PDA

View Full Version : I learned to straighten hair today.....the easy way...

carole
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
My niece on my husbands side, called in today, and asked if would Iron her hair, I said "what with an Iron,"? "yep" she says," I have a job interview at the beauty shop, and so can you do it?"
So there we are ,her on the floor, me ironing her lovely long blonde hair, gosh the results are really cool though,(sure not going to let my daughter know how to do this yet) she has a natural wave, and would love dead straight hair) alway's want what you have not got, she is a natural ash blonde and wants black hair too, FORGET IT!!

Do any of you out there do this procedure, just curious? I would think it would be kinda bad for your hair in the long run, but she say's its better than using hair straightners, and takes half the time.

Well let's hope it help's her get the job.

slick
01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Ironing your hair was a fad in the late 60's early 70's and yup, been there, done that.

Moose
01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Oh yes...my flat iron is my absolute best friend! :p

I love it...although I'm pretty much positive it isn't the slightest bit good for my hair. I don't know what I'd do without it, though. :D

GoldenRetrLuver
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I thought using an iron for your hair was bad for it...? Or at least that's what I've heard. :p

People say they're jealous of my hair. It's naturally straight, and sometimes it has a little "wave" at the bottom. So, I don't need to do anything to it. ;)

RubyMutt
01-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I LOVE my flat iron. My hair looks all crazy, wavy (waves look good on some people, but NOT me, my waves are all irregular and just plain look silly), and poofy when I don't use it :p

I'm sure it's not great for my hair, but that's just too bad :o At least my hair *looks* healthier when I use it ;)

Felicia's Mom
01-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I first remember ironing hair back when the Beatles were popular. (My hair is naturally curley and I have never ironed it.)

guster girl
01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
My hair is straight, straight, straight. But, I also use a flat iron because it makes it look shiny and sleek. I know it's not good for my hair, but, I don't know a single person that can say they don't do something that isn't good for them. ;) Hey, I don't smoke or drink or eat junk food, I can use a flat iron! I've heard that an iron works faster, but, I've never tried it.

Tweety_Pie
01-27-2004, 08:11 PM
It works really well, buuuuuuuut you have to be soooo careful! My friend was ironing her hair and the iron gave her 2nd degree burns *maybe 3rd I don't remember* on her face because she was doing it by herself and she missed her hair!:eek: She ended up missing like a month of school, but she's all better now..her face still is has a bit of a scar though:eek:

Karen
01-27-2004, 08:23 PM
I've heard of it, never done it though. As long as you use moderate heat, it can't be any worse for your hair than hot blow-driers!

My hair used to be stick-straight, it has gotten wavier over the years, and now it varies day to day!

Amber
01-27-2004, 08:34 PM
My flat Iron is my baby! I use it everyday, and it makes my hair sooo straight! I love it!!
:D

G.P.girl
01-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
My hair is straight, straight, straight. But, I also use a flat iron because it makes it look shiny and sleek. I know it's not good for my hair, but, I don't know a single person that can say they don't do something that isn't good for them. ;) Hey, I don't smoke or drink or eat junk food, I can use a flat iron! I've heard that an iron works faster, but, I've never tried it.
lol! i agree! i use a flatiron on my hair...i would lovve to have sttraight hair! my dad is black and my mom is white so i have hair that's kinda wavy and poofy...i feel so much better about myself and more cinfident when i ahve my hair straightened...i'll post before and after pics this weekkend:)

Tonya
01-27-2004, 08:44 PM
In highschool, when I had permed hair, I used to use a clothes iron on my hair to straighten it. It works great, but it is bad for your hair. A clothes iron is much hotter then an average hair appliance.

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I remember using an iron on hair to straighten it....around the same time we used juice cans as curlers to get that straight look. Imagine sleeping with a bunch of juice cans on your head!!!!!

Lorraine
01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
I would think that a iron, probably wouldn't do much more damage than a hair flat iron. Defintatley much more dangerous to use a clothe's iron. that is my professional opinion. I am a hairstylist. So true, most people do bad things to their hair including myself, and I know better! My hair is fried, dyed, and thrown to the side. Well, not excatly, I just think that is a funny saying! lol

carole
01-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Well All your comments were interesting, one I Never knew it was a fad in 60's and 70's, I sure never did it, two I never realised so many girl's did that with their hair today, I think my clothes Iron is pretty good, as it has one of those covers on it, and we only used it on low, but I was amazed at how well it works.

Straight hair is all the fashion at the moment, but I think I will stick with my waves , thank's ,Ironing the clothes is bad enough, without ironing my hair everyday lol.:)

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 01:43 AM
A few of my friends have told me how they iron their hair to make it straight.

I don't do it though, all I do is brush mine. :p

tomkatzid
01-28-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by slick
Ironing your hair was a fad in the late 60's early 70's and yup, been there, done that.
dito ;) not to date myself or anything, but...

carole
01-28-2004, 01:59 AM
I think us Kiwis must have been behind the times , as I really donot remember Ironing hair at all, in my teens, no-one I knew did,perhaps it was a fad that just did not come here.:)

lynnestankard
01-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Aaahhhh Memories - Memories!!

Yes - I too ironed my hair in the 60's - although I always put a piece of brown paper over the hair before it was ironed.

Coke cans as hair rollers - YES!

What about sellotape over your fringe at bedtime? Anyone else remember? :eek:

Lynne

PS I bought Elizabeth a ceramic hair straightener for Christmas and yes she too has dead straight hair like her Mum!!!:D

Edwina's Secretary
01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
What about sellotape over your fringe at bedtime?

It was a special "hair" tape! Pink with fringed edges. That way your bangs (or fringe) hung far down in front of your eyes....the better to annoy your mother!

moosmom
01-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Aaahhhh Memories - Memories!!

YAY!!!! I remember ironing my hair in high school. I also remember my Mom wearing curlers (the brush kind that hurt like hell!!) to bed with toilet paper wrapped around her head to keep her bangs in place!!!

My Mom also curled my hair with strips of an old bedsheet. God, I miss her!

Boy, does that ever bring back FOND memories! Anyone remember Spoolies????