PDA

View Full Version : Marigold is miserable.... :(

Cookiebaker
02-10-2004, 06:51 AM
I am so sad right now. :(

Marigold still goes into heat (yes she is spayed!!!) but the vet thinks that there was some ovarian tissue left behind that provides the hormones for her to keep going into heat.

I was so happy because in December she only briefly went into heat for a couple of days. WELL, she's back into heat now. And it is BAD! She is so unbearable and wants OUT! We have to watch so careful because she wants to zoom out the door on a second's notice. It has only been 0-15 degrees out the last couple of days, and I do NOT want her going out there.

Meanwhile, she just lays on the steps and MERROOOOOWS at the top of her lungs. ALL night LONG! :eek: So pitiful. :(

Killearn Kitties
02-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Aww, poor Marigold. How often does that happen? Is there nothing they can do for her?

catcrazylady
02-10-2004, 07:37 AM
I feel sorry for Marigold but the majority of my pity goes out to you! It's hard enough watching them go through that but it doesn't take long before it drives you insane!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif It's such a shame that all of you have to go through this!
Didn't you say before that even if they did surgery again they may not be able to find the ovarian tissue that was missed?

jazzcat
02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Poor thing.:(

catnapper
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Can they give her some hormones to help? Seriously! They give humans hormones, why not cats?

I've never had female cats, so I have no idea how bad the noise could be, but I can certainly imagine:eek: I hope it doesn't last long before she's back to normal.

Glacier
02-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Can your vet remove the tissue left behind? My friend's cat had the same problem and had the ovarian tissue removed--problem solved, happy kitty again. The vet even did the surgery for free since he was the one who misses the ovary tissue!

kimlovescats
02-10-2004, 11:19 AM
That is so awful ... poor Marigold, and poor YOU!!! Gee, can't the vet do something! Whoever did the original spaying needs to come forward to fix thing!!!! :confused:

catmandu
02-10-2004, 11:40 AM
The vet should redo the Sugery , no charge , as obviously the operation was not done right , the first time. I have had several Cats spayed , and if the procedure is done correctly , then this just does not happen! I would get in touch with your vet ASAP!

Cookiebaker
02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. :)

We have very carefully gone over our different options, and have concluded that it really is best to leave it alone. :(

Basically, our different options are thus:

1. Take her back to the original person and ask for the surgery to be redone. We did this, and he refused saying that it wasn't life threatening. He offered to open her back up if we were willing to pay; but I DO NOT TRUST HIM AT ALL. If we paid for the surgery, I wanted to take her to somebody I did trust.

2. Hormones. Our vet went over this option with us, but she said that hormones in cats are so delicate, it is so easy for them to get way wacked out.

3. Have our regular vet open her back up. They are willing to do this, but they equated it to "a needle in a haystack" and chances are very high that they could not find it. Besides that, the risk of major surgery (ie infection, etc) was not worth it.

So, we made the educated decision to let her be. Please don't think that we are neglectful or anything like that. We love her so much, and it totally isn't about the $ of another spay job.

It's just that days like today are so hard for me to watch her. :( It only happens 1-2 times a year, which makes me thankful for all the times that she is normal!

bisi.cat
02-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Oh poor baby, Marigold...the options you have all don't sound very promising...I am so sorry for your little darling!!!

Anyway, I'll send some positive thoughts to Marigold!!!

sasvermont
02-11-2004, 05:33 AM
I think there may be another answer. A date!

Just kidding. It must be hell to have her howling all the time while she revisits the heat thing! Maybe a visit outside would do her some good. What are the chances of her getting pregnant? Slight?

You could always leave a little heated shelter outside, if she does not return right away or over night.

I think I would reconsider looking for that needle in her haystack.
;)

catnapper
02-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok, those choices stink. Can I have option 4 please?;)

Can you take this original vet to small claims court? You paid him for a service that was not complete or to your satisfaction. He can either pay for you to go to a vet that you trust for the surgery to be rectified or do it himself - at least this is what I forsee the judge ruling. I'd ask the judge to press for him paying a reputable vet since you've lost all trust in him a) clinically and technically and b) as a human being whom you'd respect an honest answer from c) would you be able to believe he rectified a surgery he has flat-out stated he does not want to do.

Who knows, you could get an animal loving judge that wants to send him to jail for a few days for animal neglect and owner emotional abuse!:D After all, he did neglect to get all of the tissue and you are certainly being emotionally challenged right now listening to her!:D :D

I hope she's feeling better!

ramanth
02-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Have you tried Feliway? I wonder if that would help calm her. Maybe even put her on a harness and leash and let her cool off outside under supervision. :)

Poor Marigold. I remember how loud Zam was before I got her fixed. Yeesh! :( :o :)

Feel better soon you darling Calico.

catland
02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I've heard that this can happen, so I don't know if it can really be considered negligence.

One possible solution. I've heard that you can use a q-tip to <ahem> - stimulate the cat - this way she thinks that she has "mated" and goes out of heat.

Maybe this is something you can ask a vet about.:o

Miss Meow
02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Poor Marigold!

It's so sad when they go all crazy but don't understand why.

Kirsten
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Poor sweet Marigold...

I think with all these options you have, you made the best choice. Poor little girl! :(

Kirsten

CatDad
02-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Porr Marigold.

I hope she feels better soon, and is a happy kitty again.