PDA

View Full Version : who else has a neurotic dog? :)

wolfie
02-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Daphne has OCD or something, really!

She picks little specks off the floor and eats them. Like dust and stuff. She'll also pick ticks off her in the summer. She really hates them!

Daphne also licks herself clean like a cat. She's all dirty when we put her in the car to go home from the beach, and by the time we get home she's clean!

She also is obsessed with laser pointers, flashlights, and shadows. She gets crazy with the laser pointer! If we just make a clicking noise, she looks everywhere for it! She also knows where we keep it, and gets all intense, staring at us when we go near the draw! One time the plumber came over when we were gone, and he told us that he played with Daphne for an hour with the flashlight! She chases shadows too - especially of birds.

Oh, and when she de-stuffs a stuffed animal, she puts the fluff in one pile, pulls off the hair and puts it in a different pile, and then the squeeker gets it's own pile. lol. :)

And she's a lick-a-holic! She really could lick someone to death!

So, lets hear your neurotic dog stories. ^_^

catnapper
02-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Nicki is absolutely TERRIFIED of flies. Yes, common household flies. Thank God we have two expert fly catching kitties!

She doesn't deal well with stress. When we moved, when our Sam-dog died, and when we got Pouncer we had to put her meds for months after each event! She was making nice big licky-wounds (I forget their proper name... but they're from stress.)She has what you might call a nervous condition!

She lets the cats walk all over her. If they want the bed, she'll move. If they are eating or drinking from her bowl, she'll stand back and bark at the bowl - waiting for us to pick up the cat so she can eat/drink.

She also apparently thinks we are not allowed to kiss anybody.;) We leave her as chaperone with my son on his couch dates because she barks her head off anytime someone tries to kiss! :D

Karen
02-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Perhaps the question should be:
Does anyone have a SANE dog? ;)

The office Sheltie is certainly neurotic. (As is every dog I've ever known, each in their own way.)

To him, certain people MUST be barked at - no matter how often we introduce them, no matter how much they love dogs, have fed him biscuits, there's no rhyme or reason. No matter if he's scolded or not.

If a "bone" has been laying around the office for a few months, semi-chewed and then ignored, he will suddenly decide it is so good that, if I get out of my chair, he must take the bone and RUN into the other room and hide it from me. I have no interest in the bone, honest!

Just two examples ...

Tonya
02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Dusty has a thing with Truck rides. You cannot do anything that would slightly indicate a truck ride in front of Dusty. That means you can't touch your keys, shoes, jacket...look at the truck....walk towards the door....say the word truck or ride or goodbye...That included not looking or walking towards the shoe closet or junk drawer where the keys are stored.

Anything to that sort will put Dusty into hysterics. He starts barking like crazy and doing flips.

Roxy, she just likes to 'set up' Dusty. She intentionally drops her bones next to him and walks away. It's her way of testing him. He knows she's boss, and she'll lay and watch. The minute he moves towards it, she pounces on him. She wants him to be the keeper of her bone, but to not actually consume it.

wolfie
02-12-2004, 02:14 PM
lol, so I'm not alone! Everyone else has crazy doggies too! ^_^

tomkatzid
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
When I read the title for your thread I said "Who Doesn't"
Katz:eek:

Glacier
02-12-2004, 03:12 PM
I have several of them...

Sleet has a set path around the house that she absolutely must walk. If there is anything in her way, she can not, will not go around it. She stands there and whines until someone moves the obstacle--which can be very small.

Goldie absolutely will not leave the yard on a leash. If I am taking her for a walk, I have to drive her somewhere to start. She's also never been in any part of our house except the bedroom. She goes straight there when she comes inside and doesn't move.

Pingo has to run on the left side of everything, especially when she's in harness. Put Pingo on the left side of the team and she's amazing, put her on the right and all h@@l breaks loose.

I'm sure there's more, but those are th first ones I thought of...

CountryWolf07
02-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Anna has a little dirt path that she created by walkin' back & forth in the backyard.. she ALWAYS walks on it.. no matter what.. Rosie follows her.. actually, Anna has to be the first one to go on the path.. Rosie isn't allowed.. she's been barked at by Anna if she went on it first!

Fox-Gal
02-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I couldn't picture life without a neurotic dog, that would be boring. :)

Brandy can't be left alone in a room.....even if she can see me. She goes into a panic, running full speed into the room your in. If I stand in a door way and she not sure what room I'm in, she will run full speed in and out, in and out, in and out till I move an inch into a room. Then she happy. :rolleyes: If funny when I let her out to pee, she will look at me, run really fast into the yard to find her spot, then runs back to the door, jumping on it till it opens and runs so fast into the house that she a black blurr passing the living room into the kithen, trying to stop and slids into the table or counter. Then panic hit if I'm not in site and runs back into the living room onto the couch, off the couch, onto the couch till she sees or hears a voice. Then calm will hit her and she naps.

Mooch picked up a bad habit form my B.J (who's passed), she can't have things moved out of their place. She will growl/bark at it, as if she afraid it might get her. One day I was painting a table out side that I moved off the deck. Here comes Mooch around the side of the house....dead stop when she saw the table. Growling, barking, trying to nip at the legs of the table. Lets just say that I painted with back ground noise and the table has little teeth marks on the legs. It's odd though, some things can be moved and she has no problem, other things better not ever move.

Then there is Odie, my basket case. He's scared to death of the house. I can't even take him to the vet, the vet comes here for him, sense he wont go into the office. I have to mussle him when those times come up where I have to take him into the house (for a storm) or the vets. I've tried everything to get him over this with no luck. When I got him from the H.S. they told me he had been beaten his whole life and it was so bad when he was brought to them that they didn't belive he make it. I'm assuming he connects the beatings with the house. Now if I leave the front door open he will come in on his own.....but God forbid that door shuts. :eek: :eek:

At least I will never be bored with these guys around. ;) ;)

K9soul
02-12-2004, 05:35 PM
This is a cute thread, I love reading about all the odd little quirks of the puppers :D

Let's see.. for Tommy I guess it's that he has to be holding something almost ALL the time. When he lays down to take a nap, he first walks around and searches for the ball or bone he wants to hold, then picks it up and takes it to his preferred blanket and lays down and just holds it until he's asleep. I've seen him just lay and hold something for half an hour before, not chewing or playing, just holding it.

When he's outside, he is not happy with just a stick. We had to cut a few trees down that were dying when we first moved into the house and there are still a few logs in the back from those. Tommy has to find the absolute largest log he can fit in his mouth to try to carry around while he's outside. If he carries one too big for too long it will scratch his tongue/gums and make them bleed. :rolleyes:, but he still struggles to hold it.

Tasha has kind of an obsession for clean, well groomed feet... anyone's feet! She will not only clean and try and nibble her own toenails, she tries to give "pedicures" to Tommy, me and my husband too! If I am barefoot, I'm very likely going to receive a thorough foot washing from her, including between the toes if she can manage it. She will also nibble any toenails or fingernails if they project beyond the skin any. She is very adept at this, using her front teeth to nip them without getting any skin. She has never bitten too deep on any nails on either human or dog. I'm amazed how meticulous she is!