PDA

View Full Version : can i take my dog w/ me?

lute
02-09-2004, 06:15 PM
if i take a small dog in one of those dog bags can i take it in like the mall or places like that??? i see it in movies and on TV. i just didnt know ifi couldnt do that.

CathyBogart
02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
It depends on the store. Most won't argue, but a few will. :)

aly
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
You can't go anywhere that serves food due to health regulations. I do know you can go to Home Depot!

Kfamr
02-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by aly
You can't go anywhere that serves food due to health regulations. I do know you can go to Home Depot!

Can you walk the dogs in there, or do they have to be small enough to be in a dog carrier?

catnapper
02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I've taken Pouncer into the craft store loads of times (its next to Petco and I combine two trips in one) and nobody but a cranky picture framer complained. In fact a lot of people walked up and oohed and ahhed over Pouncer. I can't see how a dog would be different... especially if they're in a nice bag like Bruiser in Legally Blonde!

tutebugs
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Hmm, my dog's a service dog so I can take him anywhere but I've wondered myself if it's not a service animal if you can take it places with you.

moosmom
02-09-2004, 08:30 PM
I've taken MooShoo (my Sphynx) into Sam's Club a couple of times, but then I was stopped because they DO sell food. The only place I take him now is the pet stores, and only when it's warm enough out.

We had a woman bring in her Chihuahua into Bed, Bath & Beyond. Another customer complained. I asked our manager and he said no it wasn't okay because we do sell food as well, and could be cited by the Health Department. Only service dogs are allowed. He said that the woman with the dog has been in before and spoken to. They talked to her again and she hasn't been in since.

wolf_Q
02-09-2004, 08:39 PM
When Nebo was 8 weeks old I took him *everywhere* in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on our trip. He went in all the shops, lodges, etc...even Kmart lol. Of course he was only 10 lbs of fuzzy cuteness then, and nobody could resist him. ;) Somehow I don't think I'd get so far with the almost 60 lb dog he is now.

When I went on a trip last summer we had to take him everywhere. So when we'd go out to eat we just had to do the fast food thing and either eat in the car our eat outside. I tied him to the table and didn't have any problems.

Most places don't appreciate it, and like others said, you could really get in trouble if the place sells food.

I've heard that Home Depot allows dogs also, but I've yet to try it for myself. The only dog I've seen in there was a small chi mix.

Maybe if you had one of those soft carriers with the strap and kept him inside they wouldn't mind or notice, I don't know.

wolfie
02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Generally, if your pup is small enough to be carried, no one really minds. I've even seen someone carrying a puppy in the market! My mom has brought her Shih Tzu mix Cocoa everywhere, and no one has ever said anything.

Twisterdog
02-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Dogs are not allowed in any stores here. The only exception is Ace Hardware and Hastings, because they let the humane society do mobile adoption days there. But, it's just the humane society's dogs, not the public's dogs. Ace Hardware also lets the humane society have a Santa Paws fundraiser there, and then the public can bring dogs in for pictures.

I suppose the two pet stores here might not object, although I've never asked and never seen any dogs in there.

lovemyshiba
02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I work in a restaurant, and I regularly see 2 labs come in with their humans, but they are service dogs. Some of the other customers look at them funny, but they are allowed to be there, since they have a job to do.
At our WalMart here, there is a woman who works at night, and she is in a wheelchair. Her lab works with her every night.
Of course, those are exceptions.

At the last restaurant I worked at , we had an outdoor dining area. Some customers tried to sneak in their small dog, but we found it. We asked them to remove the dog from the property, as it was a health code violation, and they got very upset, saying it was outside anyway, what's the big deal? The problem was it was still our property, and the dog couldn't be there.

I saw a woman with an American Eskimo at the Gap one day. She was standing near the door, waiting for her daughter, and no one said anything. At another shop downtown, the one girl who worked there brought her rottie with her every day--he just laid back near the counter and slept most of the day. There is no food sold in there though.

Mine only go to the petstores--I'm afraid someone may notice me walking around the mall with my rottie;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-10-2004, 05:18 AM
I may not want to come back to the US after being in Germany and Europe! Drake is allowed EVERYWHERE. Well, except for the grocery store. Drake has been out dining with Andrew and I several times and has frequented most of the cafes in the Marktplatz. He goes clothes and shoe shopping with me as well! He is even allowed on buses and trains! He went to Heidelberg this past weekend with us and toured a castle built in 40 AD!!

