PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Question!!

DogLover9501
01-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Okay well Jasper is the first dog we bath ourselves, the other 2 get bathed at the groomers about once a month.

How often should I bath him? We have had him for 3 months, and I have bathed him once :confused:

I was thinking of doing it tomorrow, when I get more film of course, to take tons of baff pics for you guys!(I also have lots of outside pictures--with LOTS of snow comming for you guys on friday!!) :D

Anyway back to baths, how often should I be doing it, and is there a certain kind of shampoo good for puppies? I used Johnsons baby shampoo the first time, because it's mild.

aly
01-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Johnson's baby shampoo is really good to use for puppies. That is what I use to bathe my newborns (only if they really need a bath - like if they came out of a ditch). They also sell puppy shampoo at pet stores. If you continue to use Johnson's (since it is made for humans), only use it once a month so it doesn't make Jasper get dry or itchy skin. You can use dog-specific shampoo more often than once a month though.

You're the best judge on how often to bathe Jasper, just be sure not to do it too much. Boxers have pretty short hair so I imagine he'll stay clean longer than some other breeds.

DogLover9501
01-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Okay thanks, yeah he never seems dirty, but its been 2 months..., it may be able to wait until it warms up a little, I just figure I needed to bath him a bit more as a puppy to get him used to the idea, as he was only about 8 weeks old the first time, and now hes almost 5 months!

dukedogsmom
01-29-2004, 12:00 AM
I *try* to bathe Duke at least once a month. But you've got to remember that it's hot down here a lot and he's got really long hair. I've got to bathe him tomorrow. He's actually starting to smell like a dog :D

DogLover9501
01-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Yeah its freezing here with tons of snow, so he wouldnt be able to go out for a while, hmm I will probably wait a while then!

Thanks everyone :D

Shelteez2
01-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I would bath him about once a month.
If the baby shampoo works for him and his skin then great. I have heard that it can dry out a dog's skin, but who knows. If his skin looks fine then no worries :)

I find that dogs with a short coat like boxers, dobermans, etc tend to get that doggy smell faster than other breeds. Their coats just seem to get more oily and attract dirt faster.

As a basic guidline I go by petting my dog. If I feel like I have to wash my hands after petting them....they get a bath!!! LOL

Tonya
01-29-2004, 06:52 AM
I keep telling myself that I'm going to bathe my pets once a week, but I usually wind up bathing them about every other month.

DogLover9501
01-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I find that dogs with a short coat like boxers, dobermans, etc tend to get that doggy smell faster than other breeds.

Well I think that depends on how much the dog is outside, as when we have a black lab, he smelled like dog alot, but as for Jasper, he isnt an outside dog, he goes out to do his business and right back in, so he doesnt usually smell unless its raining or snowing

cali
01-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I bathe my dogs no more then 2-3 times a year. although blair may need it a bit more because his coat litterlly picks up EVERYTHING, including smells! poor little guy, he has to be brushed everyday as well because he has a cording coat, and there is no way we are letting his coat cord! :eek:

My Peanuts
01-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I bathe Sylvia and Harley about once a month. I use puppy shampoo on both of them, but only until the bottle runs out. I wouldn't use the Johnson's baby shampoo because it is only for the head and it will make Jasper itchy. It'd be like using shampoo all over your body. Hope this helps.

Moose
01-29-2004, 04:24 PM
It depends on the time of the year. Normally, in the cooler months, I bathe Moose every month or so...sometimes twice if he really needs it. However, in the warmer months, I bathe him much more often. It gets pretty hot down here, and so he tends to get dirtier faster. Also, I normally take Moose to the beach to swim when during the summer/spring/early fall...which means I bathe him a lot more.

As far as shampoo goes, I know they make special shampoo just for puppies. :) I'm sure you'd be able to find something at your local pet store.

Even though it is cold outside, it doesn't mean your dog doesn't need a bath...and don't think that just because Jasper is outside for only short periods of time, he won't get dirty! After all, bathing is one of the many joys of dog ownership! :p:)

clara4457
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't bath Leo or Penny at all in the winter. It is so cold here and since I have radiator heat - it is virtually impossible to get a room warm enough to get them completely dry. I just brush them regularly. Leo at least every other day and Penny Lane about twice a week. I only use the Oatmeal shampoo made especially for dogs. It is expensive, but since I don't bath them that often - it lasts at least a year. In the summer, when they are out in the yard more, I bath them more often, but never more than once a month - I think it causes their skin and coats to dry out.

Neither one has a doggie smell. I love reaching down and giving Leo a big hug and putting my face in his beautiful hair. :D

Chris J
01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
I was told that 4 times a year is good and when Holly got her Hydro Surge Bath they used baby shampoo for her face area.

Check out the HydroSurge Bath Video I posted yesterday.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42801

DogLover9501
01-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Even though it is cold outside, it doesn't mean your dog doesn't need a bath...

I know lol but I meant it'll be too cold for him to go out for a long time because he'll need to dry completely before going outside to pee

Moose
01-29-2004, 08:54 PM
I know lol but I meant it'll be too cold for him to go out for a long time because he'll need to dry completely before going outside to

True, true. Although, if you have a hairdryer you can just dry him off with that. Just a little tidbit for ya...just in case he starts to get smelly before it gets warmer out. ;):D