PDA

View Full Version : Scared beyond belief

kitten645
02-07-2004, 03:38 AM
took my two for there checkup. Admittedly I've not done it in three years as they have been healthy and happy and I've been poor.There has been a bit more scooping goin on lately and I wanted their rabbies to be up to date in case we move to the UK.So much trauma and got the kids in their boxes. Howling the whole way (as per usual) Got them home and Hobbes was great. Little Calvin threw up over a dozen times. Rushed him back to the vet that kept him there over the afternoon. Got him home and he freaked out again. Chewing paws, batting face and hissing at me and Hobbes. He was so out of character and it scared me so much. I'm seriously reconsiding taking him back for his shots. What do you all think?? He's never been sick except for this time with his shots. I felt so horrible that I made him sick. The vet was fantastic and spoke to me at length about the boys. He even cut down the shots by half since they are indoor kits.I never want Cally to go thru that agan so I would seriously re-consider having him go thru the shots again. What do you all think??
Claudia

Kirsten
02-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Well, first of all, let me say how sorry I am your Calvin got so sick from the shots. At least I assume his sickness came from the shots, but maybe he reacted like that 'cause the vet visit has been too exciting for him - or he has just upset his stomach.

I think when you plan to move to the UK and want to take the kitties with you, you need your kitties being vaccinated regulary, otherwise they wouldn't allow you to bring them into the country.

When they are always kept indoors, I don't believe an annual rabies shot will be necessary once you are in the UK, but there are other virus diseases which a cat can pick up even as an indoor cat, for example when you had contact with an infected cat outside your home, virulent material could still be on your clothes and shoes in that case. I would ask your vet about it what he thinks is the best. I would also describe his behavior to him and ask if this could be an allergic reaction to one of the vaccines, and if there's an alternative product available.

I hope little Calvin will be fine soon!

Kirsten

kitten645
02-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks Kristen. Your kids are so beautiful. I'm just so nervous about ever putting my little guy thru that again. He's ten pounds and Hobbes is 20. Last time I took them they both slept all day. RE: German/english., I'm latin/american and I speek italian and french. I travel to Germany once a year. I find German to be a bit harsh sounding. Perhaps that's the reason they prefer your english. But I think my kids like french most. LOL. Calvin loves me saying "Where is my bijou?"LOL
Claudia

CatDad
02-07-2004, 08:08 PM
I would talk to your vet about the rest of the shots. He is probably the best judge on if Calvin would become ill from them.

Has Calvin calmed down at all? One of mine has bad reactions to the vet, not physical but behavioral. She will hide, as first it was for days. She has had problems for the last 3 months and has had to go to the vet alot more often and she is generally much better when she gets home know. My other one does hiss, at the vet and after he gets home. So it sounds like Calvin's reaction is a bit extreme, but it could be that he is just scared. Again I would probably call the vet and talk to them.

I wish had had some answers besides call the vet, but it is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Good luck and prayers for little Calvin.

I love there names by the way.:D

moosmom
02-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Kitten645,

I agree with Kirsten. I have 8 cats who are all indoors. I don't believe in over vaccination. Afterall, how often does a human get vaccinated???

Anyways, I usually hold off on their vaccinations for about 3-4 years. Everyone (knock on wood) has been healthy.

amoore
02-07-2004, 08:58 PM
I have a friend that says her cat has allergic reactions to the shots, but she feels it important to get all the shots, even if they don't go outside. If you walk in and out your self you can track in The soils that has dangerous virus's & diseases from outside.

I have never had that problem with my cats so I can't give you any suggestions about your kitties reaction to the vet. Maybe like
Kirsten says:
maybe he reacted like that 'cause the vet visit has been too exciting for him - or he has just upset his stomach.

I hope you good luck with your kitties! They do have cute names!:)

kitten645
02-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Calvin is back to normal now. It was about nine hours of craziness. They have always been healthy. No throwing up or anything. My last two had so many health problems (diabetes, heart murmurs, allergies, bronchitis) Calvin is the most sweet natured guy and he was just so not himself . I could tell he was miserable. Thankfully he's back to his old self.
When I first adopted them I wanted some Wicca names since they are all black. But they were so sweet and darling I couldn't come up with anything that suited them. So I decided on my favorite cartoon names. And they both got the right characters...Calvin is full of mischief and Hobbes is stoick (sp) I love my guys. Thanks for your kind responses. I spoke to the vet again today and he said next time we'd give him his two shots seperately.
Claudia

Kirsten
02-08-2004, 03:32 PM
That's very good news that Calvin is doing fine now! :)

Originally posted by kitten645
RE: German/english., I'm latin/american and I speek italian and french. I travel to Germany once a year. I find German to be a bit harsh sounding. Perhaps that's the reason they prefer your english. But I think my kids like french most. LOL. Calvin loves me saying "Where is my bijou?"LOL

You could be right about the German language. You know, I have no idea how it sounds to someone who's not a native speaker, but I figure it sounds pretty harsh indeed.

Since French is also a language that's very softly spoken, I can understand very well that your cats like it. :)

Kirsten

kimlovescats
02-08-2004, 05:02 PM
It definitely sounds like your kitty had an allergic reaction, I'm glad to hear it is over now! I'm not sure whether your said you did or did not get the rabies vaccine .... but I know my Doxie had a really bad reaction that sounded very much the same as your kitty's! I hate that the law requires them so often ..... the rabies are actually good for 3 or more years, but our state requires them yearly. Of course, I don't get them yearly, as my babies stay inside, and I don't plan on being visited by the state! :rolleyes:

kitten645
02-08-2004, 06:28 PM
yes..they both had rabies and FVRCP boosters. They discontinued the Leukemia shot and one other that I don't remember. The rabies shot in CA only has to be done every three years. The vet seems to think it was the combination of the two shots at the same time that produced the alergic reaction. I felt so bad. I could tell he didn't understand why his little paws were itching. I'm just glad it's over. He's back to my love bug.
Claudia

catmandu
02-11-2004, 09:23 AM
JJJ3 hates the trip to the Vets so much , that on the last two trips , free of charge , he donated stool samples , right in the carrier, thought full JJJ3!