PDA

View Full Version : Physical Education in Schools

Desert Arabian
01-30-2004, 05:29 PM
I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are when it comes to physical education in schools. Do you think it is unfair? Do you think it should even exist? What were your experiences like?

In a way this is kind of a rant, sorry about that, please bear with me. Thanks. :D

I am dead against it, and I absolutely hate it. I think it is absolutely absurd that it is required class. I think that it should be an elective class, that way the fitness buffs can work out and make sure they stay in shape, while other not so in shape people can take classes that will actually teach you something valuable for your future. What do you learn in physical education? Nothing. As far as I see it, the only thing you learn is how to dislike yourself, to be very self conscious, and very embarrassed.

I just started physical education today (since it is a one semester course), and I had to run for 6 minutes, do push ups for 6 minutes, jump rope for 10 minutes, ride an exercise bike for 10 minutes, and do step aerobics in a class of around 50 students that is 90% in shape people, pretty/nice looking girls, and athletes.

When it comes to the swimming unit, the only dress code is "no thong bikinis". All the girls where bikinis that are so small and disgusting there is no d*** point in wearing them. We have to do all sorts of crap and we are graded on our SKILL. I cannot swim, and I don't want to learn how to swim. If I want to learn how to swim I will do it on my own time when I feel like it, in private where I will not have to worry about the pressure from other people.

I have really bad asthma that is irritated by prolonged exercise, such as running, fast walking, etc...and my teachers don't give a rats rear end that I have a medical condition effected by doing physical education. If I want to be in shape, I can exercise just fine by myself I do not need the stupid physical education class for assistance. If it wasn't -25 below outside right now, I would most likely be outside doing some kind of activity, instead of being on the computer. When it's warm out, I am always active...I can keep fit just fine by myself.

I think physical education is a waste of time. I could be taking a different class (such as art, computers, business, etc) that will actually help me out in my future a great deal.

And the gym teachers.....they are so *can't really think of a word to describe them* *BLAH*. All they do is dress in gym clothes, toot a whistle, and yell some directions to us...how pathetic can you get!?!?! COME ON! Now if you were teaching me how to decode DNA (like we are talking about in Biology) or teaching me about the Declaration of Independence, I would take them more seriously. Gym teachers are so nasty, at least all the ones I have met. I can't stand them, and it really irks me that they ALL love their athletic students and could basically care less about the other students. Every single gym teacher I have had has been like this...they LOVE to favor the good students. :(

Besides my asthma, I am *EXTREMELY* self conscious and very paranoid. I have a horrible level of self esteem, and think very low of myself- most of this is thanks to horrible experiences in physical education class. I am petrified to do anything in gym because I am afraid I will get made fun of. When we are jogging I am afraid to slack back, because I am afraid people will see me and say "Oh, there is that slow fat girl, look at her, looks like she's gunna pass out.". And I really CAN'T run that fast because of my asthma, but I push myself too run fast to the point where I am going to pass out, all because I am so self conscious and paranoid. And if you think I am about to jump in the pool with guys and girls half naked...you are dead wrong. No way. There no way in "h-e-double hockey sticks" I am getting in a swimming suit and swimming. I just can't do it. :(

I have tried talking to my gym teachers about all of my problems, and all they tell me is "do your best and use your inhaler". @#)$@#&*$^@)*#&$*@_#$*)@#$^&@_#$ What the heck kind of advice is that!?! Just goes to show you what great teachers they are! :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This has gotten so bad for me it is not even funny. And I am a sophomore in high school, how pathetic can you get!? My parents are very concerned about this (it's making me seriously depressed), so my dad is going to talk to my gym teacher on Monday and we are going to talk to my doctor.

Physical Education....a pathetic class...a pointless class...a waste of everyone’s time......

Thanks for reading my rant...I really appreciate it..it let me get a lot of weight off my back, which is what I really need right now. :)

This is a good example why Physical Education shouldn't exist. And I am by far not the only one who feels like this too....there are a lot of students like me in my school, they just don't have the guts to go against it. :( :mad:

(If there are any gym teachers here, sorry if I offended you!!)

GoldenRetrLuver
01-30-2004, 05:54 PM
You just need to take it for one semester? We need to take it for two years, so four semesters!

I don't *hate* P.E. but I'm not crazy about it either. We run a mile (which is 4 laps) every week around the field. I don't have asthma, so I can't say it affects me, but I have friends who do and the teachers tell them the same. "Use your inhaler." My P.E. teacher says physical education is very important, and I quote him "It helps you look better, feel better, and perform better." He says this *every* day, so it starts to get on your nerves. :p

I hope things get better for you. :(

Uabassoon
01-30-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm glad I was able to aviod P.E. when I was in high school. Marching band counted for your P.E. credit and since I was in the marching band for 4 years, no P.E. for me :)

lovemyshiba
01-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I had to take it all 4 years!!!!!
It did suck though--we had one teacher who was a real witch.

