PDA

View Full Version : new lab puppy

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi! I've posted a couple of different places in here (breeds & behaviour) with photos of our new puppy. And, if you read those posts, any advice AT ALL will be taken into consideration and greatly appreciated. Anyone here in Texas ever use Man's Best Friend training/boarding facilities before? I'm going to check them out soon. Anyway, go check out the other four photos if you'd like. They are all of him sleeping! :)

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:12 AM
And, here's a black and white photo. Again, if you wanna see others, I posted on dog breeds and dog behavior. :)

ChiRen
02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm afraid I don't have much advice but your puppy is so adorable!!

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh, hey! That's not why I'm posting at all. Just sharing. But, I just wanted to let people know I'm open for the advice, if it's there. He is cute, isn't he? His color is what made me choose him, but, his personality is what made me love him. :)

aly
02-16-2004, 11:22 AM
What a cutie!!

I've never used or heard of Man's Best Friend so I just looked them up. It did say their training was based on positive reinforcement so they are probably good. You could call them for more info on their techniques or request to watch a training class before you take your puppy to class. If you don't feel comfortable with what they do, then don't go back. Hopefully they will be good though - their website is very nice.

ChiRen
02-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh! Okay! :p
Well then I don't feel so bad. :p;)

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I went on the site for Man's best friend, and, they are advertised on a local radio station as not using negativity. I like the idea of positive reinforcement. Anyway, there's one about fifteen minutes from me, so, I'm definitely going to take the free consultation and a tour of the facility.

Desert Arabian
02-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Adorable pup! Looks like he will be more of a red fox yellow. Too cute! More pictures, please!!!! :D

tatsxxx11
02-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi Guster girl! A warm PT welcome to you and your adorable Labbie boy, Finn!:) Oh, what a cutie and I love the name! s*i*g*h* Makes me long for those puppy days...sort of!;) I have a Lab too, a yellow girl named Star! I read your post in Behavior about the crying. Heartbreaking, isn't it! But, as others have said, be strong and don't give in mid whine!:D Of course the first night I had Star (we were going out for just an hour or so) I ran back in from the car when I heard her crying in her crate! lol! You'll see, he'll get better and better with each day! I would gradually incease the time I left Star alone in her crate and before long, she was just fine on her own. I always made her crate a fun and happy place to visit. I'd leave her crate door open, put some of her favorite toys in there, leave a treat on her blanket and sometimes feed her in there. Eventually she would wander in just because she wanted to. I'd leave the door open if I were home and she'd happily fall asleep. I've never heard of the training program you speak of, but it's sounds very promising! Getting him into class asap is so beneficial for him and you!:) Looking forward to hearing lots more about the adventures of adorable Finn! Sandra

slleipnir
02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
How cute ^_^

*LabLoverKEB*
02-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Adorable puppy! What a cutie!

Are you going to be geting him/her neutered/spayed? Labs are sooo overpopulated!:(

guster girl
02-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Here are some more photos of Finn. I'm sorry I don't know how to post more than one photo.... I'm still learning! But, for now, here's a couple I took today. Hope you enjoy.

guster girl
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Here's another one!

guster girl
02-16-2004, 10:45 PM
And, another......!

guster girl
02-16-2004, 10:47 PM
And, yes, as soon as my vet will, I'm getting him neutered. I'm not about to breed anything!

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
ok, here's one i just took of Finn asleep on his new doggie bed!

lovemyshiba
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
He is just too cute for words!!!!

I can almost smell the puppy breath through the computer!!!

Is he a clumsy little pup??

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:03 PM
only on the stairs!! :)

CathyBogart
02-16-2004, 11:22 PM
He's absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

guster girl
02-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments. He is a very pretty little pup! I loved his color as soon as I met him! And, my vet flipped over him today when she met him. And, he weighs 7.7 pounds!

guster girl
02-18-2004, 03:40 AM
I have a couple more photos to share, if anyone wants to take a peek.....

guster girl
02-18-2004, 03:44 AM
Here's one of Finn outside. :)

guster girl
02-18-2004, 03:46 AM
And, one of him with my kitten, Lock. Lock is getting used to him!

anna_66
02-18-2004, 04:12 AM
Ok, let me say...Finn is about the cutest little pup!!! If you have more pictures, I'd love to see them:D

Welcome to PT. Good to have you and Finn here!

guster girl
02-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey, thanks! I will post photos as long as people want to see them. I love taking pictures and I love looking at them as well. This site is one of my favorites because of that! Thanks for the compliment about Finn. He is very cool.

guster girl
02-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Ok, sorry! I just realized I had already posted those last three photos. Oops. Brain fart. :) As soon as I get some more of him outdoors, I'll post them. I'll try to remember to post them only once, though!

