PDA

View Full Version : Seed catalogs?

K9soul
02-13-2004, 04:03 PM
I was wondering if any fellow gardeners out there have any preferences or recommendations as far as seed catalogs? We have gotten a ton of them and it's rather overwhelming! I remember my mom ordering from Burpees and Johnny's. They seem to have pretty nice selections from what I've seen.

Anyone have a particular one or two that they really like or recommend?

tatsxxx11
02-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Got your PM, K9S, and I'm compiling my list!:D And have I got a list for you, too! I have a lot of great ones, if you like heirloom varieties of veggies and herbs, as well as flowers! And I have some great sources if you do any indoor gardening/like tropicals/orchids! I'll be back with the list. But I do like Burpee's a lot! They are very reliable and have a great selection, including some heirlooms! It's great fun getting all the catalogs just when the winter seems that it will never end. But once you order from one, you get them ALL!:D It can be overwhelming! I'll be back!:)

Logan
02-13-2004, 04:14 PM
I was going to suggest Burpee, like Sandra. But I also enjoy Park Seed (they are located here in SC). You can find them and order a catalog at www.parkseed.com . I love gardening catalogs, but you would never know I like to garden by the looks of my yard!!! :o

K9soul
02-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for suggestions so far! Sandra I'll look forward to that :D Hubby and I are still pretty new at all of this and there is just SO much out there :eek:

tatsxxx11
02-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Here are some of my all time favorites! They have a lot of specialty and heirloom seeds/seedlings and plants!

"Seeds of Change" All certified organic seeds! Veggies/flowers
www. seedsofchange.com

"Select Seeds" Antique Flowers
www.selectseeds.com

"Shepherd's Garden Seeds" Veggies/flowers
www. shepherdseeds.com

"The Cook's Garden" A great catalog for the family veg. garden!
www.cooksgarden.com

"The Sandy Mush Herb Nursery" Fabulous catalog for any and every herb/cultivar you can think of! You have to order by mail or call her for a catalog! She's a lovely lady that will give you all sorts of advice, suggestions! And seedlings all arrive in perfect condition, so healthy and vigorous!

316 Surrett Cove Rd
Leicester, NC
28748-5517
Tele. # 828-683-2014 She takes calls Thurs, Fri. and Sat. only, 9-5pm.

Hope this helps!:)

K9soul
02-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much Sandra! I printed off the post so I wouldn't lose it :D

joycenalex
02-14-2004, 07:07 PM
oh gosh, one of my favorite things on a dreary february weekend, gathering all the catalogs, a cup of tea, a cat or dog on my lap and dreaming about the perfect garden! this year, the shade garden! astilbies and ferns and sweet woodruff.

Corinna
02-14-2004, 09:40 PM
www.veseys .com They are a short season seed company mose are mature in 55 days. We have such a short season, unlike Washington state one of the few things I miss.

K9soul
02-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Short season wouldn't be bad for Minnesota either. Sometimes we get late frosts in the spring and early frosts in the fall. Thanks again for all the suggestions here!

boscibo
02-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I have to make a plug for Park Seed also. I had a whole order of seeds get left out in the cold by the UPS man (he delivered to the wrong door). I called Park and they sent me a whole new replacement order, free, even though it wasn't their fault. I had two orders of seeds, and even some of those that were left out in the cold geminated. I was very impressed that a company would do this.