PDA

View Full Version : What A Scare!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Andrew got home early today and since it was a gorgeous day outside, we decided to take Drake to the nature park. We always let Drake run off leash when we are at the park on the trails. There is no traffic for over 10 miles and Drake listens very well to us when we are out in the woods.

Half way into our walk, Drake spotted two deer and took off after them. He has done this before and always is in our sight. Today was different. He took off into dense woods and we couldn't see him. Andrew was sure he would come back. We waited and waited and 20 minutes later I started panicing!

Andrew and I split up in the woods and called his name over and over and over. Nothing. Drake wouldn't come. We combed acres and walked the trails for over 2 hours. I was frantic and crying hystarically. I told Andrew that we should go to the car. It was getting dark. Andrew was going to get a flash light and I was going to drive around on the roads and look for him. We got to the parking lot and guess who was sitting by the truck!! A very muddy and worried looking Drake!! I started bawling immediatly when I saw him. A million and one terrible thoughts had come to my mind while we were desperately searching for him!

He is no home safe and I am so thankful for that.

CathyBogart
02-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Oh Drake! I'm glad you're home safe too. You shouldn't scare your parents like that!! :eek:

tatsxxx11
02-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Oh Souraya!!! How frightening!!! And to think you finally found him (or he found you!) just before dark! Thank goodness Drake knew where to go to wait for his Mommy and Daddy:) Smart pupper!:) I'll bet you're still sighing with relief. This has happened to me with Star before, walking conservation land. She sticks right with us MOST of the time. But sometimes chasing after a critter is just too tempting for a retriever. Give Drakester a big hug for me!

lbaker
02-06-2004, 01:18 PM
As soon as I saw this thread my eyes started to clouding up and my throat started closing. Oh heavy sigh of relief ;)

anna_66
02-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Oh man, I would have been frantic too!

I'm so glad that he was such a good boy and went back to the car:) Who could ask for a better dog:D

pitc9
02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
OMG:eek:

What a scare!!!!

But what a good boy to sit and wait by the truck!
:D

catnapper
02-06-2004, 02:10 PM
How scary! I've cried over thoughts of Nicki in the same way! But what a smart boy to know how to find his way back to the truck and to sit waiting for you! I'm so glad to hear that all is now well.

dukedogsmom
02-06-2004, 02:22 PM
That's two scares now within two weeks. I don't let Duke off leash hardly ever. Maybe for a pic but that's about it and then he's only a couple feet away. Glad The Drake(if you're a Seinfeld fan, you'll get that) is alright. I hope he won't try that again.

ramanth
02-06-2004, 02:25 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: DRAKE!!! Don't scare mommy like that!! I started crying because you're mommy was crying. :(

I'm so glad he is home safe Souraya. I know how scary it can be.

*HUGS*

Cinder & Smoke
02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
... Drake spotted two deer and took off after them...

:eek: NawTee Dawg, Drake!

But Good Boy for waiting by the truck! :)

Don't know if this is a real "problem" or not -
but you might want to check with the "local authorities" to see
if there are any laws about domestic dogs "chasing" wildlife such as deer.
Allowing him to run free in a "nature park" might be a no-no. ??

He might never "catch" an alert and healthy deer;
but a fawn or an older one might not be so lucky.
And if the Draker isn't carrying his hunting license - :eek: !

So Very Glad you found each other!!

/s/ Phred

K9soul
02-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Oh how frightening!! I'm so so glad Drake was waiting for you at the truck. What a smart boy to know to do that!

I love to let the pups run a bit if we are hiking out in a deep nature area with no roads. There is something that just makes my heart soar to see them exploring and running around so happily. My two can't stand for mom and dad to be out of sight so they have never gone far. I know it's the most safe to keep them always leashed, but in another way there is something wonderful about watching them naturally enjoy being out on a hike without restraint.

The collies we always let run when we were hiking in the woods and they were always good about never taking off, but I know there is always that bit of risk there. Again, I'm so glad that Drake knew to stay and wait for you there.

EssTer
02-06-2004, 02:51 PM
:eek: Humm, it´s very frightening... I´m really glad, that Draker boy now is home safe...

aly
02-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Souraya -

That must have been SO TERRIBLE! I had tears flowing while reading your story, but a smile came to my face picturing Drake sitting by the car wondering where mommy and daddy are. What a sweet boy. I am so glad he remembered where the car was.

When I was in 9th grade, I had my Lab out in the front yard with me. I thought my sister had her on the leash, but I turned around and she was gone. I started running up and down every street barefoot, screaming her name. I was hysterically crying and thinking the worst. Then my mom pulled up in her car and said Dessi had just gone to sniff the neighbor's yard and was there all along. Whew, surprised I didn't get gray hairs from that one!

