PDA

View Full Version : New addition

TXUKES
02-09-2004, 09:55 AM
I am the proud owner of two adorable cats that love me to bits and of course the feeling is mutual.

I decided to adopt another kitty yesterda but am feeling very guilt that I am going to upset my two other cats. So far there has been a lot of hissing and snarling from all three cats and I really am worried that it just isn't going to work? Does anyone have any experience on how easy/quick or difficult this is going to be.

I am beginning to think I shouldn't have done it but I know how happy my cats are in this home and feel I can offer the home to another one but I really don't want to lose my other two cats because of it.

jenluckenbach
02-09-2004, 10:08 AM
WELCOME!!!!!

I bet we all have had the feeling at one time or another that a new addition was a mistake, but trust me, with time, patience and a proper introduction, all should end up just fine.

First, a new addition should NOT be introduced to the resident animals immediately. They need to be able to get a feeling for its new home and the people who live there first. Too much stimulus at the onset can be very unnerving.

The very best thing is to give the newcomer access to only one room. Have all the essentials for him there and let him settle in. The cats will be aware of the presence of a stranger but there will be no direct contact at first.

As for a time frame, that will vary from cat to cat. Know that I have experienced everything from an INSTANT bond to one that took days, weeks, months and even a year for some cats to feel totally at ease.

Best of luck.

TXUKES
02-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I think like all new parents I am probably more nervous than the cats. I have given him the laundry room but he does spend a lot of time meowing ...which seems toupset the other two - still it is only day one and I knew it wouldn't happen over night....nice to have some support though. Thank you.

catcrazylady
02-09-2004, 10:58 AM
You just got the best advice from a pro!!! Jen knows all about this stuff! She is so right about patience.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

OH! Welcome to PT!!!

catlover4ever
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
WELCOME!!! Jen is right, I think we have all felt that way at one time or another. I look forward to hearing more and hopefully seeing a few pictures of your kitties. --- Meg

CatDad
02-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Welcome to PT, happy you are here.:D

Jen gave you all the good basics. There are other things that can be done, but most of them are if you have problems.

The hissing, growling and even occasional tumble are all normal. There are just getting to know each other and establishing a chain of command, do to speak.

I would let the new kitty settle in and then depending on how you feel about it, some supervised meetings.

There are no hard and fast rules, I only wish there were.;) It is more of, get an idea of what might happen then see what does.

Let us know how it is going, and please feel free to ask for advice or reassurance if you need it.

slick
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. Looks like you've gotten the best advice so far. Can't wait to see pictures. :)

rg_girlca
02-09-2004, 03:45 PM
A warm welcome To PT TXUKES. I'm sure you're going to love it here.
When my son moved back home with his cat,(Sades) I had to make an intro to my three cats plus the dog. After of few days of Sades being here, in my sons room, I put him in the cat carrier and brought him out to the living room and put him down on the floor. My three cautiously surrounded the carrier and of course there was some hissing and growling. I kept him there for about half an hour then put him back in the room. I did this for about a week and each day I would leave him out, but still in the carrier,
longer. Then by the end of the week, the door of the carrier was left open and out he came. Fortunately for me, it went fairly well.
Of course there was some hissing and growling, but that was about it.
I wish you the best of luck and hope to see some pictures of your furbabies.

Felicia's Mom
02-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I am sure you will love it here. Hope to see pictures.:)

kimlovescats
02-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk ... can't wait to meet your 3 kitties!:)

catmandu
02-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Jen , is right ,as usual ,ans the New Cat should be kept in a seperate room , and gradually allowed to mingle with the other Cats , gradually to avoid the resident Cats feeling jealous! Then you , if you can , switch rooms , so they are familiar with the different scent! Good Luck , from the Found Cats!

catnapper
02-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Welcome! You've gotten wonderful adice so far and soon you'll cats will be the 3 Musketeers! I hope you love this place like we all do! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Killearn Kitties
02-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I hope all goes well with the introductions. I have nothing to add to what has been said already, but has anyone mentioned that we are very fond of picutres here? :D :D

Miss Meow
02-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! :)

Good luck with the introductions. You are in safe hands with the advice already given, so I will just wish you luck and hope for a smooth transition.

Randi
02-11-2004, 06:51 AM
I have only got one cat, so I can't give you any advise, but several members have more than one, so you'll get lots of tips. ;)

Welcome to PT! :D

Ps. Where in UK do you come from? I live with John (Jonza) in Denmark, he's from Berkshire.