PDA

View Full Version : Kurby May Be Hurt!

K & L
01-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Last night during our feeding we noticed Kurby not acting quite himself. He was way off in a distance and we called for him to come eat. He walked VERY slowly and looked like he was in pain. He made it to the food, but just didn’t seem to feel good. We went home to get a carrier to try and capture him to take to the vet. We got back and of course no Kurby. We drove all over the park calling and shining the headlights hoping to see him. Kevin went again this morning and still no Kurby. We’re going tonight and hopefully he’ll come around to eat. Wish us luck!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pdb0b2f70018baaffae1800e747bcfe8d/fb0d20e4.jpg

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
WOW, Kurby is gorgeous!!! Oh, I do hope that sweet boy is alright!!! :confused: Kurby, please come out tonight and let Lisa and Kevin take a look!!!

Please keep us updated!!!

slick
01-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Praying that Kurby will show his beautiful face tonight.....

sirrahbed
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
What a handsome cat!! He sure has a full tail compared to the rest of his body doesn't he? Hope he shows up tonight and that there is nothing too serious wrong.:(

spunkymeow
01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
COME HOME KURBY! I HOPE HE COMES HOME SAFE AND SOUND.

catcrazylady
01-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Prayers are on the way that you find Kurby. What a beautiful boy!!

Laura's Babies
01-27-2004, 06:45 PM
May he come home and be alright. Sure is a pretty baby!

jenluckenbach
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Best of luck with Kurby, you know he is one of my favorites!

leslie flenner
01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Is this a friendly cat you could get into a carrier? Or will he need trapped. Well, if it comes to trapping and he's so injured he stops eating, try catnip... good luck.
Actually, if you can go to his area at dusk and put down a bit of catnip in various spots where you can watch from your car, he may wonder along and the catnip will slow him down for several minutes, maybe more...

K & L
01-27-2004, 08:20 PM
WE GOT HIM!!! Appears his right hip may be hurt or injured. Kevin was able to put him in a carrier, so saved us from using a trap. We will get him in the vet first thing in the morning. We're just going to walk-in and hope they'll make room for us. We will also ask them to neuter him since he is next to the last to be fixed at the park. This will be a pricey vet bill since we will be taking him to our regular vet and not the AzCATs clinic. OH WELL.... Kurby will make the total TNR'd at the park around 100 now! Wish Kurby luck there's nothing real serious with his hip!

moosmom
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
WAY TO GO K&L!!! I'm so glad Kurby is finally where he should be...with you guys!! Here's praying he'll be fine once the white coats give him the once over.

slick
01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Great news!!!! Be good for the whitecoats Kurby. They are only trying to help you feel better.

Bless you guys for all you do for the park cats. You will be rewarded.

AvaJoy
01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Glad you got to him . . . he must have known you meant only to help him and willingly let Kevin capture without need of a trap. :)

Hope his hip is better soon and your vet bill isn't too high . . . :rolleyes:

Lorraine
01-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Glad Kurby came home. Good luck with your vet vist, I hope you feel better very soon! You are so beautiful Kurby!

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh Lisa... that is such WONDERFUL news!!! Praying that Kurby is just a little sore from a slight mishap, and will be neutered and healthy again really soon! One HUNDRED TNRd from the park.... WAY TO GO!!!! Have you funded all of these yourself??? :eek:

You do such a wonderful service to these kitties.... you WILL be BLESSED!!! :)

catnapper
01-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Glad to hear you've got him! Hoping that nothing is too serious and that he'll be up to running with the gang again!

leslie flenner
01-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Congradulations! you must have been shaking with glee! Since he was kind enough to get into a carrier, is he kind enough to be given a home? He sounds like he might be..
Funny, my friend jan has a "Kirby" whose a twistie cat and on top of that has a back leg that every now and then pops out. The 1st time she noticed it, it was because he wasn't moving , hiding and not eating. But at the vets, it had popped back in on the ride there- vet knew immediatly what the problem was. So Kirby's hip pops out and Kirby's hip pops in, this is part of the legacy of these Twistie cat breeders!
But none-the-less! thank god you got him! Can you pat him?

moosmom
01-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Leslie,

Is THIS what you are referring to??

