PDA

View Full Version : Update on my volunteering experience

catcrazylady
01-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Everyone has been so incredibly kind and wanting and willing to do something to help. As I get more involved I may be able to tell you what is needed but let me explain more as I have learned more myself.
The biggest problem is the space issue!! They simply have NO ROOM! An old three bedroom house is not enough space for this many cats. I am discovering that these are some pretty amazing people who truly love these animals. They cry when one has to be PTS. They fight tooth and nail to save these animals!!
The cages are kept as clean as I could imagine any place being able to keep them. The floors are mopped constantly with bleach water. Fresh water and food are always available and constantly checked. Food and water bowls are spotless. Laundry is done constantly and fress bedding is provided to each cat as needed. Litter boxes are changed out several times a day. They have recently put in a new air filtration system in hopes that it will help cut down on the spreading of germs. Each room also has a portable air cleaner.
Thankfully there is no shortage of medication. Most of these cats are medicated twice a day. All food is donated by Science Diet and they even supply some feral colonies.
I was told that since they stopped the open rooms they have 97% success rate!! YEA to that!! They too are sad that the cats can't get out but as they keep pointing out to me it beats the alternative!! I was told that eventually most of the cats are able to overcome their illness then they move them out to the stores and hopefully rehome them.
No well kitten is ever left in the shelter. The are all sent to foster care so they don't get sick. That was good news since placing kittens is a whole lot easier than an older cat.
There is not a "no kill shelter" for dogs here so they go to the pound and take any dog that they deem adoptable and try to place them. They also do not bring in puppies because they also foster them out so they don't get sick. The only puppies that are there are a few that they attempt to keep isolated for two weeks while they watch for Parvo. They have wide open pens and dog houses outside for the bigger older dogs. They are really sad that they can't keep them inside but I'm sure they are healthier out in the fresh air than they would be inside. I know it's cold but it beats being sick!!
SPACE is the whole problem here! I was told that they have a bill before the city council now trying to get a larger building. I plan to get more involved with trying to get public awareness. My sister-in-law and best friend is the Director of the Chamber of Commerce and I was talking to her about the situation. She was totally unaware and said that she was going to think on how they could help. Step one in progress!!!
I can really stir things up by contacting the media and all that but I want to be careful about what I do because I don't want someone to come in and say that because of this over crowding that a bunch of these cats that can eventually get well have to be put down. I could not live with that!!
Update on the few cats I mentioned. The very sick and sad white fluffy kitty was PTS last night when the vet came in. I feel like he is now at peace.
The little kitten that was so sick looked a lot better last night. Her stool has hardened up and I did not here her wheeze. She has pnuemonia and I'm hoping she will hang in there. She was improved last night. Another YEA!!!
There is one ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL tabby that I was told came in perfectly healthy. He is leash trained and came from what sounds like a fairly good home. He came to the shelter as a product of divorce. He was adopted quickly but he got sick anyway and they returned him. He now has URI and last night they found a large blister/ulcer on his eye. He is the sweetest thing!! He is only sick because he was brought there. That is what is so so sad.
I held and loved lots of kitties last night and it was wonderful. I met and got to know many more last night. I will not be going back until Monday night. I wish I could give them more time but the two late nights have already taken their toll. I'm worn out and I have to spend time with my babies. So the plan right now is Monday and Thursday nights I will be there and Saturdays when I'm needed.
What I would like to request from all you wonderful PT friends is that you pray and pray hard for these animals and this shelter. I would like for you to also pray for me that I do the right things to help these animals and these people. I do not want to get so gung ho that I end up hurting them. I know the power of PT prayers and I really believe there is hope here. They just need a larger space for isolation and room for more cages. If there is more needed I will let everyone know.
Thanks to you all for all your kind words and thoughts and for supporting me through this. I couldn't quit volunteering now if I wanted to. I can't just walk away no matter how much it hurts!

Laura's Babies
01-30-2004, 08:17 AM
I am 110% behind you and I will continue to pray for help to come soon. I am so glad you posted a update because this really has had me upset. Bless your heart and kiss all them little babies for me and tell them "WE ARE ROOTIN' for them!!

