PDA

View Full Version : Did you grow up in the 80's?

shais_mom
02-09-2004, 01:12 AM
How many do YOU remember??? ;)
YOU KNOW YOU GREW UP IN THE 80's or early 90's IF-

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE."
2. You watched the Pound Puppies.
3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"
4. You wore biker shorts under your skirts and felt stylish.
5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.
6. You owned those lil Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
7. You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey on Blossom.
8. Two words: M.C. Hammer
9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock".
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars.
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales".
12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on the big screen.
15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.
16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in knot on the side.
17. You played the game "MASH"
18. You wore Jordache jean jacket and you were proud of it.
19. L.A. Gear....need I say more?
20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM" in Kindergarten. (I know you remember our barbie doll Jem and the rockers...haha)
21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing" and all the Ramona books.
22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF"
23. You wanted to be a Goonie.
24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing.
25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off...
26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
27. You took Lunch Pails to school.
28. You remember! the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
29. You still get the urge to! say "NOT" after very sentence.
30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.
32. You thought Sheera and He-Man should hook up.
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged friendship bracelets.
34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes.
35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"
36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were in-line skates.
38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.
40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
41. You go through this nodding your head in agreement.
42. You remember Popples.
43. "Don't worry, be happy"
44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks. (I know we did this...colored socks was our preference!)
45. You wore socks scrunched down.
46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK"
47. You remember boom boxes vs. cd players
48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.
49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!!"
50. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony Tales"
51. You thought Doogie Howser was hot.
52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool.
54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell", the ORIGINAL class.
55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THRU THE HEART.
56. You just sang those words to yourself.
57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.
58.You cut your t-shirts in half and wore it with your homemade Levi shorts..
59. You remember when mullets were cool!
60. You had a mullet! and you still do!!
61. You still sing "We are the World"
62. You "Pegged" your pants ritually (I think this might mean tight rolled jeans! Somebody still does!!!!)

You're still singing shot through the heart in your head arent you!!!

Ok out of 62 I got 50!!!!

popcornbird
02-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Those slap bracelets! :eek: I had a whole collection of those! I was *crazy* about them. Everyone at school had them (in the mid 90s though). Then, they got banned...............yes I remember that one *very* well. LOL! Whenever we went to the store, I wanted another slap bracelet. :p

I don't remember too many of these, but I remember quite a few. I wasn't born until the mid-80's, and was very very young until the 90's, so I guess I was too young to remember it all..........BUT, I do remember a few of those things quite clearly.

Crikit
02-09-2004, 01:26 AM
What do they mean by saying when the new kids were cool? THEY STILL ARE!

Sad thing really most of this list applied and really still applies to me...but remember:

"Don't say that never say that, goonies never say die."

"but I'm not a goonie"

"that's right, I forgot, but don't you realize. The next time we see sky it will be in another town, the next time we take a test it will be in another school. Our parents they want what's best for us, but it's their time, their time up there. It's our time, our time down here...that all changes the minute we go up in Troy's bucket."

and Jem is truly outragous, truly truly truly outragous, woah Jem her musics contagious, outragous...

5....4....3.....2....STARE!!!!!!!!! Who's that coming from somewhere up in the sky...

I'll leave you with this thought,

Let the music play, worry for another day...down in Fraggle Rock!

zippy-kat
02-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Crikit

and Jem is truly outragous, truly truly truly outragous, woah Jem her musics contagious, outragous...

the fore-runner for P!nk?

Crikit
02-09-2004, 01:35 AM
ewww ewww just remembered something...

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a mintue just to tell you right here about how I became the prince of a town called bel-air.

In West Philadelphia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chilling out, relaxing acting all cool, shooting some b-ball outside of school. When a couple of guys who were to no good started making trouble in the neighbourhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, said your moving to your auntie and uncles in bel-air.

I whistled for a cab and when it got near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror, if anything I thought that this cab was rare but I thought nah forget it yo home ot bel-air.

We pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby yo homes smell you later. Looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.

Uabassoon
02-09-2004, 03:12 AM

I have a funny (well, amusing) story about hypercolor shirts. I of course had one because they were so cool. Well shortly after I bought it our housekeeper came over and was ironing. She had never seen a hypercolor shirt before, so she freaked out when my pink shirt turned white after she ironed it! She was so confused and she ran up to my mom so scared because she thought that she had ruined my shirt and she couldn't understand how my pink shirt had turned white!

lovemyshiba
02-09-2004, 07:18 AM
OMG:)

Those are so funny!!!