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/bendy/image001.jpg

Or, unlike the "twistie cat" who is deformed from inbreeding are you referring to the Munchkin, which is a breed of cat??

leslie flenner
01-27-2004, 11:51 PM
hi!!!!!!!
yes! I'm referring to those purposely bred twistie cats! A few years ago, there were petitions out to stop the breeding but I have not heard about success or not on this..
Jan has a few Twistie cats- But, I Believe, they were accidents (maybe not all, but with dumped cats, like Willy, - did you read his story?- you just don't know if they came from a breeder, pet store or what..
Who's the twistie in your photo (so cute) Jan's little Thumbalina twistie has many medical concerns to this day- she is, I think, about 6 or 7 years old now- did you see Thumbalina's picture?

leslie flenner
01-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Forgot to clarify- yes it's a deformity from inbreeding but then purposely bred by 2 women who were making a fortune (I suppose) on breeding them, advertised nationally and, I believe, in court, could not be legally stopped (result of petitions was no, nothing can be done, and yet, I've heard no more about these 2 breeders- they were very active! and verbal!)

jazzcat
01-27-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm happy to hear you now have Kurby in your care. Prayers are on the way that everything goes smoothly for him at the vet.

Barbara
01-28-2004, 02:58 AM
Glad to hear you were able to get Kurby in the carrier. I hope so much he'll be ok:)

catcrazylady
01-28-2004, 05:38 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! I'm so glad you were able to find Kurby!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
OMG! 100 cats TNR'd!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, AND BLESS YOU SOME MORE!
Let us know how Kurby is doing!!

jenluckenbach
01-28-2004, 06:11 AM
glad you got Kurby good luck at the vet.

K & L
01-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Oh Lisa... that is such WONDERFUL news!!! Praying that Kurby is just a little sore from a slight mishap, and will be neutered and healthy again really soon! One HUNDRED TNRd from the park.... WAY TO GO!!!! Have you funded all of these yourself??? :eek:

You do such a wonderful service to these kitties.... you WILL be BLESSED!!! :)

Yes, we pay for everything out of our pocket, including the daily feedings of all these ferals. Since we've been TNRing, around 5 years now, there's probably around 35 - 40 cats left that we feed daily. Volunteering with AzCATs has helped reduce the cost of the spay & neuter, but the feeding is on our own! We love doing this though, and will continue to do so until we're unable. When/if that be the case we will make sure someone takes over the colony! Kurby was NOT happy last night. He was hissing and swating, but hopefully will be better soon! Kurby will let Kevin touch him, but no one else. I'm sure if we could find someone that was willing to work and be patient, he could be tamed. We named him Kurby because he would always wait by the curb to be fed!:D

sqwelch
01-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by leslie flenner
hi!!!!!!!
yes! I'm referring to those purposely bred twistie cats! A few years ago, there were petitions out to stop the breeding but I have not heard about success or not on this..
Jan has a few Twistie cats- But, I Believe, they were accidents (maybe not all, but with dumped cats, like Willy, - did you read his story?- you just don't know if they came from a breeder, pet store or what..

You guys have completely lost me, what is a twistie cat ? and what is wrong with the breed ? (Sorry I've never heard of them :confused: )

Fingers crossed for Kurby, he was very good getting into the carrier, must of known you were trying to help !!! Someone else had a good point, is he tame enough to become a much loved pet ??

K & L
01-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by sqwelch
Someone else had a good point, is he tame enough to become a much loved pet ??

Only if someone would be willing to take the time and have the patience to work with him until tamed! Right now he'll only let my husband near him.

CatDad
01-28-2004, 10:49 AM
I was so happy to hear that you got Kurby and he will be going to the vet.

Let us know how he is.