Tonya
02-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Oh my gosh! He looks so cute and innocent. Looking forward to more pics! :D

guster girl
02-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks, Tonya! FOr the time being, he is innocent. ;) I'm looking forward to the challenge of that change! As soon as I can get my boyfriend to run with Finn or to hang out with him outside so I can take photos of him, I'll post them here. :)

G.P.girl
02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
AWWW he's such a sweetie! i love the one where he's onthe stairs! and i like his ppink puppy belly:D

guster girl
02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Here's another pic of Finn! He's looking at me! ;)

tatsxxx11
02-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Finn, I'm in LOVE!:) Don't you love those wrinkly faces!!:D What a sweetheart!:) Sandra

guster girl
02-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey, thanks! I know, he looks almost like a bloodhound in some photos! Two friends are going over to the apartment to take him for a walk while my boyfriend and I are working. He's got friends all over the place! :) the owner of the bar my boyfriend manages and bartends is going over there tonight to meet him for the first time. I hope Finn isn't nervous around him, he's a big guy! I think Rocky will fall in love with him, too! He has a heated pool, too, so, I think Finn will probably have his first swimming lesson there. :)

tatsxxx11
02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
DEFINITELY kiss up to Rocky, Finn!!! Heated pool!:D:eek: My Star's face was just like that as a puppy, all wrinkly and squishy and what a chunker...don't you love those chunker thighs!:) Oh, do I have puppy pangs!:D Have fun on your playdates, Finn!:) Does he sleep through the night? Do you crate him? Here's my Star as a puppy!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid13/p2efc928e74fbebb8ccaa50d678eaa337/fdd6f401.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid13/pf9d32980aab3a976198151d0fed02a0c/fdd6eda2.jpg

guster girl
02-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Star is so cute! That photo is really cool with the flower. Rocky is a really cool guy, anyway, I think he's already told my boyfriend that Finn can swim there. :) He has two older dogs himself that use it. He told my boyfriend tonight that Finn almost got blown away by the wind! It was pretty windy today, and, it's even worse now. But, he said it was funny. His ears were going everywhere. :) We do crate him at night and when we're at work. He goes in there on his own, too, if he wants to chew on a bone or something. We are night owls, and, I usually don't put him in the crate until one or later. And, he's been good so far, he does cry. But, he's already improved, and, we usually take him out at least once, usually twice during the night. But, we also don't wake up until 11. :) But, he's doing really well. I can't wait to see him in the water.

amoore
02-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Guster Girl your little Finn is abeautiful little puppy! I could grab up that sweet little pretty and give him a big hug!

Thanks for sharing such good pictures!:)

Your new baby is a pretty one!

guster girl
02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by amoore
Guster Girl your little Finn is abeautiful little puppy! I could grab up that sweet little pretty and give him a big hug!

Thanks for sharing such good pictures!:)

Your new baby is a pretty one!

Thanks for the compliments! He is very huggable! You guys can watch him grow up on pet talk! I'll post photos as long as people want to see them! Maybe I'll learn how to post them several at a time! :)

K9soul
02-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Finn is an absolute puppy angel! Labby puppies are so incredibly adorable. He's a beautiful puppy and I can't wait to see more pictures as he grows up! Be sure to take lots of them, they grow up so darn fast! :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Omg... You should have heard me when I saw Finn... I let out this little whine thing... not sure what it was... but my mom's like, "Are you okay?"

FINN IS SO CUTE!! AH!!!!

guster girl
02-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
Omg... You should have heard me when I saw Finn... I let out this little whine thing... not sure what it was... but my mom's like, "Are you okay?"

FINN IS SO CUTE!! AH!!!!

Hey, don't sweat it! I freaked when I saw him, too! There were two black lab pups, several yellow, and, then...finn. This little round red lab. His coloring first caught my eye, and, then, his little light colored eyebrows! He's so sweet!!

G.P.girl
02-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

FINN IS SO CUTE!! AH!!!!
LMAO!!!

guster girl
02-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Here's another cute one of Finn!

guster girl
02-20-2004, 11:51 AM
And, Finn's little pink belly......it looks full, I think he may have just eaten! :)

guster girl
02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
And, here's my kitten, Lock, showing Finn who's boss. And, who's allowed on the furniture. Poor Finn. ;) And, to anyone who's concerned, I never leave the two pets unsupervised.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-20-2004, 12:07 PM
*hears the THWAP as Locks paw hits Finn's nose*

We heard that noise a lot at our house!

guster girl
02-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, THWAP just about describes it perfectly. Lock actually got him pretty good last night. He grabbed him with his teeth on his forehead and they stayed in that position for a couple seconds. He didn't hurt him but Finn was certainly surprised. :) I really want Lock to let Finn know what's proper etiquette, just for the simple fact that Finn is going to be so much bigger than him very soon. Lock's a big cat, and, still growing, but, still.....I'm just glad that we got Finn as young as we did and that Lock is still just a kitten, too. :) It seems to be a good friendship so far. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

pitc9
02-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
HOW CUTE!