My male gym teacher, who was also the wrestling coach, made us wrestle in gym class. We had to learn all of the positions or whatever, and actually partner up and have a match with another girl in the class, with everyone else watching:eek:

By the time I was a senior though, he had mellowed out, and would let us do what we wanted for gym class. Sometimes we would just go and lift (we needed to for track anyway), or play ping pong:rolleyes:

I hope your parents and your doctor and your teachers can come up with some kind of compromise for you.

trayi52
01-30-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't remember how long we had to take Physical Education in high school. I hated it too, had a teacher that was very bossy. You want to know something though, I am 51 years old now. I am very proud I took it now, it taught me to at least try and take care of myself. I don't know how it is now, when I was going to school back in the stone ages, we had exercises, even dancing classes, and something else that I can't remember the name of.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I HATED it. We had to dress in gym clothes, everybody had the same kind, we look like a bunch of prisoners out there in the gym. Felt like it too.;)

But I am now glad I took those classes!

Willie:)

Shelteez2
01-30-2004, 07:32 PM
I loved PE!! But I went to a different sort of school. You basically got to pick your own course. All that was required was doing a unit of weight lifting and a unit of cardio fitness stuff, and the rest you got to pick on your own. I took country and western dance, horseback riding, hiking, tennis....etc. Some other options were sailing, kayaking, all the normal stuff like b-ball, volleyball, soccer, etc. It was so much fun.

Moose
01-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I didn't mind PE...but it wasn't my favorite class either. While yes, it is important to exercise and whatnot I can't even tell you of a day when my friends and I actually tried in PE. Everyone just slacked off during class...it was a waste.

We did get to pick what "classes" we wanted to take though...and most of them were pretty good. There was "team sports" [basketball, volleyball, football, soccer, softball, etc]...there was "individual sports" [tennis, ping pong, pickleball, etc]...and then there was weightlifting [the ultimate blow off class :p]. All in all, it definitely wasn't too bad. :)

I didn't have to take it Junior or Senior year, though, because I was on a varsity sport for both semesters both years. :p

2kitties
01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Childhood obesity in the US is reaching epidemic levels. And, an obese child is almost certain to be an obese adult. I'd like to see twice the PE in schools at all ages. Fitness is important to health and gives us quality of life.

guster girl
01-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Childhood obesity in the US is reaching epidemic levels. And, an obese child is almost certain to be an obese adult. I'd like to see twice the PE in schools at all ages. Fitness is important to health and gives us quality of life.

I agree with this 100%. Don't get me wrong, I was paranoid in gym class. I hated getting dressed in front of other girls. I was never overweight, but, I was always the smallest girl (in every way) and I had hairy arms and legs (not Sasquatch, but, not normal either) and a problem with acne, not just on my face. I was terrible at basically everything we did in PE. And, I dreaded taking the class. I still can't run a quarter mile without almost passing out. But, I don't say it's a waste of time to have PE as a required course because of girls and boys that are shy, overweight, underweight, weak, etc. There are a lot of people that benefit directly and immediately from PE. And, ALL people can benefit by taking care of themselves physically. Most kids and teenagers would not take any classes if they weren't required, then, we'd have even more unintelligent, physically unhealthy people. And, physical fitness is just as important as mental fitness. Now, if you have legitimate medical conditions that prevent you from safely doing what's required, the school should accomodate you. I stand by that, most definitely, but, having low self esteem is not enough of a reason to not be required to take a class. Trust me, I was 23 years old before I realized that confidence has less to do with the way other people look you at as it does with the way you look at yourself. I have very high self esteem at 27, and, have recently been taking good care of myself physically and mentally. Negativity does no good for anyone, though. There has to be a way for them to accomodate your asthma and, even letting you wear a shirt and shorts in the swimming pool. Heck, I think I wore a long tee shirt over my swim suits til I was about twenty years old, because I'm so small chested. And, people may think that being overweight is a lot harder mentally to deal with than other physical qualities, but, for the individual person, being skinny or freckled or hairy or pimply or small or large-breasted can be just as crippling. Just my two cents (or maybe my ten cents)

moosmom
01-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I had to take it for 4 years as well. My senior year I managed to show up for attendance and then run back into the locker room and get dressed, while everyone else headed outside or to the gym. So I guess my opinion isn't worth much.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
01-30-2004, 08:59 PM
i totally agree! i used to have very bad asthma, and my gym teacher at the time was very meaan! she made me run anyway even when i didn't have my inhaler and i was sitting there in front of she wheezing(sp?) and crying and all she was doing was yelling at me and calling me a baby and a wimp. (but that's another story--she did things way worse than that:rolleyes: ) but i think there should be more P.E. in schools, but it should be graded on effort, not skill. some gym teachers are mean but sometimes they have to be. we only have to take 2 semesters a year, but at the highschool you dont have to take it at all. my sister doesn't take it at all and she's not fat, but she's lazy and can't run or excersize much. people who are on sports teams should be able to get out of P.E. if there's a class they would rather take that's more educational.

