PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I *think* I am getting!

Tonya
01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
I appologize if this winds up being a false alarm. I'm to excited to keep quiet until I know for sure. I've always wanted a Savannah. (That's half African serval, half domestic cat.) But they're expensive. For a good one, it runs around $3500. Well...lo and behold, I just found out that we're getting a totally unexpected bonus at work at the end of Feb. We're searching online as we speak for a good Savannah. We're trying to find a male. They're usually cheaper because the first few generations are born sterile.

In this pic, that's a Savannah on the left, and a Serval on the right.

http://www.savannahcats.com/images/savannah_and_kenya_and_toys.jpg

Tonya
01-30-2004, 08:01 PM
ooops, that turned out huge. Here's another pic of a Savannah. They're huge, but not all that heavy. They act the same as a domestic cat. Except they like water. lol.

http://www.junglecats.com/FORMLROOMpongohome.jpg

Felicia's Mom
01-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Congrats! Have you been trying for a long time to get one? I have heard of them before, but don't know much about them.

Laura's Babies
01-30-2004, 08:46 PM
I don't know anything about them except that that is a beatuiful animal! Geez, that thing is awesome!! Good Luck!

Tonya
01-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, we've sort of have been trying. We've put ourselves on waiting lists more then once over the past few years. But everytime, we wound up deciding against it because it didn't sound practical to finance a cat. But now that we have cash, we want to go for it! Also, since the last time we looked (about a year ago) there are alot more breeders. It is hopefully going to be easier to find what we want. Alot of them don't look that cool because they take more after the domestic cat then the serval. If I'm going to spend that much money, I want it to look wild. :D

They're great pets. They really aren't any different then house cats. They don't require a special diet or anything. They live fine with domestic cats.

CatDad
01-30-2004, 10:08 PM
They look so cool looking and they are huge.

Congratulations on the bounus.:D

I am sure you will let us know if you end up getting one.;)

Fox-Gal
01-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm so jealous right now, thats my dream cat. There are 3 things I always say I want.....and they are on the top of the list. If you get one I want to see lots of pictures.......please! :)

I hope you get one, fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed for you. ;)

Tonya
01-30-2004, 11:35 PM
One of the breeders that has caught my eye is in Palm Harbor, FL. How close is that to you? Maybe you can be my eyes for me! It'd suck if I flew all the way there and the cat wasn't as cool in person.

http://www.411web.com/D/Drinkwatercattery3/

Tonya
01-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Oh, this is one of drinkwater's cats...Isn't she the cutest?!

http://www.411web.com/D/DRINKWATERCATTERY3/F1TIGERSHEETS.JPG

bluekat
01-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Omg, I'm so jealous too! You're so lucky!:D I always wanted to own a big cat, like a tiger or something, I would love to have a savannah.

Hope you get one!:D

Tonya
01-31-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by bluekat
Omg, I'm so jealous too! You're so lucky!:D I always wanted to own a big cat, like a tiger or something, I would love to have a savannah.

Hope you get one!:D

What is cool about Savannahs is they don't come with the risk that big big cats have. They are small enough to manage and are cared for just like any other house cat.

One thing I just remembered though. Most of them are declawed at the breeder. I want to see one in person that isn't declawed and see just how large their claws are. All though my Raven has a perfectly normal life as a declawed kitty, I'd hate to buy a declawed cat if I didn't have to.

EssTer
01-31-2004, 11:20 AM
awww.. what a great kitty ;)

Fox-Gal
01-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
One of the breeders that has caught my eye is in Palm Harbor, FL. How close is that to you? Maybe you can be my eyes for me! It'd suck if I flew all the way there and the cat wasn't as cool in person.

http://www.411web.com/D/Drinkwatercattery3/

Palm Harbor is little less then 2 hours away from me. If you need my eyes I'll be happy to do it for you. Shoot I'd be happy just to get the chance to see these guys myself. I could fill my camera with all kinds of pictures. :) :) :)

Karen
01-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Tonya, I think KayAnn lives IN Palm Harbor, or really close anyway. Maybe she and Simba could go, to do a "dog-interaction" test for you! And you know what good photos she take ...

Fox-Gal
01-31-2004, 04:40 PM
AWW Karen, you just took all my fun away. :( ;)

But I think she does live there, so maybe she can check things out for you.

Christiansmommy
01-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Wow, they are a beautiful breed, i had never heard of them before. Here is a link to all of the breeders in the US...you may have it already...

http://www.savannahcat.com/

Good luck!

cutie_chica
01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
I am so jealous!! I want one, But we dont have enough room yet until our house is built later this year. I have my fingers crossed for ya!:D

Lixx
01-31-2004, 08:03 PM
OOO, you're so lucky. I would love to have one! Buy me one too pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!:D

micki76
01-31-2004, 08:16 PM
That’s really cool! I’d hate to see the litter box, though! :eek:

Uabassoon
01-31-2004, 08:28 PM
That’s really cool! I’d hate to see the litter box, though

LOL I was thinking the same thing! I never realized how big they actually were until I saw those photos. Good luck and I hope everything works out, because I would love to see tons of pictures :)

IttyBittyKitty
02-01-2004, 05:15 AM
That is sooooo cool, you will have the most unusual kitty on PT! And you had better take loads and loads of pics of your spotty kitty!!

Kirsten
02-01-2004, 05:25 AM
I always loved savannahs, servals and bengals, they're just sooo beautiful! I also heard they are very smart! :)

I keep my fingers crossed for you! Can understand how excited you must be! :)

And this kitten is just irresistable!!! :)

http://www.411web.com/D/DRINKWATERCATTERY3/F1TIGERSHEETS.JPG

Kirsten

smokey the elder
02-01-2004, 07:55 AM
I saw a Savannah at the Westchester Cat Show. He was huge. He stood about 18" high and I think the lady said he weighed 35 lbs (about 15-16 kilos for the metrically minded.) He uses one of these d*ggie litter boxes, and walks on a leash!

amoore
02-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Oh My God! Tonya I hope you do get That cat! It is beautiful! :)

amoore
02-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by micki76
That’s really cool! I’d hate to see the litter box, though! :eek:

LOL! It would have to be a big one!:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
They sure are gorgeous.:D All fingers and paws are crossed here for good luck. I sure hope you're able to adopt one.:)

Aspen and Misty
02-01-2004, 07:25 PM
WOW :eek: Beautiful cats! They have the most unique patterns!

I hope you get one! I can't WAIT to see pics!

Ashley