PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Pam
02-12-2004, 06:52 AM
I was just watching Adam Sandler on GMA talking about how he recently lost his dad to lung cancer from smoking. He was urging everyone to quit now. My hubby is a smoker and I would love to see him hang up his cigarettes one of these days. I was wondering how many Pet Talkers smoke now, gave it up, enjoy it and have no intention of quitting, etc. Also any stories of how you kicked the habit would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Delf
02-12-2004, 06:57 AM
No way, it stink SO bad.
Yök!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Neither Andrew nor I are smokers. Never have been. My 19 year old brother smoked since he was 15. He recently quit about 6 months ago. I am very proud of him. My other brother has never been a smoker either.

My father, sadly, has been a smoker since he was 15 as well. He hasn't quit and has no intention of quitting either. He smokes up to 3 packs a day :eek: :eek: My mother hates it. She has developed respiratory problems due to his smoking and finally started making him smoke on the balcony if he insists on smoking.
My grandfather (dad's father) had so many health problems because of his smoking habbits. My father hasn't learned from that even though he lost his dad to it. :(

Tonya
02-12-2004, 07:25 AM
I've quit cold turkey more then once because I can't stand the smell. Seeing Mike's grandma in that hospital bed this weekend is enough to keep me from ever smoking again.

My step-mom quit with the patches. It made it really easy for her.

catnapper
02-12-2004, 07:36 AM
I am so repulsed by smoking! I am also allergic to the second hand smoke it creates. One whiff and I have an instant headache and my lungs start collecting mucus... so incredibly gross. I can't remember the last club or bar I went to... we choose our restaurants carefully so that I don't have to sit in the smoke.

I know I'm going to get bashed over the head for this but... here I go plunging in with both feet:
Since I have to deal with their addiction, shouldn't they be responsible for my asthma inhalers? Pay for the day's work I missed because my lungs were so full that I was hanging over the toilet throwing up mucus? Can I mucus on them since they smoke on me? I know I'm sounding very sarcastic and I mean to. Why do we non-smokers have to deal with their addiction? We should all take cue from California and ban smoking!!! woohooo!

Ok, I'll get back to normal now. I honestly don't know what would possess someone to start! Its expensive. Everyone knows the risk, and most people have a family member die of smoking related diseases. Every smoker I know wishes they could quit. All of them have tried one plan or another and failed because their addiction was that strong. I will not condemn a person for an addiction - they cannot help what their body craves. What I can condemn is that they took that first puff however long ago... there's enough information out there that should have penetrated their brains to be significant enough to have stopped them and made them say "no thanks." I know it did me - long before my allergies.

Whew, steping off my high-horse now. Please understand that I am far from perfect. I have my own weakenesses - though mine never waft over to a stranger's nose and into their bodies.

Randi
02-12-2004, 07:37 AM
I smoke, and I enjoy it. However, I'm keeping it down to about 15 a day. I'd like to get down to 10. When I'm visiting non smokers, I can keep it down and I feel it's good for me.

Sometimes I put a patch on and I can avoid smoking until late afternoon. :) I could not imagine having a drink in a Bar without also having a cigarette.

GoldenRetrLuver
02-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Nope, I don't smoke.
But my grandma does, and my grandpa used too; but he quit. :)

amoore
02-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I voted but my vote was not accepted because mahayana voted in his name, but from this computer we are on the same internet account, Since we are on the same computer we can't both do polls on here, even though we are using our own Pet Talk User name! Only one at a time can vote on a poll. Weird huh?:confused:

micki76
02-12-2004, 08:24 AM
I smoked as a teen, but quit just after my Mom died from lung cancer at the age of 47 when I was just 17. My Daddy passed away from emphysema this past September. I really don’t see how anyone who’s ever watched someone die from a smoking related illness can still smoke. :(

Their smoking did this to them:

My mother couldn’t speak or write. She was in bed most of the time and was in extreme pain. Her lung cancer spread to her brain and she could barely speak or walk.
Daddy couldn’t do anything for the last 2 years of his life, he stayed home in his recliner or was in the hospital. He was hospitalized around 38 times in the last 2 years of his life. He was miserable. He even had trouble eating due to the scar tissue from surgery to remove a small lung cancer.