RubyMutt
01-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I had to take it for 1 1/2 years in high school and all 3 years of middle school. I hated it. But, I think the main reason I hated it so much was due to the teachers. It's like they didn't understand that not everyone was an athlete! :mad: It was so frustrating. I'm not in bad shape, but I get horrible side/chest pains when forced to do a lot of running. And if I ever paused to take a break, of course I was yelled it :mad: And if I told them I was in pain, did it matter? Of course not. For someone who simply CAN'T do strenuous exercise PE was dreadful. There should be other options - racquet class, weight lifting, etc. In HS, we did have other options, but many times you had to take general PE classes first and/or get a Dr's note.

Aside from that, I honestly don't see what PE has to do with academics (unless, of course, you want to get into that field). I see no reason why that should be a required course. It is awkward and frustrating. It should be an elective credit, IMO. I don't think it's the schools' responsibility to reduce the amount of obese youth.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
people who are on sports teams should be able to get out of P.E. if there's a class they would rather take that's more educational.

Over here you don't *have* to take P.E. You could take Dance, R.O.T.C., or be on our school sport's team. (volleyball, basketball, football, soccer, and golf) So there are ways to go around taking P.E. :p

Moose
01-30-2004, 09:27 PM
At my high school, you were required to take PE if you weren't a Junior/Senior in a varsity sport for that semester [as I already said], or if you wanted to take a class that was only available [or would only work out for your schedule] during your PE hour.

Felicia's Mom
01-30-2004, 09:39 PM
I took PE in the late 50's and early 60's, and it is probably a lot different now. We had to take it through 12th grade, but skipped a day in between.

I didn't like it. That started back in grade school when captains
(other students), would choose their teams. I was always the last one to be chosen. That didn't make me want to win for my team. I love to jump on the trampoline (sp), and things like that. I couldn't do those because of my epilepsy.

Teachers were not rude.

Tonya
01-30-2004, 09:59 PM

I agree. I think that we need to push kids to be more active. We have to teach them to take care of their bodies from a young age.

With that being said, I totally know how you feel. I was never athletic. I was especially bad at softball. I catch and throw right, so I have to tear my glove off to throw the ball. And half the time, I'm such a dork that I accidently throw the glove. I can't bat worth a dang either. My teacher was a softball coach, so that's all we ever did. I used to neraly have panic attacks when I knew it was a softball day. Swimming...out of the question. I can swim to get by. But it was humiliating for me to have to swim in front of people as a test. I do remember those feelings.

My best advice (and it was a solution for me), is to talk to your teacher again. Ask her if you can substitute the activities that you are uncomfortable doing for something else. I used to walk the track or jog bleachers while everyone else played softball.

I thought my friends would make fun of me because they were all athletic, but I think they were more relieved to get me off of their team. lol.

popcornbird
01-30-2004, 10:21 PM

I agree, 100%!

In my school district, its required to take PE all 4 years of high school. I think PE is VERY important, especially with how bad the obesity rates are in our country, especially amongst the younger generation. I don't know how to swim either.............not really anyway. I would ***never*** take swimming classes at school ***ever***. Its a good thing we have so many choices here, from running/tennis/bowling to swimming and almost every other sport. If I *had* to take swimming, I would find some other school, but there is no way I would swim in a place where boys and girls are swimming, pretty much naked. Bleh. I ***hate*** bikinis and swim suits.........absolutely hate them, so I know how you feel. I never go near any public pool only because I cannot stand looking at people dressed like that (or should I say.....*undressed* like that). :p

But swimming aside, I think physical education is a neccessity and SHOULD be required. I'm all for it...........not because of looks, but because its important to take care of your health, and physical activity should be a way of life, for everyone. When you get in a habit of something when you are young, its stays with you. I think its very important to start exercising at a young age, because that is when you can best take control of your health, before it is too late. Not all parents are well educated in the nutrition/fitness field, so I think schools play an important role in guiding the younger generation in leading healthy lives.

So.........while I understand what you're saying, I'm still all for PE as as obligation in schools. They should just provide students with more options, AND, in my opinion, they should have seperate facilities for boys and girls, because I noticed a LOT of girls and boys at school don't feel comfortable doing certain exercises in front of the opposite sex, and many (especially girls) become self concious. I think its humiliating for students who aren't comfortable with it. Personally, I don't feel comfortable around guys...........I just don't. With girls I'm perfectly fine, but I really don't feel comfortable around boys, especially when it comes to working out in front of them. I'm ok with sports that aren't exposing, but for things that I can't participate in, I just tell the teacher I can't for religious reasons (which is true.......I can't do exposing things in front of guys for religious reasons, or participate in sports for which I would have to wear exposing clothes), and they let me off. The other kids glare at me and all the other students who get excused for religious reasons, because they can't do that and are jealous (they SAY they are jealous!). He he he. :p

guster girl
01-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Felicia's Mom
I took PE in the late 50's and early 60's, and it is probably a lot different now. We had to take it through 12th grade, but skipped a day in between.

