PDA

View Full Version : Little Miss Social Butterfly

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-15-2004, 07:40 PM
We had a few friends over for dinner last night - a total of 7 of us, with only one other female present besides me. Normally Peanut hates the doorbell and will run and hide anytime it rings. She is also very wary of men she doesn't know, only coming out when she feels extremely comfortable.

Our first guest has been here before many times, knows not to ring the doorbell and has two cats of his own, so she didn't even budge when he came in (she was sleeping on the back of the couch) - so far so good.

Our next guest is a friend of Terry's that I've only met one other time myself. He did ring the doorbell, but evidently Peanut was too deep into relaxing that she didn't bother to run. She did sit up and pay attention, though, when she heard a strange male voice. Turns out he's a cat lover himself, so he goes over to her talking softly and she actually let him pet her - within two minutes of walking in the door! :eek: This was the first surprise of the evening.

The last 3 guests came as a group, a friend, his new girlfriend and his 15 year old son. By this time Peanut was upstairs with all of us, being sociable :eek: and they rang the doorbell. She did run and hide this time, but only as far as behind the chair in the living room, and she had peeked out from behind the chair by the time I got the coats hung up.

We all go upstairs to socialize a little before dinner, and who comes sashaying (sp?) by? Yep, our new Little Miss Social Butterfly! She has never been this sociable with this many people in attendance and Terry and I were flabbergasted.

So we all sit down to dinner, and who makes the rounds, begging from each person in turn as she makes her way around the table? Yep, you got it, out new LMSB. :D She was out and about all evening, and if she felt threatened for whatever reason, she quickly ran to her little house for safety, but only stayed for a short time before coming out again. She was just so sociable that we couldn't believe it! :eek: :cool: :D

Turns out that 6 of the 7 of us have cats and can safely be called cat lovers, so evidently she could sense that and knew she was in no danger. Might have taken 15 1/2 years, but I think my little scaredy cat is coming out of her shell. :D

Oh, and in case you're wondering about Tubby, he has always been a social butterfly and needs to be the center of attention, even though he complains when anyone touches him, so he was out and about and all over everybody right from the start. :D

catnapper
02-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Only 15 1/2 years to become sociable? I think its time for her "coming out" party - isn't that around a girl's 16th brithday?

Maybe she was looking at all those men for a Valentine?

CatDad
02-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Peanut just wanted to be REALLY sure that it was OK.:D After all a girl can't be too careful. Plus what a better crowd then a room full of kitty people.

Happy to hear that she seems to be comming out of her shell.:D

kimlovescats
02-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey, Catnapper that's right.... Sweet Sixteen, Coming out party!! tee hee....

Debbie, I'm so glad that MSB was such a gracious hostess!!!!
Gotta love a house full of cat loving guests too!!!! :D

rg_girlca
02-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Aww Peanut, you knew you were in good hands with all those cat lovers. Maybe mommy will have a sweet 16 coming out party for you.;)

shais_mom
02-15-2004, 10:42 PM
yeaaaaa for sweet Peanut!

Killearn Kitties
02-16-2004, 03:56 AM
Aww, that is so sweet. Clever Peanut. :D

Samantha and Daisy are only 8½ and both terrified of the doorbell, but obviously there's hope for them yet!

Barbara
02-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Filou and Tigris too started to be more outcoming with the years.

I remember a party some years ago with about 20 guests. At 3 a.m. Tigris came over, sat down in a chair looking around like a happy host among all his guests:D

Hooray for Peanut:)

catcrazylady
02-16-2004, 07:37 AM
That is wonderful!! Ms. Peanut you have given me hope!! I only have 14 1/2 years to go before mine decide not to hide!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Peanut knew she was in the wonderful company of cat lovers!! I bet they were jealous of her adorable little house too!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Gotta love a house full of cat loving guests too!!!! :D

You're right! I didn't expect it, but turns out cats were the main topic of conversation all night. Couldn't think of a more delightful way to spend an evening than talking about my cats. :D

Thanks everybody. I never thought about it, but I think a sweet 16 party will be quite appropriate. I've got some time yet to come up with a plan......

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Our little Peanut ....a debutante! Oh.... I can see it now....long white dress, gloves of course, flowers in her ears.......twirling and whirling around the dance floor!

Oh...it will be so beautiful!

catmandu
02-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Of all the Cats that reside at The Found Cats Hotel , only JJJ3 , Moose and mabe Sam come out to meet people , although Helen, Gale and of course Joan get more attention , as they cared for my Cats , when I was in the Hospital!

Prairie Purrs
02-17-2004, 12:24 PM
My RB tabby Keke was notoriously shy, but occasionally she would fall in love with a total stranger (I had to pry her off the cable guy on one such occasion).

I once invited a law school class I was teaching (about a dozen students) to my apartment for the final class of the year. I expected Keke to spend the entire time under the bed. But no--not only did she come out to socialize, she made a beeline for the only person in the group who was allergic to cats. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
02-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Couldn't think of a more delightful way to spend an evening than talking about my cats. :D

let's see......

6 new PT members????

:D

ramanth
02-18-2004, 12:13 PM
That's so wonderful! :D Peanut, you charmer. :D