I quit cold turkey and for me that works. I’m very strong willed and when I set my mind to do something, nothing can stop me.

anna_66
02-12-2004, 08:32 AM
I quit once for 2 years and 2 other times for 1 year.

I've found now that I'm older, it's much harder to quit. At least I manage to only smoke about 1/2 pack or less a day.

PJ's Mom
02-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I quit almost a year ago.

Silly thing is, I miss it. :confused:

Kiia
02-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I used to smoke. It will be 7 years this year that I quit. I basically quit cold turkey. I gave in to the cravings for the first few weeks, and I worked with people at the time who used to smoke around me. Eventually I just said, that's it, enough is enough. I chewed alot of gum and had baby carrott sticks when I had a craving. I hated the wheezing when I was doing any sort of exercise/sports.

My grandfather had lung cancer caused from smoking, he had to have one of his lungs taken out. My grandmother had this terrible, terrible smoker's cough, everytime I heard it I cringed. I felt so bad for them. My dad still smokes, I really wish he would quit. He tried a few months ago, but ended up going back. :(

I wish I never would have started. It stinks so bad, especially on a rainy/humid day the smell is just 10x worse. After going to a club or restaurant, I can really smell it in my hair, it stinks.

Kater
02-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
My 19 year old smoked since he was 15. He recently quit about 6 months ago. I am very proud of him. My other brother has never been a smoker either.
Could you clarify something - do you mean your 19 year old brother or 19 year old son? I'm assuming brother since you said "other brother." :confused:

I do not smoke and will never start. I have been very lucky in that I did not grow up around smokers, in fact, I can't think of a single person in my family that smokes.

G.P.girl
02-12-2004, 08:46 AM
I think smoking is a discusting habit. no one is my house smokes, but my dad smokes in secret. he though i didn't know that everytime i left the house he would smoke,then hide the ashes and butts..but i think he's trying to quit. i'm trying to make my uncle quit, but he won't quit all by him self. he won't use any patches or those gum thingies. he says he's waiting for a message from god to help him stop

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Kater
Could you clarify something - do you mean your 19 year old brother or 19 year old son? I'm assuming brother since you said "other brother." :confused:

You guessed right: it's my brother! I fixed that. Thanks for pointing out to me! I would have been confused as well seeing that it would be impossible for me to have a 19 year old SON! (I am only 23)

slleipnir
02-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Never smoked. Never will.

ramanth
02-12-2004, 09:47 AM
I've never smoked or had the urge too. I can't stand the smell now.

Both my parents used to smoke. Mom smoked casually and when she found out she was pregnant with me, she quit, then started again after I was born, and so on when she was pregnant with Linn and then Jenn. After Jenn was born, she never started up again.

Dad did smoke but I don't remember it. I think I was about 5 when he quit cold turkey. My Dad's Father died of Emphesema (sp?) and his Step-Dad died of liver faliure from drinking too much.

I wish people didn't smoke but I understand it can be hard to quit if you want too.

It's all about choices.

Felicia's Mom
02-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I do not smoke, and have hated it before it was popular to hate it.

My father was the only one in my family who smoked. I don't remember exactly what he died of, but it was smoking related.

I hate the smell of a person smoking either a cigarette or a cigar, but I love the smell of a pipe.

wolfsoul
02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't smoke...But when I was three, I asked my dad for a cigarette, and he lit one up and gave it to me lol. :rolleyes:

K9soul
02-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I have never smoked. I have had friends and family who have. I have never had the urge to try but now that I am a medical transcriptionist and type about so many people who have terrible problems, can't breathe without oxygen cannula with them all the time, have lung cancer, etc., it's even more pressed home how harmful it is.

I sympathize with those who find it really hard to quit. Who's to say I wouldn't find it just as hard if I had ever started. It's too bad the things were ever invented in the first place. You would not believe how many of the common health problems those things cause with people, from frequent respiratory infections to death from lung failure and cancers.

Edwina's Secretary
02-12-2004, 10:28 AM
I smoked for many, many years. Next week is my 3 year anniversary of quiting.

