PDA

View Full Version : Binx is at the RB...

Cataholic
02-16-2004, 04:39 PM
It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you I had Binx PTS this morning, at 820am. I am in a state of disbelief that my big baby boy is no longer with me. The last few months, especially, the last few weeks have been very, very hard, mostly on me, some on Binx. We had great hopes for sir jury, a cure, or at least a liveable fix. It just didn't seem to be in the cards for him. I had the biopsy work done the last week of January, and was hopeful that something new could be discovered. Nothing was. The Doctor was fairly suprised at the growth of the gum. He hadn't realized it had grown so much. The doctor in New Jersey, when he recieved the xrays, was pretty dumbfounded about Binx's tooth placement. The sir jury he was proposing was going to be pretty radical, very painful, and at least a two step process. The sad news was- this wasn't a guarantee. All of it could grow back. I thought long and hard about putting Binx (and me) through this, and what would it be like to have him in this condition for the rest of his life. I came to the very difficult decision that Binx wasn't going to be a test animal, nor could I live with him, in a house, the way he was. The smell of the gum either decaying, or the food stuck in the crevices decaying was very overwhelming. I cannot really explain it sufficently to make it seem as significant as it was. It was nauseating. I didn't know if I was being fair to Binx, or not anymore. While I told myself he was happy, and in my heart of hearts, I believe he was, I can't say he wasn't in pain or discomfort. I couldn't say subjecting him to further sir jury would be worthwhile. I can't really say that I could have sucessfully placed him in a shelter, or home. It was really a major deformity. I was overwhelmed, and I was used to it. I feel like I have betrayed Binx, that I was the one person that said I would love him forever, and 'fix' him. Then, I changed my mind. I hurt so bad over my decision. I can only pray that this was in his best interest, and where ever he is, he knows I love him tremendously, and wanted nothing but the best for him. Sadly, I will have this on my conscience for the rest of my life. That still won't make it right. I wanted you all to know, since you supported us so much. I hope my decision won't make you feel less for me. Please say a prayer for my big baby, lumbering around at the RB, with a full set of teeth, a normal jawbone, and all the tennis balls he wants.
Johanna

*LabLoverKEB*
02-16-2004, 04:42 PM
OMG, Johanna, I'm so, so, so sorry to hear about Binx. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( He is a beautiful dog. We all lovbed him. He is a sweetheart. He loved you, Johanna, very, very much. Love and prayers, Sarah and Sadie May.

micki76
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Johanna, I can't stop crying. I'm so sorry. Please don't feel guilty, I think you did the best for Binx. There would have been too many hurdles and I'm sure the risk of infection was great, due to the crevices and food getting stuck in there.

Sometimes it's harder to do what you know is right, than to do what you want to do.

I'm so truly sorry. :(

Tweety_Pie
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I am so sorry.:( Rest in peace dear Binx, you are very missed. I am soo sorry for your loss:(

Rio and Me
02-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry have i missed somthing????
I thought Binx was young?
Did he have a diease of some sort????

I am very sorry for your loss he looks like a very large gentle cute giant, such a loss of a great dog is the worst loos ever, i;m sorry for you and hope that your next dog will be a needy resuce
Ky and Rio

popcornbird
02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Oh Johanna!! :(:(:( {{{hugs}}}

Gosh I cannot stop crying!! I really don't know what to say other than I am in tears after reading this, and just so very heartbroken. You were so devoted to Binx, such a loving mommy to him. He could NEVER have had a better and more loving guardian than you. I know he knows you love him, and what you did was with concern and in his best interest. I know it is painful. I can't even imagine how you are feeling at this moment. :( Please don't feel guilty. You did the best you could, and God knows that, and so does Binx.

If you need to talk, know that I am here for you. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but I know you made the best decision in Binx's best interest. I know life must have been hard for him, and it would have been hard to go on like this. Please take care. You'll be in my prayers.

:(

{{{big hugs}}}

green_chameleon_girl
02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
aww Im so sorry to hear about Binx!:( R.I.P Binx!! You are always loved

Cincy'sMom
02-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Oh My Johanna. I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you must have been going through making this decision. Binx was a wonderful dog that touched many of our lives. It was a pleasure to know Binx. You put some much time and love into him, if you feel this was the right decision, it must have been. None of us were in your shoes and could know the pain you must have dealt with on a daily basis.

Know that we are here for you if you need to talk. I hope you will still come a visit at the dog park.

RIP Binx. We love you!

GSDgurl
02-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Im sooo sorry to here about your Binxy Boy.

RIP Binx......your always loved.:(

tatsxxx11
02-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh Johanna:(:(:( I'm so, so sorry. I can't see for the tears. Johanna, each and every one of us knows how much you loved your beautiful Binx and NO ONE could have done more, tried harder, to make him healthy and whole again. We have nothing but love and admiration and respect for you for being the best, most devoted and dedicated Mommy in the whole, wide world. Binx was so blessed to have you as his Mom. I'm devastated for you loss, simply heartbroken:(:(:( Please remember that Binx knew how very, very loved he was, each and every day of his life. You did all that you could and in the end, you had the courage to do what was best for your beautiful boy. I wish I could say something to comfort you. I know your heart's breaking. We're here for you Johanna to give you support and to listen whenever you feel like talking. Please God, comfort Johanna and give her strength to face the difficult days ahead. {{{HUGS}}} Bless you beautiful Binx.

Pam
02-16-2004, 04:58 PM
(((Hugs Johanna))) Binxy will be missed here at Pet Talk. :(

primabella
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Oh, Johnanna I have tears in my eyes. :( I am soo sorry about this. But just know that you did everything you could for Binx and he appreciates that. Just thinking back on everything you went through together to help him better is a wonder to me. I am sure he is running happily and pain-free at the RB. You did all you could and I am sure that Binx knows that you did what was best for the both of you. *HUGS* Take care of yourself.

I'll be keeping the two of you in my prayers. We are all here for you.

Miss Meow
Jo, I can't say much because I'm crying, but you knew him best. Any decision of that magnitude will bring about regret, but you must've made it with Binxy's wellbeing in mind.

Big hugs to you

sisterdog
Even though I rarely post, I was following Binx's story and praying for a cure for his condition. I'm so sorry that it came down to this. I know it was a very difficult decision, and based on what you said, must be the right one. Tears are starting...RIP Binx, play free at the RB.

GoldenRetrLuver
02-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry. :( I don't know what to say.
RIP sweet Binx. Have fun at the Rainbow Bridge. Keep an eye on mom, okay? She misses you dearly.

I'm at a loss for words. :(

{{{HUGS}}} to you, Johanna. :(

Foam
02-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm so sorry. :( Please R.I.P, Binxy boy...we'll all miss you!

popcornbird
02-16-2004, 05:06 PM
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/popcornbird/dd962cad.jpg

RIP Binxie. We love you. :(:(

Desert Arabian
02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
NOOOOO! OMG! OMG! NO! NOT BINX!! OMG! JOHANNA! I am so sorry! I don't know what to say, I am shocked, I glassed over the thread title and gasped!

Oh baby Binx, I love you! I am so glad I got to meet you at the Findlay dog park! You were such a sweetie pie- sooo cute!! I remember you were nawty and kept crawlin' all over the table, making mama kinda nervous! :D Stinker! Now you have fun at the dog park at the RB! You keep watch over your mom, keep her safe, ok!?!?

