PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to keep kitties in...

halliecat
02-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I had not heard about this until recently. My sister who lives in RI had a kitty disappear under mysterious circumstances. Brother in law let kitty out one night and she never came back. Several other cats and dogs from around the neighborhood have also disappeared. They think all these animals were eaten by COYOTES! Several packs have been spotted. It is a fairly urban area and I didn't think there were coyotes on the East coast, but apparently there are.

Has anyone else heard of this?

slick
02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I live in the city and there are coyotes EVERYWHERE!!!!! There is a pack that lives 1/2 block from my apartment in a wooded area and in the early morning hours you can always see 1 or 2 trotting down the street. I know of a few people have lost dogs to them. It's very sad :(

catland
02-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I have a friend who lives in the San Diego area and she keeps her cats indoors for this reason.

Glacier
02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Happens all the time around where i live...coyotes & foxes takes lots of outdoor cats and smaller dogs.

This winter 13 dogs have been taken by wolves in my area--that's just the confirmed wolf kills, many others have simply vanished. The wolves have come into musher's dog yards, people's fences. It's not just roaming, loose dogs this year. Last week my neighbor told me he caught three wolves "arguing" with his dogs through his fence at 3am. :eek:

I think these things will continue to happen and happen more often as humans continue to encroach on wild animals' territory.

jazzcat
02-10-2004, 10:46 PM
When my brother and his family moved from Boston to IL a few years ago they let their pet sitter take their cat because she was an indoor/outdoor cat and they were told by their realtor in IL that coyotes usually kill outdoor cats in the area they were moving to.

They hated to leave Baby but she will not stay inside for long and they didn't want anything to happen to her. The lady who took her sends them pictures of her often. She was a stray that showed up at their house when they lived in FL.

moosmom
02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Yes, I have heard of this. When I lived in CT, my best friend lost her cat, a beautiful long haird tuxie, to coyotes. She let him out one night and he never came back.

Coyotes hunt at night in pairs. One chases the animal while the other one lies in wait.

As my Dad always said, nature is cruel.

catmandu
02-11-2004, 09:08 AM
I dont personally think that Nature is cruel , it is the survival of the fittest! But I keep my Cats in , as there are Possums and the occasional badger around here. But it is way too cold for Coyotes , thank God!

Glacier
02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
But it is way too cold for Coyotes , thank God!

Well, you may not have them in your area, but there is no such thing as too cold for coyotes. It doesn't get much colder than where I live and we have thousands of coyotes in the Territory.

K & L
02-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Yep! Happens here in AZ all the time!

CatDad
02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
The more that people move into the animals habitats the more this will happen.

Here in the out lying suburbs of Seattle we get all sorts of animal attacks. Everything from Bears to courgars. I saw it in Denver too.

If you move into there home you have to expect them to come see what you are up to.

ramanth
02-11-2004, 11:08 AM
We have coyotes around here too. Seen them watching me and Kia while we are out on walks.