I used Zyban to help me quit. Still it was the hardest thing you can image. It left a HUGE void in my life. Not a day goes by that I don't miss smoking -- not cigarettes -- but the act or ritual of smoking.

I would never touch a cigarette today because I understand my addiction. I smoked a cigar once but inhaled and was soooooo sick.

I'm glad I quit....physically I am so much healthier and I am no longer controlled by something (standing outside to smoke....desparate for the plane to land... sneaking to light up.)

Nomilynn
02-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I don't smoke, and I'm very allergic to it. I can't stand to be around people who are smoking. I get lightheaded, I cough, and I also get very sick to my stomach.

Smoking has been banned in all public places here, like restaurants, stadiums, airports, etc. Obviously, people are still allowed to smoke outside, but it's SO nice to be able to go anywhere for dinner or something and not have to inhale someone elses stink!!! :D

KYS
02-12-2004, 12:39 PM
My dad was a chain smoker and I hated the smell.
(car stunk, clothes stunk and furniture etc.)
He finally quit smoking on a stupid bet, and not
because of emphisemia (sp).
Needless to say, I never smoked. :)

catland
02-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I've quit twice. This last time was for good because I fully understand that I'm a complete addict and if I were to give in and smoke "just one" - I would be hooked again.

I quit cold-turkey. It would have been nice to take medication but the one out at the time said "not for people who have had seizures" so I couldn't take it.

I'm so glad I quit. Me, my car, and my clothes don't stink anymore. I have more money in the bank. I don't have a nagging cough (it left me within days of quitting.:D )

There are still moments when a cigarette sounds just wonderful. But the moment passes and I feel so good about myself for not giving in to temptation.

Cheshirekatt
02-12-2004, 01:21 PM
My mom smoked three packs of cigs a day while I was growing up. I hated it then and I still hate it now.

I also have smoke related allergies and it's very hard on me physically to be around people who smoke. It really bothers me when smokers gather around the entrace of a building to smoke and you have to walk through them to get to the entrance. :mad:

I think exposing your kids to constant second-hand smoke in either the home or car is close to abuse. I've seen kids strapped into car seats with the windows all up and the parents smoking away. :mad:

K9soul
02-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I just want to add a big congrats to those of you who have managed to quit smoking! *applaud* :)

Best wishes for anyone still trying or planning to try. I don't have any idea what it feels like, but it must be very difficult. I know how hard it would be for me to give up my morning cup of coffee, though I know that's probably not a great comparison. Still I know it'd be tough and how I would crave it.

carole
02-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately I smoked from age 16 until I was 24, I gave up to have my son, and have never smoked since, I detest it, sadly my son smokes and I DESPERATELY want him to give up, he is asthmatic as well, I watched my adopted Uncle die from lung Cancer and it was not nice, I DON'T want my son to suffer the same fate.

I am glad to see all the bans on smoking, you can no longer smoke in a night club or restaurant or pub anymore in NZ, long time coming, but at last we no longer have be subject to passive smoking.

Please I urge all young ones not to even start, its so addictive, expensive, not socially acceptable anymore, life threatning, and you smell so bad, until you give up you never know just how offensive cigarette smoke is on your breath ,clothes, and it also ages you,especially around the mouth area, so there are plenty good reasons to give up.

Pam my husband smoked when we met, he used to smoke outside, and I am thrilled to say he just gave up, cold turkey and has not smoked in 12 years, just as well as frankly I don't think I could stay married to him if he continued, not just the offensive smell, but we simply could not afford it., so don't give up there is hope.

lv4dogs
02-12-2004, 02:04 PM
i smoke, quite 3 times before for almost a year each time. not sure why i ever started back up. I quite cold turkey every time & surprisingly it was not too hard to do as i had my mind set to it.
almost my entire family smokes including aunts/uncles/cousins etc... on both sides & one side is an extremely large family.

i only smoke about half a pack a day though. I only smoke in my house when it is very very cold outside & even then only a couple a day & only in my living room. I never smoke around kids or people that do not like it. I do smoke in my car though.
ny passed a law tha no smoking in public places is allowed which is good.