Bye Binxy! I love you. Rest in Peace!

http://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown_2.gifhttp://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown_2.gif http://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown_2.gif

Karen
02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh, Johanna, my heart hurts for you. Binxie should look up Freckles at the Rainbow Bridge, she'll lead him right to my mom, who has a special place in her heart for Saint Bernards. He'll be spoiled rotten there waiting for you some day.

Big hugs, St. Bernard sized. We love you.

Amber
02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Im my gosh, Im very sorry for this. RIP sweet binx..:( :(

Christiansmommy
02-16-2004, 05:15 PM
((((HUGS)))), my heart truely aches for you. I am so sorry that this all had to happen...i know the decision was a hard one for you to make...but you are right, now Binxy is 100% healthy and out of any pain that he may have been experiencing. You certainly tried all you could, above and beyond what most people might have done...Binx thanks you for that, and thanks you for putting his best interests at heart, and letting go, so that he could enjoy his new healthy life at the bridge.

((((HUGS))) and prayers are being sent up for you and the big boy.

K9soul
02-16-2004, 05:22 PM
I wish I had the right words to say to bring comfort to you. I'm just overwhelmed with how tragic this is, and how incredibly painful it must have been for you. I have tears streaming down my face and a heavy, hurting heart for Binx and for you.

My deepest sympathies to you, and my most heartfelt prayers go out to you in this very very difficult and painful time.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Johanna,

My heart just aches for you! Poor Binx -- may he rest in peace and may you live in peace knowing you did the right things for hm.

Sara

Felicia's Mom
02-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I am sorry; RIP Binx.:(

PayItForward
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
*cries* :( Rest in peace Binx, tell your earth mummy that you are happy and healthy and nearly drowning in tennis balls.

Johanna, you did the right thing, don't feel guilty. :(

{{{Hugs}}} To you and your kitties

Cataholic
02-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I appreciate it. I will be back soon...

Pops, thank you for making Binx the Angel I knew he was.

jenfer
02-16-2004, 05:51 PM
RIP, Binx.

Johanna, take care of yourself too. You have been a great mommy to Binx and I am sure he knows it.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

4 Dog Mother
02-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Johanna, I am so sorry you had to go through this. A decision like this is never easy to make but you know in your heart of hearts what you did was best and right. Don't feel guilty! You gave more love, spent more money on trying to make things right for Binx than a lot of people do for their children. Everyone knows that are a special person for just taking Binx and trying to find a way to make his life "normal". We will never know why Binx was like this, why he came into your life but if we believe in God we know there is a reason -- and maybe the answer is within all that you gave us here at Pet Talk sharing Binx and his problems and yours with us. "Many people walk through our lives but few leave footprints in our hearts." You and Binx left footprints in many hearts. And do continue to come to Pet Talk Gatherings in Findlay. We would miss you terribly if you don't - and I could always lend you a dog - or two - to keep track of if need be.

Karen
02-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Binx, you tromped into our hearts
On those classic St. Bernard pup dinner-plate paws
Slobbered us all with kisses
And in our hearts you'll stay.

Binx you knew how much Johanna loved you
She was your angel, and always will be
And is heartsadsick, but
Knows you are at peace now.

Binx, drooler-extraordinaire, grinning guy,
Handsome boy in your own special way
Patient with the scary doctors, but still
We're glad you don't have to see them any more.

Binx, we all loved you
Even if strangers couldn't see past your different-ness
We knew, we know, your heart is even bigger
Than your problematic grin.

Binx, sweetest boy
We love you.

Binx, when you get to the Rainbow Bridge
With your ready-made sad eyes that Saint Bernards share
All the ladies will spoil you
My mom at the lead.

We'll miss you, Binxie dear
No one more than Momma Johanna
You changed her forever, you know.

Come to her dreams, will you Binx,
And nuzzle her sad, sad heart
So she'll know
That you know
She'll love you forever
And wanted only the best for you.

The Dog Park will be a little emptier
Grand boy, biggest puppy Binx
Heart as big as ever could be
We love you
We miss you

Play free.

popcornbird
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
That was beautiful Karen. It made me cry even more.

Such a sad, sad day on PT. :( I knew today would be a sad day just when I woke up. The dark, gloomy weather was telling me something. :(

{{{Hugs Johanna}}}

clara4457
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Words cannot describe how sorry I am for you loss. I know it is such a difficult decision, but I am absolutely sure you did the right thing for Binx. He is no longer in pain, and is now happy and free at the Bridge and will wait for you there. He will have plenty of playmates to keep him busy until you meet again.

Nobody could ever feel that you did not do everything you could for the sweet boy, but in the end it was time to let him go be happy and free.

God Bless Johanna and Godspeed Binx - we will miss you

Cinder & Smoke
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
A Loving Tribute ~

* Binx *

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p1684d21caaa52971dda5f2993afb40f2/f999e6d9.jpg

Rest In Eternal Peace, Dear Binx.

You will remain In Our Hearts ~ Forever.

Originally posted by Cataholic

Please say a prayer for my big baby,
lumbering around at the RB,
with a full set of teeth,
a normal jawbone,
and all the tennis balls he wants.

/s/ With Love, Mom

:( :(

trayi52
02-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Johanna, I am soo sorry to hear about Binx. I didn't even know he was having problems. I will say a prayer for you and your big beautiful Binx. I know you are truly going to miss that guy, as he was a big part of your life.

Johanna, I know you made the right decision, and now he can play and do much better at rainbow bridge.

I am just so shocked. When I seen this thread, I just kept saying oh please don't let Binx be gone. I am so sorry, I don't know what else to say. I am just speehless and just feel so much pain for you. Please rest well knowing you helped Binx to a better way of life, you knew what was best for him. I am very sorry for your loss.

Willie

delidog
02-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Oh Dear Johanna,and Sweet Boy Binx!!!!

My Heart goes out to you both....
I don't know what words to say...
Just please let me be one to say that I know how hard your decision was....There is no right or wrong...It is all about the Love you had for your Sweet Binx Boy!!!!!
You made the most difficult decision a Mother has to make...

Please know that Binx is at The Rainbow Bridge Now...and there are So Many Sweet Departed Souls there Just Waiting to Welcome him!!!

God Bless you Johanna for all you did for Binx...and the Wonderful Love and Quality of Life that you gave him!!!!

Godspeed Sweet Binx...
You are in our Hearts Forever!!!!

Nicole

slleipnir
02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Binxy :( I wish I could say comforting words, but I don't know what to say. RIP Binx, you will always be loved and missed :(:(

aly
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Johanna,

I don't think my heart has hurt this bad in a long time. I am a crying mess over this. I just feel for you so much. You were so special to Binx and you gave him chances that not a lot of people would have given him. You are the only person able to judge his quality of life. I know - as I'm sure everyone else here knows - that you did not make this decision lightly. I support you and your decision and I would never even dream of thinking you made a bad choice. You loved Binx and had his comfort, health, and peace in mind. You did what was best. Please do not second guess yourself.

You are a wonderful mom and gave Binx a wonderful life. I am sure he is smiling down on you with a big goofy grin.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rest in peace, sweet Binx boy.

Corinna
02-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Tears and prayers from us here !! I know how hard it is to make this decestion. I beleive you have do the right thing for Binxs. You gave him a time of love he would not have had. We hold you up in prayer.

lizbud
02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
OMG.:( I don't know what to say. I am so very sorry.

