PDA

View Full Version : Smokey is at the Rainbow Bridge

wolf_Q
02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Smokey was PTS this morning. It was my mom's decision, he was her dog. She loved him, he was her baby. We all loved him.

I wasn't really expecting it...she called and told me while I was at work. I was ok until I came home and saw his bed missing, then I just lost it. :(

I'm glad he was able to have one last Christmas and one last Birthday with us. He's now happy and young again, like the Smokey he used to be.

I love you, Smokey :(

jenluckenbach
02-16-2004, 07:00 PM
RIP dear Smokey. :(

lizbud
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

I'm glad he was able to have one last Christmas and one last Birthday with us. He's now happy and young again, like the Smokey he used to be.

I love you, Smokey :(

Yes Smokey you are free of the pain & confusion and able
to run the fields over Rainbow Bridge with all our other RB
animals. You had a caring family & you were deeply loved.

R.I. P. Smokey. :(

zippy-kat
02-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh Amy. :(

My heart hurts for you but I also know this wasn't a decision taken lightly. Often you'd talked about your special lil' guy with such sweet words, I know you must be missing him horribly.

I'm here for you friend - if you need me I'm an IM, email, or phone call away.

{{hugs}}

captain
02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh Smokey,

RIP sweetheart.
Perhaps you could look up Binx ......... I am sure he would love to share his toys and his beautiful smile with you ....

GoldenRetrLuver
02-16-2004, 07:24 PM
OMG! :(
First Binx, and now Smokey?? :( Very sad, sad, day. :( I'm so sorry Amy. {{HUGS}}

Tweety_Pie
02-16-2004, 07:33 PM
:( I am so sorry.... Rest In Peace Smokey.:(

trayi52
02-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Smokey. I am sure you are upset, very upset. How is your mother doing? She has to also be upset.

I am sorry for yours and your mothers loss.

Smokey rest in peace and a speedy trip to rainbow bridge.

Willie

Nomilynn
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Amy!!!! :( :(

I'm so sorry about your loss. Please also let your mom know. RIP Smokey, I hope you have fun at the bridge :(

If you need anything, let me know, and I'll call/email you anytime.

Nomi

lovemyshiba
02-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh, Amy
I'm so, so sorry:( :( :( :(

I know Smokey had a wonderful life with you and your family, and he is pain free now, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I know how much you loved him too, and I am crying for you.

I am so sorry.
:( :( :( :(

Please let your mom know that she is in our prayers, as well as the rest of your family.

Cinder & Smoke
02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
:(

Dear Amy ~

I'm so sorry.

{{{Hugs}}} and Prayers of Comfort ~
for You, Your Mom, and the entire Family.

Safe Trip to The Bridge, Dear Smokey ~

Rest In Eternal Peace.

/s/ :( Phred

micki76
02-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh, Amy. :( I'm so very sorry. :( Smokey had a great, long life with your family and I know he's happy and healthy again now.

I'm so sorry. If there's anything I can do for you, dear friend, please let me know. Anything at all.

delidog
02-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Amy,
I am So Sorry about the loss of your Dear Smokey!!!
I honestly did not know he was ill.....
I know he was with you since you were very young...

Please let Smokey & Binx Hold Paws and Cross The Rainbow Bridge Together!!!
There are so Many Waiting to help them Cross Over!!!

My Thoughts & Prayers are with you Amy...
Godspeed Sweet Smokey!!!!!
You are in ALL of our Pet Talk Hearts!!!!!

dukedogsmom
02-16-2004, 08:27 PM
It's a doubly sad day here. We were so happy for his birthday. I'm sorry it happened this way. I'm sure it came as a shock. Hope he finds comfort with Binx.

Vermontcat
02-16-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of poor sweet Smokey. :(
He lived a long and happy life with you and your family.

Pam
02-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Amy I am so, so sorry to read this. :( Smokey had a long and happy life and for that I am grateful. I hate to hear of the passing of anyone's furkid but Smokey was especially special to me. I know if there is a Rainbow Bridge (and I do hope and believe there is) that Smokey has already met my 4 poodles there and they have already become friends. (((Hugs to you and your mom))). This is indeed the downside of loving a pet. :( Goodbye Smokey - you were loved.

cloverfdx
02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Amy i am so sorry :(

Smokey had a long and happy life you and your family.

Play hard at the bridge Smokey.