100 TNRs that is quite an accomplishment. Just had to say, wow, and way to go.:D

Uniqueviking
01-28-2004, 11:02 AM
What a beautiful boy. Best wishes to Kurby. I hope it's nothing serious!

kimlovescats
01-28-2004, 11:23 AM
You and Kevin are just awesome, Lisa!!! WOW, wish I had the funds to do what you do!!! GREAT JOB!!! "Hats off" to you both!:D

Felicia's Mom
01-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I am glad that you have Kurby, and will be taking him to the vet.

Randi
01-28-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm so very happy you got Kurby in the carrier and are taking him to the vet. I hope nothing serious is wrong!!

Get well, Kurby!! :)

K&L, you are simply the BEST!!

Lallypop11
01-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Aw, I hope Kurby is ok. Did I mention that you are such a great person for taking care of all the kitties that you do and the ones you feed in the park? I wish I had the resources to help that many kitties. That's why I plan on winning the lotto and opening up the coolest cat shelter/boutique in the world, I have even designed it, I just need the money now!

ramanth
01-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I hope Kurby is getting better! :)

K & L
01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
*UPDATE* Kurby’s hip isn’t fractured or broken, just appears it’s strained. He came through the neuter just fine and can be released to us this afternoon! Thank you all for your care and concern! We will get some updated pictures before we release him tomorrow!

K & L
01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Kurby resting after a full day at the vet.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pfc73386501b8691659fc9bb4a7773c49/f9c96a46.jpg

CatDad
01-28-2004, 09:21 PM
He looks like he his hissing, which means that he is doing OK. I had to smile because Bob does that at the vet.

I am happy to hear that all went well and that it is only a strain.:D

Looking forward to more pics.:D

sirrahbed
01-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Good for Kurby! Has his spunk back and just a slight injury:) This is all good news!!

K & L
01-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Kurby made it through the night just fine and is quite grumpy. I went to feed him and he started hissing and spiting, so figured we'll just leave food down for him when he gets released this morning!

catnapper
01-29-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm so glad that he's going well and has enough strength to hiss! He's such a nice looking cat.

Tonya
01-29-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm happy to hear that it was nothing serious! Bless you for making such a difference for these cats!

K & L
01-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Thank you! He's one my husband's favorite in the park. We were quite impressed with the vet. They gave him shots, treated for fleas, checked his hip, neutered and ear-tipped him and only charged us for the neuter! We were VERY surprised at that.:D

sqwelch
01-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Glad to hear Kurby is okay and recovering well from surgery. As CatDad says hissing is a good sign !!! Also glad you seem to of found a caring vet !!!

Killearn Kitties
01-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Excellent news. I'm glad Kurby wasn't badly hurt.

kimlovescats
01-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Lisa ... so glad to hear that Kurby did so well, and is ready to go back to his familiar surroundings!! Great vet you have there, too!
Another great job, Lisa ... congratulations!!!:)

catcrazylady
01-29-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm so glad that Kurby wasn't hurt to bad! He certainly looked and sounds spunky!! He is ready to go home!! He is a gorgeous cat!!
I hope your not sick of hearing it but...WOW! Another wonderful job!!
Thank you http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

NoahsMommy
01-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Good for you for noticing Kurby's injury. I'm sure its hard with all those park kitties.

Give him love for me...or, at least tell him I'm thinking of him. ;)

QueenScoopalot
01-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Moosmom...I know EXACTLY who that little kitten is that you posted a picture of! That's Bendy who was born like that (not bred) and his caretaker, a wonderful person put soft braces on his front legs to help straighten them out. It worked wonders and Bendy is a strapping large handsome boy. For those who haven't a clue what Leslie is talking about, twisty cats (I detest the term) are a genetic fluke between two cats that carry the polydactyl gene. The more pronounced form is called radial agenesis, I call it R/A, and the lesser form which Bendy has is radial hypoplasia (or R/H). Sorry but I refuse to use the term made up by that Texas Crackpot Vicki Speirs. I'm sure if you type her name into any search engine there's plenty to read. Luckily my sweet Kirby hasn't had his hip dislocate recently.

QueenScoopalot
01-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Here's Bendy all grown up! http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/bendy/ No pictures easy to find for my flock.

dukedogsmom
01-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Is he a stray? I really hope you find him. Poor baby. He's really pretty, too.