PDA

View Full Version : US and Australian Free Trade Agreeement

Miss Meow
02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
It's an election year for both countries so the negotiations are important. Let's look at some highlights ...

America has opened up the trade for 500 tonnes of tariff-free peanuts next year: according to my three brain cells and calculator thingy, that's about one-quarter of a peanut each. Don't eat it all at once!

The agreement ensures that there can be Australian voices and stories on audiovisual and broadcasting services, now and in the future. Darn, I wanted the Crocodile Man removed from my TV screen permanently.

America has removed the 35 per cent tariff on canned tuna, opening up the market for Australian tuna. Hate to tell you guys, but every can of tuna I've met at the supermarket has 'Product of Thailand' written on the side. Read the labels carefully if you're offered Australian tuna!

Australia's sugar export quota of 87,000 tonnes is unchanged. I don't know if we are allowed to export toothbrushes - that's a lot of sugar, kiddies.

America has removed the tariff on oranges. This cracks me up because our supermarkets are stocking oranges with 'Product of California' stickers. How about we keep our oranges and you keep yours, and the citizens get free air tickets for all the space saved on the cargo planes!

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us_fta/outcomes/01_overview.html

;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Would you mind terribly NOT sending us your greasy wool? Or at least clean it first????:D ;) :D

Cataholic
02-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I so totally wish I had something funny to say back, but, alas, I don't. Your commentary was quite amusing.

RICHARD
02-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

America has opened up the trade for 500 tonnes of tariff-free peanuts next year

What's a "tonne"?

:confused:

And what are peanuts without toffee?;)

catland
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
What's a "tonne"?

:confused:

I believe its Aussie speak for "a-whole-lotta";)

captain
02-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Nicole,

Bravo ...........:D

Miss Meow
02-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
What's a "tonne"?

Once shelled, barely enough for watching a Super Bowl game at home ;)

RICHARD
02-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Once shelled, barely enough for watching a Super Bowl game at home ;)

All that work and nothing to show for it......

Just like artichokes???:)