PDA

View Full Version : Get Well Soon, Violette...

Desert Arabian
02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
:( :( Last night my poor rattie Violette ripped open her abscess on her face. :( :( We have been dealing with abscess problems on her for a couple of months, we've been to the vet a couple of times, treating her with antibiotics. Last night I noticed it was a little dirty so I took her out, and cleaned it up a little bit with some partically diluted hydrogen peroxide and water with a Q-tip. I dried it off real good and put her back in the cage. A little while later I went back in my room to check on her, and she had a bloody crator on the side of her face, she must have ripped it open washing or scratching herself. :( Poor baby. Mom called the vet this morning at work and made an appointment, not sure what time, since she is not home. I will update this thread when we get back from the vet! To help keep it some what clean I have her seperated from the other rats and I put some polysporin on it to keep out the germs and bacteria. I also shaved away the hair around it, so the hair can't arbor anything nasty that could get in the hole.

Wish her a speedy healing!!

It looks way worse in person...
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/vicrator.JPG

EssTer
02-16-2004, 11:25 AM
I´m so sory to hear about it :(

I´ll pray for Violette... get well soon, dear...

CathyBogart
02-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Poor baby, hope she's feeling better soon!

G.P.girl
02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Aw poor sweetie:( i hope she gets better soon

Aspen and Misty
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
OMG! I'm so sorry! Poor sweet baby :
:hugs::

I hope she gets well soon!

Ashley

Logan
02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
How is Violette? I am certainly hoping that she is doing better! :)

luckies4me
02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Poor girl. :(

What are the other marks on her face? Are the other rats picking on her? Her ear looks bruised as well.

Desert Arabian
02-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
What are the other marks on her face? Are the other rats picking on her? Her ear looks bruised as well.

Yes, those are battle marks. The first time we took Vi to the vet, he said the abscess was caused by one of the wounds getting infected, but the one she has now, I think there is more to it...I don't know...that's why we are going to the vet obviously. She goes to the vet @ 4:30 actually.

They haven't been picking on her for a long time, those are old marks from when I first got her.

No, that is not a bruise on her ear, it is dried blood that she got on there from the abscess, I have since washed it off.

Hopefully my baby will feel better later on tonight after we get her some help!! I know it hurts her, poor girl. :(

When I get back from the vet this evening I will let everyone know what he had to say about Violette. :)

Let me just say I LOVE this vet we are going to. The other lady we used to go I did not like at all, mainly due to the fact that she would stare at you for about five minutes and never blink, giving you a death glare- extremely creepy and hard to talk to a person like that!!! LOL. Dr. Fellenz is so nice, I have never seen a man this passionate about rats, omg, it is unbelievable. He helped me with Peanut during her last days, he was so kind hearted and comforting. I just LOVE him. We had to take Peanut (and Violette) there on an emergency basis, he spent over an hour and half with us between working with his scheduled clients, and he didn't charge us for an emergency appointment!!!! How awesome can you get!?!? I can't wait to see him so he can help me with my baby! Just had to share that with everyone cause I love him so much! :p I wish everyone could take their critters to him!!

CathyBogart
02-17-2004, 04:28 PM
It's awesome that you've found a good rattie vet! I'm eager to hear how she does. *Keeping fingers crossed for her*

Desert Arabian
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, the vet only charged me $29.74! WOW! Total shocker, thought I would be spending *way* more than that. *Chants I love Dr. Fellenz*

He said to keep her seperated from the others, keep giving her the Sulfatrim medication, clean it with hydrogen peroxide and putting neosporin on it for 10 days, and if it doesn't clear up I should come back. All it is is a ruptured abscess.

On Thursday I need to take Oscar to the vet, he is not doing so well either. I would take him tomorrow, but my mom and I are going to a techincal college to take a career test and we can't cancell, and the vet has no open appointments tomorrow either. Oscar lost some weight and has fairly shallow breathing, the vet susupects it is pnemounia (sp!!) or some infection. :( Stop getting sick ratties! :(

Glad my Violette is on the road to recovery! Now I have to worry and focus on Oscar. :(

amoore
02-17-2004, 08:25 PM
I hope she has a fast recovery! She is a cutie!

I hope Oscar gets to go to the vet and gets to feeling better too.

Karen
02-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Poor dear Violette, you be a good rattie when momma's puting on the medicine, okay? You tell Dr. Fellentz that we love him, too, for taking good care of your ratties and you!

Desert Arabian
02-27-2004, 10:51 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that my little Violette is 100% better, all the abscess are completely gone- you can't even tell there was anything wrong with her. Thank you Dr. Fellenz-Miracle Man!

Oscar also went to the vet and he is on meds too because he is having respitory issues, he is slowly getting better, hopefully he will fully recover like Violette too! *knocks on wood*

I will post a picture tomorrow of her face now for comparison! :D