PDA

View Full Version : Ding Dong...Only It Wasn't Avon Calling!

K & L
02-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Tonight we went out and celebrated my daughter's birthday. We had just gotten home from feeding the park cats and were taking care of all ours, when the doorbell rings. Kevin was in the garage so I went to the door (thinking my daughter forgot something) and looked out the peephole, but saw no one! I wasn't about to just answer and kept watching, but never saw anything. Kevin came through heading out the front door to dump the trash, and what was at our doorstep??? Yep, a cat! So someone dumped their pet cat at our doorstep!:mad: She appears to be about 6 months old. We will get her fixed and try and find a home. Man, what is wrong with people? We will take her picture and post it soon.

catnapper
02-15-2004, 09:47 PM
At least they knew which house to drop it off at! Does she look well cared for? Poor little thing must be so scared.

K & L
02-15-2004, 09:50 PM
She doesn't seem to be too scared, was pretty hungry and thirsty but didn't seem thin or unkept. It's all pretty aggravating, for one they just dump her, second what makes them think we have the money or means for another cat? Some people really burn me up!

CatDad
02-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Some people just do not think.:mad: I keep hoping, but I don't think that will happen.

I hope that you will be able to find the little one a new home soon. Bless you for being such good people.

Looking forward to pictures.

K & L
02-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Here she is...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p1c3a14805eb9a6b6fa5660387c3df696/f99c285e.jpg

rg_girlca
02-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Poor little thing. At least she is in good hands now. But they could have at least stayed at the door and asked if you could take her, not just ring and run. I guess in the long run, it was better than dumping her along the roadside or in the woods somewhere to fend for herself. AAARRRGGG some people.:mad:

Miss Meow
02-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Those people won't bother caring for the simple needs of a cat, but have the time and energy to find you, pack up the cat, dump it and ring your doorbell. They make me sick.

Maybe you can call her Avon? :) Bless you for taking her in :)

kimlovescats
02-15-2004, 10:52 PM
People really have some nerve!!!!:mad:

She is very pretty, I think Avon would be a wonderful name too!;)

cubby31682
02-15-2004, 11:03 PM
What a beautiful cat. At least she is in good hands now. I hope she will find her loving and forever home soon. I also must agree that Avon would be honored to have such a BEAUTIFUL cat with their name!:D
Katie

shais_mom
02-15-2004, 11:47 PM
grrrrrrr
Sometimes I hate people.

trayi52
02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
She is a pretty cat. Avon would be a good name for her! She will be able to find a forever home with you in charge. I assume whoever left her at your door knew you would take care of her.

Willie

jenluckenbach
02-16-2004, 06:16 AM
GASP** She looks JUST like Bonnie!!! :D

Best of luck in placing her! :)

Barbara
02-16-2004, 07:16 AM
If she was hungry and thirsty maybe the people who dropped her were not her original owners.

She is a pretty girl and I hope she finds a furrever home soon

:)

catcrazylady
02-16-2004, 07:50 AM
How wonderful that you let her into your home. I know...what choice did you have!! You can't turn them away. That is exactly what the doorbell ringer was counting on!!
I don't mean to sound unsypathetic but I'm glad they didn't just dump her somewhere or list her on ebay! She is beautiful and I will be praying that you have good luck in finding her a good home.

Dumb people will never go away and they will never cease to amaze me at how much dumber they can get!!!!:mad: :mad: http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/mad.gif

K & L
02-16-2004, 08:04 AM
They knew the suckers didn't they! She is the SWEETEST little thing. We're going to try and get her in the vet today to see if she needs to be spayed, have her tested, and shots. That's the worst thing, we don't even know what kind of medical treatment, if any, she's had. Has she been spayed? Any shots? It's maddening. Then to think we now have to pay for all of this. It sure wasn't in our budget plan. Like Barbara said maybe it wasn't the real owners, BUT...they could've at least asked us if we wanted or could afford to take in another cat!!:mad:

catnapper
02-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
GASP** She looks JUST like Bonnie!!! :D

Best of luck in placing her! :)

I was thinking the exact same thing!!! I do hope that she was already spayed... wouldn't it be great if the vet recognized her and knew her history? She does look like she was taken care of.

catmandu
02-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Well , at least I suppose , they brought her to a plave where they hope that the Poor Little One will get a good home , as opposed to just dumping her , in the wilderness. People today , just do not take any responsibility! Bless you for caring , Catmandu and thge Found Cats!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I don't mean to sound unsypathetic but I'm glad they didn't just dump her somewhere or list her on ebay! She is beautiful and I will be praying that you have good luck in finding her a good home.