Rest In Peace sweet Binxy boy.:( We loved you too.:(

CathyBogart
02-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Play well at the bridge Binx, you are missed down here. :( :(

countrycowgirl
02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
OH MY I CAN'T STOP CRYING AFTER READING YOUR POST:( I THINK YOU DID THE RIGHT THING AND HE KNEW THAT HE KNEW HE WAS LOVED PLEASE DON'T FEEL GUILTY :( I WISH I COULD COME AND GIVE YOU A BIG HUG I AM PRETTY SURE YOU COULD USE ONE ABOUT NOW {{{{{{REALLY REALLY BIG HUG}}}}}}}} R.I.P. BINX YOU WERE SO LOVED

captain
02-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Johanna,

I cannot see through the tears .. {hugs}

No matter what, we will always be here for you. We all know how much you did for him, and how very much you loved him. You were the best Mummy he could have EVER had. You made such a hard decision and we have nothing but love and support for you.

Binx is playing happily at the RB, will all the balls he could want, looking down at you smiling.

Anytime you need to chat, PM me .......

Love
Michelle

mugsy
02-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Jo, I can't even breathe....I am so sorry. Please know he's playing with Dudley and Ryu and Smokey, and Butterscotch, and Lady. Please still come to the Dog Park, if you feel up to it. You know that you gave him more time and he would have had ordinarily and it was quality time where he was loved, warm, and taken care of.

RIP Binxy...we'll miss you.

zippy-kat
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
:( Rest sweetly, Binx.

{{hugs to you Jo}}

Cinder & Smoke
02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Hello, MOM ~

HI, MOM! It's me ~ Binx!

Gosh - I sure do MISS Ya - anna Kats, too!

But try not ta Fret too much - I'm in Good Hands
up here at The Bridge.

Buncha New Friends met me as soon as I got up here onna Bridge...
Shepherd named Casey, Husky/Shep named Shadow, Kat named Fred,
a Kute Lil Bunnie named Sophie,
anna Sweet Lil Ole Landy wiff Silver-Hair - goes by GranMom...

GranMom hadda *big* handful of Krunchie Bisquits - an Guess What!?
I *chomped* em rite up wiff my New TOOFERS!
You'll be So Happie when ya see me - I can *SMILE* now! :)

GranMon sez you need ta Thank God (I think He Runs This Place) fur
sendin me down to be part of your life...
They say that God only sends Dawggies like me down to Speshul People -
an you otta be Thankful that YOU were picked fur Me!
I'm really Thankful we had such a Wunnerful Time Together -
You're a GREAT MOM!

Sophie (da Wabbitt) sez we'll all have a Meetin up Here purdy soon...
Bout pickin a New FurKid to send down for You anna Kats to pal around wiff.
We put a lotta thought into those decisions -
and YOU gotta put in a *request* fur God to *approve*...
But I already spoke wiff Him - an He sed You're onna Pre-Approved List! ;)

So Mom - soon as you're ready - jest Call God onna HotLine.
Iffin you don't know the number - ask Cinder & Smokey -
they can patch you through.

Oh, an Mom ~ Please don't be frettin...
You know I jest *hate* it when ya get all Leaky-Eyed an uppy-set!)
And be sure ta say *HI* to all the ole Gang at Findlay fur me!!

I'll gib ya a <*ring*> every so oftin!
An iffin ya hear a big ThUmP down there onna Durt Ball -
It'z prolly jest ME - bUmpin into God's kawfee tabil!

Luv ya, Mom! {{{HUGGz}}}

/s/ Binx ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p1684d21caaa52971dda5f2993afb40f2/f999e6d9.jpg

Nomilynn
02-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Jo,

I'm so sorry about your loss. I know that you did this purely for Binx's best interests, and for that I think you are Binxs angel, just like he is yours now.

RIP sweet Binx. Play happily and eat lots of hard food!

Naomi

lovemyshiba
02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
I am so, so sorry Johanna.

I can barely see my computer through the tears. You were so wonderful to Binx in the time you shared together--NO ONE could have been more dedicated to him.
I know he is at the Rainbow Bridge, drowning in tennis balls, and smiling with his big healthy teeth, and running pain free and having a good old time.

I know you did the right thing. No one cared for Binx like you, and you knew what to do.

You will be in my prayers.
:( :( :( :(

dukedogsmom
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
When I saw the title, I started bawling. I am so sorry! I couldn't hardly even read it through my tears. God gave Binx to you for a reason. You did all and maybe even more for him than was possible. I'm sure he knows he was very loved by you. I know it must have been an almost impossible decision to make but you made it with his welfare in mind. Please don't feel guilty about this. It's not your fault and a lot of other people wouldn't even have given him half of the chances you gave him. I hope God will give you peace with this. Binx is now a normal, happy, healthy dog and the next time you see him, he will be whole. Duke and I send our love and hope you will feel better knowing that you did everything possible for that very special dog.

captain
02-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Phred,

That was lovely ....

carole
02-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Oh Johanna my heart goes out to you, when I saw this post I felt numb, I have read about Binx and I know how incredibly hard this decision was for you to make, and I feel so much for you.

Rest assured no-one thinks any less of you here, infact we all are proud of you, the time you gave to Binx, the caring and love he had.

I can understand how you must be feeling, and wish there was something I could say or do to ease your pain, but just wanted you to know I am thinking of you. TAKE CARE AND HUGE HUG TO YOU.

Tonya
02-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Oh, Johanna I am so sorry. My heart dropped when I read the title of the thread. I know that was a hard decision. I went through that when I put Rosco to sleep. I'm still not over the guilt.

I'm sure I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but you did so much for Binx, Johanna. You are far from a quitter. You put out much more effort then most people would. Know that you tried your best, and Binx is now happy at Rainbow Bridge. I think that you made the right decision.

RubyMutt
02-16-2004, 08:33 PM
My heart is breaking for you, Johanna :( I am so sorry to hear about this, I'm sure it was a very hard decision for you to make. I hope Binx is healthy and happy at the RB, where I'm sure he will be waiting for you.

RIP Binx :(

ChiRen
02-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Oh no I'm so sorry.
I know he will be missed.

Have fun at the Bridge Binx, and say hello to my Casey, would you? I'm sure she'd love to show you around.

Rest in peace Binx.

cloverfdx
02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Oh Johanna, my heart just broke when i read the title of the thread :( i am so sorry.

Please dont feel guilty You gave Binxs the best chance at life, and most of all you gave him love.

Play hard at the bridge dearest Binxie Boy. you will be missed.

anna_66
02-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh Jo, I am so sorry.

I am at such a loss for words right now that I don't even know what to say, and can't quit crying to say it.

I will come back later.....
{{{HUGS}}}

binka_nugget
02-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Phred, that was beautiful.

Johanna, no one will think any less of you. We all know how much you cared for Binx and how much you tried. Take care of yourself and know that we're all here for you. *hugs*

Have fun at the bridge Binxy boy. I hope you're enjoying yourself pain free at the RB.

Vermontcat
02-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Binxie boy is gone. :(
He was such a special dog and you did so much for him.
Hug all your state kitties tight tonight, they will help you get through this.

Dogz
02-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh Johanna.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

*hugs*

I am just so sorry. My heart goes out to you and Binx. Rest in peace, sweet Binx.

