PDA

View Full Version : I think we've had a big breakthrough with Tommy's object fear

K9soul
02-09-2004, 03:44 PM
A few days ago, David was sitting at the table looking at a book and absently giving Tommy scratches. He got up, holding the book, and as usual when an object is being held up close to Tommy, he fled cringing. David sat back down, and proceeded to urge Tommy to come closer and sniff the book, showing it to him, then showing it to Tasha who was befuddled as to what the big deal was about a book, and praising and praising Tommy. He would get up and start acting silly with the book getting the dogs excited. Every time Tommy retreated, he'd sit back down and work his way back up to standing again.

He worked with this a good 30+ minutes. I was right there adding my praise and support too. We finally got to the point where David could get up and hold the book in the air and Tommy just watched curiously, seeing what crazy thing Dad would do next with it.

Ever since then, I've been holding stuff out to him constantly, any and every object I happen to be picking up. A remote, a dumbell weight, a soda can, just whatever. Today, a little while ago, for the first time I held out something to him that he was unfamiliar with, and he didn't back away or cringe! He cautiously snuffled it! I'm going to keep on with showing him things, but I am so thrilled that we have finally made a breakthrough! I just had to share. :D

robinh
02-09-2004, 03:50 PM
That is fantastic! With love and patience you are definitely making progress.

Give him a hug from me for being such a brave boy!
:D

wolfie
02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
That's great!!! What happened to him in the first place to make him afraid, or was he just always like that?

Glad you are able to help him get over his fear though! :)

K9soul
02-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
What happened to him in the first place to make him afraid, or was he just always like that?

He was a rescue golden who came from a bad home and we believe he was hit with objects. It's really not natural for a golden to be so timid unless they've had a bad experience. He was six months old when we got him, but it was really strongly imprinted on him about any object being held above him being a fearful situation.

wolfie
02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh, that's sad :( - and especially being so young it's even harder to help 'unlearn' his fear. It must be happy for everyone to be able to get him to trust objects. Good thing you came along to help him! :)

catnapper
02-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
He was a rescue golden who came from a bad home and we believe he was hit with objects. It's really not natural for a golden to be so timid unless they've had a bad experience. He was six months old when we got him, but it was really strongly imprinted on him about any object being held above him being a fearful situation.

My mom has a rescued dog of undetermined pedigree. She's had Addie for countless years and to this day, anybody visiting the house (especially young men) must leave their keys in the vestibule... and never ever bring them into the house where Addie can see them. She will attack - and by attack, I mean full-fledge you'll need stitches attack. Only thing that makes sense is that a young man beat her reguarly and wore his keys on a chain clipped to his belt.

I hope that this breakthrough is going to last and that he has finally realized that is new hme is loving and caring and would never hurt him.

dukedogsmom
02-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Poor Tommy. That's how old Duke was when he got abused, too. It's hard to make them forget but with your love and patience, I'm sure he'll keep doing a lot better.

CathyBogart
02-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Such quick progress! That's WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for both of you!!

GoldenRetrLuver
02-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Poor Tommy. :(
I'm glad to hear he's doing MUCH better!

shais_mom
02-09-2004, 10:37 PM
YEAA! for sweet Brave Tommy!!!
My sister has a springer spaniel mix that will be 5 years old and they got him when he was about 6 mos old from the Humane Soc and he is terrified of my dad. My dad has never ever done anything to him the only thing we can think of is that Scooby was abused by someone who looked or sounded like him before the shelter.
:(

RobiLee
02-10-2004, 07:50 AM
This is great news! Tommy is so lucky to have such patient folks. Of course I know that you feel like you are the lucky ones ;)

I'm so proud of you, Tommy!

Robin :)