PDA

View Full Version : A very close call!

stacwase
02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Betsy and I nearly lost our best friends today!

We took Max and Kamble out to the cross country ski trail for a nice off-leash run. Both of us have taken our dogs off leash numerous times, and they've always stayed at our sides - just running back and forth but staying in sight. But we've never taken them anywhere together. BAD IDEA.

They disappeared. It was cold, too!

We searched and searched, and finally we came home and made up some signs and posted them. Fortunately somebody saw them, and saw one of the signs and let us know the area where he saw them.

When we finally found them they'd been out in the cold for 4 hours already. They were covered with ice. They were chasing wild turkeys out behind a lady's house.

Neither one of us will ever do that again. It was awful!

Moose
02-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Yikes! Good thing you found them!!

Lixx
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
How awful.:( Atleast you found them.

K9soul
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Ack! What a miserable experience! I'm so glad you found them though. Your relief must have been incredible! Sorry to hear you had to go through that, it must have been very frightening indeed. :(

countrycowgirl
02-01-2004, 07:11 PM
i am so happy you found them

dukedogsmom
02-01-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm so glad they were found! I don't think I'd ever let Duke loose, no matter how good I think he is. The fear of losing him is much greater.

stacwase
02-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm so glad they were found! I don't think I'd ever let Duke loose, no matter how good I think he is. The fear of losing him is much greater.

If we'd had that philosophy we'd have saved a lot of heartache, that's for sure!

Aspen and Misty
02-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm so glad you found them. I'm also one for Always keep a dog on the leash rule. I can't even imagine how I would be if I ever lost my dog!!

Ashley

ParNone
02-02-2004, 08:17 AM
*whew* glad you guys found'em. I have to admit that I let Oz and Maddie off leash. Not Murph, but I've always felt a lil' more secure doing it with Oz and Maddie, because they both continually look back to make sure of where I am. And if I call them, they come running back. I also felt with Maddie, she wasn't fast enough to get away from me and with Oz, I've got him where he'll stop, if I yell out "Wait", until I catch up with him.

Makes you rethink things though, when you hear about close calls.

Par...

ramanth
02-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Nawtee puppies!! Glad you found them! And I bet there were glad you found them too. :)

Kia is just the opposite. If she's with other dogs, she sticks pretty close, but if it's just me and her, she has a tendancy to run off and not listen to me. :(

Maybe she's afraid I'll take a better minding dog home when we're with a group... :rolleyes: ;)

pitc9
02-02-2004, 09:14 AM
.... oh man... I know the feeling!!

Glad to hear they are back home!!!

Logan
02-02-2004, 09:48 AM
After literally "tackling" Zipper, twice, in the last 3 days, I am relieved to know that you had a happy ending too! :) Whew!!!!!!

Zipper needs to run, and unfortunately, we don't have a place for him to do that because of his tendency to bolt, off leash. I see many more hours of walking on the leash in my future, with him, because I can't run, at least not now! Maybe that boy will get me in shape!!!! :)

Corinna
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I have had this problem my self with varies other dogs I have rescued. I have the longest horse loung line I can find. It gives you the safty of control and they can get a good run out and back to you . Twice the range for the dog and half the walk for you.