PDA

View Full Version : How Much is That Doggy in the Window Well?

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
This morning Edwina and I were enjoying a last cuddle before I had to get up. I heard a dog but that is not unusual. All my neighbors have dogs. Eddie came in all agitated. It sounded like the dog was crying.

So I got up and looked out every window. I didn’t see a dog. I did see a woman walking by the house and looking intently at my house. Then she went by with a young man --- looking anxiously at my house.

So I put on a coat and boots (it is cold and we still have a lot of snow on the ground.) It sounded as if the cry was from the front yard. I went out the front door and there – in the window well, was a big dog. Looked like a boxer/pit mix. Didn’t bark, just looked at me. The window well is very deep and he couldn’t get out.

I did not want to call animal control – worried what they would do with a boxer/pit. So I got dressed, opened my front door to find two police officers, the woman, and her son in his pajamas. I said I was going to put a board down in the well for the dog to get out (this worked once with a possum.) The son is concerned because the dog has lost his collar and might run if he gets out. I thought of offering Edwina’s leash but….. so the one cop says she thinks they have a rope in the squad car, the woman runs to her home to look for a collar, and I am asked to look for something - boxlike we can put down there for the dog to climb on and get out.

The son managed to get Bruno out -- collared and leash and they left.

Meanwhile, Edwina and Eddie STILL haven’t settled down. Such excitement!

ramanth
02-13-2004, 10:28 AM
First... what's a window well? :confused:

What an experience! I'm glad you were able to get him out. Was the woman and the son the owner? Or just some good samaritans that said they'd take the dog?

:)

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2004, 10:40 AM
A window well is the opening for basement windows. Yes, it was their dog. They were so relieved to find him.

lizbud
02-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Wow, what excitement so early in the morning.:D I'm very
glad that you & Ms Edwina were there to lend moral support
and help that poor pooch. Hope he wasn't hurt by falling into
the window well.:(

You two are heros.:D Where was Eddie during all this
commotion? Sleeping? :)

Randi
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
What exitement - and sweet Eddie was concerned about the poor dog. :) I'm glad to hear you got him out, hopefully he wasn't hurt! A happy family reunited. :)

dappledoxie
02-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Wow, what a wild thing to have happen, I am glad the doggie got rescued! Wonderful ending!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Oh my, such excitement so early in the morning! So, do you think Eddie was sitting in the window and that's why the dog ended up in the window well? Is Edwina taking out all her excitement on Eddie? So many questions. ;) :D

I'm glad you got him out, and I'm glad it was their dog and they were actually concerned about it. I find it interesting that they would call the cops instead of just knocking on your door, but even more interesting is the fact that the Chicago Police showed up without hours and hours of waiting! Must have been a slow morning for them. :D :p

A few years back we had a baby bunny trapped in one of our window wells. Our house faces south with the blaring hot sun in the summer, so anything that ends up in the window wells doesn't last very long. Fortunately we saw the bunny in plenty of time to get him out ok - and I don't even remember what made us look in there in the first place. But ever since then Terry was on a mission to get those things that cover the window wells. He would have been totally devastated had the bunny not made it and we would have found a dead bunny. So now the window wells are covered - whew! We have an adult bunny now that comes around and Terry likes to think that it's the one he saved. We have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but he likes to think it is. :D

amoore
02-13-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm glad you saved the little dog. Wow! You had an exciting day already!:eek:

K9soul
02-13-2004, 01:56 PM
What a story! We also have window wells in the front of the house. Once a young robin trying to learn to fly got stuck in one for awhile. I didn't want to interfere unless he just couldn't get out, but after awhile he did manage to get himself out.

Poor pup! He must have been so puzzled!

ramanth
02-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
A window well is the opening for basement windows. Yes, it was their dog. They were so relieved to find him.
Oh yes!! The lightbulb just clicked on. :rolleyes: ;) :D I never knew that's what they were called. :)

Cinder & Smoke
02-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Oh yes!! The lightbulb just clicked on. :rolleyes:
;) :D
I never knew that's what they were called. :)

Window Well >>

http://www.coverwell.com/images/11.jpg

More Window Well pix >>
more pix (http://www.coverwell.com/photos.html)

Some of them can be VERY :eek: *deep*!!

Their "purpose in life" is to allow Sun Light to get into below
ground-level windows.

;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow Phred, I never knew there were so many different shapes and sizes to window wells!! :eek: :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Our house is old and the window wells are concrete and very deep probably 4.5 to five feet deep. I have NO idea how the dog got in there (no footprints in the snow) or why. They do seem popular with the neighborhood denizen though. Some may recall two years ago when a stray cat had her kittens in one of the wells and a possum got into another one of them. The windows on that side of the house are covered so it wasn't Eddie who attracted him.

It's a mystery!

amoore
02-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Who can figure dogs and cats? They can get into the weirdest places! I know mine does. I love them anyway.:)

tatsxxx11
02-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Oh Sara! You and Edwina are my heros!:) What a fright for you and the poor pup! How happy his family must be to have him home safe and sound! Recently, the Retriever rescue group I work with got an APB about a missing, blind and deaf senior Golden:( He was gone for several days before he was found in, yes, a window well, unable to get out! We had almost lost hope for this sweetie. Like your scenario, this one had a happy ending!:)

catnapper
02-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow! Did they tell you how long their dog was missing? Poor big guy! Nicki would be looking for the dog for the next few days!

CatDad
02-13-2004, 08:45 PM
So happy to hear that all came to a happy ending and the puppy was reunited with his family.

Good Job!!!:D

Miss Meow
02-13-2004, 10:29 PM
You spoiled Eddie's Valentine's present from Lady Edwina! ;)