PDA

View Full Version : Clicker Training

jenfer
01-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I am just wondering whether anyone train their doggies using this method? And whether they like it or not?
I am still new to this, but sounds great to me. So I am going to read more about it and will try to use it.

clara4457
01-30-2004, 05:45 PM
I love clicker training. I use it at the shelter on occasion. If you want more information about it, the best resource in my opinion is Karen Pryor. She has both books and video tapes you can purchase on clicker training. She also has a website if you want some more information: Karen Pryors Website (http://www.clickertraining.com/home/index.htm)

In the meantime, your first step is to teach Gigi to associate clicks with good stuff (usually treats). So the first few days of using it, you are going to just click - treat; click - treat. Then you can start some commands and use the click to signal a good job. It is timing that counts here. You must start clicking at the very second or two after they have done the desired behavior. Then you can give her the treat. After a while you will treat less and less and the dog will start working solely for the click.

Good Luck

jenfer
01-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Thank you for your input. I did find that site earlier this week and ordered the starter kit. And today I bought "Don't Shoot the Dog" as well. I want to start doing the clicking after I received her starter kit... I am afraid I will do the wrong thing. haha...

So... for example: she put her butt on the floor, I will click and treat, cuz she just "sit". And do I say "sit" after I click? I click because she did something good, not because I want her to do something, correct? Because just "clicking" does not tell her what I want her to do. I am a bit confused.

clara4457
01-30-2004, 06:18 PM
It is a little confusing because there are a couple of different parts of training. For example - if you are teaching Gigi a "sit" you would ask for a sit or use a hand signal (which I prefer since I feel dogs do better with visual signals rather than verbal signals) and the second her butt hits the floor - click then give her a treat.

If it is a difficult command or one that she is having trouble with, you might have to break it down into little parts. For example, lets' say you are trying to train her to go to a mark like a rug or towel - but she is just not understanding. You might have to break it down into mini steps.

Step 1 - put the mat on the floor put her in a sit and say or gesture your command (I use "Park It"). When she moves toward it "click" - she moves closer - "click" - if she turns away from it - don't click and start over. When she puts a foot on the mat - click it. Sometimes it is a matter of shaping the behavior. And if you start with the click-treat exercise, they really start understanding that the click is a good thing.

It is not much different than using a "good girl" except the click is faster and a more consistent sound.

If you ordered her Video tape - it will really demonstrate the process. I have it and I still refer back to it over and over again.

Good Luck :D

aly
01-30-2004, 06:49 PM
I think clicker training is good, but the thing I don't like about it is having to have the clicker on you all the time. I'd rather use my voice as a mark for the desired behavior.

Shelteez2
01-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I am a new convert to clicker training. I love it. I just started trying it when I was looking for methods other than the ear pinch to teach a formal retrieve to my dogs for obedience.

I just recently got the book Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector, and it's great. I am now in the process of retraining my dogs using only clicker training, and my next dog will be raised from a pup using clicker training as well.

I think clicker training is good, but the thing I don't like about it is having to have the clicker on you all the time. I'd rather use my voice as a mark for the desired behavior.

I used to think the same as you. But with my dogs I found they picked things up so much faster using a click than with me using my voice. Once they have whatever I'm teaching them down I switch to using my voice and they don't seem to have a problem with it. But of course all dogs are different :)

binka_nugget
01-30-2004, 07:54 PM
I do a bit of clicker training. I absolutely love it. Kai knows that the click means he's done a good thing and has even done a little 'dance' when he heard the click. It really helps with the more precise commands too. I tried teaching Kai to put his right paw on my right foot and his left paw on my left foot which could be really confusing for dogs but since he knew that the click meant he did it correctly, he'd keep trying til he got it.

There are some people who do something similar to clicker training except they make a sound with their tongue instead of using the clicker. It works the same way but you'll always have your 'clicker' with you.

Holly's mom
01-30-2004, 09:03 PM
I have done some clicker training with Holly. She just loves it. I bought the clicker training video on ebay, also on Karen Pryor's website I have purchased the book "Click for Joy" by Melissa Alexander, and also "Clicking with your Dog" by Peggy Tillman. All of these items have been very, very helpful. Also I belong to a Clicker Solutions website on Yahoo. Here is the thread for that:

Clicker Solutions (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClickerSolutions/)

With clicker training, I have taught Holly how to "roll over", "sit", "stay", "wait", "wave", "chase your tail", "down". She just loves learning new things, clicker training makes it fun for her (and me!) Right now we are working on "take a bow", and "shut the door". The most difficult thing I had trouble teaching her so far, was the "roll over" I went on the Clicker Solutions website and posted a message. I got a helpful reply back telling me what to do (taking mini steps until I got the desired behavior) and it worked!!

Good luck and have fun!

jenfer
01-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Sound great. I will definitely try that. :)

K9soul
01-31-2004, 09:16 AM
I have always been a bit skeptical about it for the same reasons Aly posted, but with so many of you having tried and really liked it, I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.

I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's experiences with this method too.

clara4457
01-31-2004, 03:36 PM
I actually only use it when I am shaping a new behavior, and since I always start at home without distractions, I don't necessarily use it all the time. I do like it for shelter training though because it is consistent. Since you have so many different people doing training and it helps with consistency. Many times the volunteers use different commands or different vocal pitch, it kind of helps.

Dog1,Cats2
02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I've had great success using clicker/reward training. Started it about a year ago with my adopted/rescue pup who had had very little socializing or training, and was very scared of everything.

One of the trainers I know also says "YESSSS!" if she doesn't have the clicker handy. Her dogs know that it means the same. I've started using it too, with good results with Sascha.

I use the clicker to start training something new, or if we're in an area with lots of distractions. Once the dog knows the command or trick, you can do without the clicker, they just want your approval and/or treat.

Here's another site about it: http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm

Good luck!