PDA

View Full Version : A Valentine to dogs from Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

Albea
02-12-2004, 01:46 PM
This is in the Web site of the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary: www.bestfriends.org

"It’s been more than 100,000
years now, and we’re still going
strong together.

Remember how we first met?
You were in the cave. I was
looking in from a safe distance.
It looked warm and inviting.

At first we were wary of each
other. But I knew I could help
protect the cave and help you
on the hunt. In return you could
share some of your food with
me.

That was just the start. As your
world grew and developed, I
kept pace with you. When you
began herding animals rather
than hunting them, I quickly
turned into the guardian and
protector of your flocks. When
you discovered there was more
to life than just survival, I
became your friend, confidant
and little child.

If you wanted someone to care for, I was delighted to oblige. If I was a bit too big, and not quite fluffy
enough for your new tastes, I could even change shape. Between us, we managed to turn me from a wolf into a Doberman, a Spaniel, or even a Chihuahua.

I’ve been with you everywhere you’ve gone. I’m at your side on the sofa and in the show ring, on your battlefields and in your nursing homes. Some people have used me for some pretty bad things, but I still never quit on you. I’ve taken you to the ends of the earth, and even when you wanted to go into outer space, you sent me up first to check it out.

I’m your eyes when you can’t see, and your ears when you can’t hear. I’m brave when you’re afraid, but I can be scared and lonely and vulnerable too.
I’m loyal and devoted, yet infinitely adaptable.

Now there’s a new door opening for us. It’s a different kind of journey this time. Not to the
South Pole or the moon, or to test out new drugs or learn a new skill. Your next development is much bigger than any of that.

You know this world can’t go on the way it is,
with all the greed and grabbing and fighting and all that. But between you and your friends, and me and all mine, we can make a better world - a kinder one for all of us.

Take me with you, and I can help open the doors for you. This time the journey is a whole new way of life. It will take cooperation and harmony, and
you’ll need to make peace - with each other and with all of us, too.

You’ll find that as you care for all us little innocent ones, we’ll be able to give you back your own innocence. Make us your children, and we’ll give you back your own childhood. Whatever you do for us you’ll get back.

So if you’ve got the will, between us we’ll find the way. There’s not far to go now.

We’ve come a long way together, and we’re nearly there."

PJ's Mom
02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Awww...how sweet.

*sniff*

lovemyshiba
02-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing!

K9soul
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh, I'm definitely teary-eyed after reading that.. oh how beautiful that was. Thank you so much for posting that.

Albea
02-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Bump.

tatsxxx11
02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Alicia, you always post the most touching threads!:) That's simply beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us:) And make sure you give Carina a big Valentine's Day hug and kiss from me and the girls!:)

lizbud
02-13-2004, 05:40 PM
What a beautiful thought is contained in this Valentine letter.:)

Thanks for posting this. :)