I would like to quite again for good but it is hard for me to do now, i guess im not 100% ready to quite yet.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't smoke and never have, but my dad smoked forever. Then one day when he was about 45 or so, he just quit, cold turkey. He's now 69 and says he still misses it, but just at times, like when he's in a restaraunt and he gets the first whiff of someone else's smoke, but he says the feeling passes quickly. I'm so glad he quit back then because he has diabetes now and has had a heart attack and bypass surgery, and it would only complicate things and make them much worse if he still smoked.

For those who quit while they were pregnant, congratulations! My best friend's sister quit when she was pregnant with her first daughter - she also quit drinking. Then when the baby was born she started smoking again, but not in the house. In summer she goes outside but in winter she goes in the basement. Then when she got pregnant again, she quit again. Now that that baby is born, she started again. Seeing as how I've never smoked, I find it amazing that she quit for 9 months and not once, but twice! And then started again. My best friend lives in Seattle, but when she comes home there is always a battle between them. Their parents have smoked forever and their sister died from an aneurism they think was induced by too much smoking, drinking and stress. They're dad has had surgery on the arteries that go to your brain which I guess is a common thing for smokers - they get blocked or something? Anyway, they have had major health problems in the family due to smoking. My best friend quit a million times and re-started before she finally quit for good. Her mom also quit and her dad cut down dramatically. My friend is quite outspoken, so when she goes home to visit, there is always a battle about the smoking. She just doesn't understand how her sister can still smoke in the basement knowing the smoke rises and the kids will breathe it anyway, and she can't understand how her dad can still smoke after already having his life threatened once by it.

Aaaannyyway, didn't mean to ramble like that. Congratulations to all those who have quit. I understand it is quite difficult and you should all be proud of yourselves! :D

EssTer
02-12-2004, 02:48 PM
eeeew.... I hate smoking...I´ve never tried... and I´m not going to...when someone is smoking near me, I´m feeling sick and sometimes comes cought from those smokes and smell.....brrr

P.S. for luck no one in my family smokes...

Rio and Me
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Sadly I'm a smoker, I dont like it and am ashamed, I plan to try and stop very soon, it's hard but it will happen, I plan to do it with out patchs etc, i'll use mints instead, i'm at the "right" age to stop.
But please dont look at us smokers as disgusting people, its a bad habit and is very difficult to stop.
Ky and Rio

PS I dont smoker near my beloved dog

Amber
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Pam,

We are learning about tabbaco in Health Class, and she was talking about how to get our parents to stop.

In the ashtray put Candy, or anything good, and his ciggaretts will be there too. He can choose if he wants the good yummy candy or his smoking.

Just a thought. My health teacher told us this.
-----------------------------------

I would never smoke. Too gross and messy. I dont like to be around anyone smoking because of second hand smoke. And its terrible for you, its like taking life from you miniuts by miniuts.

Pam
02-12-2004, 04:43 PM
First of all, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to those of you who have quit! I know that growing up I witnessed my uncle lose a lung due to lung cancer from smoking and watching him trying to get around on one lung for several years after that taught me a lesson. Also, I used to work at a bank and we had these nice retired guards who would push the button for your elevator, etc. I grew quite fond of one who, unfortunately, developed emphysema after years of smoking. It was hard to watch him gasping for breath and wheezing just walking over to the elevators. :(

My daughter says she smells smoke on my clothes and things now when I come to visit. The whole time she lived here, before getting married, she never noticed it. Now she says my clothes reek and I am not even the smoker so it really affects everyone in the household.

aly
02-12-2004, 04:47 PM
I have never smoked and never plan on it. I've never even been tempted to try it. I do feel sorry for people that get addicted to it and suffer from health problems. Good luck to everyone trying to quit!!!