Johanna, we will not see any less of you, you were the best mom Binx could have.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh Johanna... I saw this thread and I got short of breath... I cannot believe what has happened.

Through the laughs and the tears,
you pulled through, boy.
Through the sloppy kisses and thundering paws,
you beat the odds.
God has a time for everyone,
some go too soon,
but you, sweet Binx,
went too soon.
God was searching for the best angel,
and he has found him,
my sweet Binxy boy,
have fun in the sky.

I know it's not my best, but my hands are shaking and I can barely think...

My heart breaks for you, dear Johanna.

joycenalex
02-16-2004, 09:04 PM
oh johanna, i am so sorry for you and for the hard awful, selfless decision for binxs' good. helping a much loved dog out of this life into the next is soso hard. i cried buckets when i helped duke over in september, my biggest comfort is /was in knowing he was no longer in pain. binx can play and chomp and eat with out pain now for always. joyce

Aspen and Misty
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
OMG! I can't even read any more. This is soo heart braking ::hugs:: I feel like I've lost my own baby boy ::hugs::

Binx -
Hush baby boy, try not to cry. There's a time for everyone. They must say good-bye. You left with a struggle, you tried hard to fight. It's your time to rest, say your final 'goodnight'. You'll look down from the heavens above, please try to remember the ones that you loved. The hearts of many were in your hands, so many crushed when you left this land but, we all know, you lived a life of pain, with a lot to lose and not much to gain.

As time passed, there was less we could do but, we knew you loved us and we loved you, too. So we've cherished the good times and special events and hoped that you knew what our love really meant. Now, I ask you, please, to finally sleep, I promise your memories We'll always keep.

http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/sad/mecry.gif

Ashley

Kfamr
02-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Johanna,
I know we've had many differences in the past, but one thing has always been equal between us, the love for our animals.
That love has brought me into tears right now, tears for you, tears for Binx.

It's really hard for me to put this all into words, it's too shocking. I read basically everyone one of your posts about him, but I was too afraid to respond. I'm so grateful I got to meet him, and you, he was such a great dog. It didn't seem like it bothered him much at all.

I'm sure he has many, many, many friends up at the bridge right now. And i'm sure he's already began stories about you, and all that you've done for him.

If there's anything you need to be said or done, feel free to ask.

We love you Binx, man.

Sudilar
02-16-2004, 09:50 PM
No, not Binx!! I am so very, very sad. I can't see through the tears right now. What a valiant fight you put up to help him. I am at a loss for words. The sadness is overwhelming.

Sweet, gentle Binx....you were too young.... RIP. :( :( :(

RobiLee
02-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Oh, Johanna, my heart is so full of sadness right now. I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry that you had to make this difficult decision. My heart is aching for you. We all know how much you loved Binx and all that you tried to do for him. Binx knew it too. Binx was such a sweetheart and I'm so glad that I got to meet him at the dog park. I know that my Katie girl liked him alot and that they seemed to follow each other around quite a bit. Binx will be sadly missed. I wish I had some magic words to make you feel better. I know that there are no such words right now though. Just know that we are all here for you and talk to us whenever you feel you need to. We all care and want to help. Even if there is nothing we can do we all are great listeners and supporters. My heart goes out to you and you and Binx will be in my prayers.

Hugs....Robin

REST IN PEACE, SWEET BINX

AmberLee
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh, Johanna!

I'm SO sorry to hear that poor Binx is gone. {{{Johanna and grieving furkids}}}

Romp happily at the Bridge, sweet Binx. You were a sweet, good boy, and you will be missed here very much.

So sorry for your loss. The release from his pain must be causing you so much. So very sorry...

Amber and the furkids.

kimlovescats
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Dear Johanna,

I had no idea that Binx had medical problems, as I don't visit the dog side nearly as much as I should. I am so terribly sorry to hear that your big guy was ill, and that you had the incredibly difficult choice to make regarding his future. I have NO DOUBTS that you made the proper decision for Binx, and I hope and pray that in time you will feel a sense of peace about having made this decision!

((((( MANY HUGS TO YOU ))))

wolfsoul
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Oh, Johanna, I read the title and gasped. But I'm glad that it's not what I thought it was --- I'm glad that he went peacefully. I'm terribly sorry that he's at the RB now, but he's in a better place. He'll be without pain forever. You made the right decision for both of you. Everything will be okay.

slick
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh Johanna, I'm crying so hard now; I can only imagine the pain you must be feeling. We all share your pain because to know Binx is to know love.

I'm sorry, I'll have to come back to write more......this is so very sad :(

CatDad
02-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Johanna do not beat yourself up over this, you did what you knew to be the right thing for Binx. Some of the best decisions that we make are often the hardest.

RIP Binx. Have a safe trip to the Rainbow Bridge where you will be able to play and romp all you want without pain or worry.

shais_mom
02-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh Johanna. I can't express my sympathy to you. I wish I was closer to hug you.
Godspeed to the Bridge. Shaianne baby, you play with Binxie boy until his momma can be there to love on him.
If you need anything Jo, please don't hesitate to email or PM me.

K9karen
02-17-2004, 12:15 AM
OMG! I feel like my heart is breaking!:( Everytime I saw a SB, I always said "There's Binxy!"
There are so many of us that know exactly what you're feeling. I'll never, ever get over having to send Cody to RB, but like you, my love was so overwhelming and overpowering, I couldn't bear to see him suffer. Please, please, don't feel guilt. It was truly an unselfish act. Binxy would have suffered more with all those uncertain surgeries. He knows you worshipped him. Please have no regrets. The pain of losing him is unbearable and will always be with you, but now he is healthy and pain free and playing and keeping his eye on you, his precious, sweet, loving mommy. I've told Cody to greet him with a waggy butt, slurpy kisses and share his tennis balls. You'll be in my prayers.

shais_mom
02-17-2004, 12:24 AM
http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

CountryWolf07
02-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Oh I am SO sorry to hear about the loss of Binx... **HUGS** Sweet Binx.. he's in a better place.. Don't blame yourself over this..

shais_mom
02-17-2004, 12:29 AM
and also

www.petloss.com is a wonderful site. I have a tribute to Shaianne there.

bisi.cat
02-17-2004, 01:06 AM
I am so sad to hear this...
RIP dear Baby Binx...and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you, Johanna...
:( :( :(

Barbara
02-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Oh Johanna, I sit here crying.

I am so sorry for you and poor Binxie. From time to time we have to learn that there are things we cannot change, even if we put all our heart and all our power in.:(

Let it be a comfort for you that Binx had the best of lives that was possible for him and one thing you can learn from pets: they accept so much more than we do.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Barbara

Randi
02-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Johanna, my heart goes out to you in this sad time! Your decision was very hard, but I'm sure in time you'll see it was the right one. I hope you will find comfort in the good times you shared and knowing that Binx is not suffering now.

Binx, you will be terribly missed - I hope you'll be romping around at the RB with the other doggies.

Rest in Peace, dear Binx!

Many hugs to you, Johanna!

Logan
02-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Johanna, what a brave, loving woman you are. You made a completely unselfish decision to allow Binx the freedom he deserved, and while he was here, you gave him all the chances and opportunities that he would not have been otherwise afforded.

Your heart is sad, and so are all of ours, but we will always have a special place for him in our memories because of all the wonderful stories you have told us of him.