:(

Karen
02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Rest in peace, Smokey pup. Now your eyes are clear and sharp again, and you can run like the wind once more. You've left a poodle-shaped hole in your Momma's and Grandmomma's hearts, and they and we will miss you forever. Go see my Mom at the Rainbow Bridge - she'll be the short lady with fuzzy brown hai and an endless supply of biscuits for all good dogs, okay? Then find Gracie - she's lots taller than you, black but shiny instead of curly. She'll know lots good spots to run and play, and I'm sure she'll happily introduce you.

joycenalex
02-16-2004, 09:08 PM
oh amy, i'm sorry. duke, the sweet old golden boy is showing smokey all the gravey rivers and peanut butter bone bushes i'm sure. ((hugs))

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Okaiz.. guys... Dis iz Abby... mom's eyes is leakin' aggen...

Hi Smokey...

I hopes yoo have a nice trip to da big Bridge inna sky. Ur momma's both miss yoo'z so much... lossa da hoomans down on Erf have "leeky eyez".

Be safe an have lossa fun, ole Smokey... play hard onna Bridge.

Oh-- an Amy?

Smokey's gonna be en "Ayn-Jull" now... don't worries... no more leeky eyes, no more "teers". Smokey's inna good place now. He lubs yoo very much.

Bestest wishies,

Abby an' eye leekin' mom.

Cincy'sMom
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. What a sad day :(

You guys gave Smokey 18 wonderful years. May he rest in peace.

Pam
02-16-2004, 09:21 PM
I hope you don't mind Amy, but I took this from your album.

In Memory of Smokey ~ :(
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p4e4e2104b0fa3865008706f75584161c/fd5f648f.jpg

Sudilar
02-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of Smokey's passing. Run free and healthy, Smokey, at Rainbow Bridge. My heart goes out to you and your family at your great loss.

slick
02-16-2004, 09:52 PM
RIP sweet Smokey and I know that you've made friend with Toshie and Trixie by now. I can just see you all chasing tennis balls and swimming in the lakes!! You are very much loved.

Karen
02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Oh, Smokey, I forgot to tell you - Gracie may still be all white around the eyes and muzzle, unlike you, she went grey really early.

18 years of love and curls don't disappear, we'll miss you, one of our senior guys of Pet Talk's doggie side. I'm usre you taught that whippersnapper Nebo a lot, even if you think he didn't learn nuthin'.

RobiLee
02-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Oh, Amy. I am so sorry to hear this. Smokey lived a long life and knew he was loved. He was such a lucky pup.

Rest In Peace, Smokey

Hugs for you Amy....Robin

AmberLee
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Rest in Peace, sweet Smokey.

Amy, holding you and your grieving family in our prayers.

Amber L.

aly
02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Amy -

When I heard the news of Smokey, my heart went out to you. Then after reading your words, my heart broke for you. I really hope you and your mom are doing okay. Hold tight to the good memories and know that your family gave him one of the longest lives a dog could lead. The love you showed him allowed him to live such a full life. I know you will miss the boy, but find comfort in the fact that he is at peace and running free at the bridge now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know if you need to talk.

popcornbird
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh my gosh Amy. :(:(:(

First Binx, now Smokey.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your family gave Smokey the best 18 years of life a dog could possibly have. His memories will remain with you forever. RIP Smokey. :(

{{{hugs}}}

RubyMutt
02-16-2004, 11:43 PM
(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry to hear about this :( What a sad day for PT this has been :( RIP Smokey, have fun at the RB :(

shais_mom
02-17-2004, 12:07 AM
RIP Smokey. We love you! Godspeed to the Bridge. Play with all the PT babies.

Kfamr
02-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Amy,
Please let your mother, and the rest of your family, know that we are thinking about all of you.

Smokey lived a long, long, spoiled and great life with you guys, i'm sure him and Binx are getting to know eachother at the bridge.

When a beloved pet perishes...
his or her soul stays forever
in the hearts of everyone it touched
especially the ones of which it occupied
during it's blissful stay on Earth.

everything reminds us of it;
the loving touch, the clever antics
even some of the things that brought sadness
whereas their faces always brought smiles

it waits for you to come through the gates;
ecstatic, youthful, and benign.
with happy wiggles all over its body
so it can great you once again,
and forever, you stay by eachother's side.