I have to agree, even though you weren't counting on taking in another - or the expense of another. But she is in good hands now.

And I thought of Bonnie immediately when I saw her. The good news is she's not pregnant - or if she is it's early enough....

Good luck with placing her. :)

K & L
02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Avon has her vet appointment set for tomorrow at 4:15. At this point we have her secluded from the others until tests results are back. She was so cute this morning. She was stretching and meowing at us. We sat and gave her some special attention. It’s funny because she seems to only like the dry food. We made her a special little bed with her own food and water. I will let everyone know how the vet appointment turned out!

Felicia's Mom
02-16-2004, 12:23 PM
I'll be looking foreward to seeing how she did at the vets.

At least they thought enough of her not to just dump her someplace.

CatDad
02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
I like the name Avon, it is cute.:) Thanks for her picture.

You may want to ask the vet if she is chipped. You never know, some poeple are really stupid.

Looking forward to the update.

catnapper
02-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm glad you're naming her Avon... its really cute! Pleaselet us know whats happening with her!

kimlovescats
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Waiting to hear the report on Avon!!! :)

K & L
02-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Avon is NOT happy! We have her in a large dog kennel until the vet gives the OK after testing. She does not like it! I'll let you know this afternoon how it all went.

Corinna
02-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I know all about that doorbell drop off. A few years ago when we lived in ,Washington state ,In one week my Angora rabbit heard went up by 6 . I ended up with 25 just before we move here to Montana. Hubby said only 2 could come,so the newset litter of 2 does came. My spinning buddy and best female friend took the others. Amazing how it was about a month after Easter!! When it was time to really have to groom them!

sirrahved
02-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Are you keeping Avon? You sound pretty attached! :)

At least they didn't tie her up in a pillow case to die...

K & L
02-17-2004, 06:16 PM
:D YIPPEE:D Avon tested negative! They kept her over-night and will spay her either tomorrow or Thursday. There is a possibility she may be pregnant, but in the very early stages. Unfortunately they will be aborted if that's the case. :(

We will try and find her a good in-door only home. We will foster her until we do. Of course you know what it means if we don't find one! We'll be up to 18!!:eek: We will not desert her.

I will let you all know more when I know! Thanks for listening.

jazzcat
02-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Great news. I'm glad she got a good bill of health. I really hope she isn't pregnant but having her spayed is the best. That's what happened with my Scout when she was rescued. I don't think they knew for certain that she was pregnant until they actually spayed her. She's so small I'm sure it would have been a difficult pregnancy for her anyway.

Now for the perfect home...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah! That's wonderful news! I think it's best to spay her also, otherwise you might be up in the 20's before it's all over and done with. ;) :D Just kidding of course. ;) :p

I'm so glad she's healthy and I'm sure you'll find a good home for her. I don't know if a single person can post a pet on petfinder, but maybe there is a rescue organization that will post her picture for you. When I got Eddie there were a few that put his picture up for me even though they had never seen him and really knew nothing about him. They said they would refer any requests for information to me and I could handle the adoption. So maybe there is someone in your area that will do the same.

Good luck and let us know how she's doing after her sir jury. :)

kimlovescats
02-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Oh what wonderful news!!! Sounds like someone knew she might be pregnant and didn't want the responsiblity!!! :rolleyes:
Thank you for helping her out, Lisa!!!! :D

leslie flenner
02-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Well, this is partly why we end up with so many.. People approach me often at work and in the neighborhood saying, "We figure you'll help..." Meaning take our cat, our stray that we've been feeding, our colony that we can't stand anymore because it's breaking us financially and they keep breeding..." But noone (rarely someone will offer a little money) wants to sponsor them!
Just last week, my neighbor asked me to get her a discount on a nueter for a stray that she's keeping but she can't take the trip so would I do all the transportation during my work day (way out the way!). Well, you are a gem for taking on this gal and hopefully can find her a home! We do what we have to do! You may want to post a lost ad in the newspaper just to make the owners feel a bit guilty- could say "will have to release to shelter" in a vague way saying they should think twice, but then again, no, best left alone...better they drop off at your house than a bunch of other places (like in the woods like they do here)! Keep us posted and good luck and thank you!