I didn't like it. That started back in grade school when captains
(other students), would choose their teams. I was always the last one to be chosen. That didn't make me want to win for my team. I love to jump on the trampoline (sp), and things like that. I couldn't do those because of my epilepsy.

Teachers were not rude.

I had the same experience when I was in grade school, the formative years. I was always picked last, because I started kindergarten when I was four, and, was always the youngest in all of my grades. And, I'm only 5'1, now, so, I was almost always the smallest person too. I never participated in competitive team sports, because my self esteem was zero in that area. I hated PE, but, I still think it's a good idea to be required. I also think, though, that it has a lot to do with the teacher. My gym teachers overseas at American schools were crap. The gym teacher when I went to Nurnberg was overweight and did nothing but sit down and scream. Ugh.

2kitties
01-30-2004, 10:36 PM
I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill where ALL students are required to complete 2 semesters of a PE and
ALL students (except the handicapped) MUST pass a swim test in order to graduate. Some trustee way back when lost his daughter to a drowning so he donated an obscene amt of money to the school if they would require all students to pass the swim test. So, now, every student must pass that test in order to get their degree. 5 minutes in water over your head. No exceptions.

I think it is Fantastic. You would be surprised how many people can't swim. And, since 2 PE's are required, then those who can't swim are able to take swimming as one of their PE electives.
Poppy, they do make arrangements for students who prefer single sex facilities.

popcornbird
01-30-2004, 10:42 PM

Poppy, they do make arrangements for students who prefer single sex facilities.

I know.............They do in some schools, but not all. I think they should have that facility in all schools. In my school, it depends on the sport. For some sports, there are seperate facilities for girls and boys, but for others, they are mixed. Funny thing is in my school, tennis is seperate, but swimming isn't! I find that ridiculous. :p

2kitties
01-30-2004, 10:47 PM
that is strange, pops. It's too bad that some kids have to miss out on getting to swim at your school, but they don't give you trouble for sitting out due to religion, do they? I would think they should be respectful of that choice.

My high school didn't have a pool, so we didn't do any swimming. There was a swim team, but they swam at the local Y. I think it would be a pain to have to get my hair wet and refix it at school. :) i know I know. I'm a girlie girl. lol

popcornbird
01-30-2004, 11:39 PM
but they don't give you trouble for sitting out due to religion, do they? I would think they should be respectful of that choice.

Nope, not at all. They're very respectful of such issues at school.

Twisterdog
01-30-2004, 11:43 PM
I hated P.E. as well. I think the majority of kids did.

We had NO choices. Everyone did the same thing, at the same time, in the same gym. Period. So it was NO fun.

But, I survived. We all did.

I think it's important, not only to teach kids about getting and staying in shape (because some kids have NO clue), but also because simply having to do it builds some self-confidence sometimes. I think having to do things that make us uncomfortable sometimes forces us to broaden our horizons and become a little stronger. And everyone needs that.

carole
01-31-2004, 02:23 AM
You have my full empathy, PE was compulsory in my day, and still is in most schools I believe, I hated it with a passion, I used to get my mother to write notes, and get out of it as much as I could, she also hated PE as a youngster, probably the only reason she let me off.

I can always remember a comment in my school report to this day for PE," Carole does not over-exert herself", you better believe it, I dreaded it.

However I do agree with the others on the fitness thing, kids do need more activity these days, so I would say its here to stay, if not more of it, also today there are so many new options, the kids today get really good choices of sport to play etc.

Luckily both my children are keen sports people, (not like their mother) so I encourage them as much as I can.

I know its tough when you hate it, and it seems so unfair, but its life and you will get through it , hey five years ago this so called PE hater was addicted to the gym, so there ya go, only gave it up because of injury, and hope to return this year if possible.

So try to make the best of a bad situation, I know easier said than done, but unfortunately its here to stay, as for the swimsuits, again I am suprised , no bikinis allowed here, especially not skimpy ones.

Having asthma can be tricky, but my son is an asthmatic and plays sport constantly, especially cricket, but then its his passion, but if you manage your condition properly, you should be able to cope, maybe it will hinder you some, but you will be ok.

Anyhow GOOD LUCK!!! I am really on your side.:D

zanzanfergie
01-31-2004, 03:38 AM
I don't think I agree that having PE as a compulsory class encourages a healthier lifestyle. In fact, it's often such a negative, degrading, humiliating experience that all physical activity becomes something associated with embarrasment and pain. So people avoid it outside of school.