That is not the case in America! We have even been to beaches that posted signs that dogs couldn't be there. I didn' listen to them and took Drake anyway :)

I can't wait to take him all over Europe with me. We are going to have so much fun!!

anna_66
02-10-2004, 05:45 AM
You are so lucky Souraya!

Our Home Depot allows dogs (I asked), but only if they are well behaved. We've also taken Angus car shopping with us!
I've really never tried to take any of my shopping, just don't think they'd want a 110 rottie or one of my hairy girls in their stores:p

Logan
02-10-2004, 08:11 AM
I saw a lady in the mall one day, recently, who had a little carrier, with her baby (puppy) in it. We were in a shoe store. No one seemed to have a problem with it. But I could never do that with any of mine! I'd like to go to Germany and take them to dinner with me!!! :p

ramanth
02-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Andy and I run to Home Depot a lot and I've always waited in the car with Kia or we'd leave her home. I'm going to find out if she can go in the local ones! :)

lute
02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
thanks for the replies!

i would use one of those soft carriers.

lovemyshiba
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
We've also taken Angus car shopping with us!

How could I forget?? My husband works for Honda, and I bring the dogs down there all the time!! Our vet is right next door, so they all visit at least once a year.
They have people bringing their dogs in all the time--one woman brings her poodle, Manda Lyn, with her every time she comes in--they were just in last week!!!

One of the men who works in service breeds min pins. When they are still tiny, he brings the mother and pups in so he can keep an eye on them all day!! They're so small, they just fit inside of a small carrier. The last litter he had, I went to see, and the mother was NOT happy with me. I didn't try to touch her pups or anything, but she certainly wasn't going to let me near them!!

jenfer
02-10-2004, 03:21 PM
We brought Gigi to the mall once. We wrapped her in a towel. And she was sleeping most of the time unless people discovered her and "oooh and ahhh" all over her and she loved the attention. And of course I always bring her to PetsMart and we went to Staple and Home Depot the other time and it was fine. I carried her though both time.

lute
02-10-2004, 07:07 PM
jenfer- Gigi is so cute!

jenfer
02-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by lute
jenfer- Gigi is so cute!

Thanks. :D

Karen
02-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I know dogs are allowed in Home Depot - I met two Westies that way one night. They ended up in line behind me after going Yip!.......Yip! (not too loud, but every few seconds) all through the store. They did ride in the woman's cart (lovely owner) and we chuckled over their Yip! Yip! as she said. "Yes, if you can't stand barking, a Westie is not for you!" ;)

tomkatzid
02-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I've seen dogs several time in a cart at Wal Mart. And look at all the food they sell.
Katz

veegan
02-11-2004, 12:04 AM
yeah home depot used to always allow dogs but just recently, I believe within the last few months or so, they now have signs posted on the doors saying no dogs allowed!!! >:O I am really bummed that so many places dont allow dogs. I have seen a few dogs in fred meyer, including a white standard poodle! haha but I dont think they really like it since they sell food in 2/3 of the store! I have seen a few dogs at hollywood video, and I brought Brock in the other night and one of the employees came rushing over to visit. :) and Ive taken my friends' golden into the same store with no problems. both times the store wasnt busy at all, I dont think any other customers were there actually. but Ive never asked if it was okay or not.. I usually just see puppies at the mall, but once I saw a rottie! he wasnt wearing a service jacket or anything, he was just there with his family and his dad was holding his leash and pushing a stroller! Id really love to be able to bring Brock in the mall (esp in the summer- cant leave him in the car and hate to leave him at home all the time!) but I have no idea if it is okay or not. I should ask one of these days!

lute
02-11-2004, 08:45 AM
i dont knw what is different abut the place you people live and where i live,but i have NEVER seen a dog in a store(exept petstores) at all here.....maybe i should be the one to start!:D

dappledoxie
02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
When I first got Claire I put her in my purse one day, dumped all my stuff out and put my money in my pocket, ran into Wal-Mart, got what I needed and went home. I take her to PetsMart lots and she just loves it, I really wish I could take her everywhere! She just loves people so much I can't keep her still, she is a wiggle worm when people are around, lol!