Because;;
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/nalasimmy/signatures/smokey.gif

It's a very sad day here on Pet Talk, losing two of our boys, and the Bridge gaining two very lovely angels. Who will be missed; and of course, Never forgotten.

shais_mom
02-17-2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

and also

www.petloss.com is a wonderful site. I have a tribute to Shaianne there.

CountryWolf07
02-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Oh Amy.. I am so, so sorry to hear about Smokey.. :( when I first heard about this.. I can't imagine what you're going through.. pretty much the same way I went through with Benny.. Tell your Mom that I'm thinkin' of her, and that includes YOU, too. Smokey's in a better place.. he's up there, playing with Benny. :) Just remember this.. he is in a better place.. If you need to talk.. I'm here..

Amber
02-17-2004, 06:09 AM
omg gosh..

i cannot believe this....:(

Randi
02-17-2004, 06:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Smokey had to be put to sleep. :( I hope it will a comfort for you that he had a long life with your loving family.

Rest in Peace, Smokey.

Logan
02-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Amy, I'm so very sorry to read this news. :( Smokey did have a long and wonderful life with your family and I hope that you will all smile when you remember those happy times.

Rest in peace, dear Smokey.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-17-2004, 07:33 AM
i am sorry:( :( :(

What a sad day..

RIP dear Smokey.. I know you are happy and healthy running like a young pupster at the RB..

What a lucky pup you were to have such a long happy life with a wonderful loving family!.. say hey to all our RB babies for us..

We will miss you Smokey

anna_66
02-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Not you too Smokey, and so soon after your birthday:(

I know you lived a long wonderful life, but it doesn't make it any easier for everyone to let go of you.

I will tell you too, my Keisha is up there and I'm sure she'd love to be your friend and show you around. I hope you, Binx and all the others have fun romping around and playing at the bridge.

RIP Sweet Smokey

{{{Hugs}}} for you Amy

robinh
02-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Amy - I am so sorry to hear of Smokey's passing. First Binx and now Smokey. What a terrible time for you and your family. Words will not fill the hole in your heart left with his passing, but know that your memories will help ease your pain.

RIP Smokey

EssTer
02-17-2004, 08:20 AM
OMG :( :( I´m really sorry to hear it :(
RIP Smokey :(
Amy hugs from me to you.... :(

4 Dog Mother
02-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Amy, I am so sorry to hear of your and your mother's loss. 18 years is a long time for any dog to live and I know that Smokey's life was a wonderful one given to her by the love you and your family had for him. Know that many of us grieve with you and hold you and your mom in our prayers. RIP, Smokey!

PJ's Mom
02-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Not another one. :( First Binx now Smokey? :(

Im sorry for your loss, and but I'm very glad you got to spend 18 wonderful years with Smokey. I know he's found lots of new friends at the RB. :)

ramanth
02-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Amy, I'm so sorry for you and your family. :( :( RIP handsome Smokey. You will be missed.

jenfer
02-17-2004, 11:07 AM
RIP, Smokey. :(

tatsxxx11
02-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Oh Amy, I'm so very, very sad to hear this:(:(:( I'm sure it was a very diffciult decision for your Mom to make:( I know your hearts are broken. But until that day you and Smokey are together once more, hold tight to those many cherished memories you hold in your heart. Dear little Smokey, you sweet little man...you were so very loved and lived such a long and happy life. But still, we are never ready to let go of our beloved furkids and you will be so very, very missed. I'm so glad I got to wish you one more Happy Birthday, sweetheart. Run and scamper happy and healthy once more there at the RB Smokey. And you and Binx look out for each other. Amy, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this very sad time. Love, Sadnra

Albea
02-17-2004, 12:06 PM
After I thought I did my crying for the day reading about Binx, I read about Smokey also going to the Bridge. What a sad day...
Amy, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Smokey had a wonderful 18 years, full of love. And he's young and healthy again, playing with Binxie Boy and all the other beloved pets who welcomed him at the end of the Rainbow.
Have fun, Smokey, and if you see two Golden girls, Natasha and Irina are their names, tell them I still love them and think about them every day, the same that your family will always love you.

catland
02-17-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace Smokey. You will always be loved.

ChrisH
02-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Amy, I am so sorry. I know he had been with you for a long time and he wasn't doing too good anymore, so it was the best and most loving thing do for him. But it still hurts so much doesn't it.
Sending Big, Big, hugs for you and your Mom.

Rest in peace Smokey boy.