popcornbird
02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
I've never smoked and never will. Its a habit that disgusts me, and is soooo bad for your health. They say its a *slow-motion suicide*, because it will kill you eventually. My parents never smoked, my brother never smoked, and I never smoked, and I know, for certain, that none of us ever will. No one on my mom's side of the family smokes. On my dad's side, his oldest brother used to, but quit. His other two brothers have been smoking since they were teens and still do. :rolleyes: They used to smoke in the house but have been banned from that by their families. :p Now they smoke outside, and outside only. Whenever we go to visit them or they come to visit us, I don't want to hug my uncles (though I do), BECAUSE they smell so bad. :o I don't like that smell. He he. They aren't allowed to smoke in our house though, and the excuse for that is that its bad for our birds. :p My dad's the only one of the 4 brothers who never attempted to smoke. He said he was close to one of his uncles, and his uncle's constant talking to him kept him away from it. His sisters never smoked either.

binka_nugget
02-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I've never smoked and never will. Both my parents do but my dad is far worse than my mom about it. His car is newer by 10 years and smells alot worse than my mom's car. His room also stinks and so did the living room until he bought a purifier. I'm trying to talk my mom into quitting because I don't want to lose her anytime soon especially since my sister's not even close to done growing up yet.

I just don't understand how anyone can want to smoke in the first place. The way I see it, it's like killing yourself slowly. Kudos to those who quit.

CountryWolf07
02-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I have never smoked, NEVER will try it... ever. My grandmother used to smoke so much when I was younger.. then she quit.. then she developed breathing problems.. and she died in 1999... only at 73 years old.. I actually felt mad.. because smoking was part of it.. but I was sad.. I just wanna live.. not die.

jenluckenbach
02-12-2004, 07:33 PM
I have managed to live 41 years without even the curiosity to try just one. WHY DO PEOPLE START!!!!!???????? It's stinky, for one thing.
I too can not tolerate to be around second hand smoke and I practiacally hugged catnapper for her little speech***applaud***
and for those who think they enjoy it or are not stong enough to quit, go find a person dying of lung cancer (like my mom did at 54) and watch how they are suffering for their addiction.

Pam
02-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Judging from the poll so far at least, it appears that most Pet Talkers have never smoked and many have successfully quit. I don't know what conclusions we can draw from that but I thought it was interesting. I wonder how representative it is of the population in general. My fingers are still crossed for my hubby and all of you who are trying to kick the habit. I imagine it is a bit like those trying to lose weight, etc. There must come a time when the "light bulb lights up" and the person simply says "OK, now is the time. Enough is enough."

Foam
02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
No way! I've tried it..ONCE. Just ONE TIME, and it was a while ago. It made me cough, and almost gag so that was it for me.
Most of the people I hang out with have quit smoking since that happened. Occasionally they smoke, but it doesn't bother me since they don't pressure anyone into doing it with them.

GoldenRetrLuver
02-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Foam
Occasionally they smoke, but it doesn't bother me since they don't pressure anyone into doing it with them.

Same here.
I have a couple friends who do smoke, and when I first met them they asked if I wanted to try it. Of course I said "No", and they never asked/bugged me about it since then. If they want to continue to do it...then it's their decision. I don't judge them, or think lower of them, and it doesn't stop me from thinking what good friends they are. :)

primabella
02-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I have never smoked. My parents both smoked but when my mother got pregnant with my older sister, they both quit. I'm so proud of them. :) Then my grandfather who was a heavy smoker bought a cigarette holder which makes a recording of someone coughing and coughing each time you'd take a cigarette out. It worked for him and he hasn't smoked since. :D

None of my friends smoke but a few have tried or used to. I hate smoking, the smell is awful, it does nothing for your appearance and its so unattractive. I hate the whole idea of smoking. *shudder*

I'm glad to hear that so many of you don't smoke. :) It's a habit I never want to get into. Best of luck to all of you who wish to quit.

Foam
02-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I have a couple friends who do smoke, and when I first met them they asked if I wanted to try it. Of course I said "No", and they never asked/bugged me about it since then. If they want to continue to do it...then it's their decision. I don't judge them, or think lower of them, and it doesn't stop me from thinking what good friends they are. :)

Exactly! Some people think that just because a person smokes, they must be a murderer and want to ruin everyone around them's lives. :rolleyes: It's stupid.
I have been asked a couple times about it, but they never bugged me about it. They just simply ask, I tell them no thanks, and they shrug it off as I do as well. I love them, no matter how much they smoke. They're great people!

