PDA

View Full Version : Soft paws

slleipnir
02-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Curious as to who uses them, and if they work??? I'm kinda thinking of getting them, but wanted to see if they work well before..as they are kinda expensive...lol..Kiba's nails are soo sharp..and I trim them every week.

Another issue, is she uses the bathroom in my moms planets..It -really- annoys my mom. I figured it was like an instinct to use stuff like that..as thats where they go if they were outside, right? Anyway, we've been trying to stop that too..

amoore
02-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I have never had them for my cat. But I was recently told by a person that said they let their cats use them, they did't work that well.

I have my plants in a room Sunny can't go in, in the green house. I also had a cat once that prefered a potted plant to the litter box.
When I did not have a green house I put them in a different room from where the cat could go.

I hope you good luck.

NoahsMommy
02-07-2004, 07:38 PM
We use them for the kittens because of their eyes being so suseptable to injury. They are polydacyl so they aren't able to retract those extra claws.

We get them at a local vet's office for $19.00 a box. 40 Nail caps come in a box, so they last quite a while.

Some people don't like them because they do fall off...thus requiring more effort and time. (I hear this ALL the time at work.) But it really isn't too hard or time consuming to apply them, especially just to one cat.

As far as the kitty using the planter vs. the litter box. The only way I know to avoid that is to get rid of the plants. :( We only have 1 small plant in our apartment and its high up and away from their reach. Maybe someone else will have better advice.

Denyce
02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
There are good and bad things about soft paws. There have also been a couple of threads about them. I am sure if you do a search you will find them. I used them for a short time when one of my cats was clawing up the back of her neck. She was making horrible deep scratches so I put them on her back claws only so that she could still scratch but not do herself any damage. Once she got past her need to claw herself raw I stopped putting them on. They worked great for that. Some people have used them and had strings and such get caught in them.

As for the potted plants. I have heard of many possible remedies. There is putting foil over the pot with the plant sticking out...there is putting citrus rinds in with the plant. If you eat oranges a lot that is better. There are some different sprays they makes for keeping cats out of plants. I personally just don't have real plants in my home. But that is my solution :D

Denyce

jazzcat
02-07-2004, 07:51 PM
For the plants try this - put aluminum foil around the top of the pot so that the dirt is completely covered. I had to do this with Jazz to keep her from digging in the dirt of my plants. I would think it would work to keep a cat from using it as a litter box too. Worth a try anyway.

CatDad
02-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I was going to suggest the same things for the plant. However, I was beaten to it.:)

I just remove any plant that we have problems with.

I hope that one of the suggestions works, Good luck.

slleipnir
02-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone. The thing is, my mom has a ton of plants..she's not going to get rid of them.....She was looking to buy a spray of some sort to put on it, but we weren't sure about it hehe.

About the soft paws, we're thinking she might be hurting the other cat with her claws..Also she's been climbing up the curtains :rolleyes: lol (Maintaining the soft paws isn't a problem, I wouldn't mind doing that, its just that they cost a lot, esp if they don't work. I dont think we can get them here either :(