PDA

View Full Version : "Greek Gum"

Kfamr
02-05-2004, 03:21 PM
i'm not sure what they call it, I really couldn't pronounce it or begin to spell it, LOL..

But today my friend Nicolette gave me a peice of "greek gum".

She told me exactly what it is, and it's TREE SAP.

It was the most disgusting thing i've even tried in my life. It tasted like wax. It was sooooooo gross!

Has anyone else had "greek gum"? I believe it starts with an M.
She says people in Greece chew it all the time and that she loves it.

Ewww... I had to spit it out and chew on a "normal" peice of gum.
It was interesting, but gross.

Ok... It's called Mastic Resin, I believe. It's just the way they said it (in the "Greek Accent") that it sounded hard to say lol... Maybe it is pronounced differently than it's spelt.

http://www.scents-of-earth.com/mastic.html
That's what it looks like so i'm assuming its the same thing.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Hmm... sounds... appetizing? I can say I've never tried THAT before.... and from the way your making it sound... I don't want to!

Miss Meow
02-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I remember my nan and mum introducing me to tree sap. They just checked out some trees, pulled off the nicest looking sap and munched away. Oh - my - god, it was vile! :eek:

But, I do that to people with Dutch licorice. It looks sweet like normal licorice, but packs a salty punch that most people hate!

bluekat
02-05-2004, 04:07 PM
LoL, sounds interesting:p I've never heard of that before.

dukedogsgrandma
02-05-2004, 04:54 PM
I remember chewing "pine rosin" as a child. We had eleven acres that Dad named "The Pines" because it had so many pine trees.
Real chewing gum was scarce around our house, but we had plenty of pine rosin!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-06-2004, 03:33 AM
I have had Mastic Flavored gum before. Chiclets makes it. I like it. In Lebanese cooking they use Mastic in many desserts. It has a nice taste. Never actually chewed on it like you are describing, KayAnn.