PDA

View Full Version : Horrors!

catnapper
02-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Ok, hold your seat! My digital camera broke!

Gasp! Oh no! I have to take it back and see if they'll replace or repair it for me, but who knows how long that'll take.

In the meantime, I have been told by my daughter that poor Allen get neglected in all of my posts. So I must post some old pictures of him... these were taken before Christmas and I never knew when to post them but the story behind them is cute - his expression tells it all.

We had our first snow and it was starting to melt one sunny day. slowly, it slid of the roof in one big clump. Allen was sleeping on the couch...

Awww, sleepy Allen
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid92/p964f2cca8110dcf675ad74c0226b4646/fa587682.jpg

Eeek! Startled Allen
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid92/p47675c9b0f38d439e44a2ad590ec2145/fa587685.jpg

I will return someday when my camera is all better.

sirrahbed
02-07-2004, 09:24 AM
ahhh! BEAUTIFUL Allen :D :D

kimlovescats
02-07-2004, 10:26 AM
I can't imagine a day without my digital!!!! :eek:

Precious Allen pics!!!! :)

Barbara
02-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Allen looks so soft and mild! I am sure he is your good kitty:D

Randi
02-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Allen, you're so handsome. :) You have the same expression on your face as Fister, when he thinks we're coming in to the bedroom around lunchtime with a piece of ham. ;)

Uabassoon
02-07-2004, 11:57 AM
When your camera is fixed I demand that you post more pictures of Allen! He is so handsome :) I love those orange boys!

catnapper
02-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I just got a response e-mail from Nikon... they said "if its new, then take it back to the store where purchased and they should replace it. If not, then ship it here for repairs." It was bought in September and the receipt says they won't exchange after 14 days... does that mean they won't handle warrenty issues? I will DIE if I have to ship it out and wait for its return.

I had no idea that everyone loved my big guy so much! He really is a sweetie-pie and is so gentle. And he also has as much personality as the crazy Pouncer! I will definately have to post more about my big guy!

rg_girlca
02-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Who can't help but love that cute face. Allen is so adorable.
I hope your camera has a full and complete recovery.:D, so we can see more of your cutie patootie.

CatDad
02-07-2004, 01:17 PM
It is sad but true, Allen is a little neglected when it comes to posting pictures of him.;) So when the camera situation is resolved we expect that to be fixed.:D

If the camera is broke, and you bought it in September, I have news that you are probably not going to want to hear. I am not completely sure of this, but if it is anything like Olympus, you will have to send it to the repair center. I would think however that it should be covered under warranty, that was just under 6 months ago.

I know that we have different brands, but if they are anything like Olympus then it should only be about a week. They had to do a fair amout of work on mine and it really was fast.

Good luck. I hope it comes back quickly.

Kirsten
02-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your camera, I can't imagine day without mine also.

I don't know how these warranty things work in the USA, but here in Germany you usually have one year on products like this. Good luck!

These are phantastic photos of Allen btw, such a beautiful light and so soft... He's a cutie pie! :)

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
02-07-2004, 01:39 PM
We LOVE your orangie!! I think PT has a soft spot for orangies...I know I sure do! :)

That was a cute story about Allen...he looked so cozy until that horrible clatter!

Pam
02-07-2004, 01:42 PM
HaHa! The cool look of an orange kitty! Disturbed momentarily, but not upset! :cool: I recognize that look as I have seen it a million times on Trevor. Allen you are sooo cool! :cool: (My Andy, on the other hand, would have been a blur of white - as in OUTTA HERE!) :rolleyes:

catnapper
02-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Pam
HaHa! The cool look of an orange kitty! Disturbed momentarily, but not upset! :cool: I recognize that look as I have seen it a million times on Trevor. Allen you are sooo cool! :cool: (My Andy, on the other hand, would have been a blur of white - as in OUTTA HERE!) :rolleyes:

Pouncer would be a great grey blur running to the window ledge to see what was going on and braving the opportunity to fight the mean noise.