Most of them apply, but I don't know what Oregon Trail Day is??:confused:

I do, however, know all about wearing duplicate socks, pegging my jeans, the Care Bear Stare, Jem, wearing biker shorts under my school uniform, Blossom, and all of that other good stuff.

But, like Tracy, I have to ask, what do you mean when the new kids on the block were cool?? Aren't they still;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

But, like Tracy, I have to ask, what do you mean when the new kids on the block were cool?? Aren't they still;)

LMAO!!

I remember those days very well!! He!He!He!

Christiansmommy
02-09-2004, 07:34 AM
ewww ewww just remembered something...

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a mintue just to tell you right here about how I became the prince of a town called bel-air.

In West Philadelphia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chilling out, relaxing acting all cool, shooting some b-ball outside of school. When a couple of guys who were to no good started making trouble in the neighbourhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, said your moving to your auntie and uncles in bel-air.

I whistled for a cab and when it got near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror, if anything I thought that this cab was rare but I thought nah forget it yo home ot bel-air.

We pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby yo homes smell you later. Looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.

I remember this word for word too, and sang it in my head while i was reading ths !! LOL!!! hahahha

So many of these brought back a ton of memories.

Those were the days when we were young, innocent and had no responsibilities, other than, making sure we were at home before the street lights went out on a hot summer night...after collecting lightning bugs! :)

ramanth
02-09-2004, 08:34 AM
I remember so many of those, it's scary!!

And I didn't have a mullet.... BUT ANDY DID!!! ;) :D LOL!!

I still have my hypercolor shirt and all my 'My Little Ponies'. :D

NKOTB baby!! Donnie was my fave. :p

I admit to 59 of the 62.

K9soul
02-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I was born in '74 so the 80s and early 90s were truly my "grow-up" era. I definitely remember MANY of those things listed. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :D

Oh, and this: "12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons."

I say AMEN to that one!

Truffles
02-09-2004, 10:40 AM
i loved the 80's music still do.anyway guess you can say i grew up in tthe 80's and 90's ;) but it was a hard time for me as well i had to put up w/ my 3 older brothers and over protective parents:p the worst,but the 80's were awsome but i wouldn't want to turn back time mainly because my seizures were out of control :rolleyes: take care :)

marylyn

Miss Meow
02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
4. You wore biker shorts under your skirts and felt stylish.

I never did that, but I just got visual images of Madonna, Banarama and the Go Gos! :D

catnapper
02-09-2004, 02:49 PM
All I know is that I was totallt crazy about Cabbage Patch Dolls. I have books filled with drawings I did of them in 5th grade!

As for the side pony tail... I did that all the itme and my head hurt for hours after I pulled it out. I actually wore it that way for the prom! And my dress was lavender with big puffy sleeves and a bow in the back!

Ahh, what on Earth were we thinking?

slick
02-09-2004, 02:52 PM
13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
:D :D I used to call these "party knobs"....

lovemyshiba
02-09-2004, 03:26 PM
The Baby Sitters Club!!! I loved those books!! I had them all.
Without looking it up, I know there was a Stacy, Claudia, and I think Kristy.

This isn't on there, but does anyone else remember the Sweet Valley Twins books? I think their names were Jessica and Elizabeth--and they rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, who had the NKOTB Christmas album?
I did "have a funky, funky Christmas" was my fave!!!!!

How cheesy were we????

I had tons of cabbage patch kids, a bunch of pound puppies, and my favorite Poppel was the yellow one (why do I think his name was Chip?)

55 and 56 cracked me up too!!!!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
How many do YOU remember??? ;)
YOU KNOW YOU GREW UP IN THE 80's or early 90's IF-

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales".
12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
17. You played the game "MASH"
18. You wore Jordache jean jacket and you were proud of it.
21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing" and all the Ramona books.
23. You wanted to be a Goonie.
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged friendship bracelets.
35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"
42. You remember Popples.
46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK"
48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.
50. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony Tales"
53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool.
55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THRU THE HEART.
56. You just sang those words to yourself.

You're still singing shot through the heart in your head arent you!!!

Ok out of 62 I got 50!!!!

OMG! BON JOVI! AH! I LOVE THAT SONG!

Ok, I was born in 88 and I had that many! Eeps..

mugsy
02-09-2004, 05:51 PM
I did a lot of those and I grew up in the 70s. I was born in '61, so the 80s were my college years and early teaching years, but, I guess I just hadn't grown up! lol

Crikit
02-09-2004, 05:57 PM

And, who had the NKOTB Christmas album?
I did "have a funky, funky Christmas" was my fave!!!!!

That was the coolest song, I still remember the whole part that Joey *SIGH* did in his really bad english accent it was great, just great!