CathyBogart
02-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Blech, I don't like stinky people and I certainly don't want to be one! >.<

Edit: I smoked a clove cigarette once. My curiosity was satisfied, and I've never tried since. (Plus, I couldn't stand how I smelled afterwards, so I dove for the shower.)

wolf_Q
02-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I've never smoked, and I never will. The smell gags me, and if I'm around it too much, it makes me sick.

Good job to those who are trying to quit or have succeeded! That's a great accomplishment!

Twisterdog
02-12-2004, 11:06 PM
I smoked for fifteen years, and quit. It was TERRIBLY hard to do. Nicotine has been scientifically proven to be more addictive, both physically and mentally, than morphine or heroin. There is no such thing as "just" quitting.

For those of you that have never smoked, good for you! That's wonderful! However ... you also don't know what it is like to quit. It is pure hell for some people - like having the flu and a nervous breakdown at the same time ... for weeks or months constantly. Anyone who has smoked and quit has broken one of the most difficult addictions there is to break. It is NOT easy.

And ... EVERYone has a bad habit. No one is perfect, we ALL do something that we shouldn't. Smoking is a horrid, nasty thing to do, no doubt. However, there are things just as bad, or worse. Alcoholism, drug addiction, over-eating, etc. Just because someone smokes does not make them evil. It makes them addicted.

Dogz
02-12-2004, 11:17 PM
I have never smoked, and I never will. My parents smoke, and I do not like it at all. More the reason to not start!

BCBlondie
02-13-2004, 12:03 AM
In my opinion, smoking is one the worst things someone could do to themselves. It's really unhealthy and it makes your breath and your house, clothes, and car smell, and you can develop all these health problems or people/animals around you can get 2nd-hand smoke problems from it, and the list goes on. Plus, isn't an ingredient they use in rat poison used in cigarettes? :confused: I think I heard that somewhere... My step-dad's dad died from smoking, so did my uncle's dad, and my neighbor...She was a smoker, got all these cancers from it, eventually got brain cancer and died. :( It was so sad...she was such a nice lady.

jazzcat
02-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Never have and never will.

Cigarette smoke makes me ill and I have an allergic reaction to certain brand's smoke. I absolutely can't stand to be around it.

Cheshirekatt
02-13-2004, 12:33 AM
The addiction part doesn't bother me. Only when people inflict their addiction on other people, especially children. This goes for other drugs, too. I really do consider nicotine a drug as like was said, nicotine is horribly addicting and legal and easy to get.

If tobacco weren't such a big cash crop in the US I'm sure it would be more controlled.

JMHO

bisi.cat
02-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Never have and never will...

I'll second every word catnapper has said, it's all so true...over here in Germany we don't have such a lot of restrictions concerning smokers, at the bookstore we are five colleagues and one is a smoker and she won't stop smoking in our kitchen...it's so ignorant and I hate it so much...

I could never imagine to allow smoking in my home, because I know the smoke would be in my cat's fur also and she would have to lick it away...urgh...:mad:

Smoking...NO WAY!!!

tomkatzid
02-13-2004, 01:45 AM
I quit when the were 55 cents a pack. That tells you how long ago that was. Where I work they $8.00 a pack. I've been smoke free well over 30 years, except all the 2nd hand smoke where I work. But thats just a matter of time too. The county south (Pierce) of us is Smoke Free now too. Come on KING Co. get with it.
Katz

Kfamr
02-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I have never smoked, and never will.

Both of my parents smoke but they DO NOT smoke around me. If they did, i'd leave the room or go somewhere far from them. They smoke outside, and do not smoke in the car.

The on exception to that rule was when my dad and I drove to Ohio for the PT meeting -- I let him smoke because I didn't want to stop and get the dogs riled up, since they were settled nicely in the back seat of the truck.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Pam
My daughter says she smells smoke on my clothes and things now when I come to visit. The whole time she lived here, before getting married, she never noticed it. Now she says my clothes reek and I am not even the smoker so it really affects everyone in the household.

