know if you have any questions on what I wrote. Sometimes I can skip explaning concepts that I already know that not everyone else does.:) I will be around for a little while longer tonight. I will probably not be back until tomorrow evening. Please feel free to post here or PM me.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks Bryan! My only question is on the hexadecimal stuff, which is where I got hung up before. Can we use any combination of numbers 0-9 and letters A-F, or do they have to be in some sort of sick order? ;) :D

I'm at work now and my wireless is at home, so I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to play around with it. :)

CatDad
02-19-2004, 02:59 PM
The number that you use does not have to be in any specific order, there are no rules on that. In fact you could use just all numbers like, 5864183964. That would be a valid string for the 64bit encryption. The only thing that you cannot do is use all zeros. That is not allowed, and really would not be very safe.

The only thing that the router cares about is that it has a key that it can build the encrytoion from.

If you would like I can go into a much deeper explination on this, but most peoples eyes would just glaze over. In fact I can already feel a few people going.:eek:;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
If you would like I can go into a much deeper explination on this, but most peoples eyes would just glaze over. In fact I can already feel a few people going.:eek:;)

Thanks Bryan, but mine already glassed over during the little bit of description you mentioned previously. Not a good thing since I'm assuming I'm going to have to learn this some day, along with all the binary stuff.

Thanks so much. I'm still not home yet so still haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. :)

CountryWolf07
02-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Micki - I have a laptop, and it has wireless internet - it is GREAT! :D We have a computer downstairs that has the router, and I can bring my laptop anywhere in the house! Hehe.