Please know that you and Binx are in our hearts and prayers. :(

That angel is looking down on you and smiling a big, toothy grin (with some drool added in). I'm just sure of it!!! :)

catlover4ever
02-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Johanna, no words right now can make you feel better or comfort you, however, know in your heart that you did what you felt best and I am sure that Binx thanks you for that. Over the next few days, weeks and months may you find peace in your heart. Know that you are in my prayers and my heart. --- Meg

catnapper
02-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Now I'm crying too.
{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you for the hardest decision of your life. You know that your decision wasn't made lightly or in haste... you thought about it, sought answers, and made the humane decision for him. Nobody would ever judge wrongly you for this - in fact, I see you as a strong and caring woman!

Rest in peace and happiness Binx!

moosmom
02-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Johanna,

I am so sorry to hear about Binxy Boy. He was very special and I know how difficult a decision it was for you.

Please know that we all will miss him and that we are here for you.

RIP Mr. Binx. You were the best St. Bernard I have ever met!

((((hugs))))

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Johanna..

I am so sorry!:( I know your heart is truly aching right now... and you are in my prayers along with happy healthy RB Binx...

Just know that you gave him every chance you could which is 150% more than what most people would..

He got to experience a happy life and learned what true love is.. You did such a wonderful thing for him by loving him and treating him like he was the special pup we know he was... I know he knows you love him and did all you knew to do... {{{HUGS}}}

You are a very big person to take on the burdon you did... and we all respect you a lot!

anna_66
02-17-2004, 07:36 AM
I thought it might be easier this morning, but.....

I have read everything everyone has said & I don't know what more comforting words I can add. Just know that he loved you & you loved him & that you did what you thought best for him.

I'm here if you want to talk at all...any time.

I still hope you can come to Findlay sometime, I'm sure we'd all like to comfort you and share some of those wonderful Binx stories.

You will be missed big boy, by your mommy and by anyone who ever knew you. You were so loving and always so happy.

I'll never forget this picture, one of the first ones you showed us of Binxy boy. It always made me smile, and always will.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p5b74b1cc02c4f01668db7695729f7fdf/f9b75b2b.jpg

Have fun at the RB big boy and say hi to my Keisha girl when you see her.

Anna

Killearn Kitties
02-17-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm so very sorry to read your sad news today. I didn't know Binx well, but had always admired your lovely picture of him that is in your signature.

No-one was better placed than you to know what was best for Binx. You had to make a very painful decision and I am sure you were right to do so.

Rest in peace sweet Binx.

sqwelch
02-17-2004, 07:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Binx, it the hardest decision to make but I'm sure it was the right one and Binx will understand that. {{{HUGS}}}

robinh
02-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Johanna - I just saw this and wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I have tears in my eyes now hearing of your loss.

I believe that Binx knew just how much he was loved! I never got to meet him, but have followed his story from the beginning. From reading all the posts, I learned that you are a strong caring woman who took on the challenge of loving and caring for him without reservation. That must have made your deicision even more difficult.

RIP Binx

EssTer
02-17-2004, 08:19 AM
OMG,it´s so sad to hear it... I´m so sorry....RIP Binx :(

Hugs to you Johanna

ramanth
02-17-2004, 08:26 AM
so hard to see thru my tears..... oh Johanna.. I'm so sorry!!!!! *HUGS* I know in my heart and believe you did what you thought was best. Please don't blame yourself. You gave him love and a chance.. something he probably wouldn't have recieved with his previous owner.

Binxy boy.. I'm going to miss you. :( :(

PJ's Mom
02-17-2004, 08:32 AM
I guess I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Just know that Rottie and I are very sorry for your loss and your pain. :(

Always keep your precious boy in your heart, and in time, the guilt will subside.

Kona & Oreo's mom
02-17-2004, 09:01 AM
We all know how much you did for wonderful Binx, and in the end you made the most difficult decision, but in his best interest. I wish our words could comfort you during this very sad time. With condolences,
Andrea

slick
02-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Johanna: I'm sorry that I didn't have much to say before....I was crying too hard :(

I'm trying really hard to say something that will bring you comfort but the words escape me now. You must be in so much pain, but please don't blame yourself or feel that you let him down. As hard as it was, I think you made the right decision and one good thing is that you don't have to go through this alone. We love you and will always be here for you.

To all of you who posted pictures of Binxie, they are lovely and Phred, what can I say. You continually make me cry with the words you write (don't worry, it's a good thing says Martha).

With Speckles being 16 I know that I will have to face it one day and reading all the experiences here on Pet Talk gives me encouragement that I will make the right decision at the right time.

Hugs to you Johanna.

PCB: what a lovely Binxie angel :)

sasvermont
02-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Oh my gosh, I am shocked. Actually, I am not, from all the problems he was born with, it sounds as though you did the right thing for the Binx man. I would have done the same thing.

Remember, we are here to protect and care for our pets and make tough decisions from time to time.

Binx deserved to be at peace with his birth defects. He is now. He is there with all of the other fine (and not so fine) pets of ours. Rest in Peace sweet Binx.

Sas and her happy campers

K9soul
02-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I am still crying every time I look at this thread. It's hard for me to even visit Pet Talk at the moment. I never even met Binx in person, but I feel so sharply the pain anyway. It is the first time I have realized just how much I come to feel for the other pets here that I come to know through pet talkers.

I know other links have been provided, but I thought I'd throw in the one where my tributes to my RB collies are as well...

www.in-memory-of-pets.com

For an example... this is Willie's tribute page. He puts your choice of music etc. The poem I wrote.

http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personaltribute.asp?ID=12227

You and Binx continue to be in my prayers.

ChrisH
02-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Oh, Johanna, I am so sorry. It took such great courage and love to make that decision. My heart is aching for you, my tears are flowing for you.
{{Many, many, Hugs}}

Rest in peace sweet Binxy.

Chris

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Johanna, I don't know what to say except I'm so sorry that you had to make this difficult decision. You did so much for Binx, and had such hope that the white coats would be able to help him. You did so much to try and find someone who could help, and I can't imagine there are than many people in this world that would have gone to such lenghts. But you did. You gave him so much love and I know he knows that.

I can only imagine what you have gone through in the last few days as you arrived at this decision. {{{Hugs}}} to you at such a difficult time.

RIP sweet Binxie. You left paw prints in so many hearts and you will dearly be missed. :(

PS - I'm so glad I got to meet him in Findlay. I have a few pics of him that I will post, but Imagestation is down right now. I don't have a pic of it, but the image that comes to my mind is Binx chewing on (and slobbering all over) Phred's arm. <sad smile>

SadiesDad
02-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Johanna,

There aren't the words, so pls accept the <<HUGS>>.

You and Binx will always be loved, and hold special places in our hearts.

Our thoughts and prayers are yours.

Ralph

Albea
02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Dear Johanna:
I know that there are no words that could bring you much comfort right now. Everything has been said about your devotion to Binxie. He couldn't have had a better mommy than you and the love he brought into your life will remain forever in your heart. Ending his suffering was the best gift you could have given him to show your love.
As time goes by you might be able to think of him at the Bridge, playing with his friends, free of pain, thanks to your decision to help him on his journey.
We are always here for you. Hugs.

catland
02-17-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Through your posts, Binx became a true pillar of PT and he will be so very, very missed.