Chris

Cataholic
02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I didn't know I could cry any more tears...but, I could. I am so sorry to hear about Smokey. May he and Binx enjoy meeting one another, and being the new kids on the block.
Hugs to you and your family at this very difficult time.
Johanna

primabella
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I am so sorry Amy. I am close to tears. *HUGS* Smokey and Binx will be together running happily with all the other RB pets. All happy and pain-free.

RIP dear Smokey.

wolf_Q
02-17-2004, 03:01 PM
I started to read the replies but now I'm in tears. I'm at school right now so I'm going to come back later to read everything. :(

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the replies.

My Peanuts
02-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Oh Amy! I was just reading what you wrote for Binx and it didn't click in my head until I search dear Smokey's name. I'm so sorry to hear Smokey was helped to the RB, but you had a lot of good years with him. It probably won't help now, but in time you will think back and it will comfort you that he was not young when he died. We had to put my dog Barney to sleep when he was 18 years old and I was very sad, but I knew he led a full life. Even though he was a big part of your life for so long, it is still better to know he was 9 years old when he died, like my Angie was.

wolfie
02-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm so sorry! :( :( RIP Smokey.

Aspen and Misty
02-17-2004, 03:14 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/smilies/lieb/52.gif Omg Amy I just found out :( you gave Smokey such a wonderful life, he couldn't of asked for a better family to live his days with. :(

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/smilies/lieb/52.gif

Ashley
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif

Miss Meow
02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about dear Smokey.

Hugs to you and your family. It's a dreadfully sad thing to lose such a valued member of the family. We are all crying with you.

{{{hugs}}}

Dogz
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh my god, I just read this.:( :( :( :( :(

I just can't believe it. I am so sorry, Amy. *hugs*

I can't imagine the pain that you are going through, but we are all here for you.

Have fun at the RB, Smokey. Rest in Peace.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

mugsy
02-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Amy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll bet Smokey and Binx and all the others are playing together totally pain free and happy and waiting for us to join them. Just remember the good times.

RIP Smokey

bluekat
02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Amy:( {{{hugs}}}
Smokey had a wonderful life, and I'm sure he's at the RB now looking over you and thanking you for it.
RIP Smokey...have fun at the RB...

jazzcat
02-17-2004, 05:00 PM
I am so sorry!!:(

Rest in peace sweet Smokey.

apcrs5122
02-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry for you and everyone else. RIP beloved Smokey, you are missed dearly:( :(

AvaJoy
02-17-2004, 08:47 PM
May prayer and the passing of time ease your grief over the loss of dearest Smokey. Please accept my sincerest condolences, and find comfort in knowing that Smokey will be enjoying all the glories the RB has to offer.

kimlovescats
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
My sincere condolences for the loss of precious Smokey. :(

luckies4me
02-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Reading the part about his bed being gone just made me so sad. :( I am so sorry for your loss and please offer my condolences to your mother, and of course they are offered to you as well, and Nebo too. I am Nebo misses him too. What a sad day it's been. Terribly sad. :(

Crikit
02-17-2004, 11:54 PM
God Amy, I just saw this otherwise I would have posted sooner.

You have no idea how sorry I am to hear about Smokey. He was a great grumpy little old man ;) and the lose of him will leave a hole in all of our hearts.

You'll be in my prayers and thoughts tonight my friend, and if you need anything anything at all. Even if it's just to chat, you let me know okay?

Much love Amy, and R.I.P. Smokey.

rg_girlca
02-17-2004, 11:54 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Smokey.
May the loving memories comfort you and help you overcome the pain.

Rest in Peace dear Smokey.

EssTer
02-18-2004, 07:10 AM
I made this card for Smokey...
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/EssTer/smokey2.bmp

Rachel
02-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh, Amy! We've known Smokey for a long time and I've always taken great pleasure in the pictures of him on those outdoor adventures. He was truly amazing in his advanced years always eager to be with his family whereever the road took them. Smokey was a true Dog of the Day type dog, if there ever was one. I bet your mom could write a book about this little guy. I am so sorry that she and you have to face the grief of his loss. Smokey's spirit will always be in the heart of those of us who came to know him through you and your pictures. Thank you for sharing your dear little Smokey.

tatsxxx11
02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
That was a beautiful gesture, EssTer:)

wolf_Q
02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the replies, pms and gorgeous pics and signatures.