I wish PE wasn't compulsory here. Or, at least that we had some choices. We have to take it for four years, and there are no choices in units. Everyone does the same, from Year 7 to 11. Swimming is also a core unit from Years 7 to 10.

For me, team sports like Netball are the worst. They're humiliating because I'm awful at them, and so I feel really bad for the team that I'm on. You become self concious of the way you play, and every time you miss a ball it doesn't make you stronger, or boost your self esteem. It just makes you want to go the toilets and cry.

I hope things get better for you YellowLabLover. I guess the only thing to do is keep on keeping on.

Tonya
01-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
For me, team sports like Netball are the worst. They're humiliating because I'm awful at them, and so I feel really bad for the team that I'm on. You become self concious of the way you play, and every time you miss a ball it doesn't make you stronger, or boost your self esteem. It just makes you want to go the toilets and cry.

I hope things get better for you YellowLabLover. I guess the only thing to do is keep on keeping on.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I thinks kids should be encouraged to try sports though. Perhaps it would be a better solution if physical activity was required at school, but they could choose what they were going to do. Like at my brother's highschool, he could choose from dance class, basketball class, swim class, etc... I know that would be expensive though. His highschool was huge.

2kitties
01-31-2004, 11:41 AM
I would be interested in an age related poll on this. Seems to me the kids in high school are the majority of those who want no PE and those of us who somehow made it through see the value.
Maybe, maybe not.

G.P.girl
01-31-2004, 11:47 AM
i used to take swimming at school every other year and i hated it when i had to do it, but i missed it when we didn't. i didn't like how we had it before or during school because i never dried all the way and then my clothes would stick to me...and when we had it before schoole i would just wear my swimsiut under my clothes there so i wouldn''t have to change in front of everybody...of course that didn't work becuase half the time i forgot to bring underwear to chaneint to afterwards :o :rolleyes:

popcornbird
01-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I don't enjoy PE.................I just like that its there because its good for us. I agree with Sarah that it doesn't boost your self esteem when you aren't comfortable about something. It makes you want to cry. I personally prefer working with weights, on the treadmill, etc. things we don't do at school...........but still, physical education is important, and should be there. They should just have more options, and more privacy. :p

trayi52
01-31-2004, 11:50 AM
2kitties, that would be interesting. I am happy that I had PE in high school. I know it is what made me have better health today. Maybe not mentally, LOL, but physically I have stayed in pretty good shape. I think it comes from the workouts I had in PE.

You look at what is does for your future, though now I know I need to get out there and start working out again. Got behind on it when I feel and broke my foot, resulting in getting lazy!!

Willie

Foam
01-31-2004, 12:30 PM
P.E. is an elective class for our school. I chose it over band, chorus, and orchestra and I thoroughly enjoy it.
I like to keep in shape, because I play many sports, plus it helps me for agility trials with the Oz-monster. :p
BUT, there is a downside. All of our instructors are old, and couldn't run a mile without dying, and they never work out. It shows because one day, one of the teachers had to jog across the soccer field to grab a kid doing something, and was totally out of breath.
This week we ran the 100 m, 200 m, 400 m (one lap) and 800 m (two laps) back to back to back...we ran the mile before that.
Some kids were injured, and many sick. They gave us no time to condition in between. It's horrible..this is one reason I get in so many fights with the P.E. instructors. They don't give a flying %^@$ about us, and I'm one of the very few kids in school who will stand up to them.
I would really love to see them do that in one week...:rolleyes:

wolf_Q
01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
I don't think I agree that having PE as a compulsory class encourages a healthier lifestyle. In fact, it's often such a negative, degrading, humiliating experience that all physical activity becomes something associated with embarrasment and pain. So people avoid it outside of school.

I completely agree with this. I took all of the required PE classes in high school, hated every minute of it. It didn't encourage me to do anything except hate PE.

I would absolutely die if there was a required swimming class. I'm extremely self-conscience, so you'll never see me in a swimming suit...but the main thing is, I'm terrified of deep water.

So, now, every student must pass that test in order to get their degree. 5 minutes in water over your head. No exceptions.

This statement honestly gives me nightmares. I would rather survive 5 minutes covered in cockroaches!

Desert Arabian
01-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I completely agree with this. I took all of the required PE classes in high school, hated every minute of it. It didn't encourage me to do anything except hate PE.

I would absolutely die if there was a required swimming class. I'm extremely self-conscience, so you'll never see me in a swimming suit...but the main thing is, I'm terrified of deep water.