Corinna
02-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Drake is confused he wasn't lost mom and dad were. He was where he was supposed to go if seperated.
Glad he's ok and safe.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your posts. My heart is still racing and I haven't settled down yet. I am sure Drake thinks I am nuts!! He has so much fun when he at the park off leash and I love seeing him be himself. He explores and sniffs and romps around!! He is so happy out there. He has never left our site before. Today was a very first. I am still trying to decide what is going to happen next time.

Don't know if this is a real "problem" or not -
but you might want to check with the "local authorities" to see
if there are any laws about domestic dogs "chasing" wildlife such as deer.
Allowing him to run free in a "nature park" might be a no-no. ??

He might never "catch" an alert and healthy deer;
but a fawn or an older one might not be so lucky.
And if the Draker isn't carrying his hunting license - !

Dogs here in Germany do not have to be leashed. Even in the city. You see dogs walking around behind or infront of their owners leashless!! All the dogs at the park walk around free without a leash. As for hunting, it is not allowed on the park grounds!

Pam
02-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Boy that was a heart pounder!!! It seems a couple of Pet Talk doggies have taken a few years off their human parent's lives lately! Drake is such a good boy to return to the truck! Gosh, in addition to being a totally awesome handsome dog, he is a smartie too! :) Glad everything worked out OK. Time to pour that glass of wine Souraya! :p

Cinder & Smoke
02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
Drake wasn't lost - mom and dad were.

He was where he was supposed to go if seperated.

:D
Reminds me of the Big Birfday Bash for Kia in Michigan last year...

We were all havin Phunn in the Bark Park when Leslie noticed that
:eek: Kersey was *missing* and couldn't be found...
We searched our way down to the parking lot and
:) there was Kersey - sitting in front of HER car! :D
Someone had let her slip out through the gate; but
she knew that the car was a safe place to wait for Mom!

Cinder has been know to take a bit of a LOOooong stroll when
allowed to run free...
I have *great* luck with *coupling* Cinder & Smokey TOGETHER with their
"Y-Thingie" rope - that keeps them within 12 feet of each other!
Smokey gets a LOT more "nerbuz" than Cinder when seperated from "Dad"!
One call - and SmokeMutt will spin around and actually drag Cinder
back towards my voice! :)
He's the gud child in the Family! :rolleyes:

Maybe Darake needs a Brother / Sister ?? ;)

"As for hunting,
it is not allowed on the park grounds!"

So the question might become...
Is allowing one's Dog to chase deer a form of "hunting"??? :confused:

KYS
02-06-2004, 05:08 PM
OH MY!!! MY heart was in my throat.
I can only imagine how happy you were to
see Drake.

BAD BOY DRAKE FOR SCARING YOUR MOMMY LIKE THAT!!!

sabies
02-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear Drake is home safe. Drake don't let yourself get carried away by deer! Stay near your mom!

Cincysmom
02-06-2004, 08:15 PM
What a scare!! I'm so glad Drake made it back tot he truckl safe and sound.

I agree with Phred...Drake made need a sibling to help look after him :) When Cincy was just a pup she ran away from me at Ralph's mom's house. I would call her, she would stop, look at me, and keep running. Finally I told Sadie "Go get your sister" She ran her down, got around her amd herder back. Sadie is truly our retriever :)

shais_mom
02-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Draker!!!! You shouldn't scare you momma and daddy like that!!!!
I am so glad he is home safe!!

delidog
02-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Oh My Dog!!!!
So Glad that Drake & you are alright!!!!!
Glad he is smart enough to go back to car!!

If I can make a suggestion,
you can go to a Tack Shop..(Horse Apparel)
And buy a Longe Line
it is a Thick,Nylon Lead..(Not like the retractables)
You can get it in 20,25 or 30 ft. lengths...they are about 10.00 to 15.00 over here...
Their is a Loop on the end for you to hold...I use this on Joey attached to his harness...as he loves to run...it makes him FEEL like he is off leash....but he is Not!!!!
Maybe Draker would enjoy...and You wouldn't have to worry!!!!
Just a Thought.....
Hug That Drakey Boy for us!!!!

clara4457
02-07-2004, 06:52 AM
What a smart dog you are Draker waiting for Mommy and Daddy at the car. Next time though - don't wonder so far off. I know it scared you and Mommy and Daddy so much and it is always best to stay close. :D

mugsy
02-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm glad Drake made it back to the truck safely. I truly understand your terror. The other day 8 of the 11 got out, but, it was so cold, they didn't go very far and I had them all back in about 10 minutes.

