PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering

robinh
01-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I just received notification that I've been accepted to do volunteer work at our local no-kill shelter! I'm going to work a couple of hours a week to start.

I've been looking for something like this to do, but I didn't want to work at a kill shelter. Wouldn't be able to do it. And this way I get to be around dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens without taking anymore home. (Dick thinks we have enough! Have you every heard of such a thing?)

YEAH!!
:D

Moose
01-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Yay, congrats!

robinh
01-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks! I'm really excited to do this. Have thought about it for a long time and the encouraging things I've heard from other people here made me take a step towards doing it.

lovemyshiba
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds like fun Robin!!

I think your husband and mine must be secretly talking--there's no such thing as too many dogs!!!!!!;)

robinh
01-30-2004, 12:05 PM
If I won the lottery, my sister and I would start a day care/rescue. To us there is no such thing as too many. We love puppies and dogs - all kinds and all sizes. The two guys just roll their eyes at us :rolleyes: and we just smile back :p (well sort of smile?!?)

slick
01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by robinh
And this way I get to be around dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens without taking anymore home. :D
Famous last words :D :D Congratulations! You'll find shelter work to be so rewarding.

jenluckenbach
01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Congratulations and have fun but if you think you won't be bringing any more home then you are kidiing yourslef.......but you did NOT hear that from ME! :p ;) :D

binka_nugget
01-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by robinh
And this way I get to be around dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens without taking anymore home.

HAHA! The moment you see those animals, that thought will leave your head! On my first day as a volunteer, we adopted the first dog I saw, Kaedyn.:p

robinh
02-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, did my first shift as a volunteer. I'm remembering my famous last words of "not taking any home", but it's hard. Did see a long haired dachshund in the puppy kennel before going to work. Would have put her in my pocket, but they said she is scheduled for heart surgery soon. Will keep an eye on her and maybe take Dick to meet her when she's better (which would make it a guarantee take home dog). :D :D

Worked in the older dog kennel last night. Some really great dogs there. from one year to 17 years old. Knew it would be grunt work (cleaning, walking, feeding, etc.) but realize now just how out of shape I really am. I'm tired today, but I feel really good about this tired.

Kind of an interesting place. They don't allow people to just wander around and pick out a dog. They interview first, see what kind of dog a person is looking for, what their situation is and what kind of arrangements the dog will be living in - then they help select a dog for the person that will fit. Said they tried it the other way and had too people bring the dogs back. This way there is a better chance the dog will last a lifetime with the new people.

Great people there too.