PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, buddy, Not my foster dog....

Glacier
02-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Last night I had a call about one of my foster dogs, Chase. Chase has been with us since June after almost a year in the shelter. He's a young, nutty, shy, hyper, husky cross. At first I was kinda happy as there hasn't been much interest in Chase, then the guy started to talk......

The guy who called is looking for a dog for his granddaughter--which was my first red flag. I don't let my foster dogs go as gifts.

Second, granddaughter's dog was taken by a wolf, while roaming loose. Now we have had 13 dogs killed by wolves in our area this winter, several of them taken from fenced yards or right out of musher's dog yards! So I wasn't too concerned until he said her dog had been roaming on it's own, which apparently was normal for it.

Then he tells me that he wants a black and white, brown eyed husky cross, must have a white mask. He doesn't care what Chase is like--doesn't care that he's timid with people he doesn't know and will need very gentle, calm caregivers to adjust to a new home; weighs close to 80 pounds and is hyper and a jumper--not a good match for a young child; doesn't care that Chase can NEVER be allowed to run loose, (he has a typical husky recall); says he'll keep him on a trolley, which may be fine for some dogs, but Chase is so bloody clumsy that he gets tangled in a leash; he'd strangle himself in a day on a trolley; no response at all when I explained that Chase needs tons of exercise--he's a great dog, but a tired Chase is a wonderful dog! I assume the silence meant that Chase would not be getting much exercise and certainly not the chance to work. (he's a fine wheel dog); Didn't care about what Chase is like in the house or with cats as he wouldn't be allowed inside anyway....Just needs a black and white dog so his granddaughter will feel better....

I'm sure he'll find someone who will give him a black and white husky cross with a mask, but it ain't gonna be me and it's certainly not going to be Chase!!

lbaker
02-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Good for you (and better for Chase!). Keep up the good work. I bet there are many, many good dogs looking down from the RBridge giving a huge sigh of relief and smiling :)

robinh
02-04-2004, 01:21 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are when it comes to having pets! That is about the dumbest reasoning for getting a pet that I've ever heard. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chase is soooooo lucky you are watching out for him. I'm sure this guy will find a dog and unfortunately for the dog, it will probably meet the same fate the last one did.

Keep up the good work, Glacier!!

RobiLee
02-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm so glad Chase has you looking out for him. You are doing such a great job!

Robin :)

aly
02-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Geez, that sounds like a good candidate for WORST HOME EVER :mad:

I'm with ya. None of my fosters would ever go to a home like that.

Twisterdog
02-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Ah, don't you love that.

I've always wondered if people like that also marry the first person they meet with brown hair and blue eyes, or whatever, even they can't stand each other. I bet they do!

captain
02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Good for you Glacier.

That ranks up with my IRE on people who want Dalmatians because they look cute, AND "didn't they make that movie with them all". They cannot be THAT hyper ........... :mad:

I have actually talked people I work with OUT OF HAVING A Spotty dog, because just from speaking to them, you can hear they have NO IDEA!

Twisterdog
02-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by captain
Good for you Glacier.

That ranks up with my IRE on people who want Dalmatians because they look cute, AND "didn't they make that movie with them all". They cannot be THAT hyper ........... :mad:

I have actually talked people I work with OUT OF HAVING A Spotty dog, because just from speaking to them, you can hear they have NO IDEA!

Exactly. I get the same thing with my dogs, "Oooh, look! It's Wishbone! I want one!"

Ummmm ... no.

sasvermont
02-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Go figure. Thanks for saving that pup.

Glacier
02-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Exactly. I get the same thing with my dogs, "Oooh, look! It's Wishbone! I want one!"

Ummmm ... no.

SnowDogs did the same thing to Huskies..."oh, he looks like Demon, I want a snow dog"....NO!!!!!

primabella
02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Good for you Glacier. :D Some people are just so careless about bringing a new pup into their lives. It's a good thing there are people like you who make sure their pups don't end up in those homes.

K9soul
02-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I had the same thing when I had my collies. "Ohhh a Lassie dog! I want one!" :rolleyes:

Good for you Glacier, standing up and looking out for sweet Chase. He sure is lucky to have a foster Mom so caring about him. :)

ChrisH
02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I am so happy Chance has you to look out for him. Bless you.

primabella
02-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I had the same thing when I had my collies. "Ohhh a Lassie dog! I want one!" :rolleyes:

Same here. :rolleyes: Only I get the "It's a baby Lassie! How cute!"

captain
02-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Same here. :rolleyes: Only I get the "It's a baby Lassie! How cute!"

OMG - that's right - a "Baby" lassie ....... :D:D:D

Because I have 2 Dalmatians, I usually get

"Where are the other 99?" DUH - YUP never hear THAT before!

.......... imagine what Beethoven did for St Bernards!
Sometimes, animals should not be in movies!

GoldenRetrLuver
02-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Daisy gets "It's Air Bud!" quite often. Oh, and we can't forget Lassie with Molly. :rolleyes:

Good for you Glacier.

lovemyshiba
02-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm sorry, but this guy sounds like an idiot!!

It doesn't matter, as long as it's a black and white dog to make my granddaughter happy??? What about making the dog happy?? I'm guessing that thought never even crossed his mind:rolleyes:

It's terrible what movies do for these poor dogs, it really is.
A kid wants a dog like one from "Snow Dogs", yet the parents don't do any research on huskies, and in a few months have an unmanageable dog on their hands. I know, because there's a husky down the street who escapes her fence every so often, and always, for some reason, ends up in my front yard. There are a lot of houses between here and their house, but for some reason, she comes here. And all these kids that wanted Dalmations--my sister was one of them, and my mother got her one--poor thing was so sick (she bought him at a pet store), he was off to the bridge before his second birthday.:( They eventually got another spottie, and love him, he's probably around 11 or 12 now.

Good for you, Glacier!!!
I know you would never let one of your "fosters" go into anything but a perfect home:)

kimlovescats
02-04-2004, 08:48 PM
GREAT JOB!!!! :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-05-2004, 03:53 AM
You made the right decision with this guy. I am sorry that Chase still doesn't have a forever home. But being in foster care is way better than letting that stupid man take Chase for his granddaughter!!

ramanth
02-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Good for you! :D

Kfamr
02-05-2004, 09:42 PM
I have to basically repeat what everyone else has said;

Good Job, Glacier!!

Tonya
02-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Good for you (and better for Chase!). Keep up the good work. I bet there are many, many good dogs looking down from the RBridge giving a huge sigh of relief and smiling :)

That brings tears to my eyes.

I'm glad that you are careful about selecting new homes for the dogs. I hope that guy comes to his senses.