Our crew wants to know if Drake is still muddy or if he was subjected to a bath already....if so....they send their sympathies.;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Molly, Drake was carried from the front door straight to the bathroom. Not by me, of course! Andrew did the honors.
Drake got a bath and also was blow dried!! He wasn't too happy with either of us!

We made up for it today by taking him with us on our day trip to Heidelberg. He was such a good boy and we had so much fun. I will post pictures later. Too tired right now. I am going to take a nap. I think Drake will too since we walked for over 3 hours!!

mugsy
02-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I passed on the message and the dogs send their sympathies, being that they hate bathes too!!

Tonya
02-07-2004, 10:58 AM
What a scare! I bet Drake though you and Andrew were lost. lol. He was sitting at the truck getting ready to send out a search party.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I posted pictures from our trip today in the Other General Section. We are very glad that Drake was with us today.

CLICK HERE TO SEE PICTURES! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=618893#post618893)

jenfer
02-07-2004, 11:53 AM
I am glad Drake was waiting for you by the truck. The whole thing must be so scary.

wolf_Q
02-07-2004, 12:22 PM
How frightening!!!!

I'm entirely too paranoid to let Nebo off-leash...the closest he gets is the long retractable leash on nature walks lol.

Glad Drake is ok! He's such a good boy to come and wait for you!

lbaker
02-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Oh swoon, swoon, oh boy! More pictures for my Drake collection!

RobiLee
02-08-2004, 07:59 AM
What a scare! I'm so glad that things turned out alright. What a sight that must have been to see him sitting there beside the car. This is my worse fear for Katie. I can't let her off leash at all. My pup never stops running. This is one thing that really bothers me. I wish I was able to just say Let go for a ride and we could go from the front door to the car without the leash but if she is off leash she will take off as soon as the door opens.

Drake don't ever scare you mommy and daddy like that again. You are much to precious to them!!

Robin :)

Logan
02-09-2004, 10:09 AM
I would have had a heart attack, right then and there. :eek: I'm so glad it all worked out, but I know you must still be trembling from the whole thing.

Hugs to all of you, from all of us! ;) That's a lot of hugs too!!!! :)

K9karen
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Whew! I'm so glad Drake's ok..he was probably wondering what took you guys so long to find him! What a smart pup! But also a little nawty for scaring you so much...

For the first few months, Logan was terrific at coming when called. I let her lose at a local school yard, in their huge double sized football field. After feeling her oats, she decided that any moving critter was fair game, so now I learned to keep her on lead. She did a "slip" through the garage door a few months back when my boyfriend and I were cleaning. He went down the street to get her (yep, schoolyard squirrels) but she ran back past him and right back to me as I was about to walk up the street..with an innocent "I didn't do anything" look! My heart as in my mouth too!

Barbara
02-10-2004, 05:14 AM
I am so glad Drake is back! And it was very clever of him to go back to the car.

My parents' late doxie also tried to hunt deer and you could never take her to the woods without a leash:( (If she was in a hunting mood she didn't listen to anything:()

The legal situation (for woods) is the following: If you walk on the paths the dog does not have to be on a leash, but if you walk croos-country, he has to. So Drake -in a wood, in a park there may be other (generally rather more) restrictions- was not allowed to chase the deers. And in the woods this could have been very dangerous. Because the huntsmen who have the right to hunt there (in Germany this is a defined person - hunting is never free) can shot a "poaching" dog or cat!

When I was living in Northern Germany in the middle of nowhere in the fields I could not have cats because we had a guy nearby who owned the hunt and had shot lots of cats:mad: This was even legal as soon as he met them 200 yds from the next house!

captain
02-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Souraya,

Thank doG he went back to the car!!!!!

Captain did that once - although he does LOVE to run, and run, and run ........ ignoring his frantic Mum!

John was in the car, and Captain loves to run all over following the car along the way. John took him (before we had Ruby monster) down to the dirt road we run him on, like normal ....... and he bolted around in the paddocks .......... and disappeared.
John called and called and called, reversed up and down the road ........ NOTHING! So he came home and got me (it was 6:30am!), woke me up saying "I have lost Captain" .........
:eek: :eek:

Off we went, calling, and calling ...... staying on the same patch of road ...... went into the farmhouses, leaving my number just in case ......... John went off down a road across the railway line looking for him, and I rode further along the road, heading for the pound .....

And there, in the middle of the road sat Captain .... at the split in the dirt road about 1km away. Just waiting, .......... he was a clever boy, because the dirt road splits in two and sometimes we go one way, and sometimes the other, so he sat there and waited for us.

OH the relief, the tears ....... Souraya, I relived it with the Drakester!