It's so true how the smell stays with you. I don't smoke, but before I moved in with Terry I lived in an apartment building that evidently had a lot of "holes" in it. I think everyone else in the building smoked, and at the very least the guy below me did. I would go to spend the weekend by Terry and as soon as I opened my duffle bag I could smell it. It was awful! I tried to find holes to plug up with the "Great Stuff" stuff, but that never worked. And it's funny because when I walked into the apartment I couldn't smell it, but when I left and got in the fresh air I could just smell it on myself. It wasn't a bad apartment, but I was sooo glad to move out of there.

One of the guys that my boss has doing odd jobs for him must smoke like a chimney. He just reeks of it when he comes in the office. We don't allow smoking in the office, but it's so strong in his clothes that I can smell it for hours afterwards. It's just awful.

And for the record, I don't condemn anyone that smokes. It's an awful habit and I understand it's really quite hard to quit.....just don't do it around me....k? ;) And I'm also so glad that I never smoked so I don't have the stress of quitting hanging over me. I can't imagine being that "controlled" by something.

I have a friend who is an absolute health nut. She only eats vegetarian and doesn't like to take any pills, even aspirin, because it's not natural. A TOTAL natural freak. Treats her body like a temple, works out regularly and all that good stuff....but she smokes. I asked her once how she can justify that and she said that everyone has bad things they do. She does everything else right and this is the one "bad" thing she allows herself. She even tried "natural" cigarettes once. Smelled like she was smoking weeds...that phase didn't last too long. ;)

isis
02-13-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm illergic to cigarette smoke. So I would die. Even if I wasn't, I would never smoke!! Nor will I ever drink.

Amber
02-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Tabbaco Facts

Teens- 3000 become regular smokers daily.
13 year olds- The average age start smoking

Smoking one cigarette shortens a life aproximtely 7-14 miniuts
1 pack (20) 280 mins 4.6 hours
1 pack/day/week 1960 mins 32.6 hours
1 pack/day/month 8400min 140 hours

Interesting....

Twisterdog
02-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Tabbaco Facts

Teens- 3000 become regular smokers daily.
13 year olds- The average age start smoking

Smoking one cigarette shortens a life aproximtely 7-14 miniuts
1 pack (20) 280 mins 4.6 hours
1 pack/day/week 1960 mins 32.6 hours
1 pack/day/month 8400min 140 hours

Interesting....

You know, frankly, if that were accurate .... I think I'd already be dead by now. ;)

Miranda_Rae
11-01-2004, 02:57 PM
I would NEVER EVER in my whole entire life smoke. My grandpa died of lung cancer in march, and it was HORRIBLE watching him just waste away, literally. He must have weighed 90 some lbs when he died. :( He could barely talk anymore. It was horrid. Just thinking about it makes me just remember all that pain. :( My grandma (his wife) got breast cancer and kidney cancer from smoking and she still smokes! :eek: Even after watching her husband waste away, an agonizing 6 months of being bedridden. :( So, no I would NEVER EVER EVER smoke.

Samantha Puppy
11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I took one puff of a cigarette once, and spent the entire night trying to get the taste out of my mouth. I hated it, hated the smell, hated the taste. Blech. I hate smoking and I hate being around those who do (if they do it around me).

I almost broke off my engagement with my fiance once because he wouldn't quit (he was only a social smoker, but still) until I threw an absolute fit (and the ring in his face) and hypervenilated (and then passed out from hypervenilating) so that was what finally made him stop --- and me continue with the wedding plans. Overdramatic? Yes. But he doesn't smoke anymore and that is what is important. I could never be with a smoker, even a social one.

tomkatzid
11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
In 2 to 3 weeks the hotel where I have worked ""in smoke ""for the past 23.5 years goes NON SMOKING. I can't wait. I really can't wait to tell people to put out the #$%%^$ cigarettes. And we will break all the ashtrayes :D It's been a long time coming and we in the Restaurant biz are ready ready ready for it to be a NON SMOKING environment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katz

wolflady
11-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I am so repulsed by smoking! I am also allergic to the second hand smoke it creates. One whiff and I have an instant headache and my lungs start collecting mucus... so incredibly gross. I can't remember the last club or bar I went to... we choose our restaurants carefully so that I don't have to sit in the smoke.