Remember in your heart that the very painful decsion to have him PTS was the last, most unselfish act of love that you could bestow on him.

Binx was so lucky to have you and the tuxie gang as his family.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Now that Imagestation is back up, here are 3 pics from the Findlay Bark Park last Memorial Day.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pdf932588d8a7b99fa1401a25d45a718e/f998562e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p4c10005a530a54549afd97dbf03349db/f998562c.jpg

And my favorite
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p16ce39a04407e0d70c9512ac5d0ea06b/f9985625.jpg

Fett
02-17-2004, 12:35 PM
R.I.P. Binx, my friend. You were loved by everyone who met you.:(

RICHARD
02-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Bless you and Binx...

thoughts and prayers.....

Denyce
02-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Nothing we say can take away the pain, only time will help to heal. But knowing how much you loved Binx the decision you made was the best one you could have made. I am so sorry for the empty hole you now have in your heart. Binx loves you and is now happily romping around.

Denyce

My Peanuts
02-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Dear Johanna, Everyone on PT knows how much you loved Binx and everything you did for him. You gave him more chances than anyone could have imagined and I support your decision to help him to the RB. You should have no regrets, and I'm sure Binx is looking down on you to thank you. :( :( :(

2kitties
02-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Aw Johanna, I'm so sorry. Pops told me to get up here and read about this. I just don't know what to say to make it hurt less. But we all love you.

wolf_Q
02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Binx. I hope he and Smokey are together making friends at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm glad I was able to meet him, what a special guy. :(

wolfie
02-17-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm very sorry. :( RIP Binx.

Truffles
02-17-2004, 03:44 PM
so sorry for your loss :( i know its hard to lose a beloved pet or relative and whats worse is the pain never leaves :( i still miss my little boy webster to this day :( ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

marylyn

tikeyas_mom
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I dont know what to say other then I am soooooo sorry about Binx :(..

RockyRoad
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Johanna, I am so sorry about Binx. :( He was such a handesome boy, and he did nothing to deserve all the things he went through. I'm sorry you had to make such a tough decision. Binx was such a tough boy to deal with the things he had gone through.. he was such a fighter. And you did SO much for Binx, and went through so many things for him. You opened your arms and welcomed him into your household of kitties, and helped him through all of his problems. I am sure that you did everything in you could to help him, and perhaps making the decision you did was the best thing for him. He is free of pain on the RB, and hopefully having lots of fun with all the RB dogs.

R.I.P. sweet Binx, you will be loved and missed forever. <3

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

DogLover9501
02-17-2004, 04:29 PM
:( :( :( I was in shock from the title of the tread, I have also followed up on Binky boys condition, and hoped he would get threw it. Am also trying to read what I am typing threw the tears.

He is now a big healthy boy, and you will never have to feel bad about him being in pain and discomfort and he will never have to feel the pain and discomfort, you did not betray binx, you did what was best for him, and he is at the RB with all his tenis balls, thanking you for it :)

RIP Binx, you will be missed by all!

bluekat
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
omg...I'm so sorry:(:(:({{{hugs}}}

Sorry that you had to make such a tough decision. Binx has always been such a gorgeous boy, and we'll miss him alot.
But now he's at the RB watching over you, I'm sure he's happy for all that you've done for him:)

RIP Binx...have fun at RB...

jazzcat
02-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I am so sorry. Just know that Binx is now pain free and that you made that right decision.

AdoreMyDogs
02-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Johanna, I'm deeply saddned and so very sorry from the bottom of my heart. Binx was a very precious boy and you were an angel for taking him in and giving him a chance. You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, Binx would not have had made it as long as he did if it wern't for you. I believe, from every speck of me, that it was the right decision, and I hope, with time, you will too.

Binx, I was honored to have met you and I just know you are charming the heck out of everyone on RB. I'll miss you, sweet heart.

Johanna, again I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please don't punish yourself, it was the best decision and I, and every single person here on PT I'm sure, supports your decision. We all know how much you loved him and how much time/money/effort you put into his hopeful cure.

jenluckenbach
02-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I read the title and first post of this thread yesterday, and had no words. It was a total shock and a huge heartache to hear of this loss. I really looked forward to meeting Binx myself, one day. For some unkown reason I always thought of him as a very lovable soul that could convert the most avid of dog haters into a dog lover. He WAS an angel, sent to you and to us for a reason, to learn to accept diabilitity with grace and more so to accept it as normalality. He did not think of himself as different, and his true friends and loved ones didn't either.
I grieve for you because as anyone in your position, you will doubt your decision. I know I did when I was forced to make that decision with Amanda, the first cat I ever had to PTS.
My heart breaks knowing the emptiness you feel now that your house seems a little bigger and a little colder and a little quieter.

But feel good in the knowledge that Binx had a GOOD life, a GREAT life. A better life than a lot of people would have given him if they even allowed him to live this long. YOU knew him. You KNEW when the time came and I trust in your knowledge.

So grieve, yes, but also remember all the love and the fun and the joy of BINX. He wants you to remember the good times!

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

apcrs5122
02-17-2004, 07:21 PM
OMG, Johanna:( I'm so sorry, and am at a loss of words. I believe that none of us think any less of you for what you did, it's what you thought best for him. I can't even imagine the pain and possible guilt and grief you must be going through. We are all here for you:( :(

Sevens
02-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Johanna, I am so very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him. Please don't doubt your decision. RIP Binx.

Hugs,
Stephanie, Brian, Bailey, & Guinness

AvaJoy
02-17-2004, 08:43 PM
How terribly sorry I am to learn of your loss, and surely Binx will be meeting my two and enjoying all the glories of the RB.

May our prayers and time eventually ease your grief.

dsazimm
02-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. I know what you are going through. Words can not express our sorrow. It seems that many throughout this site have been touched by you and Binx.

I joined this site just to say I care. The support is overwhelming, we are here for you. Let me know how I can help.

Sue Z.

Soledad
02-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Anyone who has had to put a pet to sleep knows exactly how you feel. No matter what the circumstances, it's never an easy decision and it stays with you forever. But what you did was right, and it was merciful. You loved him enough to let him go. Don't let him down and beat up on yourself.

You're so loved, here and in RB.

rg_girlca
02-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Johanna, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Binx. As others have said, please don't feel guilty for what you did. You loved Binx enough to not let him suffer anymore. You did for him more than any other person would have done. Any animal with a deformity is mostly overlooked by people. It takes a very special person to take them in and you were that special person for Binx. He knew how much he was loved and cared for. He is probably thankful to you for the decision you had made, because now he is pain free and having loads of fun on RB with teeth and a new jaw. We definitely do not feel any less of you for doing what was best for Binx. I'm sure if we were in you shoes, we would have made the same decision. You did so much for him. Take care of yourself and take all the time you need to grieve and I hope and pray that you find comfort and peace in the fond memories you made together. Rest In Peace Binx. You will be greatly missed but not forgotten.

Fox-Gal
02-17-2004, 11:06 PM
I can only say what others have said, How sorry I am for your lose. I wish there was more I could say or do to make it easier but I know I can't.

I've been down this road myself and know how hard it is. I will pray for you and ask my B.J. to take care of Binx. I can picture them playing toghter and both feeling like puppies again, happy and healthy. Those are the throughts that got me through my lose and hopefully it will help you too, the picture of a happy healthy Binx, playing without any pain or a care in the world. Just free to be a dog.

