PDA

View Full Version : One box or two?

joker98
02-02-2004, 10:47 AM
I know it has probably been asked before and I have heard the one box per cat and the one more box than cat theory, but I'm pretty new to this so I just wanted to ask for y'alls expert opinion. I got Dallas (2 year old dilute calico) last October and I just got Dusty (8 week old ball of fur) yesterday. Pictures will be coming as soon as I load the software for my camera on the computer. Right now I have him "sequestered" in my bedroom with a litter box in my bathroom. Dallas' litter box is downstairs in the kitchen. Dallas is about 10-12lbs and Dusty is smaller than dirt. Do I need two litter boxes for two small cats or will one do. I scoop once daily with Dallas because thats really all she needs but when I add Dusty can I just scoop twice a day and be fine. Because honestly, I don't really have any place to put another litter box :(. Opinions?

moosmom
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Joker98,

Since Dusty is only 8 weeks old, I would recommend not using the clumping litter till he's much older. Because cats are natural groomers, kittens can swallow the clumping litter while grooming and it could cause major obstructions. Use the regular clay litter till he's older (3-4 months old) or you can also use Feline Pine, which are sawdust pellets. All you have to do with those is clean out the solid waste daily. The urine will be absorbed into the pellets. When it turns to sawdust, just dump the box and fill it again with only an inch of Feline Pine.

I didn't use the 1 box per cat theory till I had 3 or more cats. Most cats are fine with sharing a box with another cat. But again, it all depends on the personalities. If in fact, one cat starts having potty problems, then I'd invest in another box.

Good luck with your new furball!! Pictures please!!

sirrahved
02-02-2004, 12:06 PM
I have two kitties, and they are fine with sharing a litter box. We just clean it quite often.

catnapper
02-02-2004, 12:10 PM
I think that question depends on the cat. Allen could probably be happy having two boxes just to himself (poor fellow can't poop and pee in the same box unlkess its been cleaned before he does the other) Pouncer would be happy to share the same box with a dozen cats... he doesn't care how clean or dirty it is (though he LOVES to play in freshly cleaned litter boxes)

Can't wait to see the pictures!

kuhio98
02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd suggest 2 boxes. One upstairs and one downstairs. Dusty is probably too small to run up and down the stairs and in an emergency will have some accidents. That's what happened to us when Kuhio was a kitten. She couldn't do the stairs until she was bigger.

We have 2 kitties right now. One uses both boxes. The other only uses the upstairs box. :rolleyes:

We also use the Feline Pine pellets mixed with non-clumping clay. The pellets absorb the urine smell very well. We clean the solids out every day.

rpcathouse
02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
With a kitten around I always have at least 2 boxes if not 3 boxes. A kitten is not always where the litter box is when he has to go, so best to have another in the othere part of the house. And if the other cat is picky about their box they might not share it. Rule of thumb is one box for each cat and I would also add, one box per levels of your home, ( two story home 2 boxes and if a basement one for there also.) I like to make sure there are enough for them, because I know how I hate for look for the bathroom. But this is only what I think and belive.
Good luck with your choices. And give both kitties hugs for me.

Stella
R. P. Cathouse Maine Coons (www.rpcathouse.com)

Uabassoon
02-02-2004, 03:03 PM
I would reccomend at least two boxes. Most of the reasons have already been listed. If your house is two stories a second one would be a good idea because sometimes kittens won't make it to the box if it's too far away. I only have one box for my cats and they seem happy with it, but if I ever moved into a place that was bigger than this I would add a second box.

CatDad
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Ok, you have all the good advice.

I have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. I could probably get away with one but I have the room for 2 so that is what I went with. Plus I have 2 levels and I think it is just a good idea.

Like every one else has said while Dusty is a kitten 2 is a good idea, after that it depends on how they react. After that do what you think will work for them. You could switch to just one after Dusty get older and if you start having accidents then put the second one back. Believe me you will know if one or both find one litter box unacceptable.:eek:

I treid switching to a new litter once and Bob let me know within one day that he did not like it. He came out one evening looked at me and peed all over my coat. I got the hint.:D