And Emily the Oregon Trail was a computer game about well going across the oregon trail it was acutually kind of fun for an educational game...I always liked it when someone in my "family" got sick and died and then I could write a gravestone for them..hehehehe.

I had a skip it, but well I really sucked at it, that and that pogo ball thingy. I was so much better at playing Mutant turtles and stuff like that. Mikey was my fave!

Oh and if anyone is wondering...I have figured out why Smurfette is the only female smurf but it's not safe to discuss it here...the cows might hear it and report it to the yeknoms.

micki76
02-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh and if anyone is wondering...I have figured out why Smurfette is the only female smurf but it's not safe to discuss it here...the cows might hear it and report it to the yeknoms.

Ok. I know you really can't discuss it here, but does it involve dragons? :eek:

lovemyshiba
02-09-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't know why Smurfette was the only female, but I bet she had a smurfin' good time!!!!

I couldn't do the skip it either--but I ruled on the pogo ball!!!

How about birthday parties at roller rinks!!!!:)

Crikit
02-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Ok. I know you really can't discuss it here, but does it involve dragons? :eek:

Why yes yes it does ;)

Anyone else remember Ziggy piggy?

Cincy'sMom
02-09-2004, 07:50 PM

This isn't on there, but does anyone else remember the Sweet Valley Twins books? I think their names were Jessica and Elizabeth--and they rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High...there was a time I had read them all!!!

I think I can say guilty to most of those :)

Zippy Piggy I remember was from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...a most excellent movie (Party on, Dude!)

micki76
02-09-2004, 08:04 PM
How 'bout Doug and Bob McKenzie? Anyone remember them or SCTV? LOL, I thought they were too funny.

Crikit
02-09-2004, 08:18 PM
How 'bout Doug and Bob McKenzie? Anyone remember them or SCTV? LOL, I thought they were too funny.

They are a Canadian instutution EH!

CatDad
02-09-2004, 08:45 PM
I loved that show. I even remember the movie.:D

I was looking thourgh the list and I realized that this was the tail end of my youger years. I remeber most of that list though.

Then I realized that I am actually a child of the 70's and felt really old.:eek::D

wolf_Q
02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I'll admit to the following...:o

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE."
2. You watched the Pound Puppies. Still have several stuffed pound puppies and the Pound Puppies Christmas on a VHS tape.
7. You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey on Blossom. Not only do I remember that I still do the whole Joey "woah" sometimes. :o
8. Two words: M.C. Hammer
9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock".
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales". I can't sing all of it but I remember watching that snow
13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head. Both sides, and pretended I was a puppy
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on the big screen. Maybe? I have it on DVD lmao...it was free!
15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. I totally remember that game!!
16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in knot on the side. Yep I had several
23. You wanted to be a Goonie. Actually I only saw that movie this year, but I do want to be a Goonie now! :D
24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing.
27. You took Lunch Pails to school.
28. You remember! the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets. Oh yeah, I had all sorts of those! I bet I still have them!
32. You thought Sheera and He-Man should hook up. Actually I didn't watch that show I just wanted my brother's green and orange tiger toy.
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged friendship bracelets. Ah, if only that was true ;)
34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. Yes I had purple ones and I lost them in the ditch
37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were in-line skates.
38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide. We still have one of those too. :o
42. You remember Popples. I still have a Popple! It's yellow :D
48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies. We have a Gremlins backpack in the basement!
50. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony Tales" I have a large bag full of My Little Ponies still.
53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool. I remember them, but I never liked them...My sister was *obsessed*
54. "Saved By the Bell", the ORIGINAL class.
57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird. My brother had a little hand held game.
59. You remember when mullets were cool!
61. You still sing "We are the World"

Moose
02-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Oh man...this thread makes me feel old! :p:D:p

I remember just about everything on that list!!!

cloverfdx
02-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Oh how sad, i remember about 95% of those listed. i was born in '81.

LOL i love the Karate Kid , Mr Miagi (SP?) rocks :D

and a few more to add to the list the Back To The Future trilogy and also the Ghost Busters.

*Sighs*

Thankyou so much for sharing that :D

lovemyshiba
02-10-2004, 10:05 AM
The one about Duck Tales cracks me up too. We were just talking about that show at work last week, and we were dying trying to think of Scrooge's nemesis' name. Of course, I came home and looked it up!!
We were talking about the Gummy Bears cartoon too--remember it?? "Gummy Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere"

One guy at work was saying how the gummy bears was tough cause it was on right at 3, and he always had to run from the bus to catch it--we were cracking up, because we all did the same thing!!!!:D