As for my beloved camera... the store refused to even help me figure out if the problem is my camera or the USB cable. If its the cable, then I'd send THAT to Nikon and still have my camera to take photos (I would just wait TWO WEEKS unti I could download them.) So I still have no idea what is wrong with the camera. According to the Nikon guys and my descripton of the problem, they think it is the camera -- so all of you techy people out there: when I plug the USB cable in, the computer doesn't recognize that I've done that (usually a window pops up right away and asks what I'd like to do) I have to jiggle and wiggle it until the computer knows... and now after one day of wiggle the computer never recognizes my camera... all those lovely pictures captured in nowhere land!:( The connection feels loose.

PS: All the store had to do was plug it in with their own USB plug... if it worked, then my camera is fine and we need a new cable.:rolleyes: they couldn't have been less willing to do that!:mad:

IttyBittyKitty
02-07-2004, 05:29 PM
We want to see more pictures of this little furry orangie!

jenluckenbach
02-07-2004, 08:05 PM
You didn't know???????
WE LOVE ALLEN
:D :D :D :D

CatDad
02-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Some stores can be real a******* when it comes to helping people. When I find that I don't go there anymore.

Anyway onto the camera problem. I will start with I know nothing about nikon cameras, but I do know about jiggling cables.:)

First, question is what end of the cable were you moving to get it to work? Camera or computer end.

You may not know, but I will ask. Is it a standard USB cable or one that is proprietary to Nikon? If it is a standard one USB you just take it to the computer store and buy another one. Test it. and if it works, then send yours to Nikon. Then return the other one after you get yours back. That way you can still use your camera and get a 'rental' to use.:)

If it is a Nikon Proprietary cable go to the store that would not help you and see if they sell just that cable. Buy it and do the same thing as I described for the normal USB cable.

I am sure you know, but I will say it anyway. Make sure of the return policy before buying anything. I say that because alot of tech stores are now charging a 15% restock fee.

You can also see if the camera is taking pictures and get a card reader for the camera memeory. That way you can just bypass the camera connector.

I would still check the camera conector, because if it is loose or bad that may affect other things.

That is about it for first steps. Please go ahead and ask any questions that you have on anything I wrote. I will try and remember to keep an eye on this thread. Also, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck.:)

catcrazylady
02-08-2004, 10:49 AM
How could you possibly think that Allen wouldn't be adored on PT?? He is a BIG, BEAUTIFUL, ORANGIE!!! What in the world is more popular on PT?? I would love to hear and see more of Allen. Of course, we never tire of Pouncer either!! You have to adorable babies!!

I'm sorry about your camera. I would go insane if something happened to mine!! I hope you get good news and its fixed and returned very very soon!!!

cubby31682
02-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Along with what Catdad has said. I have also done the wiggle thing with the cords and I have also knocked my USB port loose. You may also want to check that. If that is loose all you have to do is open up your computer and find the right card and tighten it back up. It's really no big deal to do it, if you are not comfortable doing it your self ask a friend or something that knows how to build computers. If that doesn't work the going rate around me is 50$ an hour for a 10 minute fix. Good luck please let us know.

Katie

catnapper
02-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
Along with what Catdad has said. I have also done the wiggle thing with the cords and I have also knocked my USB port loose. You may also want to check that. If that is loose all you have to do is open up your computer and find the right card and tighten it back up. It's really no big deal to do it, if you are not comfortable doing it your self ask a friend or something that knows how to build computers. If that doesn't work the going rate around me is 50$ an hour for a 10 minute fix. Good luck please let us know.

Katie

Thanks, but it is definately the connection at the camera. The connection at the computer is just fine. Sigh. I'll send off my camera to the company tomorrow (if I get done my appointment early, otherwise Tuesday)

Killearn Kitties
02-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Aww, poor Allen, disturbed by that nasty snow.

I had always meant to ask why there were no Allen pictures.:D