PDA

View Full Version : The LaPerm

ChrisH
02-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Just curious. Anyone seen this new breed of cat, or know anyone who has one?

http://w3.gorge.net/kloshe/

jenluckenbach
02-15-2004, 07:27 AM
NOPE. But I have one question for anyone who knows..........Do they mat up? Curly coated dogs tend to knot easier that straight coated dogs, is it the same with this cat?

catnapper
02-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I checked out the site... that was one scary looking kitten! The cats were pretty once they reached maturity, but man-oh-man was that one ugly kitten!

One thing that disturbed me was when they admitted that the original cat kept breeding until she realized something special was happening.

moosmom
02-15-2004, 11:36 AM
LaPerms are short WAVY haired cats. They are beautiful. I've seen them at cat shows. They are comparable to the Devon Rex, which is an oriental cat with short WAVY fur.

Catnapper,

I was also a little disturbed about "something special happening". That's why I don't like breeders.

amoore
02-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I have never seen one before! I think that is a beautiful cat!

ChrisH
02-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Before I begin I have to admit I know nothing on the subject of cat breeding, and I also must say I do not have anything against established, responsible, and good breeding of any creature. Even so there is something about the continued breeding of this new breed, here in the UK anyway, that bothers me.
From what I have read the first LaPerm cat, appropriately named Curly, was born to a barn cat in 1982. Curly went on to give birth to 5 male curly cats and they in turn went on to mate with the queens of the barn cat colony. So was the beginning of the breed LaPerm.
Though it was not until around 1992, ten years later, that the owner of these cats brought them to the notice of experienced cat breeders/fanciers, so, as there doesn’t seem to be any neutering/spaying done, by then there must have been quite a lot of LaPerm cats?
Now I sort of understand the principle of out-breeding, to strenthen being one I believe(?), and in the USA this is Cat Fanciers Association, Inc. criteria.

LaPerm allowable outcross breeds: Domestic longhair and domestic shorthair. Kittens born on or after January 2010 may have only LaPerm parents.

This sound fine to me, just one breed used.

But now to the UK.

This is from the LaPerm UK website (www.laperm.co.uk)

LaPerm cats are new to the UK, the first LaPerm, Uluru BC Omaste Po, was imported by Anthony in 2002. Omaste, a lilac tortie and white LH was mated to Woodlandacre BC Windfire of Crearwy before she came to the UK and her kittens were the first LaPerms to be born in this country. Omaste’s litter of four curly and one straight haired kittens was born in June 2002 and a small group of breeders are now working together to develop and establish the LaPerm cat in the UK.

Outcross permited breeds
A wide range of breeds has been permitted for outcrossing during this early development of LaPerms in the UK in order to establish a healthy gene pool. It is anticipated that the number of permitted outcross breeds will be reduced as the La Perms progress.

We welcome interested breeders of the following breeds approved for outcrossing by the GCCF who would like to work with us in developing the LaPerm
Somali, Abyssinian, Ocicat, Asian Shorthair, Tiffanie, Burmese (European Burmese in the case of imported cats) Tonkinese, Oriental SH, Oriental LH (Angora), Siamese and Balinese plus variants of these breeds.
All other breeds are listed as non-approved
NB
Old fashioned type is recommended for Siamese, Balinese, Oriental SH and Oriental LH (Angora) cats used for outcrossing and cats of extreme type should be avoided
Domestic longhairs and shorthairs were used in the development of the breed in the USA and may appear in the background of the pedigrees of imported cats.
Won't this make a the UK breed markedly differerent from the US one? Or am I asking a really stupid question?
:)

BastetsMum
02-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Australian Le Permes will be the same as the UK ones. I think the breed will be different from the US ones. They are beautiful cats. The Le Perme I know here is a medium haired male cat and he is extremely affectionate and has a lovely disposition. The kids he live with can pick him up and hug him without him scratching them. The woman that owns him got her from a breeder. They don't matt or shed as much as normal cats. In Australia they are said to be good for cat lovers who are allergic to cats.

catmandu
02-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Actaully , I think that was rather rude to call a kitten ugly , as he is one of Gods Creations , and has no control over his genes. Myself I think all that Kittens are Beautiful , Gods gifts to us all!

kewpiecat
04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Hello,
I've just joined this group and am a breeder of La Perm cats.
Any questions about the breed will be happily answered.

They are very special "in your face" cats that demand lots of loving....they do not need lots of grooming! Yes...they can be very ugly kittens for a short while as their coats molt into lovely curls and waves.
Actually this stage becomes one of the most endearing once you fall for the breed!

[COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=darkblue][FONT=arial];) ;)

RedHedd
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Welcome to PT! We'd love to see pics of your cats. That was my suspicion too, that as they go through their so-called "ugly" stage it really is an endearing part of their growing up. I've never met an ugly kitten; I don't think there is such a thing as an ugly kitten - they're all God's little critters!

carole
04-28-2004, 07:39 PM
I have seen the La Perm in NZ at the cat shows, they are very pretty cats, and I heard good for allergy sufferer's, infact they are one of my fav breeds.:)