I was so amazed to hear Science Diet donates the food! I have use this for ALL my babies for many years and now, I am so glad I have!

(I still thing they need a web sight)

catlover4ever
01-30-2004, 08:28 AM
I saw your post yeasterday and read it but just did not know what to say at the time. My heart broke and still does for the kitties and for you. I don't think I would have the strength to do what you do, but I am behind you 100%. I will keep you and the shelter in my prayers that a bigger building come in the near future. Keep up the good work and keep letting us know how it is going. --- Meg

jazzcat
01-30-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm glad to hear there are some steps being taken to try to improve things. Hopefully they will get that larger space from the city council.

You are right about the media. I would hate to cause a problem and draw too much attention to the overcrowding. After I suggested that to you I got the thinking it might not be a good idea right now. I think you said James was going to PetsMart to be adopted? I hope they are really promoting the adoptions there - that's one way to help without drawing attention to the actual shelter.

Hang in the there and keep coming here for support!

catcrazylady
01-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Ok guys here is the web address for this shelter. I think you can see they are really putting forth a valiant effort.
www.shelby.petfinder.org
I talked to the director a few minutes ago and she thinks you guys are wonderful!! I told her I was putting the website out here for you all to view and for those of you who wish to donate. She also informed me that the county gave them $15,000 dollars last year and they are helping fund a new building for the county dog shelter. She said because of that the timing may not be great for them to get to much help right now but there is hope for the future. Also they are not affiliated with the county or city. This is the humane society and survive only on donations and volunteers.
Keep praying everyone!!!! There might be hope yet!!!

kimlovescats
01-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Lisa, this update sounds much more encouraging! I know the plight is still serious about the overcrowding issue, but it now sounds like these people are definitely dedicated to these babies...and will be open to suggestion and HELP!

Hang in there, Lisa .... you are an amazing woman!:)

kimlovescats
01-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Lisa, this update sounds much more encouraging! I know the plight is still serious about the overcrowding issue, but it now sounds like these people are definitely dedicated to these babies...and will be open to suggestion and HELP!

Hang in there, Lisa .... you are an amazing woman!:)

sirrahbed
01-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Today sounds so much more encouraging. I really let the first day get ME sad. Geez...and I wasn't even the one there! So glad that the kitten who "just wanted to do kitten things" is feeling better:D Also, sad for the old white cat, but better out of misery than sick and alone. I am putting this frustration into the blankets. I am very proud of you Lisa and that you are doing what I can't!! I will keep you in my prayers as well as the little creatures that He also made and loves!! Go girl!!!:D

Would you like for some of us to mail our blankets to your shelter? Do they have a washing machine in the house?? It might be nice for YOU to feel surrounded by things we have made as well - just an idea. I would be glad to mail them. How about a donation of easy to clean toys for the cages?? Please let us know practical ways to help, OK?

catcrazylady
01-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Any kind of donations are welcome I'm sure. I really see a need for toys!! They have to soak them in bleach water off and on so a lot of them don't survive! Cloth stuff doesn't hold up! I was thinking about balls even though they have very little space to knock them around! The problem is they knock things out of the cages and they end up getting lost. I really don't know what is a good toy that can be cleaned and still reused. I'll ask questions about that. I think anything would be welcome but I have a feeling that catnip toys could cause an uprising if only one or two cages had them!!!
I thought the building was coming down last night! I was hearing all this banging so I went to see what was up. There was a major play fest going on in one of the sick cages! It was cute. I know its horrible to see two to three per small cage but they tell me that it also helps keep them from being lonely. Especially the younger ones.
I know that I sound more optimistic today but I put up a wall over my heart when I went in last night. I felt a little more comfortable with the surroundings and started taking cats from cages and just loving the tar out of them!!! There is no place to go so you just stand in front of the cage or sit on the floor. While your loving that one there are five more pulling at you. You just need twenty hands. The other sad part is that they beg you to love them but as soon as you open a cage door they run to the back. They are all medicated so much that they just know they are about to get scruffed! It's hard to convince them to come to the front on thier own. Some of them looked me square in the eye with that I'm going to trust you look and timidly came forward. Once they know that you are not going to give them medicine they become loudly purring, headbutting, balls of love!! That is so wonderful and so heartbreaking at the same time. You hate to put them back but there are so many more that need you. A few minutes is all you can give and you still don't get them all!
You know Sirrahbed you said you hugged and kissed your kitties after reading this. I came home and looked at my beautiful and fortunate babies. My first reaction was to love each and everyone of them with the biggest hug I could give without causing pain!!
Since then I have been giving them the lecture on why their little spoiled rotten butts should be a little more grateful!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