I just want to kiss that widdle pink belly!!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease give me a kiss on that cute cute widdle nose for me!!!!

I look forward to see more pictures!!!!

guster girl
02-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Finn says thanks for the smooch. :) He licked me right in the eye! I'm pretty excited, I just made a couple of phone calls and I am going to enroll him in an 8 week puppy head start class at petsmart! They start the puppies at 9 weeks old!! I'm so excited! The girl on the phone was so nice and informative and she was excited when I told her he was a labrador. She was like "oh, that will be so much fun!", so, I'll go tomorrow with him and sign him up for when he is old enough to go! He'll be nine weeks old on the 25th! I'll keep everyone posted and make sure my boyfriend takes photos at the classes. I'll probably be the one to do the classes, but, he can come with us and observe. And, we'll both work with him at home, too. YAY LABS!!! :)

guster girl
02-21-2004, 01:30 PM
We enrolled Finn in puppy head start at petsmart this morning! The first class is on Thursday, but, it's only to talk to the owners, the puppies don't start training until the following Thursday. I'm pretty excited, if he does well and I like the trainer, we will probably enroll him at five months in the basic education classes. Cross your fingers! :)

K9soul
02-21-2004, 01:34 PM
What fun! I bet Finn will do wonderfully in his class. Let us know how he likes it!

CamCamPup33
02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
OMG! Finn is absolutley adorable! What a cutie! :D Congrats!

tatsxxx11
02-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't know who's going to have more fun, you or Finn!:D You'll both have a blast!:) Can't wait to see the pics...and get weekly report cards!:D

guster girl
02-21-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm keeping an online journal, too. I email my personal email address with progress reports every couple of days and have a folder called "finn". So, once he starts the training, I'll definitely post his progress for you all. I think I'm going to be participating in the class with Finn, for the most part, but, I'll be out of town for the third class (Finn's second). So, Chris will be on his own with that one, but, he's going to be doing "homework" with Finn, anyway, so, he should be fine! I'm excited. I saw a lab puppy today, too, that weighed 21 pounds and is 11 or 12 weeks old. I can't wait, growth spurts rock!

Lissa
02-21-2004, 09:57 PM
I noticed that you were looking for advice...I have a puppy right now too and I wish I could go back and do somethings differently...here's what they are.
1) I would crate train earlier. I think it would have made life easier.
2) All those cute puppy things she did like play tug of war with her leash I would have stopped.
3) You got me on this one...I would have started puppy training earlier.
4) If you don't want it to be ate, make sure its high up!
4) Socialize him a lot with people, kids, other animals, this is one thing I did a lot, she went everywhere she could with me and took walks on campus, and now she loves everyone and is great with kids, yet still protective.
I learned these lessons the hard way, being that it was my first dog, I didn't know all of these little things.
That's all I can think of for now.
Oh yeah one more thing....AWWWW, he is adorable and his name fits him perfect!

This is my pup, Layla.
2 months
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/pdaca321be7dee5b6602dadd25e60702a/facc3ecc.jpg
And now, 10 months
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p882518cb418e3e2d1c87cc7c79846bda/f9de40eb.jpg

guster girl
02-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I have been crate training finn since the day we got him. I know how effective it is. I keep everything OFF the floor except for toys for the pup. I NEVER play rough with him or tug of war, either. And, I ask everyone I see to approach us with their kids, if they'll be nice, and, with their dogs, if they're good with other dogs. I ask everyone to pet him, too. And, he's going to the training class, so, he'll get even more socialized. :) I have read tons of books, done a lot of research, etc...but, I'm still learning and wanting to know more. I love the photos of your puppy!

guster girl
02-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Here's a photo of Finn and Lock (the kitten).

guster girl
02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey, does anyone know what the average weight for a lab puppy at nine weeks old is? I just think Finn may be smaller than average, not that it matters, I'm just curious. :) He's going to the vet for his second set of shots on March 10th, and, we'll see how much he's gained since his first visit on the 16th. :) He weighed 7.7 pounds at 55 days old.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Here are some more photos of Finn! :)

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:54 PM
finn being cute

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Finn with his elephant!

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Here's Finn playing with chris!

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Here's Finn and his elephant again. Ok, I'm done...til next time. ;)

amoore
02-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Very cute pictures!

guster girl
02-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Hey, thanks! I posted a few others under "new photos of Finn"... they're pretty cute, too. :)

guster girl
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Just an update for those interested parties....Finn is doing really well! He is potty-training really well, and, no longer cries in his crate when left alone. YAY! I don't have to wear ear plugs! My boyfriend and I go on Thursday for the puppy head start training at petsmart. Finn goes in next Thursday for his first class. He is two months old today! :)

wolfie
02-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. And good luck in puppy class! I'm sure he'll do great. :)

amoore
02-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Sounds like Finn catches on fast! I am glad you little sweetie is doing good!:)

guster girl
02-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Yeah, he's a quick learner! I'm excited about thursday! :) our first class...