PDA

View Full Version : No animal testing

aki
02-12-2004, 10:55 AM
We only try to purchase foods that are not tested on animals. IAMS is in some really hot water right now for abusing their test animals. Most people think that test animals for pet food companies just see if the animal likes to eat their food. Not so. It is really sad how the animals suffer. I know that sometimes it is hard to afford or find the foods that don't test on animals, but I think in the long run, it's worth it.

aki
02-12-2004, 10:55 AM
woops! Sorry folks! I was trying to reply to the thread on dog food. Sorry for the malfunction.

DogLover9501
02-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I haven't heard anything about IAMS, except I know some people have problems with it, but thats all I know! why are they in hot water?

aki
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
They are being investigated for animal cruelty. Here is an excerpt from the website www.iamscruelycom

"For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator went undercover at an Iams contract testing laboratory and discovered a dark and sordid secret beneath the wholesome image of the dog- and cat-food manufacturer: dogs gone crazy from intense confinement to barren steel cages and cement cells, dogs left piled on a filthy paint-chipped floor after having chunks of muscle hacked from their thighs; dogs surgically debarked; horribly sick dogs and cats languishing in their cages, neglected and left to suffer with no veterinary care."

Go to the site and check it out. The site has photo and video proof. Sad to say, but it is horrible. A company who makes us believe that they love and care about animals. Many people have boycotted IAMS until they clean up their act. I have. Spread the news, help the animals.

God bless

aki
02-12-2004, 12:58 PM
I swear I cannot type today!!!! :)

Here is the site:

www.iamscruelty.com

FizzGiggs_Mommy
02-12-2004, 01:35 PM
I am appoled I am Upset And I am in utterlly shock to think a huge company such as Iams is doing that! Never again will I buy there cookies for my boys!

lv4dogs
02-12-2004, 01:40 PM
this has been going on for quite some time now (years & years) & it is not the first time they are under investigation. Just for those that do not know Eukanuba is part of the iams co. too.

This is the ONLY reason i do not support their products.

ill have to look around to find them again but there are many other sites about this out there & some have some very disturbing photos & videos.

wolfie
02-12-2004, 02:09 PM
thanks for posting that link aki! I had no idea - that's so awful! :(

aki
02-12-2004, 02:21 PM
There are a lot of companies that DO NOT test on animals. There is a list on that site. You can also get lists of other companies that do not test. For example beauty and cleaning supplies and also charities.

DogLover9501
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM
What about Pedigree:confused:

lv4dogs
02-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
What about Pedigree:confused:

not sure if they do testings or not but personally i dont pay attention because i do not personally care for their food. Too much corn & other fillers & too many by products & such.

wolfsoul
02-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Here is a list of foods that test on animals. Alot of them are from the same company (like Alpo and Friskies are both from Purina) but it helps you get an idea.

IAMS, Eukanuba, Alpo, Arthur's, Bakers Complete, Bonio, Bonus, Bounce, Brekkies, Cesar, Chappie, Choice, Choosy, Chunky, Felix, Friskies/Winalo, Go-Cat, Go-Dog, Gourmet, Hills Science Diet, Katkins, Kitekat, Mighty Dog, Omega Complete, Pal, Pedigree, Ralston Purina, Sheba, Spillers, Whiskas.

Edit: By the way, I don't know some of these foods, but the ones I do know are very low-quality. I wonder if there's a connection at all. It makes me think that they don't care about the animals they abuse, so why care about the animals they feed?

aki
02-13-2004, 12:17 PM
We were just watching a dog show on a one of the cable channels and IAMS was a sponsor. And here I am thinking, how can they say they are animal lovers when they do these things? It makes me sick. My pets are like children to me and I cannot imagine someone treating them like that. Likewise I wouldn't purchase clothing (for example) for my daughter (or anyone) that were made by slave labor overseas.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Right on Wolfsoal and aki, I'm with you all the way.

dappledoxie
02-13-2004, 02:50 PM
That is just awful! One of the reasons I am switching my dogs to something different. Does Nutro do that??

wolfsoul
02-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by dappledoxie
That is just awful! One of the reasons I am switching my dogs to something different. Does Nutro do that??
As far as I know, Nutro isn't involved in any animal testing. :) I may be wrong, but I hope I'm not. I hate animal testing. :(

aki
02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
KBlaix said in another post (Best Dog Food) that they do. I haven't really heard much about the company.

DogLover9501
02-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Omega Complete, Pal, Pedigree, Ralston Purina, Sheba, Spillers, Whiskas.

Ugh Jasper's food AND Tigger's food!!

What do I do if Tigger won't eat anything else I try?

Also they may not ALL test as bad as Iams do, right? :confused:

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I red something about Nutro testing on animals, but let me get back to you, I may be wrong... I hope I am.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I didn't find anything credible saying that they defiantly do or do not test on animals. I did find that their web site says nothing at all in regards to animal testing, which makes me wonder. I did however email the company and asked them. I'm interested in how they respond. I'll post the reply when it comes.

wolfsoul
02-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Also they may not ALL test as bad as Iams do, right?
Well, most of the dog food comapnies don't do the testing themselves -- it's the companies that own them. Most dog food companies are owned by soap companies, so most of the testing on animals would involve soap, makeup, etc.

I'm doing some more research on Nutro now. I see alot of sites saying that Nutro tests on animals, but some say that they do "nutrition tests" only. That could mean anything. I also read that Nutro is sueing Iams. I'm going to email Nutro and ask about their testing.

dappledoxie
02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Ok, thank you very much for checking that for me! :) Also wolfsoul, thank you as well. I may end up with the Chicken Soup brand instead, I don't want to promote companies that do animal testing, I despise that, it's awful... Is there a post somewhere about companies in general that test on animals or a website I could check out?

Originally posted by KBlaix
I didn't find anything credible saying that they defiantly do or do not test on animals. I did find that their web site says nothing at all in regards to animal testing, which makes me wonder. I did however email the company and asked them. I'm interested in how they respond. I'll post the reply when it comes.

GoldenRetrLuver
02-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by dappledoxie
Is there a post somewhere about companies in general that test on animals or a website I could check out?

HERE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33750&highlight=Products+that+test+on+animals) is a thread made a while back about the companies that test on animals. Hope it helps.