{{{{{BIG HUGS AND LICKS FROM ALL MY GANG}}}}}}

Twisterdog
02-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I feel like I have betrayed Binx, that I was the one person that said I would love him forever, and 'fix' him. Then, I changed my mind. I hurt so bad over my decision. I can only pray that this was in his best interest, and where ever he is, he knows I love him tremendously, and wanted nothing but the best for him. Sadly, I will have this on my conscience for the rest of my life. That still won't make it right.

I'm so sorry. Sometimes we do all we can do, and it's not enough. But, sometimes it IS enough, and we just can't see it because it's not the particular "enough" we had in our mind's eye.

You did not betray him, you stood by him to the end. You will love him forever. You did fix him - somewhere he is healthy and happy tonight.

Dogs aren't like people, in the fact that we can reason, understand and make a logical informed choice, with our eye on the future. If a person has cancer, they can understand the probable sucess rate of chemo vs. surgery vs. nothing, and make a choice based on quality and quantity of life. Dogs can't. They live almost 100% in the present - the past is very short and dim, and the future is practically nonexistent. The dog lying on his back in the sun is 100% THERE - in the sun, happy, warm. He's not regretting something he did yesterday, or worrying about something that might happen tomorrow. He just ... is. What a freeing, wonderful thing that would be ... to just ... be. If a dog lives 20 years or 4 weeks ... they don't know it. They have no concept of mortality, death, fairness or fate. They just ... are. It's all good to them, whether it is short in our eyes or not.

captain
02-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Twisterdog,

That is a great thing to say ....... I never really thought of it that way ...........

Makes me want to be a dog ............. :)

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}} Johanna ..... we are thinking of you

popcornbird
02-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Dogs aren't like people, in the fact that we can reason, understand and make a logical informed choice, with our eye on the future. If a person has cancer, they can understand the probable sucess rate of chemo vs. surgery vs. nothing, and make a choice based on quality and quantity of life. Dogs can't. They live almost 100% in the present - the past is very short and dim, and the future is practically nonexistent. The dog lying on his back in the sun is 100% THERE - in the sun, happy, warm. He's not regretting something he did yesterday, or worrying about something that might happen tomorrow. He just ... is. What a freeing, wonderful thing that would be ... to just ... be. If a dog lives 20 years or 4 weeks ... they don't know it. They have no concept of mortality, death, fairness or fate. They just ... are. It's all good to them, whether it is short in our eyes or not.

Twisterdog, that is so true. I wanted to tell Johanna the same thing but couldn't figure how to put it in a way that would be comforting to her.

Johanna, don't feel guilty. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You did NOT betray Binx. Please don't think that way. What you did was in the best interest of Binx. You made the best decision you possibly could.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

luckies4me
02-17-2004, 11:47 PM
I am so terribly sorry to hear of Binx's passing. You were a wonderful mother to him, and for that he is greatful. Take care, and please if you just want to talk or anything know that I am here. :(

RIP Binx! :(

If you get a chance, please say hello to Mystic for me, and my Pooka girl. I know you will make good friends with them. :)

Crikit
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Johanna,

I'm so sorry to hear about Binx, I know I'll miss hearing about and him and seeing his sweet loveable face. Never think that you failed him, you took him in a gave him a loving home and a chance that he might not have had before.

R.I.P. Binx

4 Dog Mother
02-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Twisterdog, wow! Powerful words. Really something to think about. Helps a lot of us who have had or will have to make difficult choices put things more into perspective. Sometimes, because our pets become such real companions - people- to us we think they can think and reason the way we do. If you ever watch a dog dig a hole after he was just punished for doing so or watched a dog eat all the food that is there never worrying about would there be more for tomorrow or run away not knowing sure if they will know their way back, you know they do not worry about things the way we do. They live in the now, the moment. I am not saying we should put dogs down randomly because whatever we gave them was enough, but when a dog has some major problem and there seems to be no answer that will not mean much more pain or a fix that would enhance his life, we should not feel guilty that we had to make a choice that we did not want to make.

And as you so aptly put

They have no concept of mortality, death, fairness or fate. They just ... are. It's all good to them, whether it is short in our eyes or not. Thanks, Twisterdog!

amoore
02-18-2004, 08:59 AM
I am so sorry about Binx! My heart go's out to you.:(

pitc9
02-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Johanna,
I can't tell you enough how sorry I am. We all wish we could take your pain away.

As much as we want to take your pain away... we know that's also what you wanted to do for Binx... and you did!!!

You have filled his life and heart with so much love and joy! God Bless you!! I do not think any different of you.
You did what was right for Binx!

Binx is there now at RB... enjoying the life you've always wanted for him!

Johanna.... after each surgery... all you wanted was for him to be "fix".... and now he is!

You and Binx are in my prayers!!

GOD BLESS YOU BINX!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

BIG BAD DOG
02-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Johanna

I am not sure that I can say anything that has not been said. I am able to understand your pain and your second thoughts. If you need us call us.

Unable to put my feelings into words I made this. It is not much, but it is how I feel

https://home.comcast.net/~kendallscanines/images/friends/binx%20and%20my%20tribute1.jpg

Sudilar
02-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Oh my!! Such beautiful and heartwarming posts! Twisterdog, that was BRILLIANT! Big Bad Dog, how touching. Tears still flowing. Hugs to you, Johanna. You did all that you could.

Cataholic
02-18-2004, 10:55 AM
I read this thread nearly every hour...to stay connected to Binx, to remember, to gain strength from your posts. I can't always respond, as I can truly hardly function. Just know everyone of your posts, and you as people, matter a great deal to me. I appreciate your support, and would appreciate both Binx and I remaining in your prayers.
Sadly,
Johanna

shais_mom
02-18-2004, 11:19 AM
oohhhh Just when I thought I was done crying. I see Mike's signature. That was beautiful!
{{{Johanna and the Herd}}}

Logan
02-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Johanna, we're praying, honey, not so much for Binx now, as we know he is just fine, but for you to find some peace with your decision. Lots and lots of Pet Talk prayers coming your way. Hang in there. I hope that every single day will get easier for you.

Mike, thank you for that lovely post. You too, Twisterdog. :)

Rachel
02-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Johanna, the decison you made was made with love and much soul searching and reflection. There is not a person who has read of your accounts of all the efforts and endeavors on behalf of Binx who could think otherwise. Unfortunately as much as we would like to come up with solutions to all the problems we are faced with, reality slaps us in the face with...well, reality. The time Binx had with you was a gift, the love Binx had from you was a gift. In the end even the decision you made for him was a gift because it was the best you could do for him. That is all any of us can do for the ones we love. I personally know how hard it is to make this type of decision. Not making it doesn't seem right nor does making seem right, so in the end we just do the best we can.

fivedogdad
02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Johanna,

Diana told me about Binx last night and I was very sorry to hear the news. As I read your post this morning, this month's quote on my Airdale calendar came to mind. It is by Robert Louis Stevenson and it goes: "You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." In my mind's eye Binx is in heaven and it looks a lot like the Findlay dog park. Binx is happlily chasing the butterfly that just landed on his nose. May these joyful thoughts help console you in your time of sorrow and grief.

Fivedogdad

KYS
02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
I am sitting hear crying as I read your posts.
I am so so sorry to hear about Binx.
You both tried so hard.
You did all that you could possibly do and more.
It's so hard to let go, even when it is the right time.
HUGS and heartful thoughts.

