PDA

View Full Version : i have a question about tea...

tikeyas_mom
01-28-2004, 12:33 AM
does tea have caffine in it???

:confused:

Crikit
01-28-2004, 12:35 AM
it all depends on the type of tea really. The majority of teas does have it in but some of the herbal or green teas does not.

tikeyas_mom
01-28-2004, 12:41 AM
humm... *lost in though*...

my mom says that the tea we drink has caffine, and i didnt believe her so i asked you guys ahhaa.

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Tea that is made from leaves of the tea tree has caffeine. Not as much as coffee, but more than soda. It's often called black tea, pekoke tea, green tea, etc. It's all the same plant, it's just processed or flavored differently.

Herbal tea is made from plants other then the tea tree, for example chamomile flowers or orange peels. These teas do not contain caffeine.

tikeyas_mom
01-28-2004, 12:43 AM
weired, no wonder my mom wont let me mix tea and coffee together haha. i'll have a caffine over load.

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 12:46 AM
MMmmmm Tea!

I had a cup of Green Tea the other night.. It tastes so good and feels so good on a soar throat. Especially adding some honey to it.. Mmmm.... I think i'll go make some now!:D

tikeyas_mom
01-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
MMmmmm Tea!

I had a cup of Green Tea the other night.. It tastes so good and feels so good on a soar throught. Especially adding some honey to it.. Mmmm.... I think i'll go make some now!:D

its funny cuz i am drinking teah too!! haha

popcornbird
01-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Green tea and some other teas don't, but most teas DO...........:p

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 12:50 AM
OH, BTW, it is possible to de-caffeinate tea, just like it is possible to de-caffeinate coffee. So, you can buy de-caffeinated black or green tea, that is made from tea tree leaves.

Got it? LOL ;)

Kfamr, I know! I drink hot tea with lemon and honey every time I get a sore throat.

My grandpa used to make it like that ... but with whiskey in it, too. Tasted HORRID, but it certainly worked! I don't make it like that now, but I certainly remember choking it down as a kid. Maybe we just got well out of self-defense.

Shelteez2
01-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Mmmmmm whiskey.......uh....ummmm I mean Mmmmmmm tea!!!! LOL

wolf_Q
01-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwww :o

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Green tea and some other teas don't, but most teas DO...........:p

Actually, green tea DOES contain caffeine, unless you buy green tea that has been de-caffeinated. Natural green tea contains caffeine.

Green tea and black tea is exactly the same product, it comes from the exact same leaves of the same tea tree. The only difference is in how it is prepared.

Green tea is tea leaves that are harvested fresh, hence "green", and dried quickly. Black tea is allowed to ferment and dry slowly, hence "black". Same plant, though, therefore same amount of caffeine.

popcornbird
01-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Actually, green tea DOES contain caffeine, unless you buy green tea that has been de-caffeinated. Natural green tea contains caffeine.

Really? The green tea we buy has no caffine though. :confused: I guess there are different kinds then, because the one we buy is not decaffinated. Its naturally caffine-free. Maybe a different plant.

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Really? The green tea we buy has no caffine though. :confused: I guess there are different kinds then, because the one we buy is not decaffinated. Its naturally caffine-free. Maybe a different plant.

Beats me. I drink chai tea, and I am always after ALL the caffeine I can get!

;)

tikeyas_mom
01-28-2004, 12:58 AM
i thought green tea doesnt have caffine, weird...

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Well, the box of green tea in my pantry right now is definately caffeinated ... and I like it that way! :)

Here are some links about green tea and caffeine:

http://www.adagio.com/info/caffeine.html

http://www.theteaguys.com/

popcornbird
01-28-2004, 01:25 AM
I went downstairs to the kitchen, ***just*** to check out our green tea box. It says *Herbal Green Tea.........Caffine Free*. *Herbal* green tea.............hmmm.............I guess that's why its caffine free then! :p Wierd. I always thought green tea had no caffine! Now I know it does have caffine; just less, and that our's doesn't because its *herbal* green tea. Thanks for the links Twisty! :D

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the links Twisty!

No problem. I have no life. I'm on the computer at 12:30 am, posting links about green tea. How pathetic is that?!? :rolleyes: ;)

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 01:30 AM
I wonder if mine has caffiene in it. It doesn't say anything aobut Herbal of Caffiene Free, So I assume it does. It just says "Green Tea".

Mmmm... I love the smell of it! :p

popcornbird
01-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
No problem. I have no life. I'm on the computer at 12:30 am, posting links about green tea. How pathetic is that?!? :rolleyes: ;)

And what about me? Running downstairs through the dark house and into the kitchen, just to check our green tea box and report it to PT'ers! LOL! :p

trayi52
01-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Green tea does come in decaf, and with caffeine. I usually have to buy the tea that is decaf because my husband is not suppose to have caffeine due to a heart condition.

Me I drink any of it, even if it has cafeine. Like my coffee, got to have the kind with cafeine.

I'm old I can drink it if I want it!!;) I love that excuse!

Willie

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
And what about me? Running downstairs through the dark house and into the kitchen, just to check our green tea box and report it to PT'ers! LOL! :p

I'm pretty pathetic too cause I did the same thing. :p :o

Uabassoon
01-28-2004, 03:14 AM
For some reason I can't stand tea, it all tastes like dirt to me. I've tried every type of tea, and it all tastes like dirt! I always try it because people always say "well try this tea, trust me it's the best" yet for some reason even the best still tastes yucky. I do like chai, but only in latte form (meaning lots of honey, cream, and milk). But regular chai sadly tastes like dirt.

K9soul
01-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Every night, I drink a hot cup of Chamomile tea with a bit of honey in it before bed. Chamomile is a little herbal flower that is used to relax, or help indigestion etc. I also drink a glass if I have an upset tummy and it often is very soothing. That type of tea is not caffeinated.

Tea can actually be made of all kinds of ingredients. Taking the leaves or buds a plant and boiling it in water basically makes a tea. I'm not sure how they decaffeinate coffee and teas that naturally have caffeine. I know old herbal remedies often are various herbs made into infusions or teas. One kind of tea versus another can taste as different as night and day, it all depends on the plant used.

Twisterdog
01-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I do like chai, but only in latte form (meaning lots of honey, cream, and milk). But regular chai sadly tastes like dirt.

Oh, me too .... milk, sugar ... a zillion calories. I'm probably the only person who has gained weight from drinking tea. But I don't care. ;)

jenfer
01-30-2004, 12:37 AM
I love tea. Tea is good for you. I believe some has caffine, some don't. Just read the box. :) I even heard that some tea has more caffine than coffee??!! :confused: I love milk tea and coffee tea (the mixture of the two)...yum!!! Anyone like bubble tea? I used to like it, now I don't care too much. heehee... :D

Twisterdog
01-30-2004, 12:41 AM
What is bubble tea?

Kfamr
01-30-2004, 01:10 AM
I just had a warm glass of green tea with honey because I woke up with a soar throat. I feel much, much better now! :D