cutie_chica
01-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Theyprobably think of you as a godess... being there and playing with them... Prayers are on the way to get them some good homes.:)

dukedogsmom
01-30-2004, 12:08 PM
This sounds a lot more promising than your initial entry. I pictured a very unclean place and lots of kitties that didn't get attention. So, I'm happy to hear the update. We will all be thinking about everyone and hoping that they get the funding/new building that they so desperately need. I just now saw your second entry. What about those toys that have dangly things on sticks? If you could find one that could be cleaned, you wouldn't have to worry about losing it because you would have it in your hand.

Laura's Babies
01-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Had to assure myself that they really had one and got all the info needed. They WILL be hearing from me, I promise you that!

Now, for a toy.. How about some of those plastic Easter eggs glued together. They can slap those around to their hearts content and are plastic so they will bounce all over and can be cleaned often. Anyone have a good stash of those? I have one that my son ran a shoe string through and it is tied on the back of my kitchen chair (for going on 2 YEARS now!) that these kitties play with for hours. It can be tied on the roof of their cage (if it is opened) and they can slap at it and watch it swing.. Just look around the house, my kitties play with ANYTHING! Any old 35mm canisters? I use to put a few beans or a bell in my old ones and they would have a ball.. Even those empty spools of thread. Hay, kitties do not care of you paid $100 for it or got it from the garbage, if it is slapable, they'll play with it!

added note; I have emailed and asked if it is ok if I mail them the blankets I have done so far.:) :) :)

Laura's Babies
01-31-2004, 08:20 AM
I heard back from the shelter already and she said they will be glad to take those blankets for the kitties!! YIPIEE!! Now, to find a box!

catcrazylady
01-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Laura! You are sooo sweeet! How very kind of you to go to all this trouble!!
I know that my last few posts have made things sound better but I am trying so hard to find the positive. The situation is still grim and sad but I didn't want anyone to think that these people were bad. They are so overwhelmed with trying to raise funds, run the spay/nueter clinic, transport well kitties, and keep everything supplied that they depend on volunteers to try to do the care giving. They have lots of teens that come in but there is no one to do adult supervision and that is what they hope I can do on Saturdays. Some of the kids have a tendancy to get side tracked!
I'm doing what little I can to try to start some more support. I'm taking my sister-in-law with me Monday. She is the Director of the Chamber of Commerce and has constant contact with many of the businesses in our area. She also handles lots of fund raisers so I'm hoping she can come up with fresh new ideas and help us put it together. It's a beginning!!!! I'm excited but I know its going to take time.
I'm also going to see what I can do to get their wedsite updated. They maintain the home page real well but the pictures haven't been updated in some time. Most of the kitties aren't on there because they are too sick to be adopted.
Bless you Laura and all these kind people who are helping out any shelter!!! I think everyone should at least take a tour through their local shelter because it is a real eye opener!! I know I was shocked!

Laura's Babies
01-31-2004, 06:56 PM
I pm'ed you again with one idea if you haven't thought about it already. Wish you were closer so I could help out on the days you are not there or just do more. I will be leaving to go back to work soon and I want to hear what all has been started while I was gone upon my return. I love these babies and I wish I could do so much more... Like adopt them ALL!

Good luck with what you do and I am sure God will bless you and those babies for your efforts.