PDA

View Full Version : how many here have had teeth pulled???????

Truffles
02-11-2004, 03:54 PM
hey,

ok i need help or in other words releive:eek: see for a week or so now my back gum has been hurting me :( and on monday i went to see the dentist:p he said that the thing thats causing the pain in my gum is a wisdom tooth coming in :rolleyes: so on this tuesday i believe thats when i see a sugen about getting it yanked out i've had a few sugerys and know the drill about it although both sugerys were not in my mouth they were a vns implant for my seizures and ......................ladies are familer w/ this one a d&c LOL :p anyway this will be my first tooth to get yanked out please tell me what will involve thaat????????:confused: can anyone tell me. i hope i don't have to um get in a lovely gown for a tooth :rolleyes: do i?????silly question i know but so far all the surgerys i've had invloved a gown and dang i hate hospial gowns LOL:eek: if you have had a tooth pulled please tell me what to expect thanks and take care:)

ps.i think on tues day they will do a scan to make sure thats whats causing the pain in my gum not sure if the removel is the same day ................either way i'll keep you posted on how it goes;) thanks again in avance take care:)

marylyn:eek:

catnapper
02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
It depends on whether the wisdom tooth is impacted or not. If it is impacted, you're in for a fun few days - better plan on some sick days! If not, you'll be tender for a few days, but no biggie. You'll feel like your mouth is made up of raw hamburger - yuck! Just make sure you follow the dentists directions on keeping it clean because there's nothing worse than an infection that gets in deep after a tooth was pulled!

PJ's Mom
02-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I had 11 teeth pulled at once. Not fun, but not horrific, either. ;)

Hubby was amazed because I ate steak that same night. :D

bluekat
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Before I got braces, I had to have a tooth pulled out:( It hurt SOO much!!!:( I felt all dizzy after and I was almost crying lol.

I don't want to scare you anymore...because I'll just be going on and on about how much it hurt:plol

CountryWolf07
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I had 4 or 5 teeth pulled out but that was a long time ago.. when I was still in Elementary school.. it wasn't too bad..

slleipnir
02-11-2004, 04:25 PM
I believe I am the Tooth extraction master. I have has a total of 18 teeth pulled T-T 4 were wisdom teeth. Now as you can imagen I've developed some type of fear of getting anything with my teeth done. I believe I even cried going in to get my wisdom teeth out because I was nervous (I'd also never had surgry with scared me a lot too)...but I'll tell you, it's no where near as bad as I though! You'll do just fine ^_^ I never needed a gown, I just went in in my reg clothes. My mouth was sore for a while, but nothing big :)

slick
02-11-2004, 04:27 PM
In the early 70's I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. I had to arrive an hour early and they gave me these little pink pills that worked wonders. I was awake the whole time but very giddy.:D The problem started the next day. My gums got infected and I had to go back to the dentist and he had to cut the gum again, clean it out and restitch it. That was NOT fun. I was off work for a week with intense pain.

They have made wonderful advancements in dentistry since then and I'm sure now it's no big deal.

2kitties
02-11-2004, 04:33 PM
When I had mine removed, they used full anesthesia so I was out like a light. no problem.

RICHARD
02-11-2004, 04:37 PM
I was put to sleep for my wisdom teeth!

The only thing that bothered me was the fact that I woke up during the surgery.....

I was sore afterwards and it wasn't as bad as I thought....the worst part was not being able to eat the night before......

If you were having your tonsils done, then I 'd tell you to worry---just a little bit;)

binka_nugget
02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I've had loads taken out but most were pulled when I was still really young because they had literally rotted away. I had some taken out for my braces too. I think pulling wisdom teeth would hurt more than the other teeth but it shouldn't be TOO bad. When they pulled my teeth out, they gave me a shot to numb up the gums and did it while I was awake. I honestly didn't feel anything except for pressure. There weren't any sharp pains or anything.

A friend of mine went in to get his done not too long ago. He came back with swollen cheeks but said it didn't hurt too much.