amoore
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I heard a story about a cat dumped at a friends house one time. She checked out healthy.had even been spayed. The bad thing my friend learned is that she had been picked up by some kids out drinking. And when the kids had rode from one town to the next they dumped the kitty at a house close to the next town they came too.

All the while the owners where going crazy looking for her. She had ran out of the house by accident while the door had been left open to bring in some shopping items. Some kids next door were haveing a party that evening. "Kids at that party picked up the kitty because it was so pretty!"

By some kind of miracle the people that had taken the cat in happen to see a poster where the owners where really desperate trying to find their cat in another town. The picture resembled the cat that was dumped at their door. It had been gone for two weeks.

She called them and had them take a look and see if it was theirs. They were so happy! it was leah their little kitty they had been looking for! The rest of the story is happy for the family that got their beloved cat back.

K & L, I am really glad that they at least found a good caring person like you to leave that beautiful kitty! Not the same kitty but I just thought I would share the story told to me by my friend.

K & L
02-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Avon's been spayed and was not pregnant!:) She got all her shots, tested for fleas and will be tested for parasites. They kept her over-night and we'll be picking her up tomorrow.

Now the hunt is on for a good indoor home!

jazzcat
02-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm so glad she was not pregnant.

Best of luck finding a home. I have faith you will complete your mission!

In the meantime more pics would be good.:D

amoore
02-18-2004, 09:47 PM
K & L, I am glad that there is good people like you around, Avon came to the right home. Glad she is not prego.

Thanks for the update.

catcrazylady
02-19-2004, 09:10 AM
All this is such good news!!! I'm so happy for Avon and for you too. Less expense since she is already spayed. I know the search for a good home will be hard but we will keep praying that Avon finds the wonderful home she deserves.
I still think your great for taking care of her!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

K & L
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
All this is such good news!!! I'm so happy for Avon and for you too. Less expense since she is already spayed. I know the search for a good home will be hard but we will keep praying that Avon finds the wonderful home she deserves.
I still think your great for taking care of her!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

She wasn't already spayed, just wasn't pregnant!! :) They thought she might be in the early stages of pregnancy, but thank goodness she wasn't. She's had all her vaccinations, didn't have fleas, and they're waiting to get a stool sample for parasites. We should be able to pick her up sometime today. Pray we find a GOOD home. We sure don't need another permanent fixture!:D

Lallypop11
02-19-2004, 01:09 PM
She looks just like my Bubby! :eek:

What a horrible thing to do, drop a cat and run. Like it's THAT hard to take care of a cat! Have a heart. The ONE thing I can say for them is that at least they didn't just let her out into the woods to fend for herself. I'm glad she found you, even though I'm sure it's a bit of a burden, at least you know what to do. Thankyou from all of us for taking care of that sweet little angel, we would all do the same thing. :D :)

kimlovescats
02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
GREAT NEWs, Lisa. NO FLEAS? Sounds more and more like this kitty had been an indoor pet, and just got DUMPED!!!:mad:

Thanks for caring for her, and good luck finding a super home for this precious baby!:)

K & L
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
GREAT NEWs, Lisa. NO FLEAS? Sounds more and more like this kitty had been an indoor pet, and just got DUMPED!!!:mad:

Thanks for caring for her, and good luck finding a super home for this precious baby!:)

My thoughts exactly, Kim!:mad: This whole thing just aggravates me to death. On the brighter side, she's gotten the ROYAL treatment at the vets. :) Kevin will pick her up on his way home. Now we have to figure out where we will keep her until she heals. I would hate the other cats to attack her while she's down!:eek:

I feel like I'm getting in the stages of "burn-out". Sometimes us cat rescuers can go through this. I need a break, but could never take one.