I know I'm going to get bashed over the head for this but... here I go plunging in with both feet:
Since I have to deal with their addiction, shouldn't they be responsible for my asthma inhalers? Pay for the day's work I missed because my lungs were so full that I was hanging over the toilet throwing up mucus? Can I mucus on them since they smoke on me? I know I'm sounding very sarcastic and I mean to. Why do we non-smokers have to deal with their addiction? We should all take cue from California and ban smoking!!! woohooo!

Ok, I'll get back to normal now. I honestly don't know what would possess someone to start! Its expensive. Everyone knows the risk, and most people have a family member die of smoking related diseases. Every smoker I know wishes they could quit. All of them have tried one plan or another and failed because their addiction was that strong. I will not condemn a person for an addiction - they cannot help what their body craves. What I can condemn is that they took that first puff however long ago... there's enough information out there that should have penetrated their brains to be significant enough to have stopped them and made them say "no thanks." I know it did me - long before my allergies.

Whew, steping off my high-horse now. Please understand that I am far from perfect. I have my own weakenesses - though mine never waft over to a stranger's nose and into their bodies.

LOL LOL **hugs** This is exactly the same way I feel! Actually, I have become so spoiled since I have moved to california, because I can actually go places and breath! (restaurants, clubs, pubs, bowling alleys!! etc.). Why is it that bad habits seem to be praised by making us folks who want to breath suffer? When I lived in Indiana, it was hard for me to go anywhere, because I react the same way to smoke that you do.
Plus, people get smoking breaks at work for 15 minutes several times a day. What about us (relatively speaking) healthy people? I don't get praised with several 15 minute breaks throughout my workday because of it! :rolleyes:
Actually, I started going to coffee shops, because if smokers can get all this free time because of their bad habit, why can't I? LOL :rolleyes:
Smokers who throw their damn cigarette butt out the window and cause roadside fires really make me mad too. I've never had a desire to smoke, because there's nothing appealing about it. I've always wondered how people were initally attracted to sticking a stinky flaming hot thing in their mouth to begin with! :eek: LOL LOL
I do have some very dear friends who smoke, so I do know how hard it is to quit. One of my friends from college used to smoke like a chimney every day. After we graduated, I ended up going on a business trip to where he was living and I met up with him and he had quite smoking cold turkey! I was so proud of him! I know it's not easy to do, so kudos to everyone who has been able to quit! I was surprised at how good my friend looked after he quit smoking. Good luck to those of you who are looking to quit! I've heard that the patch thingy seems to help.
**hugs**
Karen

davidpizzica
11-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I haven't had a cigarette in 22 years! (23 years come next January 31st.) I started smoking at 14 because of peer pressure. I quit smoking January 31st 1982. It was VERY tough to quit. I did it mainly because I got tired of smelling of smoke, also because the price went to .65 cents a pack! Big money n 1982. I would wheeze walking up hills, and I'd have to sneak my smoking. I tried a puff of one about six weeks after I quit(cold turkey) and I thought I was going to die! I will NEVER go back to smoking Never!!!!

wolflady
11-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I took one puff of a cigarette once, and spent the entire night trying to get the taste out of my mouth. I hated it, hated the smell, hated the taste. Blech. I hate smoking and I hate being around those who do (if they do it around me).

I almost broke off my engagement with my fiance once because he wouldn't quit (he was only a social smoker, but still) until I threw an absolute fit (and the ring in his face) and hypervenilated (and then passed out from hypervenilating) so that was what finally made him stop --- and me continue with the wedding plans. Overdramatic? Yes. But he doesn't smoke anymore and that is what is important. I could never be with a smoker, even a social one.

LOL LOL I'm sorry, but this made me chuckle. What a good way to get someone to quit smoking! :eek: ;) :D LOL

cookieluver7
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Heck no! And I am never planning on it! I hate smoke! It smells really bad and it makes you really unhealthy! (puck!) Some advice for y'all thinkin 'bout smoking: Stop. Think. Don't.