Karen ((((0U0)))))

Uabassoon
02-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Johanna, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I just haven't known what to say. I still don't know what to say, other than I'm so sorry and you have been in my thoughts. I know that the desicion you made was very hard, but know that you did the right thing. I know that Binx is at the RB as happy as a big doggie can possibly be, just waiting to meet up with you again someday.

lizbud
02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Johanna,

I couldn't say much when I first heard about Binx's passing.
I just felt so sad for you & that sweet soul Binxy.:(

Please know that I do understand how hard that final decision
is to make & you showed true love and compassion by making
it for Binx. His time on earth was short but he had the best
Momma any dog could dream of.

Please know that you are in our thoughts & prayers. God grant
you peace & comfort in your time of sorrow. Hugs, Liz,Smokey and
Kitties. :)

captain
02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Johanna,

In my thoughts and prayers daily ... {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Big Bad Dog = Mike - that is the picture I always remember fondly, you and Binx - picking him up just to see if you can!!
Love it, and your sig too.

PCB, that is a lovely sig you made for Johanna .....

trayi52
02-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Johanna, I know your heart is hurting and breaking at the same time. It is so hard to lose a loved one. I know as everybody here does that you did do the right thing, and please take comfort in knowing that.

I have been thinking a lot about you in the last couple of days, remembering when I lost one of mine. Thinking about how empty the house felt when I came home from the vets. I was alone that day, and I just done a lot of screaming and crying. Sleep did not come easy for me, because I kept thinking there was something more I could have done. I went so far as keep all the things that my little one slept on so I could smell her. It has been 12 years since I had to let her go. I know it was for the best, as you know that it was best for Binx. My little ones name was Tito. Just hope those two meet at the RB. I always imagine that my little Tito is at rainbow being taken care of by my dad. May my dad also take care of your Binx, he was such a lover of animals.

I will keep you in my prayers Johanna, and pray that your heart mends, and that you will be able to find that beautiful smile that I have seen in the pictures. Please heal and find your smile again.

Willie

dukedogsmom
02-19-2004, 06:06 AM
I meant to tell you that I know how hard that decision is to make, also. I was 18 and my parents were out of town. I came home to my old Siamese. She was lying in the doorway to my room. Her back leg muscles weren't working anymore. That was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do. I know it's going to take a long time to even feel a little better. I hope your kitties help make the loss a little easier. We'll all be thinking about you.

Vio&Juni
02-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Everytime I go on vacation and I am out of communication, something sad happens :(

Johanna, I am so sorry for Binx, sorry that his problem could not be solved. I know you did what was best for him! RIP dear Binx.

luckies4me
02-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I really don't know what to say anymore, but I wanted to say that I am sitting here and I am so sad for you, but so happy at the same time. You had the opportunity to share your love with one of our best doggies, and he the same, one of our best Pet Talkers. You both fit so nicely together. You saved his life from those rotten people and took him in to care for him. I really admire all you did for Binxy boy. May he rest in peace, and please Johanna, if you need anything, ANYTHING, just PM me ok? :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Johanna, I'm so sorry to hear about Binx's passing.:( I know how hard it is to have to put one of your beloved furkids to sleep. RIP sweet Binx. Please take care Johanna.

pitbullmommy
02-21-2004, 08:59 AM
i am pertty new to this,but i can tell binx is very loved and will always be. please dont beat your self up over this. you really did the right thing.again i am new so im not really sure what was wrong with him but he was a big beautiful baby. my prayers are with you.

binx look for maxwell while in the RB, play nice he is just a little guy. remember: your mommy loves you very much. watch her and help her get better binx.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Johanna,

I am devestated to hear this news. I know how much your heart aches. You did all you could do for your baby Binx. He was truley loved. I haven't been able to stop crying.

Binx, you will be missed. RIP, our gentle giant!

LoudLou
02-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Johanna,

I am saddend and deeply sorry to hear that Binx has gone to the Bridge.
I know how hard it is to make such a difficult decision, but it does show just how much you loved Binx. He was loved by us all and will be missed but we all know he's probably having a great time at The Bridge.

HUGE HUGS and heartful thoughts, and lots of prayers for you at this most difficult time.

LOUD LOUIE & The Beans.... and their Mama, Katie.

NoahsMommy
02-22-2004, 09:52 PM
My heart is aching for you. I'm so sorry, Johanna. :(

I wish I could make you feel better. Here is my effort at doing so...

I believe, no, I KNOW that God hand picks our angels, human or other. I know God put you in Binx's life and he in yours. He needed your love and care before his final days on earth.

It takes a lot of love to end his suffering and pain. Working at a vet, I've seen a lot of people put animals through pain and suffering because they don't want to let them go, regardless of the poor quality of life they have to endure.

Please don't feel guilty, feel good about the amazing amount of love and concern you can hold in YOUR heart. You were amazing enough just loving and rescuing your cats. Then Binx came along and you not only rescued him from horrible people, but you gave him all the love in your heart.

I hope that one day, Binx will come to your mind and a smile will creep to your face and your heart will warm, not ache.

I'm very sorry Binx was only here a short while. We give a poem to people at work after they have to send their beloved family members to the Bridge. If you've heard it, forgive me. If not, hopefully it'll reassure you. Its a story of a family that has to send their Golden Retriever to the Bridge because its time. They want thier young son to observe so that he can fully grasp the meaning of life and death. After their beloved is gone, they sit and talk about why a dogs lifespan is so short in relation to humans. The little boy is quietly listening and sit thinking. Finally, he shares his opinion (and mine) on why our furry family members don't live on earth as long as we'd like. The boy states the following, "We are put on this earth to learn to be kind and treat everyone well. Its takes us a long time to figure that out, while dogs learn that real quickly."

I believe Binx learned that the second he took his first breath of air. With you, Johanna, he got the love he so freely gave the world.

Rest in peace, dear Binx. You will live on in the hearts of PTers and your mamma always.

Love, Kelly

slick
02-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Oh Kelly, what beautiful words. My tears are flowing again.

Binx if you are listening please know that even though we never met you have carved a very special place in my heart. You are running and playing happily at the RB while the rest of us are crying. We should be happy because we had the privilege of knowing you through Johanna.

Have you received your angel wings yet??

gini
02-24-2004, 01:11 AM
I cannot read through these posts - I can't - I just can't.

Johanna, I am sending you a letter.

But for now - let me give you the biggest hug possible and let me dry your tears.

You are still and always be - my hero - and Binx knew you were his hero too.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I have just come back online, and was so sad to hear your terrible news. You were such a wonderful Mommy to Binx, no-one could have done anything better than you, or tried harder than you did to find a cure for his problem. The final act of love was allowing him to go to the Rainbow Bridge, and remember he will be watching you from there, and having fun playing and eating with a normal set of teeth.

(((HUGS)))

oodlesofpoodles
03-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Johanna,

I haven't been on Pet Talk in a very long time. When I saw the news about Binx I could not believe it. I remember when you first got him. My heart goes out to you. I am truly sorry for your loss. There are no words to say to make the pain of losing your beloved pet easier. Just remember when you are sad think about all the funny little things that he did to make you laugh. As he will be with you always in your heart and mind. Again I am so sorry for your loss.

Cissie, (oodles of poodles and now 2 goldens)