See....if you were at my school and had a fear of deep water they most likely would not care and fail you. If you do not do the swimming unit they fail you for the whole class...no matter how good you did in the other units, and have to take gym class over again. If you have gym second semester and fail it, it means you are going to summer school for gym- what a crock of bull. That is the biggest bunch of bull on the planet! COME ON! Give me a break! Summer school for gym!?!?!?!?! Summer is when everyone is active because it is so nice out...so WHY is there summer school for gym!?!?!!?! Makes no sense to me at all! :confused:

I remember last year during the swimming unit, the teacher made us get in the deep end of the pool, which if I remember correctly is over 12 feet deep. An old friend of mine was in the class with me, and he told the teacher that he cannot swim, not even do the doggy paddle, and would surely drown if he got in the deep end. What did the teacher say? "Get in the pool and just stay close to the edge." So he gets in the pool...sure enough...about two seconds into treading water he starts to drown. If only the stupid teacher listened to him! He said he was going to drown, and drown he did! I feel so bad for him, he was so traumatized. Like he really wants to get back in the water after that!

We have to take gym every year of high school. I have had gym class since kindergarten- and that's the only time I enjoyed it, when I was a little kid.

I am 121 pounds, so it is not like I am over weight or obese. Like I said before, when it is not -25F outside, I am outside walking neighbors dogs, up at horse camp working there, cutting grass/doing yard work, jogging on the bike trail, playing with friends, fishing, hiking, bike riding, etc. I try to work out as much as possible outside of school, because then I can get in shape and not have to worry about fellow classmates watching me.

If you could pick what you wanted to do in my gym class, and you did not have to be with the opposite sex- I would most likely love it and participate 24/7. I can handle being around the girls, although you get the occasional snob, but it's working around the boys what bothers me.

(If you think I am lying about this, or stretching the true...trust me..I'm not!)

Pam
01-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Well I am probably a lot old than many, if not all, of you who have replied. We had mandatory PE and mandatory swimming when I was in high school. I never did learn to be an accomplished swimmer but could save my life if necessary. For that I am thankful. The only time we were excused from swimming was "at that time of the month." I can tell you from experience that is the only time I ever really was thrilled about having my period. :) I can recall the swimming instructor saying to some of the girls....."wait a minute, you just had your period two weeks ago!" LOL!

I would have liked PE a lot more if it concentrated on exercising rather than sports. I was never one who could hit the ball when we played softball :o and many others weren't either. I think participating in sports is particularly difficult for some and as a result may even lower their self esteem. I think some plain old exercise or aerobics would have been more beneficial for me at least. :)

Edit: I just remembered one more reason that I disliked swimming at school. It seems that I always had it last period and there was never enough time to dry my hair or I would miss the bus. Going outside in the winter with wet hair is no fun. :(

G.P.girl
01-31-2004, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't want to be in all girls P.E.. most of them are wimps and don't want to break a nail. i like playing on the boys teams, but usually i''m the only girl one the guys team when we get to pick teams and so they just leave me out of most of it.That really pisses me off then they tell me to go on the girls teams, then the girls tell me to go play with the guys because i'm too bossy and i play too hard and don't let them do anything:rolleyes: . what i don't like is how the guys can wear the basket ball shorts, but all girls are suppoes to wear tight spandex:rolleyes: . i don't, but some girls see it as a way to wiggle thier a**es in front of the guys faces while playing and they wear shorts so short they look like underwear.and they are so tight and low you can see thier thongs hanging out.:mad:...

cali
01-31-2004, 05:14 PM
here its mandatory until 11th grade, where it becomes an elective. and let me tell you I waited my whole life to be able to not have gym! I HATE it. at most schools here you are graded on partici[ation, not ability. but at one elementery school that I went to, it was very althletics oreintated so they dealt with it by grading you on ability. that is HORRABLE. basicly if you are not athletic you fail. and that's not fair. I always hated gym, and tryed to get out of it whenever possable, for example in elemtery school they consider gym a privialge and if you dont bring your gym clothes you lose that privlidge lol so guess what I did? gym is a privlage that I have never wanted, so on gym days I purposly left my gym cloths at home, my friend would do the same, and we would get to sit in the hall and chat, and have fun, instead of being miserable! :D now in grade 9 I absolutly hated my gum teacher, ok if anyone else in the class got injured or something, even slightly, or felt sick they got to sit out, but if anything happend to me, for example I was sick and felt like I was going to thro up and my mom wrote a note, asking the teacher to exuse me from gym that day, and this really happend, she said, "if you need to throw up, you can run to the bathroom" then she dragged us all to the soccer/football feild and forced me to run from end zone to endzone 6 times, there and back = 1, in under 3 minuts. :eek: HELLO, I feel like I am going to puke, I have a headache, and I am dizzy! what the heck is her problem? :eek: so of coarse I was NOT looking forward to gym in grade 10, mainly because it was tought by a teacher known to be tough. but acually she was not that bad. she took us golfing, and bowling and that kind of thing, and the interne I really liked, we did hip hop dancing, and being a dancer I enjoyed that. and t-ball is fun, and so is soccer, my teacher even made football fun! and tought it is a way I understood. but that was the fisrt gym class I have EVER had fun in. so when I filled out of classes for grade 11 is made my day to see gym on the electives list! :D

neko1
01-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Pam

I would have liked PE a lot more if it concentrated on exercising rather than sports. I was never one who could hit the ball when we played softball :o and many others weren't either. I think participating in sports is particularly difficult for some and as a result may even lower their self esteem. I think some plain old exercise or aerobics would have been more beneficial for me at least. :)

I completely agree. Although I still wish I could have gotten out of it! I was in marching band for all 4 years and trust me, that's enough exercise in itself!!!

