PDA

View Full Version : ..::*Adding Fish*::..

whalelover
02-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi, I have a ten gallon tank, with three convict cichilds. Their not very big yet, two of them are about the size of half your finger then the other one is the size of your whole index finger. I went to the pet store, and the guy said that I shouldn't add fish, just wait until they grow to their full size, (which is about six inches)then move them into the other tank that I have in my basement(a thirty five gallon). I forgot to ask him about alage eaters, because my tank didn't really have alage in it at the time. Now that it does, I was wondering, could I put an alage eater in, or would they eat it? What kinds of alage eaters are compatible with convicts, I was thinking maybe a clown loach...are those compatible? :confused: :)

aly
02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I am almost positive my friend has algae eaters in his tank with his cichlids. I'll email him and ask him about it to know for sure though.

Twisterdog
02-08-2004, 10:17 PM
You can put a pleco with cichlids. Plecos eat algae. However, most likely, the pleco will eat all the algae fairly quickly, then you will have to be sure to feed him sinking algae pellets, or he will starve to death.

And, I agree with the guy at the pet store - that is plenty of fish for a ten gallon.

CathyBogart
02-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Quarantine tanks are a MUST! Quarantine any new fish in a separate tank before adding it into your current tank! I killed a pair of fish that I had raised up from fry and had for over three years by adding a pair of dwarf corys without quarantining.

PJ's Mom
02-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Also remember that most plecos grow very large and won't survive long ina 10 gallon. I have two now and one of them is 16" long! :eek: :)

whalelover
02-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Whats quarrentining(if thats how you spell it..)lol?
I really like clown loaches, could I put maybe one of those in with my convicts?:confused: :) :p

PJ's Mom
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
When you quarantine a fish, you put it in a separate tank...to observe it's health for at least 48 hours. If everything looks ok, it can be moved into your other tank with your other fishies. It's just a way to make sure you're not introducing fish diseases into your already healthy fish. :)

As far as the loaches go, I only deal with Oscars and such, so I can't help you there. Sorry. :(

Fox-Gal
02-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by whalelover

I really like clown loaches, could I put maybe one of those in with my convicts?:confused: :) :p

Yes you can put them in with your convicts, I have a clown loache in two of my convicts tanks. Just make sure you give them a place to hide, they are big hidders. Some times I can go days without seeing them.

Convicts are a more easy going cichlid and can get along with a lot of other fish. Mine live with a headstander, clown loach, parrot fish, red tail shark, cat fish an oscar, kissy fish and some other type cichilds.

If you ever has any ?'s about Cichlids feel free to ask me. I don't know alot about some things but Cichlids I do know. :) We are cichlid people.

whalelover
02-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks, clown loaches are alage eaters, right?

Fox-Gal
02-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Clown loachs are not what you want for algae. Plus with your 10 gal tank and the other guys in there they would not be any room. Clown loachs do better if you at least buy 2.

For your size tank I just get a snail for now, if you get algae. When you move up to a bigger tank then you can get some algae eating fish. A Otos cat fish, Chinese algae eaters or a Plecostomus.

If you do get algae, I wouldn't worry about it if it's not that bad. Just clean it when you do a water change. Belive it or not some algae is good. It means you are not having a problem with ammonia. Algae can not live if you have high ammonia. Now if you have black or red algae then you got a problem, little bit of green isn't that bad. It looks ugly but not a big problem.

I know you really want a clown loach, but I'd wait till you set up your 35 gal tank before you get them. And remember get at least 2 so they will be happier and give them some hidding places.

Hope this helps some.

whalelover
02-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Alrightie;)

My Peanuts
03-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I know this is an old thread and you probably got your pleco or decided against it by now. I have two frontosas and another large cichlid that has a big latin name (that I can't remember right now) . All are African cichlids and I have a pleco with them. They are in a 55 gallon tank, which I will upgrade when my frontosas get larger (they get to be 12 inches if they are males and 10 inches if they are females) Frontosas are very agressive so I have to make sure my pleco was at least the size of the largest Frontosa. The Frontosas and the Pleco have been together for over a year and the new guy has been there for a few weeks, all is well.

My advise is that a 10 gallon tank is pretty small, but if that is what you have then there is nothing you can do. However, you said you had a 35 gallon. I think you should get them in there asap and then get the pleco. Hope that helps.

PS. Don't ever believe what someone that works in a petstore tells you. Sometimes they mean well, but often don't give good advise.

whalelover
03-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Well, I'm not getting any more fish at the moment for my ten gallon tank, I'm not getting a pleco or a clown loach or anything, because like everyone here said it wouldn't be good, and the guy at the pet store said the same. My fish are getting bigger and filling out, but our ten gallong seems fine, they have lots of swimming space still and their not that big yet, the biggest one is the size of your index finger. When they do get bigger though, I will move them to my 35 gallon, and then get like a pleco or alage eater or something, and I'll probibly get a few more cichlids. I don't really sea why I need to move them to the 35 gallon right now though, because they aren't that big yet, and they have lots of space and are active and happy in the ten gallon right now...

My Peanuts
03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
oh don't mind me! I belong to this cichlid board that told me that even baby Frontosa ( about two and a half inches) need at least a 100 gallon tank. All that freaked me out because my room can't fit a tank that big. If you think your fish have plenty of room, then don't let anyone tell you otherwise! You know best.

whalelover
03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Okay, thanks;)