PDA

View Full Version : Rebel flag petition sparks war of words

Kfamr
01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
A Tarpon Springs High student is suspended for circulating a petition that would ban such symbols.
By CANDACE RONDEAUX, Times Staff Writer
Published January 30, 2004
The article.. (http://www.stpetetimes.com/2004/01/30/Northpinellas/Rebel_flag_petition_s.shtml)

What do you guys think about this?

It's going on at my school. I have sort of mixed feelings about it.

I DON'T believe she should have been suspended for 10 days.

All of the "rednecks" i've spoken to, hear about, or seen, have been complete jerks, including the ones shown in the picture.
Some of them are definitly racists and aren't about heritage, just hatred.

I don't know Krista personally, but one of my friends is friends with her and she says Krista is a very sweet girl.

G.P.girl
01-30-2004, 02:10 PM
I think maybe 10 days was a liilte harsh, maybe a week or 5 days would have been better. i doubt it had anything to do with the fact that she was biracial, and if it did they have no way of proving it.

mugsy
01-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm confused. Was she being disruptive trying to get signatures or what? I'm jumping to a conclusion here, but, were adminstrators thinking this would start a race war?

My personal feelings on the Confederate flag is that there is no room for it on state houses etc. It symbolizes the south seceding from the Union. My philosophy is that if they want to fly that flag, go ahead, but leave the Union and form your own country, but, if you want to be a part of this country then you need to fly Old Glory. I wouldn't go so far to say that it is racist, but, there are a lot of racists that think that it's just IT! I love American history and I love to study the Civil War, but, the Confederacy is a thing of the past and it needs to stay there. But...I don't have any strong opinons on it or anything.;)

As for the girl, I think that 10 days is way out of line. In fact, I don't think she should have been suspended at all, unless she got crappy with the administrator, altough it doesn't sound like she did. That school system has opened itself up for one heck of a law suit.

dukedogsmom
01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I think there's a little bit of a double standard when it comes to things like this and that's all I'm saying on the subject.

2kitties
01-30-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm a southern woman and it my personal feeling is that the flag- in today's society- represents a sad part of our culture. There is so much more I wish people would relate when they think of the American South. The Confederate Flag, unfortunatly, represents the worst part of our legacy, when there is so much more to see. So, I would prefer to serve wonderful southern cousine, speak in the accent I love to hear and be sweet and slow and hospitable, rather than carry that flag. Those are the Southern qualities I wish would become our badge.

But, at the same time, it is protected by the Constitution.

Twisterdog
01-30-2004, 11:37 PM
What people need to realize is that freedom of speech, religion, assembly etc. is for EVERYone. It's one of the most basic principals that our country is based on.

We cannot pick and choose "appropriate" symbols, religions, organizations, etc. They are either all ok (think USA), or all not ok (think Taliban). And "all ok" is a much, much better alternative.

If Joe Redneck wants to wear a confederate flag on his T-shirt, he must be allowed to wear it. Just as if someone wanted to wear the Union Jack or the flag of Bora Bora. If someone wants to wear a T-shirt with a picture of Hitler on it, he must have the same rights to do so as someone who chooses to wear a T-shrit with a picture of Jesus, or Sitting Bull or Malcom X.

I personally find the confederate flag to be obnoxious and offensive ... and my family is from the South. I personally think that ten days suspension is a little harsh. However ... I do firmly and strongly believe in the principals that this country was founded on ... freedom of speech, religion and assembly for ALL.

mugsy
01-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
What people need to realize is that freedom of speech, religion, assembly etc. is for EVERYone. It's one of the most basic principals that our country is based on.

We cannot pick and choose "appropriate" symbols, religions, organizations, etc. They are either all ok (think USA), or all not ok (think Taliban). And "all ok" is a much, much better alternative.

I totally agree with that statement Twisterdog. The only difference is that in the schools there are limits on those rights. As a teacher, I am here to tell you that dress codes need to be in place. I know at our school the kids are not allowed to wear t-shirts that advertise alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. nothing suggestive or "offensive" which opens the door to quite a lot of stuff. Schools are all about presentation and an atmosphere of learning. Like I tell my students, minors have more limits on their liberties than do their adult counterparts. I am a supporter of the Bill of Rights all the way, but, even the Framers of the Constitution made the exception that your individual freedoms cannot infringe on the rights of anyone else.

However, I do not think that the circulating of the petition is worthy of a suspension. A referral and a day in in school suspension, maybe, but 10 days is out of line. Like I said before, with all the public outcry that school is going to be in a world of hurt.

Tonya
01-31-2004, 11:16 AM
The only people that fly those in my town are white supremacists. I would start this HUGE debate if I gave my whole opinion.

2kitties
01-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Tonya, that makes sense to me! I can't imagine what business anyone in California has flying the rebel flag other than white supremacy. For me, the flag is a bad idea no matter where you live, but certainly it has no historical connection to California.

cali
01-31-2004, 07:58 PM
I just have one question. what on EARTH is the Confederate flag? never heard of it. :confused:

mugsy
01-31-2004, 08:45 PM
The Confederate flag is the battle flag that was used in the Civil War by the south. Red background with blue "X" in the middle with white stars in the blue.

micki76
01-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

If Joe Redneck wants to wear a confederate flag on his T-shirt, he must be allowed to wear it. Just as if someone wanted to wear the Union Jack or the flag of Bora Bora. If someone wants to wear a T-shirt with a picture of Hitler on it, he must have the same rights to do so as someone who chooses to wear a T-shrit with a picture of Jesus, or Sitting Bull or Malcom X.

I personally find the confederate flag to be obnoxious and offensive ... and my family is from the South. I personally think that ten days suspension is a little harsh. However ... I do firmly and strongly believe in the principals that this country was founded on ... freedom of speech, religion and assembly for ALL.

Very well said! :)

Twisterdog
01-31-2004, 09:55 PM
The only difference is that in the schools there are limits on those rights. As a teacher, I am here to tell you that dress codes need to be in place. I know at our school the kids are not allowed to wear t-shirts that advertise alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. nothing suggestive or "offensive" which opens the door to quite a lot of stuff. Schools are all about presentation and an atmosphere of learning. Like I tell my students, minors have more limits on their liberties than do their adult counterparts.

Oh, I totally agree with that. I think there needs to be a LOT of restrictions on what children wear to school. But even, then, you can't pick and choose. If the school has a policy saying that the confederate flag is offensive and can't be worn on clothing ... what about the Black Panther flag? If schools would prohibit t-shirts with ANY sayings or pictures at all on them, that would be great. But, even a school can't say this is ok, but this is not.

Kfamr
02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
And update. (http://www.stpetetimes.com/2004/02/03/Northpinellas/Girl_suspended_for_pe.shtml)

mugsy
02-03-2004, 05:23 PM
This kid's response should say it all....

Not so, said junior William Russ. Russ, 17, is one of several Tarpon Springs High School students who proudly displays the Confederate flag when he goes to school. He sees showing the flag at school as part of his right to free speech, a right guaranteed by the Constitution.

"They can't do nothing about it," Russ said of students who signed the petition. "They can't get rid of it."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure the school board got plenty of flack for this and that's why the suspension was reduced.

2kitties
02-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
"They can't do nothing about it,"

From the articulate way he compounds a double negative in a sentence, I'd say he's a smart one!:rolleyes:

mugsy
02-03-2004, 05:36 PM
That was my thought.