We had to take gym every year of high school. I hated it. Gym class was the only class that made me feel like a nothing and a loser.

Crikit
01-31-2004, 06:59 PM
I had to take phys ed until the 11th grade and after that it was something that I only had to take if I wanted to. For the most part I didn't mind it, we always had different modules to go in to so we really only did the same thing for a week or so. The only thing in grade 10 gym that I didn't like was the compulsary swimming. I have a fear of deep water and I'm not all that confident when it comes to showing off my body...so I despised

Part of me likes to think that phys ed is a good thing, that it gives people a break during the day to get away from the desks and papers and get some exercise. Well part of me...the part that still remembers the freaking participaction things hated gym and thinks that it isn't something that kids over a certain age should be forced to take part in. Not everybody is going to be a super athlete, school boards should realize that and let the students do what they want.

micki76
01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Pam

Same here, Pam! I was always AWFUL at sports, but exercise I can do!

Originally posted by neko1
Gym class was the only class that made me feel like a nothing and a loser.

Me too. It was very hard on my self esteem.

kitten645
02-01-2004, 12:20 AM
I went to an all girls private school. Talk about sadistic! Those nuns were brutal. Our uniform was actually "bullet-proof poly" unitard shorts. How can ANYONE look good in that? Not to mention sweating like a pig no matter the temp. I HATED PE. I just wasn't good at it.
However, my parents found things that I enjoyed (largely to get us girls out of my mom's hair over summer break!) I took tennis lessons, went to summer camp and became a ribbon winning horsewoman (horsegirl I guess:) ) I was a ballet student for eight years. People still comment on my flexibilty for my age.
I loved swimming so I was on the neighborhood swim team, diving team and water ballet lessons. I also got to be a certified life guard. I think it's important for kids to learn to get over a fear of water (though I completely understand genetic phobias as heights are not my favorite).
My mom was always afraid of water and I admire her bravery for not passing that along. My brother-in-law is scared of water and has overcome his fear to show my neice not to be afraid. I'm happy in the knowledge that if my five year old neice got pushed into a pool or fell into a body of water, she'd survive. I think that is a life saving issue. Playing a "sport" isn't.
I agree that physical activity is important but in these days when arts programs are being slashed, it infuriates me that football is rarely a casualty of cutbacks. I think they are equally important because kids that thrive in art may not in sports and vice versa. And the ones that benefit from both? What's wrong with that?
Claudia

zanzanfergie
02-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Same here, Pam! I was always AWFUL at sports, but exercise I can do!
Me too! I walk to and from school every day, run with Lucy at the park, swim a lot in summer. I don't hate PE because I'm obese, or unfit, or anything like that. I'm a normal weight and height, and really love gentle exercise, in my own time and place.

RubyMutt
02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Reading some of these posts makes me very grateful that my high school didn't have a swimming pool. I cannot believe that some students are forced to take part in a swimming class! :mad: That is unbelievable! If swimming was ever mandatory at my school I would have skipped that class every day. And that is NOT a joke!

iceyshiver21
02-01-2004, 04:08 PM
I had PE everyday from kindergarden through 8th grade and accomplished nothing. I have it for a quarter in school and I love it because-
1. Its a class I dont have to think in.
2. I feel great about myself when I can get things done without tiring myself out.
3. I learned alot about different ways to excersize...which keeps me fit for other things like DOG AGILITY!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
4. After school I dont have enough motivation to run...but if i do it in school its no problem.
Plus out gym teacher excersizes with us, so its not like he just sits there and does nothing.

Desert Arabian
02-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Plus out gym teacher excersizes with us, so its not like he just sits there and does nothing.

I would pay some big bucks to see one of the three gym teachers excersize with us. :rolleyes: It just kills me when I look at Mr. Baker and see the nice "little" belly he has...um...I think HE needs to work at getting back in shape also, not just the students. :rolleyes:

Gym class today was not as bad, except they split the class into boy/girl. We had to jog to the boys on the other side of the gym, then jog back to "start" about four times. Then the boys would run to us and run back to "start" four times. Um..so not cool. For the rest of the class period we played volleyball, which I actually enjoyed! :eek:

Kaite...it's good you see you really enjoy gym class. I wish I had the feelings about it that you do! :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I come down hard on the side of mandatory PE. When I was in school it was....every year. We had to be able to swim to graduate from high school. We wore goofy red uniforms and tank suits to swim. We were not allowed to have competitive sports with other schools (just within our own) as that was only for boys.

