PDA

View Full Version : Which bone is best?

Rio and Me
02-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Once in a while I would like to buy Rio some kind of left over bone (with tiny amount of meat left on it) from the local butcher, but which is the safest bone for her like lamb, pig or cow etc?

This is just as a treat
Any ideas thanked
Ky and Rio

cali
02-17-2004, 07:56 AM
pretty much anything raw. including chicken and turkey backs and necks. cow femers are good, he only pork we feed is feet, and hocks. :)

Rio and Me
02-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Ok thansk i'll ask what he has next time i'm in there.
Somthing that she can chew on for a few days.
Thanks KY

CathyBogart
02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Thank you! Raw bones are soooo much better for our furkids! :) :)

tatsxxx11
02-17-2004, 10:57 AM
The large knuckle bones, raw, are great! Also, raw beef marrow bones. My girls spend hours trying to lick out the marrow and the bones themaselves are so thick and smooth, even my aggressive chewer Star can't splinter them. But no more than 1 every 2-3 weeks!:)

wolfie
02-17-2004, 01:41 PM
The big cow ones are good. But don't buy the basted ones from the store - they made Daphne sick - must have been the preservatives or flavoring. We just give her plain ones now from the market.

Rio and Me
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks I think first I will get the knuckle bones, and then the marrow bones, from the local butcher.
I dont want anything from the petshop as i wanted her to have something a little tastier.
Thanks Ky and Rio

tutebugs
02-17-2004, 02:44 PM
My boyfriend's old dog died from eating a chicken and choking on the bone. I choose not to feed my dog anything but his dog food and raw hides made for him.

Rio and Me
02-17-2004, 03:19 PM
I wont feed my dog any form of chicken cooked or raw!!!
She has had bones from the petshop but i would like her to have something a little more naterual for a treat.
Supervised at all time of corse.
Personally its a bit boring for your dog to just have the same kibble and raw hide everytime.
Ky and Rio

tutebugs
02-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Our dog eats kibble mixed with gourmet soft food and has a raw hide at all times. He gets a choice of pigs in a blanket, sausage or jerky treats. I just picked him up a couple small jumbones and some pedigree dentabones. To me that seems like quite a variety minus the risk of choking. But, I've heard people say that pigs feed for ham hocks you can buy frozen in bags at the grocery store are ok, as long as they are supervised. I think that'd be a little much for my small chihuahua.

tikeyas_mom
02-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I buy Denta bone :p...

tutebugs
02-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I buy Denta bone :p...

I just got him some, haven't given him one yet. I have him a jumbone, which i had to cut the small one in half cuz he's so small. LOL!! What do you think of the dentabone??? Is it easy for them to chew and does it really work?

tikeyas_mom
02-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by tutebugs
I just got him some, haven't given him one yet. I have him a jumbone, which i had to cut the small one in half cuz he's so small. LOL!! What do you think of the dentabone??? Is it easy for them to chew and does it really work?

I think it works. :). I have a shih tzu and he just loves them ;). You can get different sizes :p... I have tried Dentabone, megabone, and denta sticks... I like them all. Just read the ingredients and make sure they don’t contain BHA as a preservative, it causes cancer.. .

tutebugs
02-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I think it works. :). I have a shih tzu and he just loves them ;). You can get different sizes :p... I have tried Dentabone, megabone, and denta sticks... I like them all. Just read the ingredients and make sure they don’t contain BHA as a preservative, it causes cancer.. .

Oh, yikes...the ones I got are pedigree dentabone...I just looked and they've got BHA/BHT as a preservative. What brands don't??

tikeyas_mom
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
my rats love dentabone too.. ;) hint hint... :p...

about BHA, just only feed once in a blue moon. ok.. Doint feed often.. I give my doggies the same kind as you Pedigree dentabones... I personally dont like pedagree... Blah.. but whatever The dentabone makes their breath smalls good. only feed once in a while though. My dogs only get a denta bone once a month each.. the rats all share one once every 2 months.. :o....

Rio and Me
02-17-2004, 04:05 PM
oh ok i didnt know you meant you feed only soft things.
I give Rio jumbones etc somtimes, but they are quite expensive and dont last long.
Ky and Rio

binka_nugget
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
For recreational bones, my boys just LOVE raw beef bones. They go crazy for them and spend a good hour (minimum) just knawing happily. That reminds me, I should give them some soon. Their teeth are building up some tartar.

Shelteez2
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I also like to give my dogs raw bones for recreational chewing.

I usually give them beef marrow bones or knuckle bones. They last for a couple days, then I throw them away. With the marrow bones you might want to scoop out the marrow in the middle as it can sometimes be too rich for a dog's stomach to handle at first.

Here are some pics of my dogs enjoying their bones.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Feb/20042175407973489439804.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Feb/20042171954919644975940.jpg

Here Clipse is chewing on a deer rib bone. The smaller ribs he just ate, but the larger ones were good for chewing.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Feb/20042177204605324156712.jpg

wolfsoul
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Raw bones are better than cooked ones because they don't usually splinter; although anything can happen --- My Leather has eaten two raw bones and she coughed up sharp shards of the bone and blood. :( Remember that a bone, or pretty much any chew toy for that matter, is only as safe as you are vigilant. Bones can be good for the teeth and gums, and most dogs love to chew them. :)

My rats LOVE chicken bones. And I don't even have to supervise them while they chew, so it's much easier lol.

Rio and Me
02-18-2004, 03:40 AM
Yes sheltezz thats the bone i meant with a little of meat on them, are they knuckle bones?
i must get some later today, what rib is tht? cow etc?
and the marrow bones are the cow etc?
which is best for a first timer?
If she likes them i was thinking of switching her to BARF in the future
Ky and Rio

Dogz
02-18-2004, 04:52 AM
And I thought I was the only one!:eek: I also buy raw bones for a treat for the pups, they love them!

Can't wait to see the pictures of Rio with her bone! *hint, hint*;)

Rio and Me
02-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Late today i'm off to doggy Agility so on the way i'll pick some up i think ill get Knuckle bone, a few ribs and marrow bone, then i'll try and gett some pics,lol
Ky and Rio

BitsyNaceyDog
02-18-2004, 08:14 AM
My dogs like greenies. They are a bit expensive, so they don't get them too offen. I don't give them puparoni, snausages, or anything like that (even for a treat), they have a lot of salt in them. A hard biscuit is better.

Rio and Me
02-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Never herd of greenies :(, we dont have them over here.
Are they a biscuit?
Ky and Rio

wolfsoul
02-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rio and Me
Never herd of greenies :(, we dont have them over here.
Are they a biscuit?
Ky and Rio
They are these green chewy bones. The ingredients are good; they even contain chlorophyll. :) My rats get them sometimes.

Shelteez2
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
They are these green chewy bones. The ingredients are good; they even contain chlorophyll. :) My rats get them sometimes.

Aren't they made of starchy things and non ingredients like those other edible type bones?? I don't like to give that kind of stuff to my dogs. But I've never looked at the ingredients for a Greenie.

wolfsoul
02-19-2004, 05:18 PM
These are the ingredients. :)

Ingredients: Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, powdered cellulose fiber, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids, magnesium stearate and chlorophyll.

Shelteez2
02-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
These are the ingredients. :)

Ingredients: Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, powdered cellulose fiber, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids, magnesium stearate and chlorophyll.

Yeah that's what I thought. *yuck* LOL

wolfsoul
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
LOL I don't think it's that bad, besides the wheat...But wheat is good for rats anyways lol. :p