I was supposed to get mine done a while ago..but they still haven't booked me in. My wisdom tooth is already sticking out a bit and I think the most painful part is done already. Anywho, good luck. Be brave!

HoRsELUvR
02-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I had a few teeth removed in elementary school, but i dont think they would hurt as much as wisdom teeth.My cheek felt puffy afterwards because they numbed my mouth when they did it.

slick
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I.the worst part was not being able to eat the night before
Actually the worst for me was not being able to brush my teeth for a week because I couldn't open my mouth wide enough :eek:

tutebugs
02-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I've never had to have any teeth pulled, not even my wisdom teeth, they all fit in my mouth. Good luck with that though!

Cookiebaker
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. Nope, no gowns or anything like that, and no pain. They knocked me out, and (what seemed like) 2 minutes later, they were waking me back up.

Hope things go well for ya, and that you'll feel better soon! Keep us posted. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
02-11-2004, 06:16 PM
I have had two teeth pulled when they were putting my braces on. Trust me, it doesn't hurt! I was really nervous the morning I was going in to get them pulled out, but it honestly took about 10 minutes. You don't feel any pain, and it just feels like someone is pulling on your tooth!

Oh, and I don't have wisdom teeth and will never get them. :D

GoldenRetrLuver
02-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
How do you know? ;) :p

The dentist and my orthodontist both told me. They don't see any teeth "coming up" from my gums, or evidence of any teeth being there. So, they said I won't have them, which is *always* good! ;):p

GoldenRetrLuver
02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I didn't think you're supposed to have any sign of them at your age. :o:o Maybe I was wrong.

Nope, they don't start coming up until I get older, if I were to have them. But, they can still see teeth that haven't come up yet when they take X-Rays. :p

slleipnir
02-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, they can tell with x-rays..they're in there lol. My friend is the same, but she only has 2 wisdom teeth.

Felicia's Mom
02-11-2004, 08:36 PM
I have had four teeth pulled, but not at the same time. Two were wisdom teeth. My dentist said I only had two wisdom teeth.

I won't say it didn't hurt, but I would rather have a tooth pulled than have a root canal.

trayi52
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I had my wisdom teeth pulled out several years ago. The first time I had two pulled out. They put me out and when I woke up they were gone. The same with the second pair of wisdom teeth. No surgery gowns. Just went to his office, put some earphones on and went to sleep listen to Alabama singing. LOL. Went home with some pills to help with the pain. No problems.

I had another tooth pulled about five years ago, and it had broken because I was supposed to have it capped after a root canal. I had heard that was suppose to be bad. No problem there either. The first time, they put me on the gas. I didn't care what they done...LOL. I put off the cap and ended up breaking the tooth and having to have it pulled. Again they gave me gas, didn't hurt at all. Ahhh the powers of getting knocked out and the powers of the gas.......;)

Truffles
02-11-2004, 10:26 PM
wow i didn't realize tooth pulling was so i guess popular lol:p i can't wait till this sucker is gone it hurts to eat anything:eek: thanks for tthe input and usefull replies i'll keep you posted :D take care:)

marylyn:p

CountryWolf07
02-11-2004, 11:38 PM
I have to get my 3 widsom teeth pulled out soon.. not sure when... I'm freaked about it.. but yet, I still have to do it.. I'll just listen to music... til' I fall asleep.. LOL

Kiia
02-12-2004, 08:45 AM
I got my 3 wisdom teeth pulled at once. I was in and out of it for the most part, I do remember the freezing was wearing off a few times. Just let your dentist know when you start feeling what's going on and you should be ok.

I couldn't eat hard food for a few days, but overall it wasn't so bad, no bad swelling or bruising. I feel 110% better since I had them taken out! I used to get killer headaches and mouthaches when they were still there.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled out. They put me under and extracted them. No gowns or anything. Just a bib like the dentist.

I had a very swollen and bruised face for a week and a lot of pain. But I am a wuss! I have lttle to no tolerance for pain.

ramanth
02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I've had lots of teeth pulled. It wasn't so bad as far as I can remember because it was done many many years ago. :)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

(To be honest, I hated the needle used to numb the gums more than the actual pulling)