I know I didn't talk about Smokey as much, and now I'm feeling awful about that. I loved that little guy so much though. He was a part of my life. My parents brought him home when I was 2 years old. I don't remember a day without him. We didnt always get along, I have battle wounds to prove it...he had his grumpy moments, but we still had some great times together. He went on all of our camping trips. Never a foofoo dog, he was always the first to jump into a lake after a fish and he always prefered to lay right in the dirt.

He was my mom's absolute shadow. He didn't want to be more than a few feet from her. Even the past few months when he was pretty much blind and deaf, and had a hard time walking...he always wanted to be near her. I admire my mother for her patience. I don't think there's many people who would change a diaper on a dog and clean up other messes each day without getting upset. She knew it wasn't his fault.

She's asked me every day if she did the right thing. She asked me if I thought Smokey hated her. I know in my heart Smokey would NEVER hate her. I think Smokey is happier now. His quality of life was not there. Now he's painfree...running, barking, and rolling in the mud. I hope there's a tummy-rub service at the Rainbow Bridge, he loved that.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p8294efa46e1171cf27033d1e87afb457/fca56d08.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p8cfd96fe5f111e4d3fb08e38e3340513/fca56cfd.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid34/pe14fb8a34c60ddab4223407772aa502d/fd37e779.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p266405dc58a316b7fde6a6a1e2e7de11/fd68eea6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p68c0be1be2c97b3ecac971d1e9e6985f/fd3b71f8.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about Smokey's passing.:( I hope that all of his wonderful memories will help you get through this difficult time. RIP sweet Smokey and say hi to my Pepper for me.

Karen
02-19-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm sure my Mom at the Rainbow Bridge would be happy to oblige Smokey with as many tummy rubs as he wants, and when her arm gets too tired, Cinder and Smokey's Grandmom wil take over.

Our first dog, growing up dog, always stays in our hearts, Amy. You can still tell Smokey stories the rest of your life, and whisper them to Nebo when he's asleep.

You give your Mom a great big hug for me, okay? Tell her she did the right thing, and we all love her.

wolf_Q
02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Karen, I'm glad to know there's some doggy-loving friends up there to oblige him for the tummy rubs. :)

Pam
02-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Amy thank you for posting those pictures. They have made the tears roll down my face again as well as your beautiful post. Smokey was a very special little boy indeed. I loved hearing how he was first in the lake and loved to lay in the dirt. :) My Ripley looks so much like a young Smokey and is also glued to my side. We call him my velcro dog. :) When I leave the house he stays in the window until I come home. I wish I could reach through the computer and give your mom a hug. I know the pain she is feeling. Losing your "shadow" must be a terrible feeling. She looks around and there is no one there.

My two toy poodles were already about 6 and 7 years old when I had skin kids. Though one lived to be 17 (I know he has been by Smokey's side since he went to the RB) ;) the children really considered them "my" dogs. The dogs they remember are the ones we got as puppies when they were older.

I know you loved Smokey. Gosh we all did. Tell your mom each day will get easier but she will probably look for that little black furry body every now and then or listen for the click of his little nails on the kitchen floor. I know Nebo and Reggie will help pull her through this. (((hugs))) to you both!

Sudilar
02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
She's asked me every day if she did the right thing. She asked me if I thought Smokey hated her.

Your Mom gave Smokey the greatest gift of unselfish love...release from pain. No matter how much it hurt your Mom, she did what was best for Smokey. The love for Smokey was more important than her own feelings of great loss that she would feel. That is true and pure love.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-20-2004, 06:19 PM
OMG, Amy, I am soooooooo sooooo sorry to hear about Smokey. I just about lost it when I saw your signature, and read this. I am so sorry. Give your mom a big hug for me. I love you, dear Smokey. Rest in Peace, sweetheart. :( :( :( :( :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Amy,

I am just now seeing this because I have been out of town for a while now. My heart goes out to you and your mom. I haven't been able to stop crying since I read the title of the thread.

R.I.P. Smokey!

gini
02-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Amy, I too have been away from Pet Talk due to computer problems.

It was horrible to come back and find that two beloved pets have passed to the Rainbow Bridge.

My heart goes out to you in your loss and to your family.

We love our pets so much, and it is so difficult to let them go.

The Rainbow Bridge - if I am fortunate, I pray that is one of the first places I get to visit when it is my time.

Please accept my deepest sympathy on your loss.