And I am grateful that I had to take PE. As a result I can bowl, play tennis, watch a basketball, baseball or soccer game (among many others!) gymnastic meet or swim meet -- and understand not only what is going on but also what it takes to play.

I was a merely adequate athlete but I developed the exercise habit -- which I continue to this day.

RICHARD
02-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

And I am grateful that I had to take PE. As a result I can bowl, play tennis, watch a basketball, baseball or soccer game (among many others!) gymnastic meet or swim meet -- and understand not only what is going on but also what it takes to play.

Then, please tell me what a triple Lutz is???;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-02-2004, 06:55 PM
One of my classmates was Janet Lynn....Olympic Figure skater. A triple lutz is three revolutions and landing on one blade I think...:D

RICHARD
02-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
One of my classmates was Janet Lynn....Olympic Figure skater. A triple lutz is three revolutions and landing on one blade I think...:D

Now we just have to figure out if the jump is started facing forward or backwards....

Thanks!

:confused:

Miss Meow
02-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Now we just have to figure out if the jump is started facing forward or backwards....

Thanks!

:confused:

Wouldn't a triple lutz done backwards be a Backward Triple Lutz? ;) :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-03-2004, 08:16 AM
A toe pick assisted jump, taken off from the back inside edge and landed on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. The skater glides backward on a wide curve, taps his toe pick into the ice and rotates in the opposite direction of the curve. The lutz is unique because it is the only jump in which a skater enters the jump moving in one direction and concludes the jump skating in the opposite direction. The jump is named for its inventor, Alois Lutz.

Cataholic
02-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I loved PE. It raised my grade point, as I always got an E, or an A..depending on the grade level. I don't remember feeling self conscious in front of boys...but, I have always been pretty athletic. I do remember NEVER taking a shower...cause of my hair, make up and the 2.5 seconds between class ending and the next one starting.

I don't agree that taking PE either gets you in shape, makes you athletic, or gives you good 'skills' for later in life. BUT, for ME neither did math or science. (I mean- mean anything or do anything for me in later life, not that math didn't get me in shape..he he) Talk about feeling inadequate, self conscious, like a 'loser'...that is what those classes did to me. To this day, I can't do much more than basic math without the aid of a calculator.

But, what PE, and all those other "stupid" (I don't really mean that) classes like math and science, do is give you exposure. Exposure you might not get any other way (and, with the obesity rate what it is, we apparently aren't getting the exposure). Many, many kids won't EVER speak or use a foreign language (state side only), but, for my high school, you needed two years of foreign language. I never planned a musical career (good thing for Janet, eh?), but, I had to take music/chorus(and I still scare Binx when I sing).

As to PE teachers being mean, nasty, fat, etc., they are just like everyone else, subject to the same faults we all have. Just because my science teacher 'taught' me science, didn't mean he was up for the next Nobel prize (it IS Nobel for science, isn't it? Do I mean Grammy or Emmy?). So, why should a PE teacher be expected to be the next Arnold S? You take the class, do your best (as that is all you can do), and take from it something, hopefully, that opens your mind. Maybe the ONLY thing you will learn is to be less focused on someone's physical attributes?

And, finally, the only way I think the grade in PE should be based on 'effort' , rather than skill, is if that same scale is used across the board. I tried VERY hard in math, and still got barely passing grades. Should I have received an "A" for effort, rather than a "C" for skill level? I don't think so, sadly. I would have had a 4.0!

wolfsoul
02-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I HATED PE. I couldn't stand it. Luckily, it's optional for grades 11 and 12, so I don't have to take it this year or next year. However, the year after I graduate, they're making it mandatory for all grades! I'm so lucky, I get out right before they make it mandatory.

In my schoo, you can either take Gym or Dance. I took Dance for about a month last year, and it reeeeally killed my back, so I had to go into Gym.

Uabassoon
02-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by neko1
I completely agree. Although I still wish I could have gotten out of it! I was in marching band for all 4 years and trust me, that's enough exercise in itself!!!

That's one of the few good things about the Texas education system (or at least when I went to school, it may have changed since then). Marching band counted as P.E. and I sure got off easy since I played in the pit! But occasionally when we would start to slack off our band director would threaten that he was going to "make us earn our P.E credit."

CountryWolf07
02-09-2004, 11:00 AM
I liked P.E. - I guess it was because I was in shape, and I actually tried everything - I love sports - so I was into basketball, baseball, football, and kickball/dodgeball. Of course there were students in my class that slacked off - but honestly? I think P.E is important - it helps you to keep in shape - I only had to take P.E. my Freshman/Sophmore year - didn't have to take it my Junior/Senior year - that was nice. I guess I had a cool P.E. teacher that I'm friends with now and I still keep in touch with him - - everybody has their own good/bad experiences.